Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Autocross the engineless shell of the 323 with someone pushing if you have to. Answer is always yes.

I have the rear floor pan cut out, so I could get two people back there to run while under the hatch. Probably be lumped in a mod class since I've got two power sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
At the last slalom I watched a 70 year old man who has to walk with a cane drive a honda fit automatic as hard as anyone else the entire day. There really isn't an excuse for not doing it unless you have something that is disallowed.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Even if you have a crappy car half the fun of autox is getting a ride in someones really good car.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

TrueChaos posted:

How not to enter the stop box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjNbLMb4is

I can't count the number of people that blew the box though, they had it on a really weird angle. I did that twice before saying gently caress it and braking well beyond the weird angle and juuust managing to stop before the last cone. Thanks to ziploc for the video!

As someone who actually had his brakes fail during a run (sawed through the brake stainless steel lines during a run) i'd be hosed! Crazy layout!

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 17, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

TrueChaos posted:

How not to enter the stop box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjNbLMb4is

I can't count the number of people that blew the box though, they had it on a really weird angle. I did that twice before saying gently caress it and braking well beyond the weird angle and juuust managing to stop before the last cone. Thanks to ziploc for the video!

Man, your entire course location scares me. All of those curbs and yellow signs!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, the stop box sucked, but the yellow posts aren't so bad. You've gotta be way off course to hit one, though an MGB managed to take one out that day. The curbs are actually pretty far, and you'd have to be trying to hit one. Except the stop box one, which was weird.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Star Specs will handle the cold better

I just bought these, I am in love. They have that same heft of kart slicks where you know there is just a massive amount of grip left over.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, the stop box sucked, but the yellow posts aren't so bad. You've gotta be way off course to hit one, though an MGB managed to take one out that day. The curbs are actually pretty far, and you'd have to be trying to hit one. Except the stop box one, which was weird.
That wasn't an SCCA event was it?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

nm posted:

That wasn't an SCCA event was it?

No, I believe it was a CASC event. I'm honestly not sure what PITL is sanctioned by though. I know CASC just uses SCCA rules though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I've got a full set of 205/40/17 Falken 512s to burn up on Saturday. They may not be the best rubber, but it means I don't have to feel bad if I get a bit sideways on them.

Still reasonably worried about those curbs and poles :ohdear:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just got back from the SASCA Autocross outside San Antonio and it was fuckinf EPIC! I only did some ride alongs but I learned a ton and am so loving ready for my first drive on June 3rd.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Who says you don't get seat time? I'm about to get 3hrs of seat time just to get to this Scion FR-S day. :3:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Who says you don't get seat time? I'm about to get 3hrs of seat time just to get to this Scion FR-S day. :3:

8 hundredths of a second. :argh: nicely done. I don't think I've seen someone ebrake turn a miata while slamming (and I mean that in the literal sense of the word, do you hate your transmission?) it into first like that before.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Bah, you should have seen the poo poo I gave the FR-S tranny. :b:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I would also like to say I even set the record that day for most style involved in beating your run.

Ziploc has the video of my drift run being faster than your normal racing.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah I'm still not sure how you did that. All my miata runs were before 1:30, and the course was definitely warming up as the day went on. Honestly I kinda wish they'd have let me trade my fr-s run for a late day miata run. Oh well!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Tire rack had (maybe still has) RS3s in stock. I bought a set of 4 225/45/15s, should be in Wednesday. This Monday im going to be running some mostly bald 225/45/15 R1Rs I got out of a friends back yard. We will see how that goes.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rabble posted:

Just got back from the SASCA Autocross outside San Antonio and it was fuckinf EPIC! I only did some ride alongs but I learned a ton and am so loving ready for my first drive on June 3rd.

I used to run with this group and still know a few active members. Good people, though I haven't talked to them in years. I think one of my buddies is running one of those club spec s2000's. He was always a good driver, get a ride if you can.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, yeah. drifterboy.

"Chris J" and "Val D" certainly beat a lot of other Miatas. :colbert:

To be fair though, I doubt many left their house this early for AutoX.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hahah you almost beat all the A mod cars. :lol:

EDIT: Wait, that's a Run #5 list. Not a fastest by class list. So we'll have to wait to see how you actually did against A mod.

I did though. :smug:

I ended up 14th out of 103 entrants. Which isn't bad for a stock Miata with a 2% street tire bonus.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

I don't think I've seen someone ebrake turn a miata while slamming it into first like that before.

I slowed before the turns, rev matched into first, slipped on the ebrake for a second, then slide the rear end end out with first. (but still ground the gears)

Had this been a more open (second gear) course, I don't think the car would have had the power to slide into overdriftlike that.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 27, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Call me Ken Gushi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZi-cOxvtw

These tires are great, I have maybe 3-400 miles on them so I can't tell if dropping the pressures or the autocross wear was making them better but they seemed to be making more grip all day. My fastest run was 4 seconds off the lead car.

Also beat an '09 GTR.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 27, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Muffinpox posted:

Call me Ken Gushi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZi-cOxvtw

These tires are great, I have maybe 3-400 miles on them so I can't tell if dropping the pressures or the autocross wear was making them better but they seemed to be making more grip all day. My fastest run was 4 seconds off the lead car.

Also beat an '09 GTR.

Nice catch. Few weeks ago an old civic hatchback lose the rear before a sweeper, he caught the drift and held it perfectly through 2 gates. I was working the corner so I just watched him slide around me, it was awesome.

Is HDhero2 the standard camera to capture autoX stuff? I'd like to start recording slalom and lapping days this year, from inside the car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The GoPros are the goto camera; good support, cheap, good video quality.

The only issue with them is finding a good mounting position and good mounting hardware. (yay broken plastic bits)

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Yea, people at our autox pretty much run an iPhone or Hero. I use an iphone since I have a good mount spot and I can review a run and find spots to work on immediately afterwards. GoPros are a lot smaller and can be mounted in more places, also I wouldn't worry about a Hero2 beig mounted externally like I would with an iPhone. There's a guy who mounts his hero2 at eye level on the right side of his helmet which makes some really cool footage.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Muffinpox posted:

There's a guy who mounts his hero2 at eye level on the right side of his helmet which makes some really cool footage.

I've done it on a friends helmet. It's a great angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCKGf4gHiAQ

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

I've done it on a friends helmet. It's a great angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCKGf4gHiAQ

That I like. Should make do until I can construct a passenger headrest mount.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Just to clarify, did you hear a grind though? I rev-matched the poo poo out of it at the same time while slowing into the hairpins.
:smugbert:

On the fast run? You ground first twice that I heard. I was marshaling and as you went around the light post all I could hear was the grinding, then it caught and you were away. Then a bit later I heard gears again, and you were the closest car.

Not that that's important, because you beat me regardless of grinding or style or technique... What you did was faster.

Ziploc posted:

Hahah you almost beat all the A mod cars. :lol:

EDIT: Wait, that's a Run #5 list. Not a fastest by class list. So we'll have to wait to see how you actually did against A mod.

I did though. :smug:

I ended up 14th out of 103 entrants. Which isn't bad for a stock Miata with a 2% street tire bonus.

Based on the FTD list you posted sock and I were both faster than 3/4 people in A-mod. :lol: :smugbert:

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 27, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

On the fast run? You ground first twice that I heard. I was marshaling and as you went around the light post all I could hear was the grinding, then it caught and you were away. Then a bit later I heard gears again, and you were the closest car.

Not that that's important, because you beat me regardless of grinding or style or technique... What you did was faster.

Based on the FTD list you posted sock and I were both faster than 3/4 people in A-mod. :lol: :smugbert:

drat. Oh well, I don't do the whole "no holds barred" style stuff at all, so it's not going to come up again. Eek :blush:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Holy poo poo I hit a cone hard enough to break my muffler completely off the exhaust piping.

I saw some cone paint on the tires but I guess the exhaust ate the brunt of a cone at 60mph.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 28, 2012

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

The GoPros are the goto camera; good support, cheap, good video quality.

The only issue with them is finding a good mounting position and good mounting hardware. (yay broken plastic bits)

A lot of folks here have switched to (or also use) the Contour HD's. They are smaller than a GoPro, and narrower field of view. They are better for a helmet mount due to size and weight, but I doubt they would survive an 'off the car experience' like I've seen many GoPro's survive due to their tough case.

I have both, but haven't actually used the Contour yet (got it on sale and keep forgetting to take it with me).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I'm waiting for Ziploc to upload my "Ken Gushi" clip from Saturday. :3:

Mind you, I was trying to drive like an rear end.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Sockington posted:

Driving like an rear end is the best part! I had some poo poo old tires on my Miata that couldn't get grip if they tried, and that was one of the best auto-xs I've ever been to.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

Ziploc uploaded the raw video, but still needs to tag it/etc.

Still, was a fun day (this was the "fastest" run of the day :v:)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Waiting on mine... D:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Here's footage from our last course, the pinch at 1:09 is evil and a ton of cars got a 4 cone call in on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5u2R3hTTZE

That's my exhaust you hear banging around in that video.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't like how there's only one layout at the place -- a 3 legged slalom.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Well I was told I over drove my last few autocrosses and spending some time on the track smoothed me out. Unfortunately I think I may have gone the other extreme. Also my tires were bald R1Rs that were in a friends back yard for about 2 years. Was a big event, little over 200 people.

This was my fast run. They still have yet to post times so I have no idea how well I did but I dont think it was well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BcZPCVzwEE

Wet run was fun, almost lost it going through one of the last gates. Was impressed I didnt spin. I decided not to zip up the roof before rolling out, then it really started coming down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_nkEK6NNkI

The rain caught some one else out. They called the event after this. Took about a half hour to pull the car out. Ended up on rocks in a drainage ditch. Car was ok over all, a brace got destroyed but the car drove home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJczs7Y8b8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TrueChaos posted:

The answer is always this. My sunfire was hilarious last year, understeered like a pig until you lifted and then weeee snap oversteer! Also every suspension component was in need of replacing, and the amount of flex in the chassis was hilarious. I usually tried to find the heaviest person I could for the passenger seat cause it kept the body roll down a bit. It wasn't competitive at all, but was hilariously fun.
Speaking of sunfires, our long-time club secretary usually uses his to humiliate drift-enthusiast wannabees. We have a bit of a problem with recruitment when guys who show up with highly modified cars get spanked by a 50-year-old man in a boring white bone stock Pontiac commuter appliance.

That's one of the best recoveries I've seen. Nicely done!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Driving like an rear end is the best part! I had some poo poo old tires on my Miata that couldn't get grip if they tried, and that was one of the best auto-xs I've ever been to.
Replace "Miata" with "e36 328is" and you have what I was doing on Sunday. One of my fun runs afterwards, when I deliberately tried to just hang the rear end out all the way around and steer mainly with the throttle, beat my best official time by more than a second. I gotta drive more hoonishly :v:

Also, tires. My current tires are all-seasons apparently designed for endurance on long smooth highways, hence they have no grip and I'm probably melting them all over the parking lot. When they inevitably fail, I'll be looking for something that I suspect might be impossible.
- decent grip (not spectacular, just not terrible) for auto-X
- all-weather capability (I have winter tires for winter, but anything from rain to early-winter sloppy wet snowfall)
- not going to get shredded on a gravel road.

That's an impossible combination, isn't it?

• Locked thread