Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Szurumbur posted:

I know that Rightload is used to batch upload, though I do not know if it supports this particular site - I did upload directly to imgur, even though it is not mentioned on the program's site, so I guess it is worth a try?

Pinterest is kind of a bitch that way, it has a really awkward and clunky pinning process. I'm curious about this as well for the same reason, I'd like to pin files by batches.

At least with imgur you can just keep adding files into 'images' and it'll queue them for automatic upload. I was happy to notice this when I added a bunch of pictures for the Everest thread tonight. It made me happy that I didn't have to keep watching to see when each upload was done to do the next one. That is one of the most tedious things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xiahou Dun posted:

1) My first two cars were Saabs, and in those the headlights shut off when you turn off the car, unless you put it in the special "keep the headlights on" setting. This always seemed really, really natural to me, and I killed many a battery leaving lights on when I started driving other cars. Is there a reason why the standard is lights staying on? Is there something particular to Saabs or Swedish cars that made them be different? Am I secretly :sweden: and my parents never told me?

I don't think this is specific to Saabs. My older Ford F250 truck would shut the headlights off automatically when you turned off the engine, the only way to keep them on was to turn the key back to the accessory position that also lets you put the radio on. Of course to do that, you had to leave the keys in the ignition, so it's not like you could just walk away.

Other cars probably leave them on because having the lights stay on while the engine's off can be useful in certain situations. Like, if you suddenly ran out of gas on the road at night, and had to cut the engine, it'd be quite useful for all your headlights and taillights to stay on to be visible. Or if you're going camping, setting up your tents and stuff at night, and have the headlights stay on to light up the campsite for that.

Now what I want to know is why there are some cars where not only will the headlights stay on when you turn the car off, but you can't turn off the headlights without starting it again. My mom's old Dodge Caravan did that, there's a switch you turn to put on the headlights while you're driving; if that's on and you shut the van off the lights stay on AND turning the switch to "off" doesn't turn them off until you start the engine again!

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

spoon0042 posted:

A similar annoyance: I once had a 1983 Accord that had a feature where the driver door wouldn't lock while it was open. My next car was a 1993 Sentra that didn't have that and I ended up locking the keys in it at least twice. :downs: It's kind of moot though with newer cars since pretty much everyone always locks the doors with the keychain thing.

As for lights, my dad's last car had automatic lights, and his current one has them auto shut-off. The only slight annoyance with that is sometimes the lights end up on in the morning and you don't notice for a while.

Doesn't help you much now, but on 90s Hondas you can lock the door by holding the door handle open with your middle, ring and pinky fingers, and hitting the lock button with your index finger. Another cool thing that a lot of people don't know about those cars is that holding the key in the unlock position for a couple seconds unlocks all the doors.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

DELETED posted:

Doesn't help you much now, but on 90s Hondas you can lock the door by holding the door handle open with your middle, ring and pinky fingers, and hitting the lock button with your index finger. Another cool thing that a lot of people don't know about those cars is that holding the key in the unlock position for a couple seconds unlocks all the doors.

Does it know if you just use whatever fingers on one hand and then use your other hand to hit the lock button? You make it sound like you have to use those specific fingers or it will not work.

For the headlights talk, I have a minivan that the light come on whenever the van is started and stay on. I have not yet drove another car and forgotten to turn on the lights because of this but i don't drive too many other vehicles.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Trastion posted:

Does it know if you just use whatever fingers on one hand and then use your other hand to hit the lock button? You make it sound like you have to use those specific fingers or it will not work.

Yes.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
But shouldn't the lock button lock the door regardless of what else is going on?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

But shouldn't the lock button lock the door regardless of what else is going on?

It's meant to make it harder for you to lock your keys in the car, by making it so, unless you know the special work-around, you have to use your keys to lock the door.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I spilled a soft drink on my laptop's keyboard a few days ago. I wiped it out as good as I could, but some of the keys are still sticky from the bottom side, making them hard to press. How can I salvage the situation, as I suppose I can't just rip the keys off, clean it and put them back like I would do with a "normal" keyboard of a desktop PC?

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 1, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
So liquor sales in Washington state just became privatized, meaning we can buy the hard stuff at the grocery store now. At the old state-run stores, the shelf price was the register price, but now all the taxes and poo poo get added on when you check out. Of course this allows the store to advertise a much lower price, even though the final amount is generally going to be higher than it was previously.

That got me to thinking, though. Why don't shelf prices include sales taxes and the like? Is it purely so stores can advertise a lower price?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Probably. And so it's less obvious that privatization was a scam pushed through for ideological reasons.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Not all states have the same tax rate and it would be more of a pain for national chains to calculate in the tax for each state's stores.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ladyweapon posted:

Not all states have the same tax rate and it would be more of a pain for national chains to calculate in the tax for each state's stores.

Plus, every time the government changed the tax rate every retailer would have to change the shelf price for everything they sell.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spoon0042 posted:

Probably. And so it's less obvious that privatization was a scam pushed through for ideological reasons.

Don't get me started. I'm all for privatizing liquor sales, but this was a lovely, lovely referendum. The sooner I move out of this godawful state the better.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

spoon0042 posted:

Having lived much of my life in an ABC state, this confuses me, what is wrong with Washington's law?

Edit: Saw the problem may have been more with the referendum, and yeah, that looks pretty bad. Also what's this about Costco overtly drafting legislation?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Having lived much of my life in an ABC state, this confuses me, what is wrong with Washington's law?

Edit: Saw the problem may have been more with the referendum, and yeah, that looks pretty bad. Also what's this about Costco overtly drafting legislation?

Washington's voter initiative process is extremely terrible and is basically bankrupting the state, but that's probably a matter for another thread.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lichtenstein posted:

I spilled a soft drink on my laptop's keyboard a few days ago. I wiped it out as good as I could, but some of the keys are still sticky from the bottom side, making them hard to press. How can I salvage the situation, as I suppose I can't just rip the keys off, clean it and put them back like I would do with a "normal" keyboard of a desktop PC?

The mechanism for laptop keys often resembles a tiny ironing board with about 3 different plastic pieces that snap together underneath each key. They're very small and delicate and if you aren't careful they can snap as you try to pry the keys off. If you plan on doing this to very many keys it might be a good idea to secure some replacement parts beforehand or you'll be googling for them on the little rubber nubs underneath all that stuff.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stubblyhead posted:

That got me to thinking, though. Why don't shelf prices include sales taxes and the like? Is it purely so stores can advertise a lower price?

Chain stores frequently set prices and coordinate marketing for "regions" of stores that quite usually cross state and county lines. Since sales taxes vary by state, and sometimes by county or even city, putting the price with sales tax in the ad means redoing their stuff for each political division with a different tax. And sometimes an item is subject to sales tax in one state, but would be excluded from sales tax in another state (this most frequently happens with clothing).

So instead of putting an ad in the paper that says "This week at your local Chainco, Printer Ink #12 is $30" it'd be all "This week at your local Chainco, Printer Ink #12 is $31 in State A, $32 in State B, unless you're in County Z where it's $33.50 or City X where it's $32.75". And that'd just be for like,one metropolitan area, national stuff would be even worse since you have something like 200 or more different sales tax regimes to deal with. By sales tax regime I mean the combination of state level sales tax + any applicable county sales tax + any applicable municipal one.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

stubblyhead posted:

So liquor sales in Washington state just became privatized, meaning we can buy the hard stuff at the grocery store now. At the old state-run stores, the shelf price was the register price, but now all the taxes and poo poo get added on when you check out. Of course this allows the store to advertise a much lower price, even though the final amount is generally going to be higher than it was previously.

My wife was telling me about all the emails they have gotten at work explaining how the taxes are going to be rung up and how to handle customer complaints. It should be pretty :lol: as per what she has seen.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I installed Chrome but every time I try to run it the icon on my taskbar lights up but then it goes back to it's normal 'pinned but not running' state, what gives?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Lichtenstein posted:

When I spilled beer in my work laptop I dumped a bunch of 91% alcohol in it and let it dry before I started it up again. None of the keys stick and it works fine, so try that.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

When I spilled beer in my work laptop I dumped a bunch of 91% alcohol in it and let it dry before I started it up again. None of the keys stick and it works fine, so try that.

Yeah alcohol shouldn't hurt your computer, but get as high a proof as you can, 200 ideally.

SEC
Nov 14, 2005
My Dad wants to show people a DIY video, but he does not have an internet connection. Is there a simple program out there that will A) allow me to download a youtube video? B) Not bog down my computer with Malware? Thanks in advance.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Theres guides on how to cap yt vids with wireshark its a pretty well respected packet sniffer. If you want simple try tubemaster++ its out of production but works fine for me.

Either way will cap mp3s good from streaming sites too. Only do this to public domain stuff though.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 2, 2012

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

There's a python script called youtube-dl which is pretty perfect.

http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
There's a dude on craigslist who wants to buy some stuff of mine with Paypal. Obviously the scam sirens go off but he said he's willing to write in the text "no refund, already received item, etc". Would that protect me at all against a chargeback?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

SEC posted:

My Dad wants to show people a DIY video, but he does not have an internet connection. Is there a simple program out there that will A) allow me to download a youtube video? B) Not bog down my computer with Malware? Thanks in advance.

I've always used the online java version of http://keepvid.com/ with no problems

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found
I remember seeing a while back someone on SA-Mart selling metal roses. I think they were stainless steel. Basically sheet metal shaped to look like a rose. Does anyone remember who was selling these and/or if the thread is still around?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Knightmare posted:

There's a dude on craigslist who wants to buy some stuff of mine with Paypal. Obviously the scam sirens go off but he said he's willing to write in the text "no refund, already received item, etc". Would that protect me at all against a chargeback?

No.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

alwayslost posted:

I remember seeing a while back someone on SA-Mart selling metal roses. I think they were stainless steel. Basically sheet metal shaped to look like a rose. Does anyone remember who was selling these and/or if the thread is still around?
Heres the old thread where (s)he buys the stuff to make the roses. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3375881

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

SEC posted:

http://www.keepvid.com

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Regarding the retention of youtube (public domain only) videos, Download Helper is another awesome, easy to use tool.

I just tried it out again for the first time in months and it grabbed a 16mb 4 minute video clip in a few seconds. Faster than youtube would dole it out to you.

I think it's Firefox only though.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

stubblyhead posted:

Don't get me started. I'm all for privatizing liquor sales, but this was a lovely, lovely referendum. The sooner I move out of this godawful state the better.

WHERE IS BETTER?

Seriously, I moved here from Utah, and I find it refreshing that the LDS Church doesn't control 65% of the vote on every single issue. I expect Washington liquor prices to go up, but also state revenue on liquor sales to go up, so I'm okay with that. Any means to inject funds into our hilariously underfunded government.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

stubblyhead posted:

Don't come to Pennsylvania. As far as I can tell, all the "privatize liquor sales!" poo poo here means "Oh, you're still hosed about what you can buy and where you can buy it, but the liquor stores will be run by whoever bids the most instead of the PLCB". So it will mean jack poo poo to consumers, not have any long-term financial benefit to the state, and really only serve the purpose of busting the union of the people who currently work at the state-run liquor stores.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Don't come to Pennsylvania. As far as I can tell, all the "privatize liquor sales!" poo poo here means "Oh, you're still hosed about what you can buy and where you can buy it, but the liquor stores will be run by whoever bids the most instead of the PLCB". So it will mean jack poo poo to consumers, not have any long-term financial benefit to the state, and really only serve the purpose of busting the union of the people who currently work at the state-run liquor stores.

Moving from glorious Wisconsin to Philadelphia was a serious shock. I walked to every local gas station and grocer in my area growing more and more dazed as shelves and coolers came up...beerless. :stare:

So in other words, move to Wisconsin.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Liebfraumilch posted:

Moving from glorious Wisconsin to Philadelphia was a serious shock. I walked to every local gas station and grocer in my area growing more and more dazed as shelves and coolers came up...beerless. :stare:

So in other words, move to Wisconsin.

I went to college in Pennsylvania, actually. It was a big culture shock for me coming from Florida where drive-thru liquor stores are commonplace. My wife and I would like to move to Oregon for what it's worth.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Is there like a 1-3 hour reference course that's audio only for learning Spanish? That FSI stuff is great, but I've already learned Spanish, I just need to freshen up since I haven't used it in years, and doing the learning course over and over again is so tedious. I just need to hear 100 or so common phrases.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

stubblyhead posted:

I went to college in Pennsylvania, actually. It was a big culture shock for me coming from Florida where drive-thru liquor stores are commonplace. My wife and I would like to move to Oregon for what it's worth.
Move to Oregon if you like not having jobs and things to do.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

SEC posted:

Use jdownloader. It's free and open and regularly updated. Copy the YouTube url and jdownloader will automatically parse every download option, including the mp3. Oh yeah, it does this for every link you copy, not just YouTube videos.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I drive a 2003 Ford Escape. Would the doors unlock themselves if I got into a car accident and my air bag deployed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Helmholz posted:

I drive a 2003 Ford Escape. Would the doors unlock themselves if I got into a car accident and my air bag deployed?

No. The so-called Ford Escape is well known for trapping its victims after accidents. It sometimes bursts into flames as well.