Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I only just now got the double meaning of "better luck next time". :doh:

And on the voicework front, this is forever the best Terezi voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Starmaker posted:

Oh calm down. The thing people always seem to forget is that we end up falling in love with these new characters every time. I mean, look at Meenah. Chances are we'll just get to see what they look like, and learn a little about them, like the A2 Ancestors, without much more. People were whining when they were starting to be introduced, too. I imagine these A1 versions are going to serve the story as a sort of amalgamation of the A2 Ancestors' expository role and the Act 4/5.1 troll introductions, since Act 6 has basically been the entire comic repeated in abbreviated form. Hey we're in Act 6.3 now, aren't we? Wasn't Act 3 when the trolls first started appearing?

Anyways, they're all ghosts, and like I said they'll probably never be able to directly influence anything. And I'm pretty sure these will be the absolute last batch of new characters introduced, except maybe the exiles... Hey! Maybe we'll get new versions of AR and WV and everything, yet they're basically exactly the same, like Jack and DD. I also wonder if we'll end up with four or six "main" A1 trolls, only this time the roles will be reversed, and all the dead A2 trolls will get more representation in their A1 ancestors. That could be okay.

There's nothing inherently wrong with more characters, and it's no surprise Hussie can keep making up new and interesting characters and events, it's just an acknowledgement that Homestuck is a never-ending chain of introductions. There always has to be some group of characters we've yet to meet but are expecting to see. We'll probably meet new characters in the epilogue.

I wouldn't be so sure about them not influencing the story much, either. Even if it's something small but vital, I'd bank on just about everything and everyone being necessary to the outcome of the final battle.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It can and does grate though. One of my friends stopped reading because he didn't want to wade through yet another series of character introductions and quirks.

In a meta-fictional way it makes sense though, we as readers are stuck in the same endless loop as the characters and universes of Homestuck. Every time a climactic event occurs it generates another beginning and we go through the cycle again.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

At least we probably won't learn about pre-scratch Karkat and crew.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

There's no way we're not learning about Pre-scratch Karkat at the very least.

In fact, the rate we're going, if we meet the pre-scratch trolls, it's sounding like he'll be the last one to be introduced.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Color Printer posted:

There's no way we're not learning about Pre-scratch Karkat at the very least.

In fact, the rate we're going, if we meet the pre-scratch trolls, it's sounding like he'll be the last one to be introduced.

I know this is Homestuck and all but I really really do not see how the A1 ancestors will ever be relevant given A1 Alternia's nature.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

"At least." If this happened I would be delighted! More trolls! More new characters!

Bring on the Squiddle Intermission imo.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Android Blues posted:

"At least." If this happened I would be delighted! More trolls! More new characters!

Bring on the Squiddle Intermission imo.

Yeah, why not?

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It can and does grate though. One of my friends stopped reading because he didn't want to wade through yet another series of character introductions and quirks.

I have never been happier to see an update. You have no idea how relieved I was.

Edit: Okay, How do i live without you was better.

Jazu fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 31, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dolash posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with more characters, and it's no surprise Hussie can keep making up new and interesting characters and events, it's just an acknowledgement that Homestuck is a never-ending chain of introductions. There always has to be some group of characters we've yet to meet but are expecting to see. We'll probably meet new characters in the epilogue.

I wouldn't be so sure about them not influencing the story much, either. Even if it's something small but vital, I'd bank on just about everything and everyone being necessary to the outcome of the final battle.

I'm pretty sure Aranea is being set up to be the one that'll tell everyone about Lord English and what he did in order to give them a reason to take him out(like Aranea telling Terezi about A1) instead of just "completing" B2 and making a new universe. Meenah? I'm betting she'll be involved in "defeating" LE because she seems like the type that has no problems deciding what sacrifices will be necessary to survive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Aw gently caress who inspected my pickle. Goddammit. I really liked my old AV. :(

On-topic: Kinda disappointing that they are on the pink moon and there's really nothing special about its surroundings.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 31, 2012

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

:catstare:

I'm hoping to be introduced to the new/old trolls, if only to see how they're different from both the ancestors and the A2 trolls.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
I won't be surprised if Act 6 Act 5 heavily mirrors Act 5 Act 1, but I'm torn between whether it should focus on the A1 trolls, or UU/uu. I feel like the former would have to be accelerated way too much, lest we get bogged down in barely relevant Troll Ancestor Exposition.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Holy gently caress, John :(

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm kind of wondering if uu/UU "broke" the predestination part of the game in Sburb. Usually the game caters to the players, as if it knows exactly who they are. What if uu/UU seriously threw the Medium for a loop, hence the dark Skaia?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Anyone following this Nepeta hat thing on tumblr? Complete train wreck.

Kazy posted:

I'm kind of wondering if uu/UU "broke" the predestination part of the game in Sburb. Usually the game caters to the players, as if it knows exactly who they are. What if uu/UU seriously threw the Medium for a loop, hence the dark Skaia?

I'm thinking of an old chess program I had on my 386. It was too basic to pretend to be human, so as soon as you moved, it moved. No pause.

...unless you did a totally off-the-wall move it wasn't expecting, and then it actually would pause and recalculate. Weird, never before seen icons would appear, the screen would stop taking mouse commands, etc.

Maybe black Skaia is the Sburb "busy" icon.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Bobulus posted:

Anyone following this Nepeta hat thing on tumblr? Complete train wreck.

Not in the least. What Special Olympic Event is the Internet participating in this week?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kazy posted:

I'll quote a post I made regarding UU/uu's Skaia/battlefield for this:

YF-23 posted:

I just realised after reading this, if UU/uu occupy the same body, they cannot have a two-player session. When either of them would enter, so would the other. One prototyping could happen at best. And I don't think you can have the game progress at all (as in get to the reckoning) with only one prototyping.

Which in turn means no meteors headed towards UU/uu to create any sense of urgency (or need!) about entering.

Something has got to give here.

How does Skaia even handle a one-player session? There would be so many things off in a once-prototyped session I have a hard time imagining the implications that would have on everything given how deep the various iterations of Sburb sink their claws in the universe they are in through their sessions.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Maybe uu/UU was originally one troll, and playing a one-person session just caused the game to compensate by splitting the dreamselves.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Popo posted:

Not in the least. What Special Olympic Event is the Internet participating in this week?

Some girls were making and selling Nepeta hats (and labeling them Nepeta hats, not just generic kitty hats). They (supposedly) emailed Hussie for permission when they started making them in April, but when they didn't get a response, they sold 'em anyway.

When someone noticed them selling them this week at a convention, Hussie's GF asked people on tumblr not to buy them. This fired off this giant retarded clusterfuck of arguments from the people selling the hats, including:
- Trying to make serious arguments about copyright while calling it "copy write"
- Arguing that clothing items cannot be copyrighted, so it's totally okay to do this
- We're going to stop making them, but we'll keep selling off our surplus stock.
- But that's totally okay because we're offering to give you guys a percentage of our profits!

And multiple people at the convention are claiming that they were saying that Hussie is a hypocrite (for using stock images in the backgrounds of some of the panels, I think?) and thus it's okay to rip him off.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Popo posted:

Doesn't seem to be anything terribly exciting, just the latest flare-up between the Free Alliance of People Who Don't Understand How Copyright Law Works and the fascist hordes of the Overhussie.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bobulus posted:

And multiple people at the convention are claiming that they were saying that Hussie is a hypocrite (for using stock images in the backgrounds of some of the panels, I think?) and thus it's okay to rip him off.

That's a bit disappointing. I was expecting something more to the effect of the Tumblr Social Justice Warriors having a temper tantrum over a line Nepeta said. It just isn't a Tumblr scandal without legions of self-righteous college girls trying to speak for a minority they aren't a part of in a misguided attempt at "helping".

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Bobulus posted:

So I'm guessing some people don't know what "stock" means. Either that or it's a stupid line of thinking they've got going on there.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Gabriel Pope posted:

Doesn't seem to be anything terribly exciting, just the latest flare-up between the Free Alliance of People Who Don't Understand How Copyright Law Works and the fascist hordes of the Overhussie.

I must admit, the concept of an Overhussie is a terrifying idea.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Hell loving yes! It's storytime, sister.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gabriel Pope posted:

I wouldn't say it's that simple. Though I don't really know the specifics of this particular case, just that someone was trying to sell Nepeta hats, the border between fashion designs and copyrightable concepts is an interesting legal discussion, and I would have totally brought up this issue in class if it had arisen when I was taking IP law.

Actually, to bring this conversation around to myself like the class act I am, remember those Prospit and Derse PJ's I posted a while back? When the thread descended into the suggestion of sale and copyright, as is the case every time someone posts a cool Homestuck thing they make around here, had the conversation not moved on by the time I returned to the thread, I would have responded with something to the effect of, "Of course I'm not going to sell them. If I was, I very well wouldn't say they're Prospit and Derse pajamas, I'd just say they happen to be purple and yellow princess-y nightgowns. What do I look like, a moron? It probably wouldn't hold up in court, but at least I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot."

But is that necessarily true? Certainly the color palettes can't be copyrighted, maybe taken together with the fact that there's a little moon on them could be, but they're nightgowns for Pete's sake. Moons are standard nightgown fare. The designs themselves were my own, not actually found in the comic, though many attributes are similar. But none of that really matters, because a copyright violation occurs when a derivative work, taken as a whole, conjures up the original in your mind.

What makes this case muddy is that only the non-utility aspects of a useful item, like clothing, can be copyrighted, which would mean, for example, the picture on a t-shirt. Taken as a whole, yes, they clearly invoke copyrighted material, which would normally by definition be a violation, but the fact that they're useful items (They're very comfy pajamas and I do sleep in them!), and the bits that invoke copyrighted material (i.e. color, shoulder pads) are also, for the most part, useful (exception perhaps being the World's Most Inartfully Embroidered Moons), could mean no violation. They fall into the weird exception on which, unfortunately, I only spent about five minutes of class time about eight months ago since it's not really a developed area, so I don't actually know the answer.

Still, I'll side with Hussie since I'm not a bootlegging rear end in a top hat, and my gut says that it's wrong to profit from someone else's work even when it's just clothes.

Wow, sorry for that. It's probably in bad taste to call a Tumblr mess an interesting discussion and then contribute to it, let alone give merit to the side we're supposed to be mocking, but I just get a little excited when one of my personal interests coincides with something I have a modicum of knowledge about.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Here's the summary of the Ancestor's stories, for those who didn't quite get it the first time. I call it Doc Scratch Recap For Dummies Suckers.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Aranea gets so mad if she's not allowed to exposition dump at length. I like that.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
From the reader's perspective, we've known about these backstories. But the trolls and kids are hearing it for the first time, especially in such a cut and dry fashion. It'll be interesting to see how this new information pans out.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

It's pretty funny to get the hilariously condensed version of these events from someone who had given us half of the overly long versions before.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

- Terezi's little comment there is the best part.
- I hope we learn something here about the Condesce that we didn't until now!
- Aranea, despite thinking that A2 Alternia was a shithole, still thinks her alternate self was pretty awesome. That plus getting angry at no exposition says that her ego is just as big as Vriska's is, she just expresses it differently.
- Was Terezi missing her glasses on the panels before this? I get why she's not wearing them, but I feel like they were there before and Hussie went back and edited them out.
- Guess Hussie finally decided on a slang term for troll boobs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"waterboat meeeee!!!" is the best marine pun yet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Man, so this is how Hussie seems to never get writer's block. If at any time he's reaching, he can just dig into the fan perception of whatever he's doing and crank out a hilariously sarcastic dig on the whole thing, while still making it entertaining to read. I stand in awe.

fake edit: Which isn't to say that I thought he was reaching or anything -- damned if I know. I just read the words.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

- Terezi's little comment there is the best part.

I believe on closer examination you will find that Meenah's immense satisfaction over her storytelling abilities is actually the best part.

Olivia42 posted:

I wouldn't say it's that simple. Though I don't really know the specifics of this particular case, just that someone was trying to sell Nepeta hats, the border between fashion designs and copyrightable concepts is an interesting legal discussion, and I would have totally brought up this issue in class if it had arisen when I was taking IP law.

I'm not an expert, but the fact that these particular hats have orange candycorn horns and are being sold under the name Nepeta's Hat probably erodes a lot of possible protection. If they were just plain blue caps with cat faces sold as "cat face hats" they'd probably fly.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
As if we needed even more of a reason to think Meenah and Aranea are awesome, this happens. :allears:

Also, going "Full Serket".

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Poor Karkat, got to miss out on being Troll Jebus. I wonder who's going to tell him.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bobulus posted:

- I hope we learn something here about the Condesce that we didn't until now!
Even if we don't, the reaction from everyone present about how terrible she'll be to EVERYONE will be a treat.

edit: the next thing sold on tumblr will be stickers of Dave Strider pissing on a Ford logo.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 1, 2012

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
This pun pile is a thing of beauty. How long can Hussie keep it up? :allears:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Bell_ posted:

edit: the next thing sold on tumblr will be stickers of Dave Strider pissing on a Ford logo.

Never realized I needed one of these until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

- Red shoes
- Blue body
- spikey hair

Aranea's gotta go fast.