Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

It sucks when you buy a case of Original when you were expecting Hefeweizen, though (which happened to a buddy of mine).

Haha same thing happened to me a few weeks back. Although, it was only a four pack. And I love their Hefe and their Dunkel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I just found a Unibroue Chambly Noire from 2009 in my local store, I'm taking a chance and hoping it holds up to aging well though I've never had this fresh so I don't have a point of reference.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

cryme posted:

Memphis Taproom discounts 15% (I believe) for to-go bottles, so that's probably the place to score a bottle. Last time I was there they had a bunch of 09 Consecration 750's as well.

I drank this tonight and it was incredible.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Update on the 3 year old Chambly Noire, I didn't realize this was 6.2% so I'm assuming it isn't really meant to be drank this old. The aroma is very grape-like so I'm guessing this is heavily oxidized. The flavor is very concord grape as well, as well as very watery. I guess I got a bum bottle.

Question, it seems most old bottles I see on shelves that I've tried are oxidized, how do I prevent this if I'm aging a fresh bottle?

Edit: Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cognac (try saying that fast) is interesting, but I'm not a cognac drinker so I'm not sure what to make of it. It's very intense with lots of roasted civet coffee and oak right away with a boozy finish and nothing else. It's decent, but I'm glad it's in 11.2 ounce bottles, I couldn't drink any more of it.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 31, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Had a Palate Wrecker today for the first time. I think it was better than Hoptimum, just more balanced overall, hoptimum has more hops? Not sure. Also drank a Pretty Things Jack D'or saison, which was good, much brighter in color than most saisons I've had, yellow almost like a wit, but a very drinkable beer.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 31, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Flying Mouflan happened to me last night. Fantastic barleywine, but tonight I'm working on an Old Dominion Millenium that isn't treating me so well. When it's cold it's not so bad--you can really taste the honey and some of the more caramel-y notes on the back end. But when it starts to warm it goes downhill quite rapidly as the booze gains a foothold and masks all the other flavors. Kinda tempted to throw it back in the fridge, and I'm half-tempted to get a few so I can throw them in my cellar and see if they improve. Seems like it could go either way.

In other news, as a (very late) celebration of SB 604 being signed into law, our local beer culture's frontman An Mekong did a review of Hardywood Park's Bourbon Cru. Great news for Virginians, as the bill allowed breweries to sell by the pint, and the Bourbon Cru is a fantastic loving beer. An is a ridiculous character, too, which makes the whole thing that much better.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Midorka posted:

Question, it seems most old bottles I see on shelves that I've tried are oxidized, how do I prevent this if I'm aging a fresh bottle?
Crown caps allow less O2 exchange than corks, but that's beyond your control. Lower temps will make any reactions slower, so try to age at 55F (ideal) or fridge temp. Note this will reduce all effects of aging as they're all chemical or biological processes, but it will slow the impact of oxidation. More practically, an older beer is going to oxidize and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Oxygen-fixing caps might be beneficial, but again, that's beyond your control if you're not the brewer. Hope for beers that bear their oxidation well. They do exist.

I cracked a Mikkeller Barrel Aged Black Tie I picked up a year or so ago in California. Straight out of the fridge it smelled medicinal and tasted like a Band Aid - hello acetaldehyde! As it warmed it became more meaty with peat and smoke flavors and significant honey notes to the mostly roast beef finish. Far from my favorite Mikkeller, but also far from the worst thing I've had from them.

Also there was a newish thing from Full Sail, Top Sail Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Porter. It's all bourbon, all the time, no subtlety and even as an imperial porter there's almost no body to support all that boozy burn. Really disappointing, maybe in a year or two it would lose some of that heat but even then it wouldn't have enough richness to be interesting.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 31, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

bartolimu posted:

Crown caps allow less O2 exchange than corks, but that's beyond your control. Lower temps will make any reactions slower, so try to age at 55F (ideal) or fridge temp. Note this will reduce all effects of aging as they're all chemical or biological processes, but it will slow the impact of oxidation. More practically, an older beer is going to oxidize and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Oxygen-fixing caps might be beneficial, but again, that's beyond your control if you're not the brewer. Hope for beers that bear their oxidation well. They do exist.

Thanks for the insight, guess I just have to be smarter in the future.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just had Lynch Pin, the Founders/Green Flash collaboration. It is labeled as a White IPA. To be honest, I feel like this beer can't figure out if its a wheat beer or an IPA....it honestly changed flavors like 2 or 3 times for me. But mostly it just came off as a slightly hoppy wheat beer.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I picked up a Lynch Pin when it was in stores here. I'll throw it in the fridge and probably try it this weekend. I'm in favor of slightly hoppy wheat beers, so I'm hoping it will be enjoyable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mahoning posted:

I just had Lynch Pin, the Founders/Green Flash collaboration. It is labeled as a White IPA. To be honest, I feel like this beer can't figure out if its a wheat beer or an IPA....it honestly changed flavors like 2 or 3 times for me. But mostly it just came off as a slightly hoppy wheat beer.

The best thing about Linchpin was that we got Founder's stuff in San Diego for a while. A lot of the less popular Founders stuff is still kickin' around, like the All Day IPA, Rye, and Curmudgeon's.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Mahoning posted:

I just did a White IPA as well and I loving love the style. Perfect for summer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

A lot of the less popular Founders stuff is still kickin' around, like the All Day IPA, Rye, and Curmudgeon's.

"Less popular" Founders stuff is still better than most things other breweries put out, in my opinion... Except All Day, which is just boring to me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

Update on the 3 year old Chambly Noire, I didn't realize this was 6.2% so I'm assuming it isn't really meant to be drank this old. The aroma is very grape-like so I'm guessing this is heavily oxidized. The flavor is very concord grape as well, as well as very watery. I guess I got a bum bottle.

Edit: Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cognac (try saying that fast) is interesting, but I'm not a cognac drinker so I'm not sure what to make of it. It's very intense with lots of roasted civet coffee and oak right away with a boozy finish and nothing else. It's decent, but I'm glad it's in 11.2 ounce bottles, I couldn't drink any more of it.

That doesn't sound too far off normal Chambly Noire to me. Watery, and reeks of special b.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hey Chicagoons (and those nearby), I'm gonna be in town on June 16/17 and was hoping to connect with some people and get a bit of a tasting/bar hop night planned for Saturday. Anybody interested?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sirotan posted:

Hey Chicagoons (and those nearby), I'm gonna be in town on June 16/17 and was hoping to connect with some people and get a bit of a tasting/bar hop night planned for Saturday. Anybody interested?

I miiiiight be up for that. Money's tight with my recent move; I'll let you know closer to the date. BUT, if you're gonna be around before the 16/17th, be sure to sign up for this: https://www.facebook.com/events/365572250170887/
---
GOOSE ISLAND VINTAGE PROGRAM KICKOFF
Goose Island Beer Company and Goose island Clybourn team up for a program, and an event, several years in the making.

Introducing the Goose Island Vintage Program, a new chance to experience Sofie, Matilda and Pere Jacques and old favorites like Night Stalker and Christmas Ale.

Staff Cicerone Austin Harvey will be hosting a a special Vintage Beer Academy, where guests can taste some of Goose's finest brews and contrast them in their different vintages. Bottles will be available for on-premise and to-go sales after this special event. Participants in the Beer Academy will also have a chance to taste some special surprises that rarely see the light of day!

Come experience how we taste with a little age on us.

$20/person
Please RVSP @ 312.915.0071
---

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

mysterious frankie posted:

I miiiiight be up for that. Money's tight with my recent move; I'll let you know closer to the date. BUT, if you're gonna be around before the 16/17th, be sure to sign up for this: https://www.facebook.com/events/365572250170887/
---
GOOSE ISLAND VINTAGE PROGRAM KICKOFF
Goose Island Beer Company and Goose island Clybourn team up for a program, and an event, several years in the making.

Introducing the Goose Island Vintage Program, a new chance to experience Sofie, Matilda and Pere Jacques and old favorites like Night Stalker and Christmas Ale.

Staff Cicerone Austin Harvey will be hosting a a special Vintage Beer Academy, where guests can taste some of Goose's finest brews and contrast them in their different vintages. Bottles will be available for on-premise and to-go sales after this special event. Participants in the Beer Academy will also have a chance to taste some special surprises that rarely see the light of day!

Come experience how we taste with a little age on us.

$20/person
Please RVSP @ 312.915.0071
---

Whoa. That looks pretty awesome. I'm considering.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can anyone tell me why Sixpoint is getting so much press and seems to be EVERYWHERE lately? Do they have Sam Caligione working for them?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

ShaneB posted:

Can anyone tell me why Sixpoint is getting so much press and seems to be EVERYWHERE lately? Do they have Sam Caligione working for them?

Power of marketing

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Munkaboo posted:

Power of marketing

Yeah, they recently had some huge marketing campaign. I'd already tried Resin, but I saw Sixpoint do a huge push on Untappd with the Apollo check-in badge. I also recall another contest for taking a picture with a Sixpoint can and uploading it through whatever social media/tags etc.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

zedprime posted:

That doesn't sound too far off normal Chambly Noire to me. Watery, and reeks of special b.

Interesting. I'll try it fresh and see, it tasted a lot like taking Welch's grape juice watering it down a bit and adding some sparkling carbonation. For now I'm going to blame oxidation, but I'll keep what you said in mind.

As for Sixpoint their beer is really hit or miss for me, Resin was really sweet the first run but I feel they fixed it up and made it a really solid and better balanced IIPA and Apollo is fantastic. I thought Autumnation was mediocre, there was only small hints of spices and I couldn't pick up any pumpkin. I did really enjoy their Sweet Action though. Their Mad Scientist #8 Berliner Weisse I didn't like though, but then again that was my second beer of the style and it's not very easy to take in for me.

I think they're a solid brewery and I do look forward to new beer by them.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

air- posted:

Yeah, they recently had some huge marketing campaign. I'd already tried Resin, but I saw Sixpoint do a huge push on Untappd with the Apollo check-in badge. I also recall another contest for taking a picture with a Sixpoint can and uploading it through whatever social media/tags etc.

I first tried Sixpoint about two months ago with Resin, which I really enjoyed, and then more recently I had Apollo which I thought was fantastic. I'm eager to try more of their beers. However, I've been reading lately that Sixpoint brews are contracted out (Lion Brewing?) and they've lost a step because of it. I have no frame of reference with how recently I discovered their stuff. Regardless, I want to try all of the Sixpoint. ps Cans Rule

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Midorka posted:

Their Mad Scientist #8 Berliner Weisse I didn't like though, but then again that was my second beer of the style and it's not very easy to take in for me.

Have you tried Bell's Oarsman and New Belgium Tart Lychee? Latter isn't within the definition of the style but it has a lot of the flavors, refreshing nature, and easy drinking that are traits of a good Berliner.

For those with more experience about this style, here's something I remember from my trip to The Bruery last year. My clueless self didn't catch on at the time, but I do recall seeing people using some sort of syrup (being added through the squirt type bottles you'd see at a coffee shop) with their pours of Hottenroth. How does that impact the flavor?

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Berliner Weisse is traditionally sweetened with woodruff syrup to give it a green color and a touch of sweetness to contrast with the tart and mineral character. You'll sometimes see it on German menus as Kindlweisse.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
SD's newest brewery, Societe, is up to 4 beers on tap now. I loved their Apprentice IPA, and they have a Belgian Dark now, called the Widow.

It's at 9.1%, has a mahogany tint to it and not much of a head after sitting in the glass for a few minutes.

A couple days ago I made a remark in this thread talking about how I'd differentiate US quads vs Belgian quads, and said a US quad reminds me of what "an imperial brown ale with an infusion of dark fruits would taste like."

Lo and behold, I think this beer is actually trying for that profile. A cross between Brasserie Des Rocs Grand Cru Special Brown and a less sweet/fruity Lost Abbey Judgment Day, the Widow is definitely more quaffable with the lighter viscosity but gives off a unique nutty flavor at the end too, differentiating from other BSDAs.

Easy drinking for 9.1%, and is a great example of how flavors change as a glass warms up. Another highly recommended beer from these guys. They're going to bust out an RIS around the end of June which I have high hopes for - a few more months of dialing in their flavors and learning their equipment and they'll be ready for consideration in that upper echelon of local breweries the rest of the country knows.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

air- posted:

Have you tried Bell's Oarsman and New Belgium Tart Lychee? Latter isn't within the definition of the style but it has a lot of the flavors, refreshing nature, and easy drinking that are traits of a good Berliner.

For those with more experience about this style, here's something I remember from my trip to The Bruery last year. My clueless self didn't catch on at the time, but I do recall seeing people using some sort of syrup (being added through the squirt type bottles you'd see at a coffee shop) with their pours of Hottenroth. How does that impact the flavor?

Unfortunately New Belgium and Bell's don't distribute here currrently, but I'll see what I can do about finding them in Philly! As for the syrup as I've been told it's traditional in Germany to serve it with a green syrup that sweetens it up a bit.

Edit: Beaten.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midorka posted:

Unfortunately New Belgium and Bell's don't distribute here currrently, but I'll see what I can do about finding them in Philly! As for the syrup as I've been told it's traditional in Germany to serve it with a green syrup that sweetens it up a bit.

Edit: Beaten.

Oarsman's around, you can find it in a bunch of Philly places (Pinnochio's), but we get no New Belgium, and especially no Lips of Faith series.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Oarsman's around, you can find it in a bunch of Philly places (Pinnochio's), but we get no New Belgium, and especially no Lips of Faith series.

Thanks, I never know what to look for when I take the train to Philly because there's so much poo poo I've never seen in stores. It's hard to remember everything that's good.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

For those of you in Baltimore, Stillwater's "of Love and Regret" pub/store opened doors yesterday!
http://www.ofloveandregret.com/

Also gonna grab drinks with SUPER HASSLER tonight in Houston at a new bar, Mongoose vs Cobra. They haven't publicly announced their opening, but social media's saying they're up and running.
http://mongooseversuscobra.com/

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

air- posted:

For those of you in Baltimore, Stillwater's "of Love and Regret" pub/store opened doors yesterday!
http://www.ofloveandregret.com/

Also gonna grab drinks with SUPER HASSLER tonight in Houston at a new bar, Mongoose vs Cobra. They haven't publicly announced their opening, but social media's saying they're up and running.
http://mongooseversuscobra.com/

You pumped about World of Beer opening here or what?

Anyone else been to a WoB? I know it's a bit of a chain. Wondering how much of their taps they waste on BMC stuff.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
My old bottle shop just got in 6 packs of Troegs Perpetual, I'm real worried that I won't get it here but I don't think I'm committed enough to drive 4 hours for it. That's one of the best IPAs I've had and I had no idea they started doing sixes of it instead of just bombers.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Munkaboo posted:

You pumped about World of Beer opening here or what?

Anyone else been to a WoB? I know it's a bit of a chain. Wondering how much of their taps they waste on BMC stuff.

My experience is that they're a lot like Yard House places. Lots of taps but 90% of it is all completely average beer. Additionally, the one I went to didn't list prices, ABV or serving size.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

BoredByThis posted:

Berliner Weisse is traditionally sweetened with woodruff syrup to give it a green color and a touch of sweetness to contrast with the tart and mineral character.
Also raspberry syrup, which is a lot easier to find in the US. I use some I found at Cost Plus World Market, which is just the stuff they have at coffee houses I think. Can't think of the name right now.

I kind of like it plain but apparently if you order it that way in Germany they'll look at you like you're from Mars.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

dumptruckzzz posted:

My old bottle shop just got in 6 packs of Troegs Perpetual, I'm real worried that I won't get it here but I don't think I'm committed enough to drive 4 hours for it. That's one of the best IPAs I've had and I had no idea they started doing sixes of it instead of just bombers.

If they get Troegs, you'll get it. It's a year round beer now.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

cryme posted:

If they get Troegs, you'll get it. It's a year round beer now.

You'd think so, but I see SN Celebration Ale still on shelves around here, we're a little behind the times.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

They definitely added more CCG beers for that churchkey event:

(took away the apple-brady zhukov)

CUCUMBER SAISON
JEAN RIBAULT FRENCH PALE ALE
PEACH INDIA PALE
KALEVIPOEG BALTIC PORTER
BONE VALLEY BROWN ALE
DOS COSTAS OESTE: CEDAR (w/ The Bruery)
DOS COSTAS OESTE: LEMON WOOD (w/ The Bruery)
DOS COSTAS OESTE: GRAPEFRUIT WOOD (w/ The Bruery)
TOCABAGO RED ALE
IMPROV OATMEAL RYE INDIAN BROWN ALE
BLUEBERRY MUFFIN BROWN ALE
TABLE SAISON
LIGERO BLACK LAGER
FLORIDA CRACKER WHITE ALE
JAI ALAI INDIA PALE ALE
CUBANO-STYLE ESPRESSO BROWN ALE
WARMER WINTER, WINTER WARMER: APPLE BRANDY BARREL-AGED
HUMIDOR SERIES: JAI ALAI CEDAR-AGED IPA
XENU HONEY CREAM LAGER
SMOKABAGA
CHOCOLATE-COVERED RASPBERRY LAGER
TROPICAL LAGER
HOTTER THAN HELLES LAGER

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I did some beer shopping today and finally bit on a Mikkeller Black Hole, they had the tequila and wine aged ones and I hate tequila so I got the wine one, I also picked up HeBrew RIPA on Rye bottled in 2010, a Unibroue Quatre Centieme, and an Aventinus Eisbock.

I hosed up a little and was a little gung-hoe on the Mikkeller, I saw wine and thought it was aged in red wine barrels, nope white wine. It's decent, but gently caress the oak is super prominent in the aroma and the white wine (chardonnay?) finish is really strong. Still it's better than what I imagine the tequila one tastes like, I loving hate that spirit right after rum. I don't know the date of this though so could someone help me? The foil cap has 4591105, does anyone know if that has anything to do with the bottling date?

I didn't realize the RIPA on Rye was so old, but I'm sure the hop flavor was killed long before now from the barrel aging so I'm interested to see how it turned out. One last question though, I don't see a date on the Quatre Centieme, I assume it was brewed in 2008 only, but the Unibroue site says it's been brewed since 2008 and unlike other Unibroue bottles, this isn't date stamped which is weird.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Can someone point out a good summer beer, that comes in a can, and I can get in CO. I'm not a fan of IPAs or the bitterness of hops generally. Looking for cans so I can pack it in/out easily.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

deong posted:

Can someone point out a good summer beer, that comes in a can, and I can get in CO. I'm not a fan of IPAs or the bitterness of hops generally.

you live in CO- shouldn't you be telling us?

gonna assume that means you know and don't care for Oscar Blues- maybe check out Avery's White Rascal or Ellie's Brown, Upslope's brown, or Anderson Valley's Amber or Summer Solstice. if you get Maui Brewing Co, anything that isn't their IPA. oh, and 21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat.

VVV poo poo tastes like cream soda to me. i'm not a fan, but it certainly fits what deong was asking for. VVV

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

funkybottoms posted:

you live in CO- shouldn't you be telling us?

gonna assume that means you know and don't care for Oscar Blues- maybe check out Avery's White Rascal or Ellie's Brown, Upslope's brown, or Anderson Valley's Amber or Summer Solstice. if you get Maui Brewing Co, anything that isn't their IPA. oh, and 21st Amendment's Watermelon Wheat.

What does everyone think of AV's Summer Solstice? Maybe I got a bad batch, but mine tasted like liquified pennies. One of only three drain-pours in my life.