Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does a given generation have a time limit? If no one kills it, will it eventually just auto-die and respawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NESguerilla posted:

Why let people look at their equipment from the consumables menu then? I still try to equip poo poo from there on a regular basis and it's just like "oh wait, can't do that click click click click click click, ok now I can equip"
Mainly so you can pass gear to your pawns without having to pull up the equipment menu. Honestly it's an okay decision to split it up like that considering the equipment menu needs its own separate area for the model previews and stat comparisons.

The real thing you probably want to complain about is having to access the inventory to use any consumables or common tools. A radial dial would have been a nice addition and really segregated things in a much more obvious manner.

Radial dial - use items
Item Management Screen - for moving items around, seeing what you have, and assigning items to your dial
Equipment Screen - for equipping weapons/armor and seeing how they change your stats

I'd just as assume they had to drop any idea of the radial dial since the control scheme was already growing pretty complicated. At least they gave you the option to shift straight to the equipment screen if you launch the inventory. Small band-aid at least.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
I just wish they'd decided to remove the sheath button and have L2 be a radial item menu, or have L2 be sprint and left-stick (L3) be the radial menu. Would have been a lot better for using curatives and I might have actually thrown flasks of oil and used dragonspits and stuff.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Is there a resource somewhere that documents how each vocation interacts with different stats? I'm mainly asking about offensive stats. For instance, I'm assuming the Magick Archer's bow skills and shots are modified by magic damage, correct? Would the magical dagger skills also be boosted by magick?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The warrior pawn I've got is ridiculous. He doesn't hit things too often but they get completely ruined when he does. He killed an ogre from half health in a single hit

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is it wrong that, at level 37, I still want to be a fighter? I have tried a couple vocation ranks of Warrior but it's just too slow. Mystic Knight has that useless Sky Dance and starting shield skills that don't look fun at all, and Assassin locks me out of my best armor, plus I hate night and don't really care about soloing since Pawns are the best thing ever.

I was thinking about going Strider and try some bow action, but at this point in the game I think I'd just get raped since most enemies are very big and very mean, my character is slow, tall and heavy, and I'm too used to face-tanking everything from ogres to chimeras. Would it be a good idea for NG+ or should I just start a fresh new save?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Is it wrong that, at level 37, I still want to be a fighter? I have tried a couple vocation ranks of Warrior but it's just too slow. Mystic Knight has that useless Sky Dance and starting shield skills that don't look fun at all, and Assassin locks me out of my best armor, plus I hate night and don't really care about soloing since Pawns are the best thing ever.

I was thinking about going Strider and try some bow action, but at this point in the game I think I'd just get raped since most enemies are very big and very mean, my character is slow, tall and heavy, and I'm too used to face-tanking everything from ogres to chimeras. Would it be a good idea for NG+ or should I just start a fresh new save?

A better bet than Strider might be Assassin. I know you said it locks you out of your best armour, but so does Strider. At least with Assassin you can still use a sword and a shield and swap out the shield for a bow whenever you want. You said you hate night and don't want to solo, so just don't slot in the Assassin augments for night-time and being alone :) Run an assassin with your fighter augments and be a tanky fighter with some alternative attacks and the option to use a bow. Plus, levelling Assassin gives you less defence but more strength per level, so you'll do more damage - even if you decide to swap back to Fighter at some point.

I know what you mean about Fighter though :) I played a fighter and swapped to a Mystic Knight at some point. I like the idea of that class, but I hate the fact that their group buffs take so long to cast and are so short in duration, even with sorc/mage augments. I was playing him as a kind of paladin, but I decided to just swap back to Fighter and run my support mage with Holy Affinity and I enjoyed it much more :)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TorakFade posted:

Isn't fighter the only true sword and board class in the game? Nothing wrong with that, sir!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DrNutt posted:

Isn't fighter the only true sword and board class in the game? Nothing wrong with that, sir!

Assassins can use sword and board too.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Mystic Knight is very sword and board, and can be pretty much 'pure' S+B if you choose the right skills for it. Assassin can be sword and board too and have unique shield skills of their own.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why doesn't this game have axes? That's the only thing missing that saddens me. I get tired of Fighter having only one weapon type--all the wicked maces are MK only. An battle axe would for fighter or a pole-axe for a warrior would go a long way to making me happy. And it would be an opportunity, perhaps, to have weapons that blend slashing and bludgeoning strength.

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...
Should be noted, Assassin's don't have a 'high' attack gain per level, they have the highest. After rolling Assassin for over 30 levels (and Warrior for 20 levels), I have stupid amounts of power. Forget defending or guarding, it's all useless when you kill them before they can you. :black101:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Policenaut posted:

Assassins can use sword and board too.

Huh, the more you know I guess.

I knew about Mystic Knight but I thought the only shields they got were big ugly tower shields.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I'll give assassin a spin, but I think I will ultimately just keep on fight(er)ing. Upon reflection, smashing goblins in the face with your shield then throwing them in the sea really is the finest art!

I only miss the ability to bring down flying enemies, my pawns suck at handling griffons and let them hover around for hours, it pisses me off to no end if I can't find a rock from which to grab them.

We'll see if I get tired of this by NG+ at which point I'll go Strider. Oh god so many choices (e: funny thing about striders, their "hundred kisses" and "thousand kisses" skills, here they've been translated as "hundred bees" and "thousand bees". BEES!!!)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 1, 2012

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Tufty posted:

I've heard that the Ur-Dragon does grow in strength though. I think each subsequent generation has more health, and how much more so is possibly based on how quickly it was killed last time. If one generation takes substantially longer to kill than the previous then it decreases in power. I've heard that it's become a bit hosed up because people are using solo Assassins with gouge and everything else so that they're perfectly designed to kill the Ur-Dragon as fast as possible and so it's jumped up in power like crazy. Apparently every other generation now has tons of health, and because the 'odd' generations have SO much and take SO long to kill, all the 'even' Ur-Dragons are pretty easy and go down quickly.

No wonder my High Maelstroms and High Bolides were doing gently caress all to him. I went before as strider hundred kissing away and i barely did any damage at all too. If anyone is on the PS3 version and needs the sword I can trade it for the black mask since it's the only thing I'm missing from it. PSN is the same as my name.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 1, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lotish posted:

Why doesn't this game have axes? That's the only thing missing that saddens me. I get tired of Fighter having only one weapon type--all the wicked maces are MK only. An battle axe would for fighter or a pole-axe for a warrior would go a long way to making me happy. And it would be an opportunity, perhaps, to have weapons that blend slashing and bludgeoning strength.
I agree, but someone told me that some of the "hammer" weapons are axes, the other night. Haven't seen one myself, yet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just took down the ogre on the giant stairwell with my warrior, felt like a loving badass :black101:

PSN is Alan-1 my Main pawn is Azula, she's pretty awesome so feel free to let her join (although she is only level 14 or 15 at this point).

EDIT: Also, do you get some monster hunter style giant weapons later on? Hoping to find them for my warrior.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kingtheninja posted:

EDIT: Also, do you get some monster hunter style giant weapons later on? Hoping to find them for my warrior.

Yeah, there's a couple really big swords later on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I loved Dark/Demon's Souls and I love Monster Hunter. I should probably get this, huh.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Scott Bakula posted:

I've been given windbluff tower key. Where is it/whats it for?
There's a locked door in Windbluff. It has some chests in it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In the bandit den on the way to Bluemoon Tower, there are some underground chest blocked by locked gates. Do those gates require skeleton keys every time you visit them, or only when you unlock them the first time?

God it'd be nice if the skeleton key was infinite use like in Dark Souls.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kingtheninja posted:

The triple-headed, two-handed hammer is pretty boss.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

I loved Dark/Demon's Souls and I love Monster Hunter. I should probably get this, huh.
Yes absolutely.

Edit: Does newgame+ have anything a fresh game doesn't or is it really just "go back to start"?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lotish posted:

In the bandit den on the way to Bluemoon Tower, there are some underground chest blocked by locked gates. Do those gates require skeleton keys every time you visit them, or only when you unlock them the first time?

God it'd be nice if the skeleton key was infinite use like in Dark Souls.
Pretty sure you need skeleton keys everytime.
To be fair, the chests do respawn their loot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

coyo7e posted:

The triple-headed, two-handed hammer is pretty boss.

Triple Tooth is amazing. It looks enough like a staff that my warrior can claim to be a "muscle mage" when he wears his mummers outfit, wolf cloak and circlet. It is boss.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nahxela posted:

There's a locked door in Windbluff. It has some chests in it.

Where is windbluff?

I wish there was a newgame+ where I Could start again but with port stones. I'm not even at postgame yet after 30 hours but I'm sick of running through the loving canyon

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Fuzz posted:

yes, definitely

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Scott Bakula posted:

Where is windbluff?

I wish there was a newgame+ where I Could start again but with port stones. I'm not even at postgame yet after 30 hours but I'm sick of running through the loving canyon
It's that little fort that's north of Gran Soren.
In NG+ you can buy Port Crystals for 200k each at Black Cat. I think you can only set up 9, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

Where is windbluff?

Yeah to hell with that canyon. I always take the side pass on the right after you pass the bridge into the canyon. That goes a lot faster than winding up past all the harpies and the house. Otherwise I just take the quarry.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lotish posted:

They stay unlocked after the first time.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Mystic Knight is supremely satisfying to play after a few vocation ranks. Trying to get a Perfect Block timed is tricky enough to be fun, and the reward is blowing the crap out of your attacker with shield magic.

Does each class climb on dudes differently? Strider is supposed to be the best for it, but I imagine Ranger is pretty alright. How well does an Assassin climb?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

"Bad Business":

I helped Madeline escape, and even gave her traveling money. Does she actually open up shop again somewhere?

She does, but you have to advance the plot pretty far for it to happen. More exactly: near-ending spoilers-- after you defeat the dragon and the world is all weird she moves to Cassardis and (so far anyways) has set up shop right by the inkeeper.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Marogareh posted:

No wonder my High Maelstroms and High Bolides were doing gently caress all to him. I went before as strider hundred kissing away and i barely did any damage at all too. If anyone is on the PS3 version and needs the sword I can trade it for the black mask since it's the only thing I'm missing from it. PSN is the same as my name.

Yeah, something is funny with the Ur on the Xbox at least. I've fought him a couple seperate times today, and it seems like I'm doing a lot less damage to him then I used to. Also, he seems to be gaining health back in between my runs. I have no idea what that's about, but it's not cool.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I forgot, does forged equipment still provide the original's stats? Like, a forged armor with 50 defense will still provide that 50 defense? I found a robe that I doubt I'll see another copy for a long time.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Schubalts posted:

I forgot, does forged equipment still provide the original's stats? Like, a forged armor with 50 defense will still provide that 50 defense? I found a robe that I doubt I'll see another copy for a long time.
Can you forge equipment? I'm inclined to say that you can't.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's funny that out of all the weapons/armor I wish was in this game, the thing I want most is some god drat pants. They should've had the default "naked" model have long underwear on or something, or not made a bunch of the leg clothing items just a pair of underwear and some socks. It's kind of awkward having my assassin running around in sweet looking armor, and randomly showing like 10 inches of naked thigh because my options are either that or wearing red stockings with stupid shoes that make me look like some sort of drunk christmas elf.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VDay posted:

It's funny that out of all the weapons/armor I wish was in this game, the thing I want most is some god drat pants. They should've had the default "naked" model have long underwear on or something, or not made a bunch of the leg clothing items just a pair of underwear and some socks. It's kind of awkward having my assassin running around in sweet looking armor, and randomly showing like 10 inches of naked thigh because my options are either that or wearing red stockings with stupid shoes that make me look like some sort of drunk christmas elf.

The real Dragon's Dogma starts here.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
GodDAMN this game is good. I was literally shocked by how much fun and not-JRPG it's turned out to be. Not that the two are directly related but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, it's interesting that Japan managed to produce a far better WRPG than most WRPG companies in recent memory.

Seems like most people have finished or are way past this by now, but if anyone mid-game needs a level 50ish warrior pawn, hire my Fezzik. He IS the Brute Squad. I just wish I could have trained him to answer in rhymes. v:shobon:v

XBL is Digger254

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

DrNutt posted:

Huh, the more you know I guess.

I knew about Mystic Knight but I thought the only shields they got were big ugly tower shields.

Don't talk poo poo about the tower shields, they're amazing.

VVV
It's in a chest at the Shadow Fort you have to jump down from the north battlements to reach.

losonti tokash fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm guessing the wolf hat is super rare since I've only seen a total of one person using it. I'd be using that all the time if i could find it but it's probably class specific like the glorious bucket helm.

• Locked thread