Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Klowns posted:

Going from 5.0.1 JB to 5.1.1 I gave up on the recommended step of restoring the phone to factory defaults via the settings as it sat on a wait screen for an hour and a half.

Something to note, since I've seen this mentioned here, on other forums, other sites, on the JailbreakQA site, etc (and I'm sure it will be brought up again in the following pages);

If you have a jailbroken device that you want to wipe or update from an older iOS version to a newer version (such as 5.1.1), Do **NOT** press "Erase All Content and Settings"!

Do not do this. You are not supposed to do this. Developers of the jailbreaks say to never do this. They have been telling people not to do this for months or even years now.
The first post of this thread even says to not press "Erase All Content and Settings.

So hitting "Erase All Content and Settings" is certainly NOT the "recommended step" for this.

The best way to update to 5.1.1 from an older version of iOS has been this method:
- Click "Backup" to make iTunes backup your device's configuration.
- Click "Restore" to wipe it and install 5.1.1.
- Jailbreak using Absinthe.
- Click "Restore from Backup" to put your apps and settings back.

And then another possible step:
- If you're having network issues (VPN isn't working, WiFi won't connect, 3G/cellular issues, etc), you need to "Reset Network Settings".

Even if you're already at 5.1.1 (but not jailbroken), using the above method is the only sure way to make sure your device works. Some users that were at 5.1.1 (via the over-the-air update) were not able to jailbreak. It was only after a restore to the full iOS 5.1.1 install through iTunes that their device was able to function after using Absinthe.

***Edit:
I guess the first post of this thread is a little misleading. It says "If you're using a previous jailbreak that is not running iOS version 5.1.1 ..." and then lists incorrect steps. The "Erase All Content and Settings" step is for users that are NOT using a previous jailbreak!
The GreenPois0n site only mentions "Erase All Content and Settings" for NON-jailbroken devices.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Xenomorph posted:

Something to note, since I've seen this mentioned here, on other forums, other sites, on the JailbreakQA site, etc (and I'm sure it will be brought up again in the following pages);

If you have a jailbroken device that you want to wipe or update from an older iOS version to a newer version (such as 5.1.1), Do **NOT** press "Erase All Content and Settings"!

Do not do this. You are not supposed to do this. Developers of the jailbreaks say to never do this. They have been telling people not to do this for months or even years now.
The first post of this thread even says to not press "Erase All Content and Settings.

So hitting "Erase All Content and Settings" is certainly NOT the "recommended step" for this.

The best way to update to 5.1.1 from an older version of iOS has been this method:
- Click "Backup" to make iTunes backup your device's configuration.
- Click "Restore" to wipe it and install 5.1.1.
- Jailbreak using Absinthe.
- Click "Restore from Backup" to put your apps and settings back.

And then another possible step:
- If you're having network issues (VPN isn't working, WiFi won't connect, 3G/cellular issues, etc), you need to "Reset Network Settings".

Even if you're already at 5.1.1 (but not jailbroken), using the above method is the only sure way to make sure your device works. Some users that were at 5.1.1 (via the over-the-air update) were not able to jailbreak. It was only after a restore to the full iOS 5.1.1 install through iTunes that their device was able to function after using Absinthe.

Actually the OP says to erase all content and settings if you're upgrading from an older version, and the directions that come with Absinthe have you do it no matter what. Even if it's not necessary what's the downside of doing it?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

King Nothing posted:

Actually the OP says to erase all content and settings if you're upgrading from an older version, and the directions that come with Absinthe have you do it no matter what. Even if it's not necessary what's the downside of doing it?

I just noticed that as well. The OP is wrong, and I updated my post. The Dev Team only says to do that step if your device is "unjailbroken" (the word they used).

I don't know of any real harm, but many people find that their device seems to hang if they try to Erase all when jailbroken (requiring a hard reboot).

Every time someone brings it up on other sites, they're told to NOT do that.

http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/97644/erase-content-settings-freeze
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/85669/jailbroken-iphone-4-with-ios-41-used-erase-all-contents-and-settings-and-stuck-on-apple-logo
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/106644/reset-all-settings-problem

quote:

Please don't try: Tapping "Erase All Content and Settings" (in Settings -> General -> Reset) fails badly on jailbroken devices (due to their rearranged filesystems) - the result will be a device that's stuck on the Apple logo indefinitely, only fixable by restoring it with iTunes (using custom firmware if necessary).
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/32462/frequently-asked-questions

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Xenomorph posted:

I just noticed that as well. The OP is wrong, and I updated my post. The Dev Team only says to do that step if your device is "unjailbroken" (the word they used).

I don't know of any real harm, but many people find that their device seems to hang if they try to Erase all when jailbroken (requiring a hard reboot).

Every time someone brings it up on other sites, they're told to NOT do that.

http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/97644/erase-content-settings-freeze
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/85669/jailbroken-iphone-4-with-ios-41-used-erase-all-contents-and-settings-and-stuck-on-apple-logo
http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/106644/reset-all-settings-problem

http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/32462/frequently-asked-questions

Ah, see I've always restored to a stock iOS version before jailbreaking, seems safest to do it that way.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Did anyone have issues with iTunes Match after jailbreaking 5.1.1? It was working fine last week as far as I know, but after I jailbroke and restored it's been giving me a "this item cannot be downloaded" error message for certain songs on my iphone. Anyone else having this problem and any ideas for a fix?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

King Nothing posted:

Ah, see I've always restored to a stock iOS version before jailbreaking, seems safest to do it that way.

Yeah man. This! I just upgraded my 4S to a 4G(5.1.1, teehee) from a JB 5.0.1. I've been jailbreaking since jailbreaking was introduced and whenever a new firmware was out, I always restored my phone to factory settings, set up the phone as new and started fresh. And I've never had any trouble whatsoever.

As jailbreaking gets easier, it invariable attracts people who think it's a good idea to use the OTA update, or Erase all Contents and Settings, and wonder why it doesn't work as it would normally. (Your device is special now that is jailbroken! TREAT IT AS SUCH!)

I have this (probably unjustified) fear of using a JB backup as the restore image after a new update. I know it works for lots of people, but I'd never do it myself. But I'm also the type of person that doesn't get attached to things, like how my device is setup, or my background, or all the little things people try and preserve through upgrading firmwares. This is because I know how painless it is for me to get things back to where I want with just a little effort. Contacts are in the cloud, I've only purchased a handful of apps from Cydia so I can remember those, and my photos are backed up to my computer daily. Plus, it's great to re-evaluate things(in life and in iPhone) and I usually find myself shedding a handful of apps that were merely icons and never used.

tl;dr If you jailbreak, you shouldn't expect firmware upgrades to be absolutely perfect. Because, oh yeah, you're not running apple software anymore.

On another note, did anyone catch the twitter conversation between @pod2g and @i0n1c this morning? i0n1c called out pod2g and the Absinthe crew. @i0n1c, "All I am saying is that Absinthe exploits allow to write malware that jumps from PC to iPhone when the user syncs. Previously not possible." I wonder if changing your root/mobile password protects you against this type of thing, or if the exploit is such that any code can be ran.

edit: @pod2g response, "To sum it up, Just don't plug your device to random USB plugs," and apparently, "setting a passcode [will] prevent pairing with untrusted computers." Yeah, but if your trusted computer is infected.....???

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 1, 2012

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, I was just going by the OP and thought it was a bit odd as I've never done that step during previous jailbreaks. When I was talking to somebody later about the process I laughed as the step said it'd save time but instead just sat there until I did

Xenomorph posted:

many people find that their device seems to hang if they try to Erase all when jailbroken (requiring a hard reboot).
this hard reboot.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
So after the new version it worked after only a few retries:

So now my iPhone 4 can be as dysfunctional as an iPhone 4S, woo!

actually being able to voice dictate texts while driving is worth all the pain

It does seem to flake out after a while though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Do I have to be using 5.1.1 in order to get SiriPort to work? I'm running 5.0.1 right now and got it to install using the instructions on the previous page, but it's been over 24 hours and I'm still not able to get the drat thing working. Should I uninstall SiriPort, install the new one, and see if that works?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
You should definitely install the new version (and the new cert) but make sure you install the correct one for your OS version.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

decypher posted:

On another note, did anyone catch the twitter conversation between @pod2g and @i0n1c this morning? i0n1c called out pod2g and the Absinthe crew. @i0n1c, "All I am saying is that Absinthe exploits allow to write malware that jumps from PC to iPhone when the user syncs. Previously not possible." I wonder if changing your root/mobile password protects you against this type of thing, or if the exploit is such that any code can be ran.

edit: @pod2g response, "To sum it up, Just don't plug your device to random USB plugs," and apparently, "setting a passcode [will] prevent pairing with untrusted computers." Yeah, but if your trusted computer is infected.....???

I love reading i0n1c's Twitter trolls. I don't know how he's involved with the scene, but from what he posts, he seems like he's really butthurt over something. When someone involved in the scene gives a logical response to one of his idiotic scenarios, he always responds with "oh well looks like I just said something that may affect chronic's paypal donations, uh oh!!!!"

He's such a big baby, but I can't stop reading them.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm really loving confused now because everyone is having different problems. Forgive me, but is this the correct way, for me on the ipad3:

- Backup on Itunes
- Update to newest IOS from iTunes.
- Run the Absinthe 2.0
- Success?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

henpod posted:

I'm really loving confused now because everyone is having different problems. Forgive me, but is this the correct way, for me on the ipad3:

- Backup on Itunes
- Run the Absinthe 2.0
- Success?

That's the correctest. Have fun!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

henpod posted:

- Backup on Itunes
- Run the Absinthe 2.0
- Success?

Almost.

- Backup in iTunes.
- Click the Restore button to wipe & install the latest iOS (not Update).
- Run the latest Absinthe.
- Restore your Backup back to your device.

It's also recommended that you keep multiple backups, just in case iTunes overwrites your good backup with an new & blank backup that it makes by default after you wipe your device.

Windows:
%AppData%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
Mac OS X:
~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

You should see a folder in there for each backup for each iOS device you have. They will have an almost random-looking name, like "14accef4fa48b5ab32ab9e8f72" or whatever. Just rename it by adding "old-" in front of its name. iTunes will create another backup then.

When you tell iTunes to restore from a backup, you will then have a drop-down list that has all of your backups listed.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Did anyone have issues with iTunes Match after jailbreaking 5.1.1? It was working fine last week as far as I know, but after I jailbroke and restored it's been giving me a "this item cannot be downloaded" error message for certain songs on my iphone. Anyone else having this problem and any ideas for a fix?

No ideas on a fix, but I've had that problem as well.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Can anyone tell me if this jailbreak tweak exists?

I want to be able to search my contacts based off of a phone number or partial phone number. Through either spotlight or the in-app search feature.

Anyone heard of something like this?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MickRaider posted:

Can anyone tell me if this jailbreak tweak exists?

I want to be able to search my contacts based off of a phone number or partial phone number. Through either spotlight or the in-app search feature.

Anyone heard of something like this?

I would love to find a tweak that allows you to put spell someone's name in the dialer and it brings them up. It is one of the things I miss from Android.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Carlton Banks posted:

No ideas on a fix, but I've had that problem as well.

My plan for when I get home to (try to) fix it: I'm going to make sure everything is consolidated on itunes on my desktop, restart itunes pointing to a new empty library, sync with itunes match, delete everything from the cloud, then re-launch with old library and let everything reload back onto match. Hoping that will fix whatever poo poo has happened to it.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I tried for a good long while last night to get Siri to respond but no go. Was about to uninstall and try again but there was an update available in cydia. After a quick reboot I think Siri responded to my hello after the second or third try.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Does anyone else have this issue or a fix?

I'm still on a 5.0.1 JB, and whenever I delete an app from my device, after it is deleted I get a bunch of white icons that show up and I need to respring and then put my original icon setup back in place. Not the biggest deal but just curious if I'm not alone.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Does anyone else have this issue or a fix?

I'm still on a 5.0.1 JB, and whenever I delete an app from my device, after it is deleted I get a bunch of white icons that show up and I need to respring and then put my original icon setup back in place. Not the biggest deal but just curious if I'm not alone.

I have this on both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 on my 4S. Everytime I add or delete something from the Springboard a bunch of white demo icons come up as well as my SBSettings-hidden apps/icons like iFile and Activator. A respring always fixes it so I'm not too worried but I'd love to see a fix for this.

Also, a lot of people in this thread have posted about problems with the JB a few days after doing it which is making me really worried. Fortunately nothing's come up on my iDevice but still :ohdear:

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Fozaldo posted:

Hey guys, there is a new cert. I just installed and it is now working again. I didn't bother to delete the old one. Right click and save as

http://siriport.ru/siriport_ru_original.pem

I got Siri up and running on my iPhone 4 in about eight "Hi Siri". Thanks for this!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got sick of dicking with Siri after 24 hours of telling her hi. Uninstalled it and she got her revenge by keeping me in a continuous boot loop. I had to DFU restore :(

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Annoying problem started in the past day or so, I'm struggling to install anything from the app store-the icon will just sit at 'Waiting'. Any ideas on a fix? (iPad 3)

Ahhh, found the issue - I had the Steve Jobs videos downloading in iTunes, over 3gb each by th looks of it, so my apps were, indeed, waiting to install. Carry on, nothing to see here!

dirtyfrog fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 2, 2012

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
SmallBanners just came out a few days ago. It restricts the size of the banner notification to the height of the status bar so it's less obstructive and annoying- pretty nice.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

On the bottom right of the notification center/infoshade, there's a quickcompose icon for biteSMS. How do I get rid of it? I couldn't find anything through the options.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

On the bottom right of the notification center/infoshade, there's a quickcompose icon for biteSMS. How do I get rid of it? I couldn't find anything through the options.

biteSMS settings -> Quick Compose -> Notification Center Icon

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Does anyone have an alternative to AutoCorrection Bar that works in 5.1.1?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hooray for a completely painless update process.

Backed up my phone, hit Restore, jailbroke with Absinthe, installed all of my jailbreak apps, then restored all of my settings. I think the only thing that didn't carry over was the fact that I had a few apps hidden by SBSettings, and that took all of thirty seconds to fix.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

adm posted:

SmallBanners just came out a few days ago. It restricts the size of the banner notification to the height of the status bar so it's less obstructive and annoying- pretty nice.

This owns, by the way. No more stupid notifications being in the way of various top-of-screen controls.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I figure I should ask here first since I'm jail broken so:

Anyone been having issues with Safari and SA? I don't know why but the cookies for it aren't storing so I'm in a login loop where it shows the glue glue glue page then takes me straight to the login page. Gmail and other site appear to work fine.

I haven't installed anything for safari. Only JB related thing would be NCSettings which has the private browsing toggle.

The Awful app still has me logged in without any problems so is it my phone or SA itself?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I figure I should ask here first since I'm jail broken so:

Anyone been having issues with Safari and SA? I don't know why but the cookies for it aren't storing so I'm in a login loop where it shows the glue glue glue page then takes me straight to the login page. Gmail and other site appear to work fine.

I haven't installed anything for safari. Only JB related thing would be NCSettings which has the private browsing toggle.

The Awful app still has me logged in without any problems so is it my phone or SA itself?

Sounds like permissions are messed up. In SBsettings, you can run the Fix Permissions thing and that should fix it.

edit: I could be wrong, but that's what I would try first.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So because of my JB problems before, I restored clean and didn't put my backup on. Everything is good, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get BiteSMS to stop showing the big gray box of text/quick-compose window whenever anyone texts me. I had it set up before where I just had the stock iOS5 skinny alert that you can slide to open. I can't seem to figure out how to get that back from toggling different Notifications settings. (Is it somewhere in BiteSMS perhaps and I'm not seeing it?)

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

So because of my JB problems before, I restored clean and didn't put my backup on. Everything is good, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get BiteSMS to stop showing the big gray box of text/quick-compose window whenever anyone texts me. I had it set up before where I just had the stock iOS5 skinny alert that you can slide to open. I can't seem to figure out how to get that back from toggling different Notifications settings. (Is it somewhere in BiteSMS perhaps and I'm not seeing it?)

Did you have SMS Alerts toggled off?

e: also Settings -> Quick Reply -> Use Apple Settings (?)

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 2, 2012

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Feenix posted:

Quick Reply > Alert Style > Use Apple Settings

Edit: beaten ^

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

adm posted:

biteSMS settings -> Quick Compose -> Notification Center Icon

Much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to change the bitesms purple icon that shows up via notification?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Quick Reply > Alert Style > Use Apple Settings

Edit: beaten ^

So now when I get a message it still has that gray Quick Compose style but if the screen goes off and then comes back on THEN it's the Apple style comes up.

I don't know what gives

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Feenix posted:

So now when I get a message it still has that gray Quick Compose style but if the screen goes off and then comes back on THEN it's the Apple style comes up.

I don't know what gives

In the quick reply settings, under lock screen, make sure "auto show quick reply" is off.

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 3, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone work with Cydia repositories? I'm having some weird issues with Google AdSense on package depiction pages.

I designed a page & layout, then try to view it.

Firefox (Desktop): Page loads fine, Google Ads load.
Safari (iOS): Page loads fine, place-holder images show (when Google can't find relevant ads).
Cydia: Page loads fine, space where ads should be are simply blank.

Now, sometimes the ads load fine in Safari (iOS), and very rarely they load in Cydia.

Anyone know if Google tries to block display on Cydia?

I've packaged some of the zips I've put together so I can get them to auto-install (instead of using SFTP to transfer them to each device I use). I have my own repository so I can easily load my tweaks and test programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I just got an iPad 3 and jailbroke it without a hitch. Is there a real reason to use Displayout instead of buying a licensed cable?

Also, is there any tweak that adds shortcuts to the wireless Apple keyboard? (Specifically an app switcher or homescreen function mapped to one of the other function keys.)

Are there any other must-haves?

• Locked thread