Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm pretty sure that PFT admitted that he spent an unreasonable amount of time being upset that he lost in the ToC

Him and Scott talked about it at one point on CBB I think. It wasn't just being angry at losing. It was being angry at how Samm Levine won it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Boy I sure am glad I don't care about the LMG as much as some of you.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Scott Aukerman's anger is feigned while Levine's is legit I think. I dont think Auk has ever been serious in his entire life.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Boy I sure am glad I don't care about the LMG as much as Samm Levin.

Fixed that for you.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, nice and relaxed were bad words. More like 'likeable'. Like the episode he put his Tournament of Championships seat on the line: it was fun, entertaining and super-competitive in a good way.

This I would definitely agree with. I think he's just as competitive as Samm, but I can't see Aukerman being a douche about the rules or anything.

Edit: Also, are you Scott Aukerman? Because you're awesome.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jummy posted:

Edit: Also, are you Scott Aukerman? Because you're awesome.

No, but I'd kill to be able to sing and dance to "Wipeout" as well as he does.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Today's free ep is nearly unlistenable because the quality is so bad. there is one amazing LMG pull though

Also Sean Cullen is terrible and I'm glad he got the gently caress out of Canada

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

Also Sean Cullen is terrible and I'm glad he got the gently caress out of Canada

what.

WHAT.

WHAT.

I wish I didn't know you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sequels, Samm Levine is a Shithead - the Doug Loves Movies Thread

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I used to enjoy Cullen's comedy but his motormouth thing is really, really annoying

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I can still go back and listen to the early Cullen/Tompkins episode and laugh at their Leonard Maltin song. His story in a later episode about that UK talk show host who shows his balls is really funny too. I like him.

I didn't think the quality was too bad in the episode, either. I wish we would've heard the first twenty minutes or whatever, but it was fine.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Wait, why is everyone posting about the latest mini ep without posting the big news?

T.J. Miller, Pete Holmes and Jeff Garlin episode plopping June 19th

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

plastered quack posted:

Wait, why is everyone posting about the latest mini ep without posting the big news?

That's actually happening? Oh god yes

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

plastered quack posted:

I hope Doug leaves after introducing the three of them.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

plastered quack posted:

OH MY loving GOD

That's going to be amazing. And very, very loud.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

plastered quack posted:

Gonna own, but Pete better get high again!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

-Atom- posted:

I hope Doug leaves after introducing the three of them.

How would you be able to tell?

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Huh, apparently Zanies screwed up the first 20 minutes of Doug's recording for the premium ep he's been plugging lately, so he decided to release it for free with a recap of what went missing in the first few minutes. Guests are Graham Elwood, audience winner Christa Martin, and everyone's favorite Sean Cullen.

Always nice to get a free episode out of the blue like this.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's a pretty crazy ep, sometimes too far but othertimes hilarious. I loved the song at the end.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

plastered quack posted:

I'm a bit behind, did they record this one already?

DENVER! YEAH!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Thought of a fun twist on the alphabet game. Take a Scrabble bag and fill it with one of each letter tile. Doug pulls a letter, someone has to name a movie, and sets it aside. That way you're not figuring out a title while everyone ahead of you is bantering and joking, and the game would be a lot shorter and more dynamic.

Additional twist: play it where you can name any movie except for action flicks, or except for comedies, etc. (Doug did something like this when he jokingly said they could only name foreign films.) I think it's probably more fun to play that game than to listen to it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

benito posted:

Additional twist: play it where you can name any movie except for action flicks, or except for comedies, etc. (Doug did something like this when he jokingly said they could only name foreign films.) I think it's probably more fun to play that game than to listen to it.

Yeah he was joking but I think it'd make the game much better if he put some sort of condition on the movie titles. Right now it's pretty boring to listen to.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah he was joking but I think it'd make the game much better if he put some sort of condition on the movie titles. Right now it's pretty boring to listen to.

I just don't see how he can think it's a good idea. Say you're playing with three other people and your first letter is D, it'd be pretty easy to just think of movies that start with H, L, P, T, Z, etc. quick and remember them.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I honestly think that would be too complicated for our favourite stoner

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Blackula69 posted:

I honestly think that would be too complicated for our favourite stoner

I think the Scrabble bag makes it easier for both the host and the guests. Nobody has to keep track of where they are after somebody goes off on a five minute riff.

As for the restrictions, you could throw in something like "No movies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger", and then everyone is thinking about Arnie and having to work a little harder. Also, throw out XYZ. There are so few movies that anyone will recognize and it's easy to memorize them.

benito fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 1, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

They should just throw it out, extend the banter and stick to Len Maltin.

Or, if he wants a smaller game in there, go back to the Build-a-Title. At least it's a little tougher and more interesting for the audience because players can talk it out and joke around. And sometimes it's actually exciting and impressive when someone thinks of a title.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Bah, shortened game, I wanted Candace to play some. The audio probs are going to drive Doug crazy.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Eltoasto posted:

Bah, shortened game, I wanted Candace to play some. The audio probs are going to drive Doug crazy.

Yeah, especially if they keep making him have to turn $2 premium eps into normal free eps like with the Sean Cullen one.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Good thing there was only one round of Len Maltin so Sean Cullen could do multiple-minute long mediocre riffs a whole bunch while everyone else stayed completely silent

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The discussion segment has been getting longer and less entertaining for a while now.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's too bad that Doug has adopted a stance where either Build-a-Title or ABCDeezNuts (or both) has to be played every episode. LMG is the cornerstone of the show as far as I'm concerned, but more and more we're only getting single rounds of it. The other games are not only less fun for a listener, but less conducive for comedy. I don't mind the pre-games discussion being longer (unless the guests are terrible, it's enjoyable) but the non-LMG games are usually just wasted time.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I think Doug is wanting to not be defined by the LMG so is making it a smaller part of the program. Unfortunately thus far he hasn't been able to replace it with anything entertaining.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It has been on a bit of a slump lately, but I'm not sure the mini games are at fault. They only play them for 5-10 minutes an episode usually. I think it's more that the guests haven't been as good lately. Not that there aren't good guests on most episodes, but there's usually one of them is insufferable for some reason and sucks all the funny out of it.

Luckily we have the infamous TJ Miller, Pete Holes, Jeff Garlin episode to look forward to soon :woop:

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Went to go see DLM live in NYC last night. It was slightly disappointing. Doug was pretty funny but the panel was just kind of lackluster & scatterbrained. Worst build-a-title in the history of build-a-title. The guy who won was so high that he was basically a statue for a lot of the show and repeated talking points well after they'd been talked about. There were some great moments but man... Jim Gaffigan was a good guest... I don't know...

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

King Lou posted:

Went to go see DLM live in NYC last night. It was slightly disappointing. Doug was pretty funny but the panel was just kind of lackluster & scatterbrained. Worst build-a-title in the history of build-a-title. The guy who won was so high that he was basically a statue for a lot of the show and repeated talking points well after they'd been talked about. There were some great moments but man... Jim Gaffigan was a good guest... I don't know...

Well that blows, sorry to hear it. :(

If Doug is doing shows in NYC, he's probably not recording his podcast at UCB tonight. I'm guessing Friday's podcast will be a recording of the show Lou went to, unless Doug does another show and has guests equal to Jim Gaffigan.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I felt bad for the 4th guest. The guy on the end chair was really kind of pigeon holed into talking about a couple of weird things that no one was relating to. James Adomian was out of sorts. His imitations (Nick Nolte, Gary Busy) all slipping into Jesse the Mind Ventura. Doug totally lost track of the games. Ending build a title early even thought the audience was like "No! Gaffigan didn't win the other guys has a turn!" but Doug was like "What are you saying? Shut up!" in his lovable dickish way.

Don't get me wrong. The show was fun but after listening for 2 years to amazing shows I was slightly let down but the panel but its always going to be a crap shoot.

Doug is coming back to do DLM again at the Gramercy in like 3 weeks (July 2nd). I would go back.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

King Lou posted:

I felt bad for the 4th guest. The guy on the end chair was really kind of pigeon holed into talking about a couple of weird things that no one was relating to. James Adomian was out of sorts. His imitations (Nick Nolte, Gary Busy) all slipping into Jesse the Mind Ventura. Doug totally lost track of the games. Ending build a title early even thought the audience was like "No! Gaffigan didn't win the other guys has a turn!" but Doug was like "What are you saying? Shut up!" in his lovable dickish way.

Don't get me wrong. The show was fun but after listening for 2 years to amazing shows I was slightly let down but the panel but its always going to be a crap shoot.

Doug is coming back to do DLM again at the Gramercy in like 3 weeks (July 2nd). I would go back.

I was also at this taping and was disappointed. Honestly one of the worst episodes I've listened to but the show hasn't been as good overall lately. The guests didnt understand the rules to the games making the games very short and anticlimatic. Someone yelled out answers during Build-A-Title. I was happy to see James Adomian and Jim Gaffigan though. I was also embrassed for the 4th guest at times. Some of the people who beat Graham Ellwood on the road at LMG to win guest spots have been better guests than that guy. The best part was when Jim Gaffigan poured Rice Krispies on the front row. (I'd spoiler that but I'm sure it was only funny seeing it in person). I'm still excited to see the show again in a few weeks.

Kymera fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 13, 2012

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

King Lou posted:

Went to go see DLM live in NYC last night. It was slightly disappointing.

Awwww, he thought you were great!

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
New boner ep plopped today. Live at NYC with Jim Gaffigan, James Adomian, Rob Cantrell and Dave Juskow. Considering the guest list, this might be the show King Lou went to. I haven't heard much of it yet, but so far all I can say is Gaffigan needs to quit talking over everyone. I'll write more when I can finish it, probably tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Also a new Benson Interruption with Jonah Ray, Rob Huebel, Graham Elwood, Matt Mira, Chelsea Peretti and Paul Scheer.

Haven't bought it yet since I still haven't finished the NYC DLM, but I think Jonah Ray is the co-interrupter.

• Locked thread