Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

Spada lake. More roads were open today than when I ventured up last time. I stupidly got stuck for a half hour or so... PR2s aren't good in soft wet stuff.

Also, best bike ever = buell Ulysses, right? RIGHT?
You haven't been following they motorcycle flamewars thread. I rode my hyper aggressive torque monster up Sultan Basin last week. There's a lot of gravel on the paved part, I got hit in the tooth by a piece that Spiffness threw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have you done Kellogg lake road? I wanted to but I was way over my lunch break after burying my tire in mud.

motox
Aug 27, 2004

Here is the yz250f which my username came from:

The 2001 R6 which is now just a wheel-less frame sitting in the garage:

And the new (to me) 2008 ZX6r:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I bought a thing today!

2002 Honda 919 with 15Ks miles on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB900F I had never even heard of this bike until a couple weeks ago, and fell in love with it. So gay for Honda's.

Album with one fat finger. I was sweating like crazy doing some slow speed drills in my little play area.http://imgur.com/a/dDhGA#7DNcG

I love it. Bike is much more comfortable. I rode the Ninja 250 70 miles and traded it in. I know I will get harped on about trading it in so soon, but after 2000 miles on it I hated that thing. I was never comfortable on it for more than about 30 minutes of riding, and that's halfway to any road with a bend in it. It was just not enjoyable for the sort of riding my area of Florida offers, and I do. It served it's purpose to get me comfortable on a bike though.

The 919 has about ~95hp and ~65 ft lbs of torque depending on who tested it. More than a SV650 less than a street triple, somewhere around there. Totally manageable. Feels much lighter than my CB550 even though it's 485 pounds wet. Doesn't feel heavy at all to me, but what do I know. Maybe it's the handlebars. Dual front breaks are great. Only things I don't care for is the windscreen putting air in the wrong place for me. The grips are kinda lovely. The mirrors are pretty awful, looks like Tuono mirrors will work. Want to keep the bar end weights.

I'm an older guy and I think I can be responsible with it and take it slow. I have no delusions of racing, just cruising the country roads. The ride back was a blast, and I can't wait to head back out tomorrow. Sorry for the rambling post, I'm a bit excited!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nice buy. I test rode one and it was a pig at any speed less than 20, but after talking to people I think that was a problem with that specific bike. At >100hp and 65 ft-lbs it should be a pretty level torque early on, lots of fun.

I remember you getting the 250 at the beginning of the season so 2 months or so is a little short, but honestly if you put 2000 miles on it you used it for it's purpose. The more I ride little bieks the more comfortable I feel on bigger ones, but if you got that then move on. I don't think you'll have many people giving you trouble.

ed: naked stressed member 4 cylinder bros :hfive:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 27, 2012

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

_MG_0655 by Arvid Storli, on Flickr

Bought this 2008 Hornet in the middle of april and have already done more than 2500 km on it, great bike :)

Took this picture on a ride a few days ago after adding the red rim stripes.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Arvid posted:

_MG_0655 by Arvid Storli, on Flickr

Bought this 2008 Hornet in the middle of april and have already done more than 2500 km on it, great bike :)

Took this picture on a ride a few days ago after adding the red rim stripes.

Nice Hornet! I had an identical one until 2010.

I found the Honda flyscreen surprisingly effective - also good for not having your expensive clocks thwacked by a flying stone.

For touring, Givi do one that's wider and slightly taller than stock. One of the German manufacturers does a really tall one, but I don't recall the name - think they're on most European e-bays.

I also crash-tested the R&G crash mushrooms that Honda sells as factory accessories when someone turned right into my leg and knocked the bike flying. Definitely worth the investment - only damage on that side was the crash mushroom and bracket itself and a bent set of bars.

Anyway, content:

Basically a stock '04 Tuono R - just an Akra race can which came with the bike (now on the factory race map), a set of carbon coil covers (one of the original ones was bent from a PO dropping the bike) and a double-bubble screen that I crimped the original screen trim back onto.

I've also retrofitted the little heat shield that the mk 2 Tuono had fitted between the rear brake master cylinder and the engine. I think it probably does gently caress all. Tuonos and RSVs suffer badly from the placement of the master cylinder about 5mm away from the engine, which basically cooks the fluid nicely for you so your rear brake doesn't work. Only permanent fix is to spend a poo poo-ton on aftermarket rearsets that move the m/c to the "normal" location.

I've also swapped to a YTX14 battery for more juice than the stock YTX12 (bad and expensive things supposedly happen to these bikes if you run them on an old YTX12)

Currently using a BT016 Pro front and an BT023 rear.

It's a beast, and perfect for my commute, which is mostly on rural roads too slow and poorly surfaced to use a faired sportsbike on. On the crappy bits you can entertain yourself wheelieing off everything (handy in the depths of winter when you aren't going to be cornering hard anyway), then on the nice roundabouts near the end of my commute, you have the benefit of the full RSV Mille chassis.

Only things I don't like are the atrocious fuel economy away from motorways (less than 30mpg on the commute if the weather's good!) and the absolute havoc the motor wreaks on rear tyres. I now know why almost all the Tuonos I looked at had were wearing sports-touring rubber. Oh, and the loving tail light fell off. Italian bikes.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Saga posted:

I found the Honda flyscreen surprisingly effective - also good for not having your expensive clocks thwacked by a flying stone.

Thanks for the tip, IŽve been thinking about the Honda flyscreen as IŽll be touring europe in a couple of weeks. How does it mount ? Did you have to drill or do any other permanent modfications to fit it ?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Arvid posted:

Thanks for the tip, IŽve been thinking about the Honda flyscreen as IŽll be touring europe in a couple of weeks. How does it mount ? Did you have to drill or do any other permanent modfications to fit it ?

Sorry, I sold the bike a while back and don't have an exact recollection. However, I'm almost certain the Honda one has its own bespoke brackets so you don't drill anything to fit it.

The other brand I was thinking of was Puig - that definitely has its own brackets because I just GIS'd it.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
China-bikes represent!

2006 Zongshen 200gy-2. I was pretty leery of any chinese motorcycles but short of shipping something in from the states my options were limited. Turns out this is a fairly good chinese copy of the Yamaha TW200 turned motard. And like the TW, it is neigh indestructible (but doesn't get anywhere very fast). Love the 2-stroke inspired exhaust heat shield :)

Picture was taken in St Thomas, USVI. The island in the background is Hans Lollik. And this is the view down from on the other side of the bike.

obso fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 28, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So I did a thing and Z3n helped a ton and now I have a thing and it's pretty fun :woop:

Sold my SV and got a Bandit. It's a 2001 1200s with more mods than I can count. A complete steal for $1200.

I will say that I really miss my SV though. By the time I sold it I literally fixed everything on it and it was so flickable through twisties and traffic. You could hamfist the throttle and not worry about crazy things happening and it always brought a smile to my face. The Bandit 1200s is way better for my legs though-- a 36" inseam doesn't leave much in terms of motorcycles. I can ride this all day and not feel even the slightest sore, even with a heavy backpack on.

I will say, though, that 140whp 90ftlbs/tq and an alleged sub-10 quarter mile is very, very scary fun. I've never had to hold on for dear life to a couch before.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My new fat baby. I look like a motor officer from the fun police.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Oh man this thing is awesome. I see loads of them tearing around SF.

Also Xovaan your bandit needs a turbo.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

God damnit Z3n fine I'll start saving for a turbo :argh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's irresistibly ugly. :D Best adventure bike on the market? I guess it is.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Twin fillers so you can look boss by using two petrol pumps at once. :neckbeard:

e: ...just like an XJS V12! :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :ohdear:

Saga fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 31, 2012

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Awesome. They're on my list at some point.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

So I did a thing and Z3n helped a ton and now I have a thing and it's pretty fun :woop:

Sold my SV and got a Bandit. It's a 2001 1200s with more mods than I can count. A complete steal for $1200.

I hate you. Not in a friendly way either, just hate. :argh:

You too.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Me and fatty are goin' to Pike's Peak today. :swoon:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Xovaan posted:

I wish I knew if those crash bars fit on my 600. I really like them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

It's irresistibly ugly. :D Best adventure bike on the market? I guess it is.
Um, Charlie and Ewan rejected them, so clearly they are the worst. :rolleyes:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Endless Mike posted:

Um, Charlie and Ewan rejected them, so clearly they are the worst. :rolleyes:

IIRC KTM was their first choice but KTM said no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shimrod posted:

IIRC KTM was their first choice but KTM said no.
Oh yeah. Well more proof!

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Xovaan posted:

I will say, though, that 140whp 90ftlbs/tq and an alleged sub-10 quarter mile is very, very scary fun. I've never had to hold on for dear life to a couch before.

Nice bike!

I can't even imagine that much power. I finally had the balls yesterday to WOT the 919 up to redline in second gear. I was doing 85 in what seemed like a second. :stare:

makes sense now.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Saga posted:

Basically a stock '04 Tuono R

Nice, I find those look more...interesting than new Tuono's. How does it sound with them cans?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Xovaan posted:

very nice. You gonna leave on the fairings or go naked? At which RPMs does the power kick in?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

the walkin dude posted:

At which RPMs does the power kick in?

Around 1 probably.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Aren't v-twins supposed to do that and not I-4's?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the walkin dude posted:

If the I4 is big enough, it works like that, too.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

the walkin dude posted:

V twins were the Italian Spiderman GIF.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That v-twins or thumpers automatically have more torque down low, and that i4s are to be revved to Pluto and back is a common misconception. It's more the fact that v-twins and thumpers usually have a larger bore and stroke giving them heavier pistons and higher mean piston speeds at comparable rpms, and therefor a shorter rev range and peak power at lower rpm that makes them feel like that. There is nothing that says a v-twin can't be built with a rev-it-to-the-moon peaky power curve, or that an i4 can't be a doing-burnouts-at-idle torque god. It's just usually more expensive.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

Xovaan posted:

You're like my big brother now (see top of last page).

Needless to say, awesome bike you got there!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
backstory - we rode the bike up to my inlaw's place Memorial Day weekend, picked up the UHaul, loaded the bike and a bunch of furniture into the truck, and then drove the truck home.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Nice, I find those look more...interesting than new Tuono's. How does it sound with them cans?

WHAT'S THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU I AM DEAF DUE TO MY EXTREMELY LOUD MOTORCYCLE

The motor's not as good as the second-generation rotax. The latter is lighter (thanks to the magic of magnesium alloys) and benefits from clever-er electronics and the 2-2. If you compare the 2, the Mk 1 has a hosed dyno curve thanks to noise and emissions that they couldn't really get around in 1997/8. The Akrapovic, cubic inches and a decent power output mean you can't really tell when you ride it, but back to back the Mk 2 is much better, plus it benefits from up-to-date calipers.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Raven457 posted:

backstory - we rode the bike up to my inlaw's place Memorial Day weekend, picked up the UHaul, loaded the bike and a bunch of furniture into the truck, and then drove the truck home.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Woah, I didn't realize I'd get so many responses for a posting a bandit. I'm like 30 years under the target demographic for this motorcycle. :raise:

zapateria posted:

You're like my big brother now (see top of last page).

Needless to say, awesome bike you got there!

Oh sick! My friend had a Bandit 600 down south and it's the reason I went with this one. Out of all the bikes I've sat on it was the only one that actually felt like it was meant for my frame. Pretty much the perfect commuter/traveler in my opinion. So much bang for your buck. Suzuki really did this right.

the walkin dude posted:

very nice. You gonna leave on the fairings or go naked? At which RPMs does the power kick in?

Gonna keep the fairings on this one. They're really nice and I have absolutely no buffeting on the highway at any speed. (any speed... :ninja: ) I still miss my SV though. :(

I believe it makes most of its torque around 3500-4k rpm and it revs up to 11k.

And yeah, I don't think I'll ever ride anything this fast ever again in my entire life. I was happy with my SV's 70ish horsepower and this this goes straight from overkill to "flying gibs" territory. Luckily it's very manageable and doesn't jump out at you due to the ride height of the bike and the fairly linear power delivery.

Here's the list of stuff done to it (so far, crosspost from Z3n's thread):

-1216 big bore kit
-GSXR1100 cams
-KN air filters
-Jetted carbs
-full Dale Walker Holeshot Exhaust
-ASV levers
-aftermarket windscreen
-pyramid rear hugger
-190/55 rear tire
-new EK ZZZ 530 chain and sprockets
-braided brake lines
-top end oiling kit
-race tech valves and springs (just installed with new bushings and seals)
-new spark plugs just installed
-new all balls steering stem bearings just installed
-Busa rear shock
-including extra parts such as brand new Barnett clutch kit, service manual, etc

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Xovaan posted:

Woah, I didn't realize I'd get so many responses for a posting a bandit. I'm like 30 years under the target demographic for this motorcycle. :raise:

Any idea on whether that engine guard fits a 600 of the same vintage?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

See this bike, the cracked headlight and the rust?

This is just not any old lovely bike, its my old lovely bike.

Oh God when he fired up that thing and drove it around :gizz:

Edit: Ended up paying 1300, it has a title but no plates. Thankfully I have a friend with a pickup and motorcycle straps.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 31, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ziploc posted:

Any idea on whether that engine guard fits a 600 of the same vintage?

I'm fairly certain it will. To my knowledge, the Bandit 600 and 1200 both share the same frame, but I haven't looked far enough into it to give you a definitive answer. I'll try doing some research after class for you though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Me and fatty are goin' to Pike's Peak today. :swoon:

Officer Porkins and I slowboated it up to 14000 feet today. The LC8 is a loving lazy motor that doesn't seem to care what gear, RPM, or degree of insane uphill you are going, it just grunts it out. I coasted most of the way down the mountain with a low fuel light and it worried me a bit, but she made it to the gas station.