Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > We don't need eyes for what we're planning :psypop:

The worst part is that I can't do anything about it. Nobody really can. It's just an absolute trainwreck, and the cognitive dissonance in some of these meetings is astounding. The only person coming out of this as a winner is the developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Cichlidae posted:

The worst part is that I can't do anything about it. Nobody really can. It's just an absolute trainwreck, and the cognitive dissonance in some of these meetings is astounding. The only person coming out of this as a winner is the developer.

Has no one really tried to get the media involved? Law suits to stop this silliness? If all the state politicians are too scared to act, sue in federal court.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Wedesdo posted:

Has no one really tried to get the media involved? Law suits to stop this silliness? If all the state politicians are too scared to act, sue in federal court.

I gave that a shot, but the media didn't seem at all interested. The Feds, on the other hand, would be furious, but everyone seems to be purposely avoiding them.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Cichlidae posted:

I gave that a shot, but the media didn't seem at all interested. The Feds, on the other hand, would be furious, but everyone seems to be purposely avoiding them.

Aren't there anonymous tiplines for this sort of thing? Or are they just "anonymous?"

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

The Goog posted:

Aren't there anonymous tiplines for this sort of thing? Or are they just "anonymous?"

I have a friend in the FHWA who does investigations on this sort of thing. Even with whistleblower protection, though, I'd be terrified of being found out; that could really torpedo my career. There aren't too many people involved in the project at my level, so it wouldn't be hard to single me out, even if I was anonymous.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

So now that they have that raised intersection, the porkchop island for the channelized right turn isn't really raised anymore; it's a flush island. Supposed to be a refuge for peds and bikes to basically sit in the middle of an intersection at the end of a freeway. Sound safe yet?
You don't think they'll just do the typical half-assed thing and put up some quick fix for these issues once they see them, or someone gets hit?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

smackfu posted:

You don't think they'll just do the typical half-assed thing and put up some quick fix for these issues once they see them, or someone gets hit?

They will get rid of the channelized right altogether, post NTOR, and further gently caress capacity. New Haven has said repeatedly that they don't care about congestion on the Interstates (or the fatalities that would no doubt result), as long as their city streets look good.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

They literally expect that a huge proportion of the doctors and researches at Yale's medical campus will start taking bikes to work, or walking, instead of driving. I'm not sure whether they actually believe it, or are just using the whole thing as a pretext to get that sweet, sweet developer cash.
I have no doubt that the guy who I saw present it the other night believed it sincerely, and he was comparing the redevelopment to what NYC did in Times Square as far as impact and overall effect.

Another interesting tidbit I learned there, the original plan for Stamford's downtown redevelopment involved completely separating pedestrians and cyclists from cars by having a network of pedestrian walkways above the roads and sidewalks with stairs and elevators at regular intervals to allow people to get down to ground level. The only parts of this plan that were constructed were the terraces around and walkways between the St John's Towers

Street View http://goo.gl/maps/Q5p4
Bird's Eye View http://binged.it/Kp380c

Quite an interesting concept.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Regarding New Haven, if someone's holding a gun to their own head and making threats, gently caress 'em, let 'em pull the trigger.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Except for the bit where they're also loving anyone who has to go through that area, sadly.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Now you know how urban blight is created!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I want to say bring the feds down like a hammer, because the city doesn't deserve to have it's future in the hands of people that incompetent and corrupt. But you shouldn't have to put your career at risk over it, either. That there's any risk of it is kind of enraging.

Maybe there's something publicly available that points to the corruption, that anyone who took the time to read it might have noticed? Hell, where have they said they don't care about interstate congestion, that might be enough.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

vorebane posted:

I want to say bring the feds down like a hammer, because the city doesn't deserve to have it's future in the hands of people that incompetent and corrupt. But you shouldn't have to put your career at risk over it, either. That there's any risk of it is kind of enraging.

Maybe there's something publicly available that points to the corruption, that anyone who took the time to read it might have noticed? Hell, where have they said they don't care about interstate congestion, that might be enough.

They'll figure it out once the project is done and everything's gone to poo poo. Just have to hope the blame falls in the right place, and doesn't come back to me somehow.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Because I respect your contribution of sharing incredibly relevant information to us, the public: keep your cards out of the eye of speculation.

I have been reading your thread since its inception. Thank you.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grillster posted:

Because I respect your contribution of sharing incredibly relevant information to us, the public: keep your cards out of the eye of speculation.

Is this about the Route 34 project, or just in general? I probably shouldn't vent my frustration here; it just takes a lot out of you to watch something happen that you feel so strongly against, and can do nothing about.

grillster posted:

I have been reading your thread since its inception. Thank you.

Thank you, and thanks to everyone who's been enjoying the thread. I had no idea it would get this big.

Ralphis
Aug 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

This is called a volleyball interchange, or a three-level diamond. It looks pretty cool, but if you want to turn left, you have to go through 3 lights.

Having grown up in this area my whole life and using this exit multiple times per week, I can honestly say that this is one of the worst interchanges I've ever sat in. Traffic backs so far up the hill from the first light that you might end up sitting there for 15 minutes during peak hours. The distance between the first and second lights (leaving 476 from the northbound lane) is so short that people will try to blow the first light and end up blocking the traffic now running parallel with route 1 at the first light. In addition to this, people making the left turn and trying to merge from the second light often don't know how to drive and will stop dead until all other traffic coming from route 1 southbound stops even though they have their own lane to pull out into.

What a mess.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

They'll figure it out once the project is done and everything's gone to poo poo. Just have to hope the blame falls in the right place, and doesn't come back to me somehow.
Get everything in writing, preferably signed. Don't forget that your email is technically public record and can be subpoenaed in court or accessed by FOIA request. If poo poo goes down and you've been ethical about everything, you will almost certainly come out on top.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Hope you can't get FOIAed for forums posts! But then again I already told you once before to watch out with spilling the beans here.

I had contractors refusing taped interviews because they were hella paranoid when I was interning at an engineering firm. It can be a lovely industry.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was implying that he should get a paper trail on everything so that if it does come back to him, he can prove that he tried.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

I was implying that he should get a paper trail on everything so that if it does come back to him, he can prove that he tried.

Can't hurt to mail myself some stuff in a sealed envelope. At the worst, I'll look like some know-it-all dick in the end.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

Can't hurt to mail myself some stuff in a sealed envelope. At the worst, I'll look like some know-it-all dick in the end.

Like asking someone if they're a police officer, that's an urban myth. It sounds like you might want to speak to a lawyer for a better CYA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Volmarias posted:

Like asking someone if they're a police officer, that's an urban myth. It sounds like you might want to speak to a lawyer for a better CYA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright

I'm not sure exactly how that article relates to this thread, it being about copyright and all, but I can imagine that the OP would be much better off depositing any paperwork with a lawyer instead of mailing them to himself.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I don't need something that's legally watertight, as I'm not in any potential legal trouble. Just some proof for the press and future employers, should it come down to it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

I don't need something that's legally watertight, as I'm not in any potential legal trouble. Just some proof for the press and future employers, should it come down to it.

an email would work better imo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

The point is that since you can post-date your letter, it doesn't really prove, legally or otherwise, that you raised an objection back in October of Whenever The gently caress. The article is about copyright but the issue is really in general.

If you end up getting your name in the news with regards to an ethics probe, you're in pretty deep poo poo just because now someone googling your name will find THAT, so you really DO want to have some pretty airtight stuff if you have a non-zero reason to believe that this could happen.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

The point is that since you can post-date your letter, it doesn't really prove, legally or otherwise, that you raised an objection back in October of Whenever The gently caress. The article is about copyright but the issue is really in general.

If you end up getting your name in the news with regards to an ethics probe, you're in pretty deep poo poo just because now someone googling your name will find THAT, so you really DO want to have some pretty airtight stuff if you have a non-zero reason to believe that this could happen.

That is a very good point. The typical precedent in the office is to slip a note into the project folder, but that's not particularly secure, and since our projects are more and more electronic these days, we sometimes don't even have folders.

Quiz!

What color are these two samples of sign sheeting?

(white balance should be perfect on this)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Honestly, if you're concerned, talk to a lawyer, they'll talk to you for free, and its all confidential. A lawyer would probably hang onto some documents for a very small retainer and if you ever need them, then he'd charge you (money you would ostensibly win in a lawsuit for wrongful termination or somesuch.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

That is a very good point. The typical precedent in the office is to slip a note into the project folder, but that's not particularly secure, and since our projects are more and more electronic these days, we sometimes don't even have folders.

Quiz!

Green and Orange! (At the risk of being utterly humiliated :3:)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Quiz!

This is one of those horrible illusions where they're the same color, isn't it :(

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

This is one of those horrible illusions where they're the same color, isn't it :(

Not at all, they are two different colors. Otherwise, they wouldn't make very good sign sheeting, would they?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Look yellow and orange to me, but it's not like traffic signs ever take into account the most common type of colour-blindness that effects like 10% of men.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

Quiz!

Neon green used in those school crossing signs and traffic cone orange?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Electric Lime and Macaroni and Cheese

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Hey Cichlidae, I posted this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=69#post383974414 way back on page 69.

Look what's getting rebuilt right now :buddy:

http://www.coloradodot.info/library/studies/i-25-valley-highway-EIS/feis_ch7_phasedimplementation.pdf/view

Flyover ramp, partial SPUI, and the Home Depot entrance isn't on the loving off ramp.

E: If you go to that Google Maps spot and zoom in enough to view the 45 degree view you can see it in process.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 31, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

will_colorado posted:

Hey Cichlidae, I posted this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=69#post383974414 way back on page 69.

Look what's getting rebuilt right now :buddy:

http://www.coloradodot.info/library/studies/i-25-valley-highway-EIS/feis_ch7_phasedimplementation.pdf/view

Flyover ramp, partial SPUI, and the Home Depot entrance isn't on the loving off ramp.

E: If you go to that Google Maps spot and zoom in enough to view the 45 degree view you can see it in process.

So, how does this compare to OP's design?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

So, how does this compare to OP's design?

This looks cleaner and cheaper, Cichlidae had a lot of expensive things going on, not that I'd object!

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
To OP: slightly off topic from the current discussion but in Mr and Mrs Smith (i think, i just remember it was Brad Pitt) Pitt's character claims to be a traffic engineer, then sprouts something along the line of "did you know traffic is life a living animal? Tap your brakes and it'll affect traffic 10 miles behind you." Is this true? Do you guys have a name for this? I always remember that particular scene from the movie but I've never met a traffic engineer

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

Quiz!

Lime and pumpkin! Stylish.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Chaos Motor posted:

Lime and pumpkin! Stylish.

I like this answer the best. Nobody has gotten both of them right yet, though!

Dyllyn posted:

To OP: slightly off topic from the current discussion but in Mr and Mrs Smith (i think, i just remember it was Brad Pitt) Pitt's character claims to be a traffic engineer, then sprouts something along the line of "did you know traffic is life a living animal? Tap your brakes and it'll affect traffic 10 miles behind you." Is this true? Do you guys have a name for this? I always remember that particular scene from the movie but I've never met a traffic engineer

It certainly does exist, and it's called the shock-wave effect. Traffic needs to be at a sufficiently high density, just below the threshold of breakdown. In other words, that little disturbance (tapping the brakes) is the straw that breaks the camel's back, and the disturbance just magnifies itself as it spreads upstream.

Most recurring (i.e. not caused by accidents) traffic jams start that way. It won't happen when traffic is light, though, only when it's just about to jam up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexis
Dec 12, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I like this answer the best. Nobody has gotten both of them right yet, though!

It certainly does exist, and it's called the shock-wave effect. Traffic needs to be at a sufficiently high density, just below the threshold of breakdown. In other words, that little disturbance (tapping the brakes) is the straw that breaks the camel's back, and the disturbance just magnifies itself as it spreads upstream.

Most recurring (i.e. not caused by accidents) traffic jams start that way. It won't happen when traffic is light, though, only when it's just about to jam up.

Long time since I've posted in the thread...been non stop busy. Working for a public agency is fun. Here is a video demonstrating the shockwave. Next time you come to a near halt on a freeway for no reason its probably because assholes have been laying on the brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M