Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There is no licensing associated with 10.6, so there is nothing physically stopping you from using one 10.6 retail disc to install one, two, or a hundred computers; Only a legal/ethical barrier.

If you're just using it as a go-between between 10.5 and 10.7 then I wouldn't even worry about it, do one computer at a time and you'll be fine.

And I could just be making this up, but I believe that when you buy Lion on the MAS you're allowed to install it on two or three or four computers or something? I forgot the exact number.

I have two computers so I'm not sure how I'd go about buying it on the MAS for each one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think you can install Lion on however many computers. If you take the image out of the package you can use that to burn a disc/make a flash drive and use it like any other OS X install disc, while if you use the installer (or Internet recovery) you might have to enter your Apple ID.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I need to find and set up a macbook for my mum. I live in San Francisco and I can only afford to visit her once a year. She lives in England and is not at all technical so I'm hoping for suggestions on some applications to help me be able to fix any computer problems from here instead of dealing with them by phone. I'd essentially purchase it, set it up with her accounts and then mail it off to her.

pfdotn
Jan 12, 2011

bassguitarhero posted:

I need to find and set up a macbook for my mum. I live in San Francisco and I can only afford to visit her once a year. She lives in England and is not at all technical so I'm hoping for suggestions on some applications to help me be able to fix any computer problems from here instead of dealing with them by phone. I'd essentially purchase it, set it up with her accounts and then mail it off to her.

Remote Admin is built in to OS X and (assuming you've got the IP, relevant ports forwarded, etc) you can use it to log in to the computer over the Internet and remotely administer the machine.

Would that meet your needs?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
iChat is the best way to go. Once it's setup, you just tell your mom to open iChat and then send her a screen sharing request (which she'll see and click accept). It does audio chat while screen sharing so your mom can talk through what problem she encountered. It also does video chat and photo sharing, so essentially it's the best family communicator ever.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

wolffenstein posted:

iChat is the best way to go. Once it's setup, you just tell your mom to open iChat and then send her a screen sharing request (which she'll see and click accept). It does audio chat while screen sharing so your mom can talk through what problem she encountered. It also does video chat and photo sharing, so essentially it's the best family communicator ever.
Isn't iChat getting replaced by iMessage and FaceTime? Or are they staying separate products?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

bassguitarhero posted:

I use teamviewer on my mom's MacBook. She phones you, launches the app and gives you the userid/password it generates. No other configuration necessary. Free for personal use, though you get a nag screen at the end of every session.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Hm, that didn't seem to work.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
It might have something to do with FileVault, since when I restarted I got an [Update Needed] in place of my username on the grey screen. I'm trying something I read in the support forums. We'll see.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

FlashBangBob posted:

Isn't iChat getting replaced by iMessage and FaceTime? Or are they staying separate products?
I haven't tried it yet, but Messages is essentially iChat + iMessage + FaceTime. I'm not aware of any lost functionality.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You could also connect directly through Screen Sharing with Back to my Mac (aka using an Apple ID) if that's set up on her end and her router is configured/supports it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For all he built in stuff, I still prefer to just use my free LogMeIn account to control my macs remotely. There's no firewall headaches, it's fairly secure to the extent that you trust LogMeIn, and there's a handy iPad/iPhone app for it.

Which isn't to dismiss the built in stuff -- I've used screen sharing to fix my moms old Mac before, it's just that I find LogMeIn less of a question mark if omething goes wrong.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

bassguitarhero posted:

Teamviewer is one of the best remote desktop applications you will ever find. It's free to use non-commercially and it runs natively on macs.

https://www.teamviewer.com

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Martytoof posted:

There is no licensing associated with 10.6, so there is nothing physically stopping you from using one 10.6 retail disc to install one, two, or a hundred computers; Only a legal/ethical barrier.

If you're just using it as a go-between between 10.5 and 10.7 then I wouldn't even worry about it, do one computer at a time and you'll be fine.

And I could just be making this up, but I believe that when you buy Lion on the MAS you're allowed to install it on two or three or four computers or something? I forgot the exact number.

I have two computers so I'm not sure how I'd go about buying it on the MAS for each one anyway.

The license agreement says you're allowed to install your copy of Lion on every machine you own (No more family packs) as well as two copies in a virtual environment on every mac you own.

Surprisingly loose for Apple.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Fren posted:

So what do people use for "capturing" things? I mean like taking pieces of webpages and turning them into PDFs archived somewhere that can be tagged, capturing images and notes, etc. I've heard good things about Evernote and Yojimbo. Would prefer if nothing was shoved in some inscrutable application database, and I could always access the data even if I were to stop using the application.

I capture webpages via pdf (Protip: http://www.macsparky.com/blog/2008/3/19/keyboard-shortcut-for-save-as-pdf-in-os-x.html), take notes in NVAlt, and save everything to a Dropbox folder. Then I have DevonThink periodically index that folder; its power search features are excellent, especially if you do any sort of research. DevonThink might be overkill, but I appreciate how I can use its database-like features while still keeping my PDFs and notes in standard folders.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

The license agreement says you're allowed to install your copy of Lion on every machine you own (No more family packs) as well as two copies in a virtual environment on every mac you own.

I think this was partly forced by the fact that apple can't really control distribution on the MAS. You bought it once, they can't really stop you from downloading it at your leisure on other Macs.

Not that you'll hear me complaining.

Though I mean apple never really seemed to care about enforcing their install limits so maybe they decided to just go with the flow and say "eh, whatever" rather than implement the above, or some install-time check. I guess if they really wanted to they could have implemented some sort of iTunes like computer limit for your AppleID.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Is there a free alternative to Camouflage? I am not opposed to supporting developers, especially of niche apps like this, but its worth an ask before shelling out $6.

For those unaware, Camouflage simply hides/shows icons on the desktop when its double clicked, similar to a feature in Fences for Windows.

I've tried the basic version of http://foggynoggin.com/desktopple/basic, which is pretty cool and kinda does what I want. However, Desktopple ends up replacing the desktop background with an image of your choosing as it hides the icons. It's silly, but I really just want it to hide my icons and keep my desktop the same.

edit: A little update: I would be able to stomach Desktopple if it weren't for a small thing: You can't change focus to Finder by clicking the desktop..that's basic OSX behavior that they completely forgot about / isn't in the Basic(free) version.

decypher fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 30, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Experto Crede posted:

The only thing you can't do is give your installer to someone else to use because it contains an App Store receipt. If someone else tries to use the installer they'd need your iTunes password.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm working on a dual-monitor machine of my employer's (dual identical Apple displays), and when I load up display preferences, brightness only appears on the first monitor. How can I adjust the brightness of the second monitor?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

What do you guys use for MSN messaging?

I'm currently using Adium 1.5 but it has weird problems with web messenger users. aMSN looks like poo poo and doesn't work properly, Emesene is pretty raw and the official MS client feels like it's from 2008 and doesn't display received messages.

I just want something I don't have to restart every 5 minutes to get new messages and some are still lost in the great void.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I've just been using Trillian since it syncs message history between OSX, Windows, and iOS. That might be a feature of pro though which is something like $15/year iirc.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Baram posted:

I've just been using Trillian since it syncs message history between OSX, Windows, and iOS. That might be a feature of pro though which is something like $15/year iirc.

I also use Trillian which seems to be a jewel in a huge pile of IM program garbage since v 5. Though I admittedly got grandfathered into a pro account. The big draw is that it's history/state is shared between devices which includes your phone if you want it.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm working on a dual-monitor machine of my employer's (dual identical Apple displays), and when I load up display preferences, brightness only appears on the first monitor. How can I adjust the brightness of the second monitor?

Make sure the USB from the second monitor is plugged in (if it's MDP). When it is, there should be a brightness control in the display preference window that appears on the second monitor.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

ZShakespeare posted:

I also use Trillian which seems to be a jewel in a huge pile of IM program garbage since v 5. Though I admittedly got grandfathered into a pro account. The big draw is that it's history/state is shared between devices which includes your phone if you want it.

I am also still on the Trillian train thanks to that. It would be well worth $15/year, but the Mac and iOS clients are both pretty basic, to put it kindly. Still, nothing else does what it does. Perhaps there is hope, too:

http://blog.trillian.im/?p=2417 posted:

Trillian for Mac. Version 1.3 is currently in Apple’s review queue and contains more bugfixes and a few minor features. Right now it’s looking like we may synchronize the Mac group chat build with a corresponding update on the Windows side, but we’ll see how the timing plays out on that one.

Trillian for iPhone. A large update is coming this year with a refreshed user interface and some other cool features, some of which rely on the server upgrades we mentioned above. Want a sneak peek and like testing beta builds? Get in touch!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I'm currently using Adium 1.5 but it has weird problems with web messenger users. aMSN looks like poo poo and doesn't work properly, Emesene is pretty raw and the official MS client feels like it's from 2008 and doesn't display received messages.

I just want something I don't have to restart every 5 minutes to get new messages and some are still lost in the great void.

There aren't really any good MSN clients on OS X, even the official app.

That said, I still like Adium, even if development has slowed to a crawl.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Terpfen posted:

There aren't really any good MSN clients on OS X, even the official app.

That said, I still like Adium, even if development has slowed to a crawl.

I like using Adium and I think it could be great, but when I opened up my Mac it displayed 13 messages that had been sent last evening and I didn't get, two of them where 'Hi..-s' so now people think I don't want to talk to them :(

I mean MSN chat is still a pretty big thing, isn't it?

I'm going to try Trillian later.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm trying to use my PS3 controller on my wife's MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I can get it to show up in the bluetooth menu and have downloaded Enjoy to map the buttons to keyboard functions for use in games. Despite the controller being recognized I can't push any buttons on it. The four lights on the top of the controller continue flashing.

How do I get this thing working?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm trying to use my PS3 controller on my wife's MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I can get it to show up in the bluetooth menu and have downloaded Enjoy to map the buttons to keyboard functions for use in games. Despite the controller being recognized I can't push any buttons on it. The four lights on the top of the controller continue flashing.

How do I get this thing working?
I got mine to work by simply connecting them via USB the first time (same as you would when tying it to the PS3 the first time you took it out of the package). After that, I could just turn the controller on and have it connect automagically to the Mac.

No idea whether Enjoy alters this process any…

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Enjoy shouldn't alter the process any. It's just a program that maps controller button presses to keys for programs that don't have a controller scheme built in.

edit: As a bluetooth device, it's paired just fine. When I disconnect it via the mac's bluetooth menu I can reconnect it by just pressing the home button same as you. I just can't seem to get the other buttons working.

Edit 2: Hhhmmm. I went out and downloaded the HID Calibrator code to test the controller, all the buttons and even the SixAxis are functioning just fine. I guess I just need to find a better keymap program.

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 31, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I gave my PPC mac mini to a distant family member. Today I visited her as she was having trouble with something.

While there I notice that she runs every app on it by opening the dmgs on her desktop then running the app from in there. Every app. For the five or so years since I'd given her it. Not only that, but she was even running apps from in a dmg that tell you to drag it to the Apps folder.

:suicide:

But seriously, I assume some of us did that for a brief period when we first got macs, before we realised we didn't need to/having a load of dmgs open was just a stupid system. But five years?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest way to switch the default language in large group of mkv files (all the languages need to switch from Spanish to English. Alternatively I'd be fine with just removing the spanish language track entirely as I included it by mistake.)?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the easiest way to switch the default language in large group of mkv files (all the languages need to switch from Spanish to English. Alternatively I'd be fine with just removing the spanish language track entirely as I included it by mistake.)?

This should help

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

This worked perfectly (and way easier than anticipated), thanks a bunch!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I like using Adium and I think it could be great, but when I opened up my Mac it displayed 13 messages that had been sent last evening and I didn't get, two of them where 'Hi..-s' so now people think I don't want to talk to them :(

I mean MSN chat is still a pretty big thing, isn't it?

I'm going to try Trillian later.
I've been using Cocoon, which is a plugin for iChat that allows it to connect to MSN. Seems to work fine with both iChat and the Messages beta.

I have to say, I actually really like the Messages beta. It works well with Facebook/MSN (with the plugin) and you can send/receive iMessages to other iOS/Messages users from the same place. It's also got a nicer interface than iChat (in my opinion, anyway).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

My friends 8yos answer to the apple security question in itunes "Where where you 1 January 2000";- "Heaven". :3:

duck monster fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 1, 2012

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Has anyone gotten Windows 8 RP x64 to boot successfully in VMWare Fusion? I just get an infinite loading throbber.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

duck monster posted:

My friends 8yos answer to the apple security question in itunes "Where where you 1 January 2000";- "Heaven". :3:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible security question, since this is something most people in your circle of friends would likely be able to answer?

EDIT: Whoops, the rest of this post was originally for another thread. Pulled.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 1, 2012

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

univbee posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible security question, since this is something most people in your circle of friends would likely be able to answer?

EDIT: Whoops, the rest of this post was originally for another thread. Pulled.
Which is why I use 1Password to generate and save the question answers. Security questions are a joke, but if the company/service requires them, then why not just fill it with several more passwords?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Experto Crede posted:

While there I notice that she runs every app on it by opening the dmgs on her desktop then running the app from in there.

Exhibit A of "This is why we have the App Store."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Sometimes OS X impresses me with such simple things. I bought a new APC UPS for my iMac, and I plugged in the USB cable, thinking I would probably have to get crappy software from APC in order to make it work in OS X, but when I opened System Preferences and went to Energy Saver settings on a lark I was pleasantly surprised at this: