Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Sorry if this has been answered before, but is there any way that someone could throw episodes 58 and 62 up on Alluvion or something? Depositfiles is pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So here's a link to a thing: http://depositfiles.com/files/aey8v1x35

If anyone wants to mirror or set up a torrent, please do so. Hosting is impossible for me since I'm on a metered bandwidth plan.

EDIT: Thanks to Gutcruncher for starting up a torrent!
Download torrent81 (1 file; 499.88 MB)
View torrent stats

For those of you joining us late:
This is a project that's been in the works for a while. It's a segment from a variety show called Lincoln, which regularly features famous comedians Downtown and four other comedy teams. One of their recurring bits is a segment called "Friendly Downtown", where a comedy team is invited to spend time with Downtown and speak only using informal language. If they slip up and accidentally speak formally, they get slapped. This particular episode is relevant to our interests because the guests are Arino-kachou and his partner Masaru Hamaguchi. Yoiko take Downtown to Akihabara and engage in some stereotypical nerd pastimes.

A note on "formal language":
The Japanese language is very culturally sensitive, and you are expected to address others in a manner befitting the relationship between you. This goes beyond the name suffixes like -san or -kun that you may be familiar with, as even verbs and adjectives conjugate differently based on the level of politeness used. There are multiple reasons why Yoiko should be using the polite forms with Downtown including coming from different companies and being "junior" in terms of time in the industry.

One problem is that this doesn't translate to English at all. I think Zari-gani tried to make the "informal" responses sound a little cruder, but it's pretty much impossible to translate over directly since English doesn't have a linguistic equivalent to the politeness levels. If you keep an eye on the Japanese subs, you can tell when they slip up, as the subtitles will be in an angry red. Or you can just watch for when someone gets slapped. That's a good indicator too.

Notes on timing:
The two people I showed this to first responded that the "timing is great" and that the subtitles went by "way too fast". I'm leaning more towards the latter myself, but I felt it necessary to keep the speed up for several reasons. For one, it helps keep up the pace of their interactions. So much of comedy is dependent on timing, and I didn't want people reading a joke before the line is delivered or still be reading a joke when the dialogue has moved on. For another, I tried to reduce screen clutter by not having more than a couple of lines onscreen at one. With the rapid back-and-forth of some of their conversations, if I left the text up longer, multiple lines would start to pile up. It's already pretty busy with the Japanese subs and captions, I tried not to make it worse. Finally, of course, if I went back and re-timed the whole thing, who knows when I'd get finished? I've been sitting on this long enough, and I wanted to get it out there for you guys to enjoy. I'll continue to work on reaching a better balance with the timing on whatever I work on next, so I'm interested in hearing people's feedback.

The translation is by Zari-gani, who as usual turned out fantastic work. All the credit goes to her, and any mistakes were totally my fault.

I'm very interested to hear from everyone with opinions or comments on this episode. Reach me at NipponophileSA at Google mail. Like I said, I'm hoping to get some new projects moving forward, so watch this space for further developments.

tl;dr

Please watch these middle-aged men playing videogames.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
From probably the biggest Downtown fan on the forums, thanks to both of you. :neckbeard:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Downtown's show (Downtown no Gottsu Ee Kanji) was one of the things my Japanese sister felt significant (representative?) enough to record off TV and send over way back when I first started going to Japan nearly twenty years ago. I'm really going to enjoy seeing some old favorites interact hilariously with some new favorites--on a whole new medium, no less. Thank you very much!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Hirayuki posted:

Downtown's show (Downtown no Gottsu Ee Kanji) was one of the things my Japanese sister felt significant (representative?) enough to record off TV and send over way back when I first started going to Japan nearly twenty years ago. I'm really going to enjoy seeing some old favorites interact hilariously with some new favorites--on a whole new medium, no less. Thank you very much!

Cathy Tsukamoto may be one of my favorite sketch roles ever.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
This is one of the best things I have ever seen. Many thanks for the subs as always!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
You guys have been talking about Downtown for some time now. I'm interested to see what all the fuss is about.

Edit: VVVV Good luck!

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 29, 2012

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
Oh snappppp I can't wait to check that out!

My little experiment is going live soon. People voted up Super Mario Bros. 3 the most, which is great because I feel like that's actually beatable in two hours.

It's starting at 4:00 PM PST, which is about two hours from now. It'll be at http://www.machinimalive.com (I don't know the actual URL yet). I'll post a permalink to it once it's all set up in YouTube.

The Facebook thread for help and tips is here. I'm a little nervous though -- I've never been waxed before and I certainly don't want it to happen on the Internet.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
You and zari have made a good day even better. Thank you for this!

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Nipponophile posted:

So here's a link to a thing: http://depositfiles.com/files/aey8v1x35

If anyone wants to mirror or set up a torrent, please do so. Hosting is impossible for me since I'm on a metered bandwidth plan.

Anyone got a mirror for this? Depositfiles is timing out on me for some reason.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nipponophile, I'm sorry to do this to you but I won't have an opportunity to post this for a few days if I don't do it right now.

I've got an episode that features more people behind the challenge desk than any other episode of the series. And if you aren't saying it along with the group by the end of this episode there's something wrong with you. It's time for Yuuyu's Quiz de...

No one? Okay, I'll give it a few minutes.

Bringing this episode to you is the mighty Nagoyan, slayer of monster episodes.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 654.23 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

(One more quiz episode to go.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 29, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hooray! Thanks a bunch.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That was fantastic, thanks to both of you. I think the subs were only fast in a few spots and that's when you had to fit more things in than normal, like a few parentheticals. Otherwise the timing was fine and I also think the politeness thing carried over pretty well in the subs.

Absolute must-watch for any Arino and/or Downtown fans. It's great to get a look at how Arino interacts with his partner, especially since it seems like they're very different from Downtown(comedy partners for 30 years now but calling them friends outside of work is probably a stretch).

e: Downtown and a new GCCX? What a glorious day.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 29, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Stop making my day better! :arghfist::)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Started a torrent for Downtown vs Yoiko: Millionaire Fighting 2012

View torrent stats

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh my goodness. Such Arino in such a short period of time! You guys are consistently the bomb.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Nipponophile, I'm sorry to do this to you but I won't have an opportunity to post this for a few days if I don't do it right now.

Don't even worry about it. It's not like we're having a competition. The more stuff that gets released, the better for everyone.

Gutcruncher posted:

Thanks a ton for this. I'm going to edit it into my last post.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Gutcruncher posted:

View torrent stats

Excellent, thanks for this. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Don't even worry about it. It's not like we're having a competition. The more stuff that gets released, the better for everyone.

Yeah, but I like to pace this stuff out. That posting was literally within an hour or wait until Monday.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Drought before deluge. The best thread on the internet right here.

I'm beside myself here, Arino getting slapped, Arino slapping people, AND a quiz? Looks like I'm blowing off my friends tonight.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Holy...well the next day or so just got MUCH more interesting! Thanks to all for the hard work.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
Oh man oh man oh man new episode. B) I HAD A FEELING ABOUT TODAY. Excited to watch this Downtown thing too - seeing Arino outside of the GCCX environment is always interesting.

Thank you, subbing heroes!!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Hooray double release! And SirLarr's live challenge is currently going on at Machinima's Youtube page. It's a fun-filled day in this thread.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Horray for a quiz episode! Can't wait for the other quiz episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

Horray for a quiz episode! Can't wait for the other quiz episode.

:suicide:

I can wait.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Here is my playlist for all the raw episodes that have no subs currently or the subs for Shiren. All of them have been put up for seasons 3-13 and some from seasons 14-15 and all the episodes from season 16. Enjoy the videos!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL085808F22D35F9A4&feature=view_all

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 30, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The Yoiko-Downtown joint is absolutely not to be missed. I'd heard of tsundere cafes, but it's something to actually see how they operate.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
The new Episode's audio is a bit de-synced. Is this a problem on my end or is it common to everyone?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

redmercer posted:

The Yoiko-Downtown joint is absolutely not to be missed. I'd heard of tsundere cafes, but it's something to actually see how they operate.

Unfortunately you don't really get the full effect from that video. The whole idea of tsundere is hot and cold attitude. It's played off a bit different in manga and anime but in the cafe the turn happens around the time you're getting ready to leave and paying your bill. They get saccharine sweet with you and beg you not to leave, apologize if they were being mean earlier, etc.

Actually here is the same cafe and what I believe is the same maid. Check out the last minute or so to see the switch. No subs but this should come across well anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32bX0xuZfE

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Wow, this Yuuyu person really likes...

back massagers...?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Holy poo poo Tsundere cafes AND singing Kamen Rider in a Shocker themed room???? Thats like the best thing ever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah normally a quiz episode would be the highlight of the day (and it is a good one!), but drat that Downtown thing was worth the wait. They pretty much could not have found more perfect costumes for Downtown.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crotch Bat posted:

Unfortunately you don't really get the full effect from that video. The whole idea of tsundere is hot and cold attitude. It's played off a bit different in manga and anime but in the cafe the turn happens around the time you're getting ready to leave and paying your bill. They get saccharine sweet with you and beg you not to leave, apologize if they were being mean earlier, etc.

Actually here is the same cafe and what I believe is the same maid. Check out the last minute or so to see the switch. No subs but this should come across well anyways.

My god this is so awkward due to their acting. Please tell me this is more of a comedic thing.

Also, was anyone from the GCCX SA team at Fanime this past weekend? I got a StreetPass from someone who's message said something along the lines of "GCCX Team" but didn't catch if it said SA or something else. I also got a personal message from a Japanese guy I passed a couple times apparently, anyone care to translate it?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Haha, I love that watching the LINCOLN segment allowed me to answer a question correctly about Kamen Rider in the GCCX episode.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah normally a quiz episode would be the highlight of the day (and it is a good one!), but drat that Downtown thing was worth the wait. They pretty much could not have found more perfect costumes for Downtown.

They've done what they call a cosplay bus tour before wherein they pick a theme and dress themselves in it, hop on a bus and play games with the losers being forced off the bus to walk back to the office in costume. They've done some hilarious themes from S&M to anime to kogals and a few more. Definitely a hilarious series if you haven't seen it.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 30, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

That lady in the blue coat is Sarina Suzuki, GCCX's only ever guest Tamage friend! :aaa:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Liku posted:

My god this is so awkward due to their acting. Please tell me this is more of a comedic thing.

Also, was anyone from the GCCX SA team at Fanime this past weekend? I got a StreetPass from someone who's message said something along the lines of "GCCX Team" but didn't catch if it said SA or something else. I also got a personal message from a Japanese guy I passed a couple times apparently, anyone care to translate it?

"Tinyurl:GCCXTeam"

That was me. If only the restriction wasn't so short, I could have fit the whole TinyURL URL as my greeting. No harm meant or anything.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
Haven't watched the Quiz episode yet, but the Downtown show was hilarious. Poor Arino. Again he ends up the whipping boy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but being beat up by Hamada is a sign of "making it" in the business, so you could probably chart Arino's popularity and after that segment there will be a huge spike.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

They were talking about PS3 and Matsumoto being 43 so the segment is only like 5 years old which means he was probably just coming into his own with the GCCX success.

And that was Arino's role to take. He plays the idiot in the duo so Hamaguchi is supposed to get him into trouble and he's supposed to roll off like 3-4 mistakes in a row like he did at karaoke. He showed up that day knowing he was not only getting slapped a bunch but that he was supposed to facilitate the slapping process as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Arino certainly did seem like he was better at actually acting friendly. But yeah, you're right that they were definitely in their comedic roles the whole time too. So many layers etc.