Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, similar to a 4H market project. If you are going to raise dogs for meat, why not give them an awesome puppyhood with a kid first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

TVs Ian posted:

Why aren't all your pets in jumpers? All the time? This is important.

Because they would all try to eat them off each other at once.

Eddie was the closest and most compliant pet, so here are some photos of a cat demonstrating learned helplessness.

For those playing at home, Chloe is around 5-6 weeks and probably an amstaff. She's a rescue that my friend can't part with. :3:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That expression :3: Something between confusion, anger, and general apathy. The face only a cat can make.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

notsoape posted:

On the one hand, it seems a little unfair to the dogs - especially if they're perfectly good pets, and bonded to you already. On the other hand, if you're committed to a particular sport it makes sense that you wouldn't want to keep a third wheel hanging around - especially if the sport/hobby takes up most of your free time, and a non-competitive dog would end up being comparatively neglected. I guess I can see both sides, but I'm wondering how PI feels about it?
Commenting from two pages back, hope no one minds. I just wanted to say something since this is very topical to me at the moment as I just confirmed my reservation for a bc puppy (yay! I should get to bring him home in September if all goes well.)

I'm getting a third dog in part because Pi isn't and will never be competitive in agility and he's too old to become my SAR dog. I could train him to become one, but he'd have too few working years left. It's becoming increasingly clear that Rho is developing sound phobia, so likely no SAR career for him either. Pi is six years old already and as he's not really built for agility, I'm probably going to have to retire him from competition around the time the pup should be ready to start going to trials. I spend pretty much all my free time (=when I'm not sleeping or at work) with the dogs training or exercising them. I would like to train more intensively than what my current dogs can take (they'll get demotivated or bored), so I'm moving up a notch and switching to a breed where most dogs are more intense and energetic than the average Lapponian.

I have not and will not consider giving up my previous dogs to make room for more dogs. I'll keep training Pi and Rho and going to trials with them at a level they're comfortable with. In my current living situation three dogs is the maximum I think I can handle, so if the pup won't fill my agility dreams, then so be it. At least I'll have another dog to take up space on the couch. Despite hoping to be competitive in my chosen sport, my dogs are pets first, sport dogs second. I know some dog sport people who will "recycle" dogs that don't meet their expectations, but these are few and far between. As a general rule, that kind of practice is heavily frowned upon. Then again it seems to be just fine if a breeder does it, so go figure.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Husker's neutrophils are finally above the threshhold for him to have another chemo treatment, but they're still lower than the vet would like. It's been six weeks since his first round.

My husband and I are discussing whether or not to continue the treatment after today's dose. There's no signs that the cancer spread beyond the amputated leg, and taking him in every week for bloodwork is starting to be problematic - both from a cost standpoint and because of work issues.

I think we're probably going to stop the chemo, and just be vigilant about any symptoms that might indicate that the cancer has recurred.

:(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RazorBunny posted:

I think we're probably going to stop the chemo, and just be vigilant about any symptoms that might indicate that the cancer has recurred.

That seems like a completely sensible course of action.

If the tumor already was metastatic before the amputation isn't canine chemo for osteosarcoma palliative in nature? I mean if you are having to take him to the vet on a weekly basis to get blood drawn (which I'm sure he isn't exactly a fan of), plus the chemo round and a week or more of recovery each time... you have to ask if it would just be a more enjoyable use of time (and money too of course) to take his half-butt out to chase furry things instead.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Husker's neutrophils are finally above the threshhold for him to have another chemo treatment, but they're still lower than the vet would like. It's been six weeks since his first round.

My husband and I are discussing whether or not to continue the treatment after today's dose. There's no signs that the cancer spread beyond the amputated leg, and taking him in every week for bloodwork is starting to be problematic - both from a cost standpoint and because of work issues.

If there's no signs of cancer, here's hoping that none pop up.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

That seems like a completely sensible course of action.

If the tumor already was metastatic before the amputation isn't canine chemo for osteosarcoma palliative in nature? I mean if you are having to take him to the vet on a weekly basis to get blood drawn (which I'm sure he isn't exactly a fan of), plus the chemo round and a week or more of recovery each time... you have to ask if it would just be a more enjoyable use of time (and money too of course) to take his half-butt out to chase furry things instead.

Thankfully there was no sign of metastasis before the surgery, the chemo is just precautionary.

Fingers crossed he won't have another tumor, but osteo has a high rate of relapse.

If he has a recurrence I don't think we'll go for palliative chemo. He obviously doesn't tolerate the carboplatin well. He didn't have any sickness after the first dose, but he was supposed to have a second after three weeks and his numbers still aren't back to normal after six. The drugs they can give us to boost his neutrophils are expensive and have side effects. And he does get stressed out going to the vet all the time.

Right now what I'm thinking is that if the cancer comes back, we'll go straight into an end-of-life care scenario rather than attempt more surgery and chemotherapy. Load him up on pain medicine if there's pain, keep an eye on his quality of life, and let him go before it gets bad. Hopefully that's something I won't have to contemplate too closely for a long time, but realistically I know there's a good chance he won't make it to 12 or 14 like some of the other greyhounds we know.

I don't know if I remembered to tell you guys, but he was able to jump up in the back of my car all by himself on Sunday, for the first time in quite a while - even before the amputation, his leg was hurting and we had to help him up. But we went over to a friend's house on Sunday and when I said "Let's go see all your friends!" he took a running start and made a clean jump up into the back :unsmith:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Kudos for all you've done for him so far :unsmith:. I never judge people for not opting for expensive surgeries and treatments if they can't afford it, but I have a lot of respect and admiration for those who do go the extra mile for their dogs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm with notsoape. You've been awesome to him so far, but there's a point when it's best not to draw things out unnecessarily. I think your current plan is fine.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Gonna agree as well. But I'd like to add one thing, that I believe is VERY important. There's been a serious lack of Husker pictures lately. Please fix that, Tia. :colbert:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

All he does is lay there, it doesn't make for very interesting photos ;)

But here is a video my husband took of Husker freaking out over the Purple Panda video that's been making the rounds.

This is totally staged, by the way - hubby was watching the video in the kitchen and Husker started howling when the kids started screaming, so he wanted to see if he would do it again.

When this was over Husker came and found me and gave me his "Daddy is a bad man" face.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

All he does is lay there, it doesn't make for very interesting photos ;)

But here is a video my husband took of Husker freaking out over the Purple Panda video that's been making the rounds.

This is totally staged, by the way - hubby was watching the video in the kitchen and Husker started howling when the kids started screaming, so he wanted to see if he would do it again.

When this was over Husker came and found me and gave me his "Daddy is a bad man" face.

haha, Husker is so cute :3:

His noises made Feldman sit up and stare around, trying to find the other dog.

edit: I see his fur is growing back nicely!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

haha, Husker is so cute :3:

His noises made Feldman sit up and stare around, trying to find the other dog.

edit: I see his fur is growing back nicely!

Yep, he's got lots of new fuzz now. The weirdest part is that they had to fold some of the skin from the top of his hip/outside of his leg inward toward his crotch, so now he has a weird line where there's lots of fur and then almost no fur, because his belly and groin area are pretty hairless even without shaving. It totally doesn't match the rest of the area.

Also, he's learned that the sound of the pill bottle means he's going to get a treat, so I can't even take an Advil without him being right on top of me :rolleyes:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

RazorBunny posted:

I feel you on this. My ferret's insulinoma got so bad it was basically a choice between surgery or putting him down. I opted for surgery then, even knowing that the tumors will grow back. He won't have surgery again, and when his symptoms start to come back he'll only be on meds as long as they can keep him happy and comfortable, but no longer than that. You can treat and treat and treat and treat, but a miserable life spent in and out of the vet's office constantly is no life at all. You guys have done really great by Husker, he's a lucky dawg. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22857203

I want that dooooog... :qq:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Doesn't Shadow need a friend?

She's lovely, and sable :swoon:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She's like Shadow's prick-eared twin, structurally, with a more shepherd face. But she doesn't do well with cats and it'll be a while before I'm ready for another dog. :saddowns:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Rats doin' rat things~

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

For anyone in the UK, zooplus is having a 60% off everything sale because of the jubilee weekend. If you've been eyeing anything up on there, now is the time to get it! There is a whole section for the Jubilee Weekend Specials here.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 1, 2012

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.
Saw my first alpha roll ever yesterday. Onto a tiny miniature schnauzer pup called Izzy by her owners sister who owns a hungarian vizsla. (sp?) Izzy was biting my ugg boots as we were walking, which of course was becoming very annoying and I was lifting her off and saying no, when the lady comes over and pins her down and says NO Izzy! LEAVE IT! and I felt totally weirded out when seeing her do it. I've never seen anyone do it before, and I didn't like it :(

However, it was a pretty nice afternoon after a rainy morning, and it happened on our trip to the playing fields next to the river. We met five other doggy pals and it was lots of fun with chasing and playing (minus the above incident).

This is Mike the golden retriver, Izzy the schnauzer, Mirren the hungarian viszla, campbell, and Sandy. Is Sandy a GSD?! He looked kind of like he was to me, but his coat is very short? I've not met very many, and the ones I have have been long coated?

And Sandy and Campbell in the little stream we found.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

tiddlez posted:

Is Sandy a GSD?! He looked kind of like he was to me, but his coat is very short? I've not met very many, and the ones I have have been long coated?

It's really hard to tell from the picture, maybe a mix? And I'm hoping it's the odd pictures, but he wasn't shaved down, was he??

Rixatrix posted:

Commenting from two pages back, hope no one minds. I just wanted to say something since this is very topical to me at the moment as I just confirmed my reservation for a bc puppy (yay! I should get to bring him home in September if all goes well.)

Congrats on the upcoming puppy!! :D

Since you brought it up again, I might as well go more in to what I think. Like I said, I can see why people give up dogs like that, but I'd only condone it in certain situations. If a person specifically picks a puppy with high level sport goals or for a certain job and the dog washes out, obviously to achieve said goals you would need a new dog. If you are at your limit for what you can take in, I can see rehoming a dog. It would have to really be a situation where the home just isn't able to keep "just a pet". I can see it even more with breeders because you aren't going to breed a dog that doesn't live up to your standards and you have the resources to find it a great home so you have room for another dog to expand your breeding pool. Yeah, it sucks to think of dogs that way, but I think you go in to a situation like that knowing the dog might not make the cut. v :shobon: v

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 1, 2012

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.

WolfensteinBag posted:

It's really hard to tell from the picture, maybe a mix? And I'm hoping it's the odd pictures, but he wasn't shaved down, was he??

Nope, definitely hasn't been shaved. he's only 6/7 months old so I figured maybe it's just not grown in yet? He is a really handsome pup, the man said he had one the exact same many years ago. If i see him again today I'll get a wee photo of him from the front. He's generally to excited to stand still!

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVW7Ckr4W3I

I'm fighting the urge to plaster this on the wall of every puppymill facebook page

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Asstro Van posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVW7Ckr4W3I

I'm fighting the urge to plaster this on the wall of every puppymill facebook page

The first part of the message is good, but uninformed idiots are going to think it's guaranteeing a shelter dog is going to be free of those ailments when that drat shelter dog might be a puppymill puppy too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Nibbler must really miss our son - first he started snuggling with my husband, and now he's in my lap purring like mad. Any port in a storm, I guess.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Apparently Balen playing with Ires and Kaydee involves him screaming in the girliest voice possible and flailing his head around while they try to kiss him and his tail beats things off the coffee table.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Apparently Balen playing with Ires and Kaydee involves him screaming in the girliest voice possible and flailing his head around while they try to kiss him and his tail beats things off the coffee table.

I don't believe you.:colbert: Where is the photographic proof? (How big do you expect Ires to get?)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AcetylCoA! posted:

I don't believe you.:colbert: Where is the photographic proof? (How big do you expect Ires to get?)

The vets figure around 40 pounds, but pudgy wigglepuppy was 33 the last time we had her in. I imagine she'll end up being around 45-50. Her legs shot up a couple of inches. They're actual legs now instead of round puppy toddle.. things.

And I tried to get a camera! I had a giant coughing fit and it sucked and :smith: I'll get it next time it happens if my dumb lungs will cooperate.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, the pest control guy is here, so hopefully no more ants in the rat cage after today. He thinks they're using my grape vines as a way into the house - I pulled them all back away from the wall, they were touching the brick before.

And of course I thought they were coming later in the day, so I'm still in my pajamas :rolleyes:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

You guys like pictures of bat-eared mice, right? :haw:

I can finally tell the little shits apart. It's only taken nearly a year. I guess that's what happens when you get mice bred to show standard :v:

Flower (scowly, thin tail)

Tosca (wiggly/bumpy tail)

Mozart (faaaat tail)

Kinkajou (kinked tail)

Anddddd Wheatley!

I also learned that putting the mice close to my lamp makes for awesome photos (the Wheatley ones), buuut it upsets them. I got pee everywhere :saddowns:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

^ Lookit them ears :3:

Pi can't handle the summer too well, being a Nordic breed and a black dog to boot. This year I decided to get him a summer do!

Summer Pi

Regular Pi

His fur feels like velvet now and he seems to be enjoying his new look. After we got home from the groomer's he's been very energetic and playful. I really hope this helps him cope with the summer heat a bit better. (It only rarely gets above 25C here, iirc on average there are 10 days in a year when it's 25C or more, but even 15C and sunny is a bit too much for Pi.)

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Are you loathsome tonight?
So my dog looks like Captain America.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

At least you have the easiest halloween costume ever to pull off.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He's so handsome :allears: Some variety of spaniel?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

No he's just a kid from Brooklyn.

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Are you loathsome tonight?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

At least you have the easiest halloween costume ever to pull off.

She also does mohawk, Hitler, 90s boyband member, mad scientist and emo kid. That goofy topknot is the best thing ever. :3:

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She's a springer/cocker mix and thus a complete lunatic.

liwet fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 2, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Rixatrix posted:

Summer Pi

:argh:

vvvvvv That's all I'm saying, I'm being good. :colbert:

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

I was waiting for this :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I was waiting for it too. :ohdear: Anyway...

This gorgeous dog is Nona. I see her in the park sometimes and I am going to steal her because her owner, despite being a very nice fellow, exercises her by letting her out of the truck (with no collar) and making her run after the truck around the road in the park. :(

• Locked thread