Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I've recently turned my parents on to the joy of sharp knives. My father has long been unhappy with electric carving knives, but every other knife he tried was old and dull, so it was always back to the electric meat shredding machine. I had him try my Shun chef knife and it rocked his world.

Father's day is rolling around and I wanted to get him a nice carving knife, but I'm afraid the Shuns are too prone to chipping. It's easy to avoid bones and always cut on wood, but one problem stands out. Accidentally running the blade into the carving fork. Is the answer to be more careful or get a less fragile knife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I've been cooking a lot of potatoes recently, and I notice that there's dark spots in them, usually just a couple, and they're always near the skin, or just a little below. I've been cutting them out, but what are they? Is it safe to just go gently caress it and leave the smaller ones in?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Captain Novolin posted:

I've been cooking a lot of potatoes recently, and I notice that there's dark spots in them, usually just a couple, and they're always near the skin, or just a little below. I've been cutting them out, but what are they? Is it safe to just go gently caress it and leave the smaller ones in?

Dark spots in potatoes are like bruising in apples...mushy, but not harmfull.

In potatoes, you should watch out (and cut away) green spots and green skin...really green skinny potatoes should be tossed. Also, potato shoots....all of those should not be eaten, as they're toxic.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Oh Em Gee posted:

I'm making burgers today and I have a variety of meats (beef, pork and lamb) and I'm thinking of mixing all three together, obviously I want beef to be the main meat here but I'm wondering about the proportions of the other kind of meat.

Am I being stupid by wanting to combine all three together? I'll be making diner style burgers not thick burgers if you are wondering.

If your beef is very lean, make two kinds, pork/beef and lamb/beef. I never tried mixing all three together, but it would probably end up tasting like lamb.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Turkeybone posted:

So my ideal plan is to roast this thing at home, drive over there, fire up the apps (30m or so), and then make on with the dinner. I have other stuff to fire too, so I'd rather make the beef fire and forget.
I'd just cook it, wrap it in heavy duty aluminium foil, then throw it in an ice chest. It'll keep at serving temperature for an hour, hour and a half that way, easy.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So how bad is it that I accidentally left the neck in the whole chicken I put in the crock pot? I took it out after about four hours when I remembered I hadn't. It's got another two hours or so in there, and Mr. Lullabee was all grossed out, but I think it should be okay. Right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's just meat and bone like the rest of it, doesn't matter. You can eat it if you want, I usually just save them for stock.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

SubG posted:

I'd just cook it, wrap it in heavy duty aluminium foil, then throw it in an ice chest. It'll keep at serving temperature for an hour, hour and a half that way, easy.

Ahh that would've made sense too. Honestly everything worked out great just doing it there.

I tossed in the apps (I took the bacon off the scallops and pre-cooked it for about 15m at 325, then re-wrapped) at 450 for about 10m and then the beef went in.. 25m at 450 and then when I stuck in my thermometer I realized that it was saying icewater was 86 degrees. So I had to wing it, another 15m at 325-- luckily I still have the touch. It was medium rare at it's thickest and medium well at the tip, something for everyone at the table.

It was a lot of fun and I made a little bank.

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
I have a quick question about roasting cauliflower.

I've got a whole head of it cut up and ready to go, rinsed allowed to dry off the excess water etc. My question is basically this: Oven temperatures and cooking time.

I've had a look around on a lot of websites, and the cooking method and times vary greatly. I've seen roasting with foil on for 15 mins to allow them to steam and then another 30 mins without foil, all at 200c (~400f) to baking for 50 mins at 500f, and then putting up under a high grill for 3 mins. That second one didn't even call for olive oil (or any oil for that matter).

I've had some very mixed results with vegetarian/vegan websites, and when I see things like "These roasted cauliflower are better than fries!" I'm kind of dubious.

I did have a recipe that looked pretty tempting, but I can't find it in my bookmarks, so I'm winging it from memory. Basically this:

-1 head of cauliflower, chopped.
[For reference mine are basically 3cmx3cm, because that's bound to affect cooking times]
-Olive oil
-Salt, spices. I'm going for cumin and maybe a little hot curry powder, but the recipe said things like paprika could work too.

Coat with a bit of olive oil, toss with spices, Bake.

The questions I have is, what is the best temp to be aiming for? Will Fan-forced make a difference, if so what? Are the spices likely to burn and go bitter, and if so what's a good way to avoid that?

I was also thinking doing some with garlic and chilli, but I'm assuming the garlic will burn in the oven, so I might halve the cauliflower and fry up garlic and chilli in a pan and toss the cauliflower in that afterwards roasting.

I've never really had much hope when it comes to anything that goes in an oven, so pointers are welcome :(

Edit: N/m. I just decided to wing it. Works out that a head of broccoli fills my large and small roasting pans perfectly. I've got the small pan with a batch of cauliflower in the cumin & curry. The oven's warmed up my apartment and filled it with the smell of cumin. Awesome because it's been freezing here lately.

I had 'em in covered for 15mins, and it's been about 45mins after I uncovered them and I'm about to take them out now.. I'll probably leave them covered longer next time (I've had the bigger batch in covered for about 30mins and they're still not soft enough).

All in all though not bad for something I'm not used to having. I just thought I should update you all about how it went. If anyone has any pointers to improve things though, they're still welcome!

Favela Flav fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 28, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Favela Flav posted:

I have a quick question about roasting cauliflower.

I've got a whole head of it cut up and ready to go, rinsed allowed to dry off the excess water etc. My question is basically this: Oven temperatures and cooking time.

I've had a look around on a lot of websites, and the cooking method and times vary greatly. I've seen roasting with foil on for 15 mins to allow them to steam and then another 30 mins without foil, all at 200c (~400f) to baking for 50 mins at 500f, and then putting up under a high grill for 3 mins. That second one didn't even call for olive oil (or any oil for that matter).

I've had some very mixed results with vegetarian/vegan websites, and when I see things like "These roasted cauliflower are better than fries!" I'm kind of dubious.

I did have a recipe that looked pretty tempting, but I can't find it in my bookmarks, so I'm winging it from memory. Basically this:

-1 head of cauliflower, chopped.
[For reference mine are basically 3cmx3cm, because that's bound to affect cooking times]
-Olive oil
-Salt, spices. I'm going for cumin and maybe a little hot curry powder, but the recipe said things like paprika could work too.

Coat with a bit of olive oil, toss with spices, Bake.

The questions I have is, what is the best temp to be aiming for? Will Fan-forced make a difference, if so what? Are the spices likely to burn and go bitter, and if so what's a good way to avoid that?

I was also thinking doing some with garlic and chilli, but I'm assuming the garlic will burn in the oven, so I might halve the cauliflower and fry up garlic and chilli in a pan and toss the cauliflower in that afterwards roasting.

I've never really had much hope when it comes to anything that goes in an oven, so pointers are welcome :(

Edit: N/m. I just decided to wing it. Works out that a head of broccoli fills my large and small roasting pans perfectly. I've got the small pan with a batch of cauliflower in the cumin & curry. The oven's warmed up my apartment and filled it with the smell of cumin. Awesome because it's been freezing here lately.

I had 'em in covered for 15mins, and it's been about 45mins after I uncovered them and I'm about to take them out now.. I'll probably leave them covered longer next time (I've had the bigger batch in covered for about 30mins and they're still not soft enough).

All in all though not bad for something I'm not used to having. I just thought I should update you all about how it went. If anyone has any pointers to improve things though, they're still welcome!

I do a thing that is pretty easy with cauliflower. I like to slice it about 2-3 mm thin (think potato gratin), and saute in cast iron with some browned butter, capers, garlic, and salt. Don't stir too much because you want some nice caramelization. Then finish with a bit of fresh lemon juice and top with some fresh grated parm.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I don't know the first thing about ovens, and am about to buy one, any tips will be appreciated :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My name falls into the "salad" category for a going-away potluck on Wednesday night. So warm summer evening, patio at sunset, lots of wine, etc. I'm thinking of a salad which is oranges, jicama, cucumbers, red onion, and cilantro. But I feel like maybe something else should be in there, but I can't figure out what else. Any ideas?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My name falls into the "salad" category for a going-away potluck on Wednesday night. So warm summer evening, patio at sunset, lots of wine, etc. I'm thinking of a salad which is oranges, jicama, cucumbers, red onion, and cilantro. But I feel like maybe something else should be in there, but I can't figure out what else. Any ideas?

Cashews candied in a fish sauce, chile, and lemongrass caramel and a bit of buttercrunch lettuce or shredded savoy cabbage.

Edit: and some fried garlic chips and lahphet if you can get some

edit 2: and mint

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 28, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Lullabee posted:

So how bad is it that I accidentally left the neck in the whole chicken I put in the crock pot?

Why did you put an entire chicken in a crock pot?

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I've just put two quiches in the oven. Its my first time cooking them on my own (dad held my hand last time)
Just wondering what kind of cooking time should I allow? They are tomato & basil goats cheese and bacon! I'm very much a newbie when it comes to cooking and I want to give one to my boyfriend's parents so I want them to turn out edible at least!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Miranda posted:

I've just put two quiches in the oven. Its my first time cooking them on my own (dad held my hand last time)
Just wondering what kind of cooking time should I allow? They are tomato & basil goats cheese and bacon! I'm very much a newbie when it comes to cooking and I want to give one to my boyfriend's parents so I want them to turn out edible at least!
I went through an awful lot of different techniques for making a quiche, and summarised by findings here and here.

Short version, I'd scald the milk/cream before putting it in the crust (not an option if they're already done), and cook longer at a lower temperature to develop the correct custard consistency and flavour development.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
So there was a quichetastrophe! They overflowed. But fingers crossed they turn out ok!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cashews candied in a fish sauce, chile, and lemongrass caramel and a bit of buttercrunch lettuce or shredded savoy cabbage.

Edit: and some fried garlic chips and lahphet if you can get some

edit 2: and mint

Good ideas. The candied nuts especially would add the texture thing I'm looking for. Worried about the garlic chips getting soggy in there though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I bought some gochujang to make the spicy stir fried pork from Maangchi's website. Outside of generic stir fries what can I use it for? I realise it can be a good substitute when I want sweet/spicy food. How long will it keep? I imagine near forever

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Dinner tonight will be leftover carbonara from last night, but it's not enough for two dinner-sized portions. We have some boneless breasts in the fridge that I figured we could cook up to round out the meal. Any suggestions on what to do with them, or what herbs/spices if we just pan fry them up?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I bought some gochujang to make the spicy stir fried pork from Maangchi's website. Outside of generic stir fries what can I use it for? I realise it can be a good substitute when I want sweet/spicy food. How long will it keep? I imagine near forever

It's half of ssamjang, also good in vinaigrettes, mixed into mayonnaise for a sandwich, with bibimbap, or anytime you want a sweetish hot sauce. I've wanted to try making american style baby back ribs with it in the bbq sauce.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

Dinner tonight will be leftover carbonara from last night, but it's not enough for two dinner-sized portions. We have some boneless breasts in the fridge that I figured we could cook up to round out the meal. Any suggestions on what to do with them, or what herbs/spices if we just pan fry them up?

Salt, pan roast in butter, skin side down first, flip and finish in the oven. Rub some herbes de provence into a powder and lightly dust the skin with it right before serving.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Sorry, they're skinless breasts. Same basic idea work ok?

I don't have herbs de provence (which Wikipedia says is a mix of savory, fennel, basil, thyme, and lavender flowers and other herbs, does that sound right?) I do have basic Italian herbs, basil, thyme, rosemary etc.

And how hot should the oven be, for how long?

EVG fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 28, 2012

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Scott Bakula posted:

It'll last a really long time, yeah. As for uses, you can mix it with mayo for a great sandwich spread, or with some honey and a bit of vinegar for a nice barbeque sauce / glaze.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Perhaps you guys can help me figure out what exactly it is I love at the Chinese comfort food place. They have it listed in English as braised pork rice. It isn't listed online anywhere so I can't reference the actual Chinese characters.
It is a bed of medium grain rice covered in a corn starch thickened brown gravy with five spice. Little bitty pieces of very tender pork (pork belly?) are in the gravy. That seems to be pretty much it.

If this isn't enough to go on, I guess I'll have to go back and get it again and take a picture of the specials board in the hopes someone can translate. It's a sacrifice I'll be willing to make.

Edit: If it helps, I asked what region the food was from and they just said "northern China".

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I like turtles posted:

Perhaps you guys can help me figure out what exactly it is I love at the Chinese comfort food place. They have it listed in English as braised pork rice. It isn't listed online anywhere so I can't reference the actual Chinese characters.
It is a bed of medium grain rice covered in a corn starch thickened brown gravy with five spice. Little bitty pieces of very tender pork (pork belly?) are in the gravy. That seems to be pretty much it.

If this isn't enough to go on, I guess I'll have to go back and get it again and take a picture of the specials board in the hopes someone can translate. It's a sacrifice I'll be willing to make.

Edit: If it helps, I asked what region the food was from and they just said "northern China".

Sounds kind of like Lu Rou Fan

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&pagenumber=3#post391184429

http://sherrywu.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/braised-pork-rice-%E6%BB%B7%E8%82%89%E9%A3%AF-lu-rou-fan/

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Seems pretty similar, but the sauce consistency I'm seeing doesn't match the restaurant version, and many of the recipes I'm finding online call for shitakes and some for dried shrimps/scallops, rock sugar, etc.
I'm ignorant enough about Chinese food that I have no idea if the above differences would constitute an entirely different dish or if it all falls within the concept of lu rou fan. I will definitely take a picture next time I'm there, of the dish and the specials board.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Chemmy posted:

Why did you put an entire chicken in a crock pot?
because my ovens thermostat stopped working weeks ago, and I'm waiting on the landlord to fix it. So, a crock pot is my really only option when it comes to something that really matters about cooking all the way through. I can throw something like frozen pizza or corn dogs in the oven no problem - they just end up extra crispy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just harvested a whole bunch of mint. What's a good way to preserve it? I usually use it in tea, my last attempt to hang dry it didn't work out. I think it's too humid here, they started getting moldy.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dry it in a very low oven or the microwave. You could also purée it and freeze it in an ice cube tray if you'd rather have something closer to fresh.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
My wife and I just bought our first house and the oven that came with it is a convection oven. I've never used one before so I'm wondering about how it is different, what things to avoid using it for and what it excels at? Also it has a meat temperature probe that plugs in to a jack in the oven and gives you a readout on the digital display of your meat temperature, can't wait to try a roast in there!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
In general, things will cook faster and more evenly because the heat is evenly distributed. Is there any easy way to turn the fan on/off, or high/low? I'm trying to think of a reason where you wouldn't specifically want convection. At the restaurant everything was convection, whether it was high or low. In converting recipes the "standard" is to subtract 50 degrees from the cook temp, but that notion is probably not practical for all applications.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

In general, things will cook faster and more evenly because the heat is evenly distributed. Is there any easy way to turn the fan on/off, or high/low? I'm trying to think of a reason where you wouldn't specifically want convection. At the restaurant everything was convection, whether it was high or low. In converting recipes the "standard" is to subtract 50 degrees from the cook temp, but that notion is probably not practical for all applications.

yeah, my parents have a convection oven and I've noticed that it has a tendency to scorch the tops of food unless you either turn off the convection, tent or otherwise cover the food, or lower the oven temp like you mentioned.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
So my friends and I are having a pie party, in which we all make pies and bring them to a central place for baking and consumption. I've never made pie before, but I understand the basic principle is to make (in my case) a meaty concoction, cool it, and pour it into a pie dish lined with shortcrust pastry, top with puff, and bake until done. My basic questions are:

1) I'm not planning on having anything starchy in the meat at this stage (I haven't really decided what meat to use yet). If I don't have potatoes etc, should I add cornstarch to ensure that the filling thickens?

2) Is balancing the amount of liquid in the filling important? Is too dry a problem, and too wet a good way to make soup pie?

3) Do I blind bake a meat pie with a pastry top?

Any general pie hints would also be appreciated. I'm leaning towards at the moment either a rabbit, leek and cider pie, or a chicken, white wine and tomato pie.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I make quite a lot of pies and in my experience they're pretty hard to mess up.

1) If you're not putting any potatoes, a good way to make the gravy a bit thicker is to dust your meat in cornflour before you brown it.
2) Too wet is a big problem, but too dry isn't usually an issue. The meat juices usually make the filling a nice thick stew.
3) I don't normally blind bake anything. I think a pie should a delicious, but reasonably low effort thing.

Beef, ale and mushroom is my favourite.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Looking for a good tom yum recipe, if anyone has made it or can link me to a good one, that would be great!

e: its for a group of at least 5 people

Argona fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 30, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I was out of town for a week. What can I do with a bunch of overripe pears? Is there a banana bread equivalent for pears?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The internet tells me:

Just remove the core, mash the fruit into a rough puree consistency, and add it to your favorite muffin or bread recipe. You will have to, of course, adjust the sugar content to compensate for the sweetness of the pears. The pear will give the muffins and breads a unique flavor and aroma that no other fruit can.

http://www.ifood.tv/blog/8-things-to-do-with-pears-this-fall-0

Smitten Kitchen (<3) has a pear bread recipe, but since it calls for firm, ripe pears I'm not sure how your mushy ones would work out. (http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/pear-bread/)

I'd love to know how it works out, because my husband always asks me to buy pears, and then he never eats them before they go soft and icky.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there a way to tell just from looking how good a cucumber is? I got a couple from the store and they're woody almost all the way through; the seeds-and-juice bit is about as thin as a felt pen. Not very tasty.

Semi-related, what are some favorite vegetarian entrees? I can find recipes myself, but I've very recently given up meat and I'm finding it a bit difficult to get inspired now. Soups and salads are easy, I'm looking for solid lunch/dinner mains. Stodgy and Hearty, without relying on a ton of cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I figured this would be the best place to ask: anyone know a good way to remove turmeric stains from floors? A bottle of turmeric took a tumble today off our fridge (no I don't know what it was doing there, I just moved in) and got a bit on the floor. I wiped off the dust, but we're left with a bright yellow splotch on the floor. It's one of those fake-tile type floors, I think.