Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bomper
Apr 26, 2009

Good games, had a lot of fun! Can't make it on Wednesdays but enjoy yourselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
That was a good time, I had a lot of fun trying to not suck! There were a lot of crazy moments and close calls throughout the tournament. Hopefully we can make this more of a regular thing and draw in more people.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah that was a lot of fun hopefully by next week I can shake off the dust and beat someone. Disease's team was really irritating to fight. I am not 100% what to do about Arthur. In vanilla you could just mercilessly rush him down but he seems better equipped to deal with it now.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Missed last night's tournament but I'm eagerly looking ahead towards next week.

Did a Shuma-Gorath team really take the PS3 tournament?

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yes he did. I had a chance to play him, he definitely deserved it. I'm down for another one next week. It was a lot of fun.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yep. Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath. The crossups with the Zip Line and the Shuma laser assist were ridiculous.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Seriously, that was pesky as gently caress! I also loved Ybrik's X-Factor Skrull shenangians, that was entertaining. I definitely look forward to playing you guys again!

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Well worth doing again when I don't choke so much thus sending my Hawkeye out to die horribly :smith:

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I was glad to see that the two guys who bodied me(Shiki Dan and bomper) at least went deep in the tournament. Have to learn some new setups.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
FSLink and Sputnik, thanks for the great matches!

To the folks heading this thing, will the videos of the entire tournaments be uploaded anywhere?

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

FSLink and Sputnik, thanks for the great matches!

To the folks heading this thing, will the videos of the entire tournaments be uploaded anywhere?
They are here for fervent analysis of one's fuckups:

http://www.twitch.tv/fslink/b/319263470 PS3
http://www.twitch.tv/tippingforties/b/319265819 360

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Oh, neat! Thanks, I thought those were going to be live streams only.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Grand Finals for PS3 start at 2 hours 40 minutes.

I swear, Shuma-Gorath is secretly high tier. He can do over a million in the corner with no assist, no x-factor, 2 bars. (though I cannot do it online) He's got what I think is the best assist in the entire game, he can do overhead crossups by himself, and if he has 3 bars, he will get a literally unescapable level 3 on on any incoming character because it's unblockable, and can be cancelled into from any move, including mystic smash which is normally un-cancellable. Only two characters can escape the incoming level 3: Phoenix and Sentinel.

Smeego, are you still going to hand out the forums upgrade?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Um Jammer 6096 posted:

Only two characters can escape the incoming level 3: Phoenix and Sentinel.

If we're talking about characters that have air moves that have invincibility, then I'm pretty sure that covers a lot more than that. Also Morrigan, and Spidey probably.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Um Jammer 6096 posted:

Smeego, are you still going to hand out the forums upgrade?
I whispered CptPuppet the certificate code, and I think tabs got his when I blurted it out into the IRC. If that was not the case somehow, please PM me winners!

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I didn't catch the last fight the other day, but I've seen Shuma players so good they make air dashing look like cheating. They float around and doge every attack like impossible-to-hit targets at one of those crooked carnival shooting galleries.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Um Jammer 6096 posted:

I swear, Shuma-Gorath is secretly high tier.

Shuma has the same benefits as Viewtiful Joe and Rocket Raccoon: Nobody uses him so nobody has a loving clue how to fight it when the random player does use him effectively.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm sad I missed the tournament and I don't think I can compete in the next one because it starts too late for me. I have to be up for work in the morning. Could it start at 9:00est or is the time set in stone?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

theguy2687 posted:

I'm sad I missed the tournament and I don't think I can compete in the next one because it starts too late for me. I have to be up for work in the morning. Could it start at 9:00est or is the time set in stone?

I want to start next weeks a little later cause 6 is pretty early west coast time. But don't worry I plan on alternating it from week to week with a weekend tournament thrown in occasionally.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

TaurusOxford posted:

Shuma has the same benefits as Viewtiful Joe and Rocket Raccoon: Nobody uses him so nobody has a loving clue how to fight it when the random player does use him effectively.

The difference is Rocket Raccoon is actually a good character. As much as I love Shuma Gorath, he has some huge problems that someone has to overcome while playing him. I would certainly like to see someone wreck poo poo with him though, P-Gorath did it for awhile in vanilla. He's low tier as poo poo but in my opinion the only truly unplayable character in this game is Phoenix Wright.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Here is my super duper secret strategy to beat all Shuma's

air grab him out of mystic smash every time he tries to move across the screen with it. Especially double dangerous on a character who has combos off their air grab aka pretty much all the best characters.

Bad character with an okay level 3=who cares

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Here is my super duper secret strategy to beat all Shuma's

air grab him out of mystic smash every time he tries to move across the screen with it. Especially double dangerous on a character who has combos off their air grab aka pretty much all the best characters.

Bad character with an okay level 3=who cares

I would absolutely love to play against you. Are you going to participate in the ps3 tourny?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
No ps3 so nope! I should be more fair though and say that air grabbing shuma out of stuff isn't the only thing you have to do. Still a kind of bad character with too many weaknesses though! At least he's better than he was in MvC2.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
So I'm trying to learn some resets/ ambiguous setups. I learned a nifty one with dante: After beehive you have two options for making your opponent take a big hit. If you st.l you can dash under and crossup on landing (they should not be recovered before your dash is completed I think) OR you can jump after the groudbounce, air m, m, jump again (they will flip out) and you should be able to grab them immediately (perfect height).

Just some thoughts while playing. Probably not groundbreaking but its better than nothing.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So apparently I am still not able to beat a decent Wesker.

I thought you could grab him out the teleport that leaves him up in the air? Every time I go for it (this is online mind you) I eat a kick to the face and usually a combo that finishes my character. I've not once managed to grab him out of it (I can reliably grab spencers out of their zipline, which seems like the same concept to me). Any tips here? Can I grab him if he tele's behind me? What else can I respond to this with?

It is honestly the case that some Wesker will spam this and I am at a complete disadvantage, because it usually means I don't have my fire grenades to sit in anymore.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Anyone got any vids of good shuma play?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Waverhouse posted:

So apparently I am still not able to beat a decent Wesker.

I thought you could grab him out the teleport that leaves him up in the air? Every time I go for it (this is online mind you) I eat a kick to the face and usually a combo that finishes my character. I've not once managed to grab him out of it (I can reliably grab spencers out of their zipline, which seems like the same concept to me). Any tips here? Can I grab him if he tele's behind me? What else can I respond to this with?

It is honestly the case that some Wesker will spam this and I am at a complete disadvantage, because it usually means I don't have my fire grenades to sit in anymore.

You can grab him out of that teleport. I generally predict it and grab it rather than grab it on reaction. I'm not sure if there's enough time to jump, then grab if you're doing it on reaction. I've found that when Wesker does LMHS and I push block I can buffer a jump forward after the advancing guard, then press H to airgrab if/when he teleports up forward. I guess Wesker could bait that jump forward and punish with a cross under dash + S or assist + ground teleport but I feel like it's relatively safe to buffer the jump forward after the AG.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

So yeah there is another tourny tonight so get in IRC by 10est/7pst if you want to play. irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Gonna miss this one as I'm traveling, but good luck to everyone who enters and I'll hopefully be around for the next one.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
I'll try to be there tonight, hopefully bringing a more competent Doctor Strange to the table.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I'll try to be there with a less spastic connection.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

SpaceBees posted:

The difference is Rocket Raccoon is actually a good character. As much as I love Shuma Gorath, he has some huge problems that someone has to overcome while playing him. I would certainly like to see someone wreck poo poo with him though, P-Gorath did it for awhile in vanilla. He's low tier as poo poo but in my opinion the only truly unplayable character in this game is Phoenix Wright.

I've seen more people have success with Wright then I do with Shuma or Hsien-Ko. Also I think VJoe is a sleeper High Tier, have you seen that man's overhead?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Also I think VJoe is a sleeper High Tier, have you seen that man's overhead?

No one sees his overhead. That's the problem. :v:

Joe's only real weakness is his range, and that in turn is also a strength for him because his small body makes a lot of combos not work against him.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

At least he's better than he was in MvC2.

I honestly think he's worse, chaos dimension got nerfed, he can't use mystic stare to get free hard tags anymore, and the only thing he has to show for it is mystic ray, which will get him toasted by any projectile super.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

No one sees his overhead. That's the problem. :v:

Joe's only real weakness is his range, and that in turn is also a strength for him because his small body makes a lot of combos not work against him.

Depends what you mean by range. His normals are short, yes, but his voomarang game is annoying as gently caress. I play joe sometimes (poorly) and using his voomarang as cover to advance is something I've still yet to grasp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDhKdrwBBk

Also, wish I could play in the tournament tonight but I have prior commitments.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
It's kind of weird how for some characters Capcom's balancing process has been "give them the range of an quadruple amputee". It just makes them awkward to use. Would RR be top tier if he was the size of a normal character?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

darealkooky posted:

I honestly think he's worse, chaos dimension got nerfed, he can't use mystic stare to get free hard tags anymore, and the only thing he has to show for it is mystic ray, which will get him toasted by any projectile super.

Basically everyone who isn't Magneto, Storm, and Sentinel are better than they were in MvC2 because Magneto, Storm, and Sentinel aren't the same as in MvC2

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

MY ANIME GF posted:

Basically everyone who isn't Magneto, Storm, and Sentinel are better than they were in MvC2 because Magneto, Storm, and Sentinel aren't the same as in MvC2

Iron Man is much worse.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Niddhogg posted:

Iron Man is much worse.

I still ask myself what was going through their minds.

:( keep trying tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Oh that's right, also Strider

• Locked thread