Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

This one:

http://www.mikechow.com/Nature-and-Stuff/Wedding-Week-August-19-25-2010/13519700_C8QxmP/984957083_naeBK#!i=984957170&k=iZVz6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea I'd reblog that

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'd reblog that, but my tumblr is dedicated to the most internetty things I can find and great photos just doesn't qualify :colbert:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I guess it struck me as odd because I've had that photo set posted for almost two years before it got all popular.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Places not to take your SLR?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone know the name of the photographer who takes star trail photos in the salt flats or deserts of Austrailia (I think)? I think he was in the Post Awesome Photographers thread. I remember they almost looked abstract with the horizon so flat and the starts circling directly over the horizon.

Do you mean this guy?
http://500px.com/Hakka

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I literally burst out laughing after clicking on one of his pictures and seeing 32070 seconds as his shutter speed (about 9 hours). :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in NYC today and going to get some badass shots?

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/starstruck/manhattanhenge

If you miss it there's another opportunity July 12th. :v:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Anyone in NYC today and going to get some badass shots?

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/starstruck/manhattanhenge

If you miss it there's another opportunity July 12th. :v:

Manhattanhenge is Kind of A Thing Now. This means that Photographers with Big Lenses occupy the Best Spaces. However, I also have nothing to do tonight and a roll of film to finish so I'll see what I can do...

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Mest0r posted:

I literally burst out laughing after clicking on one of his pictures and seeing 32070 seconds as his shutter speed (about 9 hours). :v:

How is that achieved, I would have thought on a digital camera that such a long exposure would cause dead-pixels on the sensor. Let alone the actual logistics, how does one tell the shutter to stay open for 9 hours?

(Sound like a right newbie here but am I right in thinking he'd take an image every X minutes then blend them together?)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

XTimmy posted:

How is that achieved, I would have thought on a digital camera that such a long exposure would cause dead-pixels on the sensor. Let alone the actual logistics, how does one tell the shutter to stay open for 9 hours?

Remove the shutter entirely and just replace the lens cap when done. Easy!

More camera nonsense from DealExtreme, for the :smug: friend in your life who needs to show off that they have both Apple and Leica products.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Manhattanhenge is Kind of A Thing Now. This means that Photographers with Big Lenses occupy the Best Spaces. However, I also have nothing to do tonight and a roll of film to finish so I'll see what I can do...

I've noticed a good way to combat guys with big lenses is an even bigger tripod. Set one up and they seem to respect your space a little more.

Granted, I don't suspect setting up camp with a tripod in Manhattan would go over well. Photographers might respect you, but pedestrians certainly won't.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Instead of taking a photo of Manhattanhenge, take photos documenting the people taking photos of Manhattanhenge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HPL posted:

Instead of taking a photo of Manhattanhenge, take photos documenting the people taking photos of Manhattanhenge.

That's my intended gimmick if I ever visit the Mormon barn. :colbert:

I'm totally gonna spring up from the cattle yard, snap a picture, then run as fast as I can and hope I can outrun a bunch of Serious Photographers who set up an hour before dawn to get their shot.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

xzzy posted:

That's my intended gimmick if I ever visit the Mormon barn. :colbert:

I'm totally gonna spring up from the cattle yard, snap a picture, then run as fast as I can and hope I can outrun a bunch of Serious Photographers who set up an hour before dawn to get their shot.

Seeing as "Serious Photographer" usually means some fat dude with 300lbs. of gear, I'm pretty sure you could moonwalk your way to safety.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

XTimmy posted:

(Sound like a right newbie here but am I right in thinking he'd take an image every X minutes then blend them together?)
Basically yeah. Here is a good tutorial.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

You can also use a tool like The Photographer's Ephermis to find the appropriate dates for 'Henges in your town for something more unique.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

the posted:

Places not to take your SLR?

What is it with you and advice?

At least, from the fact this picture exists, your camera was apparently not instantly destroyed on your trip to the beach.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

fivre posted:

More camera nonsense from DealExtreme, for the :smug: friend in your life who needs to show off that they have both Apple and Leica products.

hahaha how bad is it that i just bought this. five bucks, why not?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

ExecuDork posted:

What is it with you and advice?

At least, from the fact this picture exists, your camera was apparently not instantly destroyed on your trip to the beach.

it survived, just needed a good scrubbin

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This seems to be pretty cool, is anyone local to try it out or talk about the experience?
https://vimeo.com/41710130

I went this past weekend. It was a pretty good time. Here's a scan of my portrait - it's a quarter plate.

They used a Sinar F with a Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6 wide open, along with a bunch of Profoto lights with modifiers. Although I think mine is pretty good, my girlfriend was less than satisfied with her portrait - the woman operating the camera didn't put as much thought into composition and posing as I'd have thought, though she was meticulous about lighting/exposure and focusing. One of the founders (I think) was there and he was nice enough about it to give us a gift certificate so we can have a reshoot sometime.

Aside from the tintype stuff they've also got Lomography cameras/film, instant cameras (refurbished Polaroids and Instax cameras), and Impossible Project/Fuji instant film.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwUnENlc9M

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

That clip justifies my having a 1D Mk II because I used to shoot squadron flag football games. Right guys? Right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, the fact that you had/have enough money to buy it is justification enough. :colbert:

At least with a 1D you can never blame the results on the equipment!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I am torn guys. I love my Nikon D80 but for some reason I have a nagging urge to sell it and get a Cannon T2i. Help me.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Soulex posted:

I am torn guys. I love my Nikon D80 but for some reason I have a nagging urge to sell it and get a Cannon T2i. Help me.

This is a pretty cut and dry case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I can't fathom why you would want to do this.

The T2i is plastic and only has one control wheel. If you're gonna switch to Canon at least get something analogous to your D80.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
What's it not doing for you?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

rear end is my canvas posted:

What's it not doing for you?

It's more of an impulse thing I believe. I was playing around with a friend's T2i in Switzerland and it was nice to handle, though the one scroll wheel was a bastard. I liked it so I looked online for comparisons and it seemed that the T2i won hands down against the D80.

I like the D80 but with me just starting out, I don't know if I need all the tools. I shoot manual mode only so I've made it that far.

It's just the nagging kernel of doubt that I didn't get the best bang for my buck you know?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mightaswell posted:

The T2i is plastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

The biggest demerit of the T2i is low light performance, noise kind of takes over.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

The biggest demerit of the T2i is low light performance, noise kind of takes over.

This video is entertaining, and leaves me with many more questions. Such as which Nikkor lens should I use to put these nails through this here wood?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I went this past weekend. It was a pretty good time. Here's a scan of my portrait - it's a quarter plate.

They used a Sinar F with a Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6 wide open, along with a bunch of Profoto lights with modifiers. Although I think mine is pretty good, my girlfriend was less than satisfied with her portrait - the woman operating the camera didn't put as much thought into composition and posing as I'd have thought, though she was meticulous about lighting/exposure and focusing. One of the founders (I think) was there and he was nice enough about it to give us a gift certificate so we can have a reshoot sometime.

Aside from the tintype stuff they've also got Lomography cameras/film, instant cameras (refurbished Polaroids and Instax cameras), and Impossible Project/Fuji instant film.

That's pretty rad. How much do they charge if you don't mind me asking?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

That's pretty rad. How much do they charge if you don't mind me asking?

It's $60 for a tintype, which I admit is a little steep. I did get free PBR while I waited, though...

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

xzzy posted:

Yes, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYif6YYVlAw

For low-light stills, the lesser processing power on the T2i is definitely apparent.
But for ISO 640 and under, it's pretty much a 7D. And on video mode performance (if that's even relevant to you), it is virtually the same as a 7D.

The D80 has superior noise performance, but if you can spare the high ISO handheld shots for longer exposure tripod shots, then a T2i is pretty much a baby 7D.

...Or at least, I've loved the time I've spent with my friend's. For the first few months, I almost felt bad for spending extra on a 60D -- over a year later, different story.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

It's more of an impulse thing I believe. I was playing around with a friend's T2i in Switzerland and it was nice to handle, though the one scroll wheel was a bastard. I liked it so I looked online for comparisons and it seemed that the T2i won hands down against the D80.

I like the D80 but with me just starting out, I don't know if I need all the tools. I shoot manual mode only so I've made it that far.

It's just the nagging kernel of doubt that I didn't get the best bang for my buck you know?

You will need more tools. Keep it and grow into it. If you downgrade, you're eventually going to want to upgrade and regret your decision.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/24/surreal-portraits-created-by-painting-developer-onto-photo-paper/

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 31, 2012

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
I was in Uniqlo yesterday and they have this big "corporate collaboration" clothing line at the moment, with the usual expected animu and video game tie ins but they also had a few camera ones.

I found t shirts for Sinar, the X100 and (comedy option) the Pentax Q.

Geeky but pretty neat. Uniqlo just opened up some US stores didn't they?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I still want a t-shirt of the Polaroid SX-70 light path

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/most-powerful-photographs-ever-taken

That stupid "kissing during the riot" photo made it in though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Wow yes I'm going to take this TOP 40 LIST on buzzfeed dot com very seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
H/t to this Reddit thread