Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Mark Schultz is holding a wrestling clinic here starting tomorrow evening. Have any goons worked with him before?

I can't wait to hear him and Mikey Burnett talk about the old, old days of the UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
To get better at striking, 90% of the people just need to experience being punched in the face to realize its not that big of a deal and then they can realize they do have control over the power of their strikes.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

origami posted:

Please tell me you were shadow boxing with weights in your hands.

Nah, they have free weights there. I just got tired and sloppy with a movement.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was thinking about that "on rails" thing and realized it is not a problem for me because last time I sparred I got backed into all four corners of the ring, so I must be moving in 3d. Haha success(?)!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Your sparring partner hosed up the rails by moving sideways! What the gently caress, punch him twice for every punch you eat for doing that. The "rails" are Holy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
This is fencing mutherfucker

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll just keep at it and get better the more I do it!

I don't think "on rails" is as much an issue for me, but maybe because I'm the only newb that is actually sparring. Everyone else has probably at least a year of sparring experience (minimum) on top of me. No other beginners in my classes actually ever want to spar so in that sense I have the benefit of always sparring with someone better than me. I seem to consistently get punished if I don't keep mixing things up and everyone is pretty good about slowing things down and giving me advice on the spot ( except for balls-out guy, but I do appreciate not being handled with kid gloves either all the time ).

I'm pretty good about moving, circling and dodging ( getting really good at moving out of reach ), but I think when I'm moving/circling I'm just doing it too slow. Technically yeah I'm moving in a circle and jabbing but I think it's just slow and predictable enough that the other guy has no problem knowing where I'm going or keeping up with me. Actually, this is probably exactly what you're talking about with the "rails", only my rail is circular!

Another issue is I think I'm pulling my attacks as well because I'm just not confident in my power. I do NOT want to be that newb who goes full force and I think that might be affecting my "flow". I'm already over-thinking and now I'm adding another thing to think about because I don't want to be a dick. I think I would actually do better if I was simply not thinking about the strength of my attacks and just going "all out" but obviously that's not ideal for anyone, at least at my current skill level. Is there anything I can do to counter this, other than just sparring more and more?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TollTheHounds posted:

I don't think "on rails" is as much an issue for me, but maybe because I'm the only newb that is actually sparring. Everyone else has probably at least a year of sparring experience (minimum) on top of me.

TBH the "rails" disappear when one of the persons throwing attacks is more experienced, and if you only go against mostly more experienced guys than the problem of the "rails" is a non-issue because you need two to perform the best rails. So you have it pretty good and maybe never end up taking those trips backwards and forwards in the first place.

Xguard86 posted:

Fencing of the FEET, mofo!

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
I've met a lot of newer people who have trouble hitting someone else in the face, and when they finally do they start apologizing. Just realize that the people you're sparring have probably taken much harder hits than whatever you can throw at them. Keep your form as sharp as possible and don't lose your head, but don't worry so much about controlling the power of your punches until you're used to actually connecting with your punches.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah just try to connect them in the face or liver or some other juicy target. You know the separation of throwing overhands rights from the pocket, eyes wild, looking for a KO for no reason to simply slamming jabs at their face.

If the guys you spar with are more experienced don't worry about hurting them since you probably can't. Just remember if you go wild and start wailing away like crazy 1) you shouldn't because you learn little 2) they'll drop you for it.

Hit as fast as you can. Not as hard as you can. Two different things. And then return your arms and legs to your guard as fast or faster than your strike was. This means your defense is up again.

(Though both have the perfectly same physics, for simplicity it's that the latter just aims at 2-4 inches BEHIND where you have your target, the former just connects at the target but stops right there. It has been calculated you need to punch through 2'5 inches inside the body of your enemy to deliver serious hurt.)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

We're at similar points in striking training, about two months, and I have basically the exact same experiences when I'm sparring. I've only done four rounds so you may be ahead of me in minutes but it's close.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Whatever, just ordered 3 bottles of Namaan Muay. Tired of holding back on kicks because of my tender shins.

Will post my placebo trip reports

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Christoff posted:

Whatever, just ordered 3 bottles of Namaan Muay. Tired of holding back on kicks because of my tender shins.

Is that the poo poo you put on your shins? When I did Kung Fu way back in like high school the instructor had us toughen our shins by rolling a 20lbs steel cylinder up and down our shins and then rub this funky oily stuff on them. My shins are dead as gently caress to this day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, pretty much. Any part of your body you want to warm up, I guess? Supposed to help with healing/recovery too? But that's probably part placebo. Anyone else on here use it? I'm reading nothing but good things.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Any Vancouver BJJ/MMA here? Im coming into the city for a trip this weekend and I think it might be time for a new gi. Google isn't finding me anything and I know Fushida is based out of Van but I can't find any info about a storefront that I can go to. Any MMA/BJJ stores, or BJJ clubs that have a store where I could buy a cheap BJJ gi? My old Fuji judo gi is getting old, and sleeves are too short and I got bigger so it doesn't fit. Pants still fit though so I could just get a new top. Also want to get some no-gi shorts

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ligur posted:

Hit as fast as you can. Not as hard as you can.

that's pretty much it

Christoff posted:

I'd suggest getting a muay thai tattoo while you're at it, show those fuckers how serious you are about that hobby you picked up last week

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

I'd suggest getting a muay thai tattoo while you're at it, show those fuckers how serious you are about that hobby you picked up last week

Wait what

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xguard86 posted:

Nothing wrong with a (sportified) honorable duel. :colbert:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

I've met a lot of newer people who have trouble hitting someone else in the face, and when they finally do they start apologizing. Just realize that the people you're sparring have probably taken much harder hits than whatever you can throw at them. Keep your form as sharp as possible and don't lose your head, but don't worry so much about controlling the power of your punches until you're used to actually connecting with your punches.

Ligur posted:

Yeah just try to connect them in the face or liver or some other juicy target. You know the separation of throwing overhands rights from the pocket, eyes wild, looking for a KO for no reason to simply slamming jabs at their face.

If the guys you spar with are more experienced don't worry about hurting them since you probably can't. Just remember if you go wild and start wailing away like crazy 1) you shouldn't because you learn little 2) they'll drop you for it.

Hit as fast as you can. Not as hard as you can. Two different things. And then return your arms and legs to your guard as fast or faster than your strike was. This means your defense is up again.

(Though both have the perfectly same physics, for simplicity it's that the latter just aims at 2-4 inches BEHIND where you have your target, the former just connects at the target but stops right there. It has been calculated you need to punch through 2'5 inches inside the body of your enemy to deliver serious hurt.)

Very good points. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to imply I'm some sort of Hulk who is worried about punching someone through the wall. I think it's just like you said, I'm worried about hurting them when really I shouldn't be. These guys can/could/do work me over, so really I should just be trying to hit them period, not "hit them just enough to touch but not too hard nice and easy now don't want to hurt anyone". It's not like I'd be throwing wild-eyed haymakers in the first place anyway, so I think as long as I try what you said and just aim to hit their face as *fast* as I can, not punch THROUGH their face, that'll help. I'm just definitely too self-conscious when sparring about being "that guy", and really this probably translates into real life too so this will help me in general, not just in class!

Xguard86 posted:

We're at similar points in striking training, about two months, and I have basically the exact same experiences when I'm sparring. I've only done four rounds so you may be ahead of me in minutes but it's close.

Yeah based on reading your posts seems we're basically at the same point. Good to know it's not just me! :unsmith:

There is a "sparring-only" class on Saturdays that I'm going to try to start going to. It's a normal style class in that there is stretching/warm-up but from what I understand after that point there is very brief instruction then it's basically just 45 minutes of 2 minute rounds ( or as long as you can go without dying ). So less technique more doing, a more "live" instruction if you will. As it is right now when I spar is really only on the Monday class, if we have enough time at the end for people to put on their gear, and if enough of the more advanced guys are even there - which seems to be once every 1-2 weeks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TollTheHounds posted:

Very good points. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to imply I'm some sort of Hulk who is worried about punching someone through the wall. I think it's just like you said, I'm worried about hurting them when really I shouldn't be. These guys can/could/do work me over, so really I should just be trying to hit them period, not "hit them just enough to touch but not too hard nice and easy now don't want to hurt anyone".
Every round, ask them if the hardest shot you gave was bad. I'm sure they'll say no. Everybody, communicate with your sparring partners, dammit.

quote:

it's basically just 45 minutes of 2 minute rounds ( or as long as you can go without dying ). So less technique more doing, a more "live" instruction if you will. As it is right now when I spar is really only on the Monday class, if we have enough time at the end for people to put on their gear, and if enough of the more advanced guys are even there - which seems to be once every 1-2 weeks.

Go to it and ask your coaches if you can join the rotation. Other guys might welcome it as it'll give them a break working with you instead of other more experience people who'd make them work harder.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I took a trial class at a gym near me For those that are interested. I took it Tuesday and yesterday I woke up kind of sore but good enough to even go for a jog last night. Today, on the other hand, I woke up and I can barely move! Hahaha. I love it.

Either way, with how the gym's classes are scheduled I'll be able to take BJJ MTW at 6:00 (or M W if I need to skip a day) and a boxing technique/conditioning class on Friday. I know this is not optimal but that's really the best I can fit. Is this worth perusing with this type of schedule?

I am sure that the more I stick to it I'll be able to actually go MTW for BJJ and Boxing on Friday before work but maybe that's not suggested?

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Christoff posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Any part of your body you want to warm up, I guess? Supposed to help with healing/recovery too? But that's probably part placebo. Anyone else on here use it? I'm reading nothing but good things.

Yeah, i've used the stuff. One of the promoters around here is big into helping promote the stuff, so anytime we show up at one of his events we get tons of free samples. It's basicly just like biofreeze, but watered down, in my opinion. Not bad stuff, but not the ancient magical feel-good fight-harder oil they'd like you to think.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheStampede posted:

the ancient magical feel-good fight-harder oil they'd like you to think.

No, that was actually meth. That, you don't really rub on anything though.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I sometimes put cold packs on my feet after training. Feels good man.

Ligur posted:

Says who?

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Ligur posted:

poo poo, i've been doing it wrong all along. I was smoking the Namman and rubbing meth on my thighs

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Coinciding with my upcoming increase in sparring, I want a cup.

I know that Christoff had recommended the Shock Doctor cup awhile back ( seems like everyone at my gym also recommends the shock doctor ones with gel lining ), so I'll probably get one of them, my question is if anyone has used either of these:

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/ultra-carbon-flex-cup.aspx ( the Lamborghini of cups )

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/titan-alloy-flex-cup.aspx ( STAINLESS STEEL?? )

I've used lovely generic ones before and haven't bought a cup since because they are so uncomfortable. I'm willing to pay a premium to protect my junk.

Anyone had experience with a Compression short w/ cup combo? I know that an actual jock strap would be a more precise fit but honestly just wearing one ( the strap ) makes me uncomfortable. I'd much rather have a short w/ a pocket in front but I suppose then I have to accept it might not be a perfect fit/positioning. Of course maybe I haven't tried the right jock strap either.

HELP ME SAVE MY BALLS

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheStampede posted:

poo poo, i've been doing it wrong all along. I was smoking the Namman and rubbing meth on my thighs

Just a thought, but if it works you know who cares if it's placebo effect.

It might be rubbing coke or meth on your fists before a fight makes you punch faster.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

Anyone had experience with a Compression short w/ cup combo? I know that an actual jock strap would be a more precise fit but honestly just wearing one ( the strap ) makes me uncomfortable. I'd much rather have a short w/ a pocket in front but I suppose then I have to accept it might not be a perfect fit/positioning. Of course maybe I haven't tried the right jock strap either.

HELP ME SAVE MY BALLS

Yeah I got this one

http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Supporter-Carbon-Medium/dp/B00181BH7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338490242&sr=8-3

Watch the sizing since in the reviews it seems they run a bit small.

After a lot of googling it seemed the compression shorts didn't work too good and moved around a lot and pinched your sack.

The Shock doctor one I linked isn't a jock strap in the traditional sense that you have a g-string on. If that's what you're worried about. It has two straps that wrap around each thigh.

NWS - http://www.internationaljock.com/v3/prd_shock-doctor-basix-supporter-with-bioflex-cup.xlg?partno=3582&view=tall

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Although I haven't been wearing a cup for more than a year, my preferred one is the nuttybuddy. I've had a couple of cups before it, and they always seem to get in the way.
Nuttybuddy on sports science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV831oPwG8M

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 31, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been using the shock doctor carbon flex cup/strap for about 2 years & I'd say its decent. It's very comfortable and happened to be in the right spot whenever I needed it. Ideally you want to wear compression shorts on top of the cup&strap to restrict any possible movement especially when mixing in some grappling. I'm cheap & therefore I don't. If you insist on avoiding a jock strap because you're a weird goon, there's the expensive jaco & diamond MMA solutions..the regular compression short w/ cup pocket products don't fit secure enough when it comes to lovely kicks.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I used this one for a long time with no complaints. I forgot to take it out when I threw my compression shorts in the laundry the other day and it came out all mangled so I'm in the market for a new one now. That NuttyBuddy looks pretty interesting. I don't know why the hell nobody thought to design a cup like that before. It just makes sense.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Christoff posted:

Yeah I got this one

http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Supporter-Carbon-Medium/dp/B00181BH7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338490242&sr=8-3

Watch the sizing since in the reviews it seems they run a bit small.

After a lot of googling it seemed the compression shorts didn't work too good and moved around a lot and pinched your sack.

The Shock doctor one I linked isn't a jock strap in the traditional sense that you have a g-string on. If that's what you're worried about. It has two straps that wrap around each thigh.

NWS - http://www.internationaljock.com/v3/prd_shock-doctor-basix-supporter-with-bioflex-cup.xlg?partno=3582&view=tall

Good to know, thanks! When I hear "jock strap" it just brings to mind the g-string and they are just really uncomfortable.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Although I haven't been wearing a cup for more than a year, my preferred one is the nuttybuddy. I've had a couple of cups before it, and they always seem to get in the way.
Nuttybuddy on sports science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV831oPwG8M

Well, I have to admit taking a fastball to the junk is a pretty good selling point. It's comfortable I assume?

Paul Pot posted:

I've been using the shock doctor carbon flex cup/strap for about 2 years & I'd say its decent. It's very comfortable and happened to be in the right spot whenever I needed it. Ideally you want to wear compression shorts on top of the cup&strap to restrict any possible movement especially when mixing in some grappling. I'm cheap & therefore I don't. If you insist on avoiding a jock strap because you're a weird goon, there's the expensive jaco & diamond MMA solutions..the regular compression short w/ cup pocket products don't fit secure enough when it comes to lovely kicks.

Also good to know! I probably am a weird goon but it's just a comfort thing because when I think of a "jock" I think of the g-string and as I said above, it's just really not comfortable. If it's an around the legs thing that should be fine as long as the straps don't move around too much.

My only experience with an around the leg style one was a pocket/cup/straps/shorts combo that I think was designed for hockey not mma and those straps just chafed the poo poo out of my legs. Could have also just been a bad fit too. I've never actually tried the straight up jock/leg straps though so I'm sure that's a different beast.

Either way I always wear compression shorts anyway because I don't want to ballflash everyone in class, so if I didn't have a shorts/cup combo a straight up strap seems like the best option.

Thanks guys!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I cut a guy's nose with an uppercut today. He ducked my jab cross but I've noticed that happens a lot so I was ready with the left upper which landed very hard by my standards.

It's cool that I did something right but it feels weird to actually hurt someone, even superficially. I still ended up doing terribly in the second I just gas so drat fast for no actual reason it's just nerves. Pisses me off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

I still ended up doing terribly in the second I just gas so drat fast for no actual reason it's just nerves. Pisses me off.

Trying to shuffle around the ring like a lactic acid zombie is cool and spiritually rewarding.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

TollTheHounds posted:

Coinciding with my upcoming increase in sparring, I want a cup.

I know that Christoff had recommended the Shock Doctor cup awhile back ( seems like everyone at my gym also recommends the shock doctor ones with gel lining ), so I'll probably get one of them, my question is if anyone has used either of these:

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/ultra-carbon-flex-cup.aspx ( the Lamborghini of cups )

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/titan-alloy-flex-cup.aspx ( STAINLESS STEEL?? )

I've used lovely generic ones before and haven't bought a cup since because they are so uncomfortable. I'm willing to pay a premium to protect my junk.

HELP ME SAVE MY BALLS

Get a Thai steel cup, they're way better. With the string that goes up your arsecrack. I've got both and also some generic jockstrap thing and the steel cup is best by far. I've taken some serious kicks to my dick that I didn't even feel

How much sparring do you guys generally do? We do a casual sparring session pretty much every night at my gym

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

How much sparring do you guys generally do? We do a casual sparring session pretty much every night at my gym

Wednesdays are our dedicated sparring nights, and Fridays are open gym, so that's mostly dudes rolling and sparring on thier own. If we arn't working on anything during normal training, we'll end on some sparring as well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Trying to shuffle around the ring like a lactic acid zombie is cool and spiritually rewarding.

I would like God or science to explain why the body's natural reaction to stress is to get really tired accomplishing nothing.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

I would like God or science to explain why the body's natural reaction to stress is to get really tired accomplishing nothing.

It's really good at making you run or just going all out like a maniac for a short period of time. But yeah, not super good for fighting.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Here's something I've been wondering. The grappling we see nowadays is a mix-and-match of judo, BJJ and wrestling. Both judo and BJJ have the same common ancestor in traditional jujutsu. Wrestling is a largely Western thing, coming all the way back from Greece and medieval Europe. My question is: historically, how similar did different grappling systems get?

Maybe wrestling and jujutsu both developed independently and had mostly different profiles until the "styles" met in the recent past (something like the 19th century) and a huge exchange event happened, after which wrestling adopted a variety of jujutsu techniques and vice-versa.

Or maybe different people reached largely the same conclusions in different parts of the planet. Throws and submissions being invented multiple times simultaneously throughout the globe. Then, when the great exchange happened, you had people from vastly different backgrounds using the same techniques, calling them by different names. Maybe grappling martial arts went through a convergent evolution process.

Or it can even be that multiple small exchange events happened through history and Western and Eastern grappling didn't evolve that independently after all.

Anyone know anything about this, or maybe about a source that deals with a general history of martial arts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Cyphoderus posted:

Here's something I've been wondering. The grappling we see nowadays is a mix-and-match of judo, BJJ and wrestling. Both judo and BJJ have the same common ancestor in traditional jujutsu. Wrestling is a largely Western thing, coming all the way back from Greece and medieval Europe. My question is: historically, how similar did different grappling systems get?

Maybe wrestling and jujutsu both developed independently and had mostly different profiles until the "styles" met in the recent past (something like the 19th century) and a huge exchange event happened, after which wrestling adopted a variety of jujutsu techniques and vice-versa.

Or maybe different people reached largely the same conclusions in different parts of the planet. Throws and submissions being invented multiple times simultaneously throughout the globe. Then, when the great exchange happened, you had people from vastly different backgrounds using the same techniques, calling them by different names. Maybe grappling martial arts went through a convergent evolution process.

Or it can even be that multiple small exchange events happened through history and Western and Eastern grappling didn't evolve that independently after all.

Anyone know anything about this, or maybe about a source that deals with a general history of martial arts?

We've had similar discussion in the past and from what I've gathered the more you go back into history, the more similar all style become. The big differences in style seem to come from the transformation from defensive martial art to a sport. But at the root of it all, greek wrestling was similar to Japanese Jiu jitsu. I recall someone posting some medieval book about sword fighting which had wrestling techniques very similar to what we see today (of course some were adapted to the presence of weapons). In the end, there's only so many efficient ways to bring someone to the ground, choke him or break one of his articulation.

Have a greek Ippon Seio Nage

• Locked thread