Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

doomisland posted:

Me after watching King 2 Hearts episode 7: :sbahj:

Trust me. Some the later parts hit just as hard, if not harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: Heroes

Finished: Yes
Episodes: 40
Starring: Noh Hong-Chul, Lee Hwi-Jae, Yoo In Na, Noh Sa-Yeon, IU, Shin Bong Sun, Nicole, Narsha, Jung Ga-Eun, Jiyeon, Seo In-Young, Lee Jin, Hong Soo-Ah, Kahi
Available: Fansubs

A group of ordinary people find that they have extraordinary abilities, manifesting in full after an eclipse. As their paths cross and mysteries unfold, they find they are part of something much bigger than themselves and must stop an explosion from devastating New York.

Wait... No, sorry, this is the Heroes show that DOESN'T suck. The premise here is you take 12 incredibly strong, independent, influential women from Korean entertainment, and put them together for some hilarious results.

With each new location they visit, the locals are polled to sort the women into two teams; the popular group and the unpopular group (mostly a framing device to switch up the teams each time, but done so to amusing effect). The teams then set out on their task, which is to lend a hand to a group of people of some sort. For example, the first task was visiting the national female rugby team, and the second one was to visit a unit of the coast guard. The two teams play games with and against one another, and do things to fulfill the wishes of the people they're there to visit, and at the end, their popularity is voted on again by those people.

If you've watched Running Man, a good chunk of those names should be familiar to you, as they've been guests on there, so you should know their charms. If you've watched Invincible Youth, you know how promising the idea of having a group of female celebrities hanging out together can be, and this show delivers on that front.

Really, my writing about it doesn't do it any justice, so you should just watch it. Unfortunately, the first couple episodes have some abysmal subs available for them, and the dedicated group for the show (SHSubs) is passable at best for the episodes after that, and haven't finished subbing all the episodes. But the fact the show is still so drat good despite that should tell you something. It's yet another show I'd be tempted to have a dedicated thread for, it's that good.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wow this sounds interesting, when did it air?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
July of 2010 to May of 2011. If you watch Running Man, you've probably seen previews of it run in some of the earlier episodes, because it was part of the same lineup.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I always thought Hong Chul was loud and irritating before heroes. Then I realised he is adorable and hilarious. Then I watched Infinity challenge and realised he's even much more than that.

I think Heroes may have been my introduction IU also.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Heroes is actually my introduction to Hong-Chul, though I'm aware of his other MC jobs. I've just never watched the other shows he's been on.

I'm also adoring the ever-living gently caress out of Yoo In-Na.

What happened to pHo, by the way? He stopped updating the OP. :(

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Viki has posted what the summer Korean drama schedule is going to look like. We'll be getting the Korean television version of the movie Big, and we'll also be getting a time-hopping doctor story. Interesting.

I have no idea who any of these actors are, so I can't comment on their big comebacks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Heroes is indeed AWESOME and totally worth your time if you're a fan of RM/IY/IC type variety shows. It's too bad the ratings forced the show to end after 40 episodes because once you get to know the cast, you really come to like every member, and you can tell how much they all grow to love each other. I wasn't a huge fan of the 'popularity vote' segment they did at the beginning of every taping, mostly because I felt bad for the members that consistently got low votes. Again, you grow to really like everyone, so a few of the 'lesser famous' girls kept getting their confidence busted. :(

Although all the girls were awesome, my favorite member by the end of the run was Hong Soo-Ah. I had no idea who she was when the show started, but once you see her go through the episodes where they shoot a film at the ski lodge, and the episode where they visit a high school and she opens up to a class of kids about the hardships she faced I couldn't help but really root for her. I always thought she and Noh Hong-Chul had the best chemistry as well, and wondered if anything was going on between them off-screen.

The only thing about the show that ended up sucking (through no fault of the show) was that KARA went through their huge contract dispute during the run of the show, and as a fallout of that, Nicole disappears after Ep 29 and is never mentioned again. :(

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So SNSD has a new teaser out for their Japanese single that's going to come out and it's pretty loving boss. I would have never used the words badass with them, but the shot walking down the hallway and as a group is pretty much that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJhAW-g1p8

I wonder if this means we won't be seeing them on our favorite TV shows since they'll be in Japan promoting.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is heroes streaming anywhere?

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Use these guys: http://forum.shsubs.com/

Sign up, write something inane in the thread of the episode you want to watch, stream away.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Or just go to their Facebook page and watch the videos there, no forum signup needed.

They don't have subs for episodes 1, 2 or 6 though, so you have to find someone else's subs for them, and those subs are so bad you'll almost have a better grasp of the show by watching WITHOUT a translation, but oh well.

SHSubs also hasn't finished subbing the whole show, for some reason.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

After The King 2 Hearts I wanted to check out more Ha Ji-Won, so I'm working my way through Secret Garden now. I never realized just how heavily the soundtrack has been used throughout Running Man. I found myself recognizing at least half the music cues.

I'm enjoying the show so far, but it's very obviously a variation on Pride and Prejudice: rich guy meets poor girl, is inexplicably attracted to her, lots of struggles involving class differences and social standing, etc. There's even a scene almost right from the book where Lady Catherine confronts Elizabeth at her home, only it's the main guy's mother in the Catherine role. I'm not really sure why the show became such a huge sensation, although I'm loving Ha Ji-Won's performance as expected, and I think Oska may end up being my favorite character in a K-Drama I've seen. Dude is just awesome and hilarious at every turn.

The body-swapping stuff was cute, although a lot shorter than I expected. I'm only 14 episodes in, so maybe they'll revisit it before the series is out.

qbert fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 30, 2012

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I'm not sure if you realize this, but that plot has been redone a lot :ssh: Also it got popular (or at least, I love it because) of the main guy's quirkiness.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Corn Thongs posted:

I'm not sure if you realize this, but that plot has been redone a lot :ssh: Also it got popular (or at least, I love it because) of the main guy's quirkiness.

Yeah, that's partly why I was curious about how it got so popular. From what I've seen, pretty much EVERY k-drama is about a guy and a girl that start off hating each other, grow closer through circumstance, start to like each other, basically get together by Ep 12-13, and then spend the rest of the series dealing with external issues. Secret Garden's pretty much no different (although all the characters are entertaining).

Edit: Okay, so I think I know why the show became so popular. Episode 17. Holy poo poo. :cry:

qbert fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 30, 2012

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
^^^ Oh man, I can't wait to get home and get to episode 17 then! I love it, still have 6 episodes left. I really want to see the two male actors in other stuff.

qbert posted:

The .. stuff was cute, although a lot shorter than I expected. I'm only 14 episodes in, so maybe they'll revisit it before the series is out.

Maybe put a spoiler tag on the BS phrase? I would not have expected it from a general description of the show or from the first couple of episodes.

Merope fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 30, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jamesman posted:

They don't have subs for episodes 1, 2 or 6 though, so you have to find someone else's subs for them, and those subs are so bad you'll almost have a better grasp of the show by watching WITHOUT a translation, but oh well.

I watched the other subs for episode 1, and about 20 minutes in I gave up because they made everyone out to be a complete bitch.

I am still here btw, just super busy at the moment. I'll hopefully have chance to update the OP on the weekend.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?

Jamesman posted:

They don't have subs for episodes 1, 2 or 6

I believe ithetimes has the solution to this problem.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Merope posted:

^^^ Oh man, I can't wait to get home and get to episode 17 then! I love it, still have 6 episodes left. I really want to see the two male actors in other stuff.

Maybe put a spoiler tag on the BS phrase? I would not have expected it from a general description of the show or from the first couple of episodes.

Ah, sorry. I edited my earlier post. I assumed that was general knowledge/premise stuff for anyone who was going to check out the show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The pHo posted:

I watched the other subs for episode 1, and about 20 minutes in I gave up because they made everyone out to be a complete bitch.

To a degree, it's not the translation's fault. Seo In-Young is portrayed as being a bit arrogant early on and clashing with Kahi, and the two of them are short fuses when it comes to being annoyed. But their similarities quickly pave the way to a friendly rivalry.

Then you have Noh Sa-yeon, who is a queen of the entertainment industry. If you've seen her guest appearance on Running Man, you'll understand her well enough. She's imposing, she's strong, but she's also really funny and witty. Shin Bong Sun is in a similar vein, and the two of them tend to take on leadership roles for all things good and bad.

I can't think of anyone else who may have a negative image at first glance, but trust me when I say this is not a show about people being bitches to one another. That'd be like saying Running Man is a show about people being assholes to one another, and Kim Jong Kook is the biggest rear end in a top hat of them all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it was mainly Seo In-Young who grated with me, and up to that point there was nobody in Korean show business who I saw on variety shows and music channels that I didn't think was really nice. Maybe it's just her image, but I really didn't take to her in that show (sliiiiiightly more in WGM, as she seemed to show affection a bit then). It's probably just an image, but it bugged me and the delegating the 'cool' and 'uncool' side of the table part just seemed cruel rather than the jokey, meek atmosphere on most shows.

We want to watch the episode where it looks like they're stationed with the air force though, but I think that's one that slipped through the translators, as I hadn't spotted it anywhere.

Shin Bong Sun is great, I should get into the show just for her really.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Oh goons! :cry: Probably half from being tired, half from being a goddamn wuss, I've been crying for the last half hour, just finished Secret Garden episode 17, got a basket full of used tissues next to me. Probably last time I cried so much was at my last breakup.
Please someone tell me this show has a happy ending! :smith:

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Merope posted:

Oh goons! :cry: Probably half from being tired, half from being a goddamn wuss, I've been crying for the last half hour, just finished Secret Garden episode 17, got a basket full of used tissues next to me. Probably last time I cried so much was at my last breakup.

No spoilers but keep watching

The pHo posted:

Shin Bong Sun is great, I should get into the show just for her really.

She owns huge. Watch all her various variety/talk show appearances to completely fall in love with her.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just finished Secret Garden. The last four episodes really ramped the story up like crazy, and in hindsight I could see that the whole series was very much a build up to all the payoff in those last handful of episodes. Loved the ending, and very much enjoyed the show overall.

Next up, either The Moon that Embraces the Sun, as that show's gotten bucketloads of praise, or My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox, for some more magical romance/comedy plus Lee Seung Gi acting.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'd like to cast a vote for Nine Tail Fox. Beyond the quirky acting of Shin Mina and Lee Seung Gi, the story of the fox is somewhat sad and touching.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Also Hyomin is in it

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah, I already picked Nine-Tailed Fox. I know that Moon that Embraces the Sun is supposed to be great, but I'm in the mood for the drama with the better chance of a happy ending.* :)

*I don't actually know the ending of either drama.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Merope posted:

I've seen that ep probably 10x and I tear up every time. Hyun Bin :swoon: :cry:

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

qbert posted:

Yeah, I already picked Nine-Tailed Fox. I know that Moon that Embraces the Sun is supposed to be great, but I'm in the mood for the drama with the better chance of a happy ending.* :)

*I don't actually know the ending of either drama.

Watch Gumiho so you can build your Hong sisters appetite for when Big starts next week! Maybe (definately) i'm in the minority but The Moon That Embraces The Sun was outstanding just for the child scenes. The rest fell kinda flat and meandering for me.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm on episode 14 of Fashion King and I want to throw my computer out the window. :smithicide:

Lee Ga Young is the most socially inept character I've ever witnessed.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Good lord, the format of We Got Married is so drat addictive. It's like those Real World or Road Rules marathons MTV would play in the late 90s where they would cut out the credits and just roll one episode into the next and you'd sit comatose watching for 5 hours. I'm sitting around like a girl watching a show about two people buying couple rings. What have I become?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

PitifulLoser posted:

Good lord, the format of We Got Married is so drat addictive. It's like those Real World or Road Rules marathons MTV would play in the late 90s where they would cut out the credits and just roll one episode into the next and you'd sit comatose watching for 5 hours. I'm sitting around like a girl watching a show about two people buying couple rings. What have I become?

It's loving Great is what it is. Don't fight it, just let the warm sensation drag you down, like hypothermia or quicksand.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PitifulLoser posted:

The best person.

I understand that, to some degree, it's make-believe, but you can't tell me that every couple that goes through that show comes out of it feeling nothing for one another. I can't believe couples like Jo Kwon/Ga-In and Nichkhun/Victoria wouldn't genuinely want to date one another after their time on the show is up.

So why don't any of these couples ever actually happen, dammit? :( There will be no greater love in this world than Khuntoria. WHY DENY US OF IT? :cry:

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Yeah. You can tell when they are trying for the camera and when they have true chemistry and want to hang out with each other.

I looked up the show on wikipedia and noticed one couple, Choi Jin Young and Lee Hyun Ji were together for a single episode. What's the story there?

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I'm watching through Khuntoria at the moment.

Yongseo was super adorable. It was really nice seeing Seohyun change and open up through their run.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm on episode 14 of Fashion King and I want to throw my computer out the window. :smithicide:

Lee Ga Young is the most socially inept character I've ever witnessed.

You probably will throw your computer out the window when you see the ending.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Finished Secret Garden last night, there were a bit more tears on episode 18 but I'm glad I watched the rest.
I want more Hyun Bin! Hope he finishes his military service soon and does another awesome drama for us (and maybe dates Ha Ji Won :3: ).

Now to decide what to see next, so many to watch!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

So I'm 9 episodes into My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox right now, and I've been utterly won over by its charms. I was pretty much in love with the show within the first 5 minutes. Firstly, the show seems to display a much lighter touch than the other k-dramas I've seen. All the characters are for the most part upbeat and energetic, and the show seems to want to actively keep the audience in a happy mood. The comedy is much broader and sometimes even slapstick, but it totally keeps with the tone of the show.

This is the first k-drama I've seen so far where the main guy is basically nice and likable right from the beginning, and remains that way throughout. Usually I expect the male protagonist to start off as a little bit of a dick or with a chip on his shoulder, who's slowly changed by the girl into someone decent by the end. Here, Seung Gi's character starts off normal-nice, and then just kind of grows into an even better person from there. His chemistry with Shin Min-Ah is fantastic, and her whole character is great too. Hell, even the other romantic subplot between his aunt and the action school director is hilarious!

The fact that the two so-called 'villains' on the show aren't really that bad at all is telling of how light the show wants to be. The girl villain basically just has a crush on Seung Gi, and although she acts out of jealousy, most of what she does wouldn't even register as bad on another show. The male villain, while hiding a terrible secret, spends the whole series as a friend and mentor to Min-Ah's character, and they even give him a sympathetic backstory.

Whereas Secret Garden was more of a slow burn that made you more and more invested in the characters as the show went along, Nine-Tailed Fox pulls you straight into its happy, funny world, and I can't wait to finish it. This being a k-drama, I'm sure the teary parts will come eventually, but right now I'm loving the show for what it is.

Edit: And Hyomin's awesome. Can't forget about Hyomin.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
^^^ Thanks for helping me decide what to watch next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

qbert posted:

Hell, even the other romantic subplot between his aunt and the action school director is hilarious!

That may be one of my favorite side love-lines in a k-drama. For those of you who haven't: watch A Better Tomorrow (a HK action film with Chow Yun Fat). The action school director is even more hilarious if you get all the references to the film and Chow.

• Locked thread