Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I think chase minifigs are a terrible idea and would lead to a massive bubble in the entire minifig economy. It would also make them impossible to find in stores and mean that pretty much the only way to get collectable minifigs would be ordering from shop.lego.com and having to pay shipping and not get to try to feel for the ones you want, or having to buy them from speculators on bricklink for an insane markup.

Character did it with their Doctor Who minis and it made the second series much harder to import. So much so that Diamond couldn't secure any for import and will be skipping to series 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Local Target had Buy One get one 50% for Dinos, Ninjago, and Hero Factory. Really tempted to go pick up that sweet loving Ninjago snake jeep thing.

Picked up two little Hero Factory dudes because one is a shark and is almost cool. Gonna mash my three Hero Factory dudes together and make something this weekend, I think.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
WH Smiths in the UK has buy one get one half price on Lego at the moment too.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sockser posted:

Local Target had Buy One get one 50% for Dinos, Ninjago, and Hero Factory. Really tempted to go pick up that sweet loving Ninjago snake jeep thing.

Picked up two little Hero Factory dudes because one is a shark and is almost cool. Gonna mash my three Hero Factory dudes together and make something this weekend, I think.

So that brings the cost of the Dino sets down to a normal price, then? (I know, I know, giant loving triceratops is a lot of plastic, etc.)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Went to Barnes and Noble and ended up a pile of space marines without even trying much. I'll trade two of them. I need:

bagpiper
bride
bunny man

I could also offer up a Viking Fat Lady.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

So that brings the cost of the Dino sets down to a normal price, then? (I know, I know, giant loving triceratops is a lot of plastic, etc.)

That much plastic is a trivial cost, really. The molds to make it, not so much. :eng101:

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I have an question. Do larger sets or smaller sets get more frequent or larger discounts as a line ages, or is it almost always percentage based?

I'm asking because I may end up getting the entire Monster Fighters line. My plan right now is to buy everything from The Crazy Scientist on down now and get Ghost Train & Vampyre Castle at a later date when they go on sale or TRU does a bogo 1/2 off deal. Or, should I reverse this and get the two large sets now and possibly save more in the future on the smaller sets?

Obviously, if most sales are a flat percentage rate this is a moot point.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Dr. Benway posted:

I have an question. Do larger sets or smaller sets get more frequent or larger discounts as a line ages, or is it almost always percentage based?

I'm asking because I may end up getting the entire Monster Fighters line. My plan right now is to buy everything from The Crazy Scientist on down now and get Ghost Train & Vampyre Castle at a later date when they go on sale or TRU does a bogo 1/2 off deal. Or, should I reverse this and get the two large sets now and possibly save more in the future on the smaller sets?

Obviously, if most sales are a flat percentage rate this is a moot point.

Sales are almost always percentage based, so your best bet for maximizing the sale is to find out which sets have the highest cost/piece ratio. For example, The Werewolf set is $20/243, or ~$0.08/piece. The Ghost Train is $80/741, or ~$0.108/piece. If you were to buy two Ghost Trains during a BOGO 50% off sale, you would bring the cost down to ~$0.08/piece, which is inline with the smaller set when it's not on sale. You would also be saving $40 buying the two big sets on sale, while you'd only save $10 if you bought two $20 sets.

So, the short answer is if you have to buy any of the sets now, only get the smaller/cheaper sets and save the big ones for a sale. The money you save buying big during a sale will make up for buying the smaller sets at full price.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Thank you. It also solves the issue that parents are probably more likely to buy the smaller sets for their kids making them more scarce when the sale hits.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

I'm in the same boat for Monster Fighters and already sprung for the smaller sets. Hopefully TRU does a bogo 1/2 off soon, haven't had one for a bit now.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
New Creator sets are up on shop.lego.com

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Creator-ByTheme

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The new VIP pack is a bunch of minifigs from the the older series. Definitely picking that up for the elf I still don't have.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

The Rage posted:

The new VIP pack is a bunch of minifigs from the the older series. Definitely picking that up for the elf I still don't have.

Still call bs on some of those choices. Like, the mummy.

Anyone else seeing these collection packs in Sales & Deals for Monster Collection & LotR?
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Collection-5001132

Not really that much of a 'deal' but kind of an odd thing for them to do.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Yeah, so strange. I never knew it was an especially sought after minifigure in the first place (I love the mummy, don't get me wrong), plus there are mummies in the Pharaoh line AND one in Monster Fighters. I realize they're all different, but still weird to include.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Anyone else seeing these collection packs in Sales & Deals for Monster Collection & LotR?
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Collection-5001132

Not really that much of a 'deal' but kind of an odd thing for them to do.

I've seen bundles in the past for Indiana Jones, Space Police, and a few others, but it's only three or four sets. They're usually tucked away some where odd on the website. Also, in the fine print you can get double vip points for the LOTR and Monster Fighters bundles.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Benway posted:

I've seen bundles in the past for Indiana Jones, Space Police, and a few others, but it's only three or four sets. They're usually tucked away some where odd on the website. Also, in the fine print you can get double vip points for the LOTR and Monster Fighters bundles.

The Marvel Bionicle sets are double points too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

mattfl posted:

Anyone wanna trade some series 7 mini figs? I need 4 more to complete the series.

Aztec Warrior
Bunny Man
Computer Geek ( Would like 2 of these )
King of the sea dude.

I have

s7
2x hippies
Space Marine
Black Knight
Caveman

I've also got a couple Roman Warrior guys from S6 as well as $$$. The trading thread is pretty dead so I thought I'd post in here. Thanks!

Few pages back; I have two Aztec Warriors I am willing trade both off or just one of them. I also have a Star Scream Mini Figure from the Kreoo Transformer Set if anybody is interested. Hit me up with a PM or e-mail me at Willetts2222 over at gmail.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Best set name: 30200: Zombie chauffeur coffin car

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

And Jacob Marley as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

This was a bad idea. I did not realize they never fixed this impossible to separate combination in all those years since it began. It was absolutely impossible to budge, I made dents in my fingers that were there for hours afterward trying to pry them apart. Therefore, time to call in the big guns!

Eh, there's a million more neon green cones out there.

I got my Hulk, 11 S7 pouches and Deadpool Copter today! But Helicopters are for chumps, and Deadpool ain't no chump. He's more of a Flying Car type of guy. You've probably heard of his buddy, Brick Daddy.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

That grill is great.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

This needs all the votes.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
That's a pretty boss flying car--

Oh poo poo! That's loving great! I want the LDD so I can order the pieces!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Dr. Benway posted:

And Jacob Marley as well.

I would buy this set ina heartbeat.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
There's a LotR orc polybag thing too, for all your army building needs. He comes with a halberd and a flick-missile ballista.

Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe
A bit late I know, but for us Brits Smyths and Toys R Us are having a 20% off sale this bank holiday. With Toys R Us markup you probably aren't going to save much or anything, but Smyths have some decent price cuts already before you take the 20% into account. The popular sets have already gone from mail order but if you've got a local store you might find some bargains. Their website will give you an estimate of local stock, and if you reserve it and it isn't in stock when you turn up, they give you a voucher or something. Worth a look, though stock seems to vary massively between stores.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

This was a bad idea. I did not realize they never fixed this impossible to separate combination in all those years since it began. It was absolutely impossible to budge, I made dents in my fingers that were there for hours afterward trying to pry them apart. Therefore, time to call in the big guns!

Eh, there's a million more neon green cones out there.
gently caress, I haven't touched Legos for like 20 years and I still remember this bastard combination.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
:siren:Attention Ausgoons!:siren: The Lord of the Rings sets (and the new Star Wars ones, but I don't care that much) have started to arrive. I just got Weathertop at Myer, where they also had the two Helm's Deep sets. TRU has started advertising them too.

Also, the Myer at the Canberra Centre has 3 sets of the Tower Bridge and one of the VW minibus, if you feel like avoiding the shipping costs.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Krazyface posted:

:siren:Attention Ausgoons!:siren: The Lord of the Rings sets (and the new Star Wars ones, but I don't care that much) have started to arrive. I just got Weathertop at Myer, where they also had the two Helm's Deep sets. TRU has started advertising them too.

Also, the Myer at the Canberra Centre has 3 sets of the Tower Bridge and one of the VW minibus, if you feel like avoiding the shipping costs.

Last week the only thing I could find out about the release was one site saying Sept 17. This is good news.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-04/world-lego-attempt-at-bridge-fails/4051516

Bridge collapses, dismembering many minifigs.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Finally getting around to giving the SSD a proper underside. Merely experimenting with look and more importantly, how to mount the drat thing. I don't really like the type of hinge I used there, but I don't have any of the kind used for the topside. A setup like this might be even better.

Bonus jackstands for extra work height.

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......
Wife surprised me with the VW Bus after watching me look at it for year. I should be so good for her gifts.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
This sounds kinda neat... too bad I'll probably never have a Wii U:

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/06/10/lego-city-stories-announced-exclusively-for-wii-u-and-3ds-lego-gta-is-more-like-it.htm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As incredible as that Lego game looks(and sounds!), Nintendo's E3 conference was such a travesty after the initially Pikmin 3 + Miyamoto intro that I have to question the point of the WiiU entirely. But that's a discussion for a different forum.

Suffice to say, I am super bummed that that game is WiiU exclusive.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

As incredible as that Lego game looks(and sounds!), Nintendo's E3 conference was such a travesty after the initially Pikmin 3 + Miyamoto intro that I have to question the point of the WiiU entirely. But that's a discussion for a different forum.

Suffice to say, I am super bummed that that game is WiiU exclusive.

Weren't you listening? Reggie said that developers around the world see the vast promise of Wii U! Vast. Promise.

In all seriousness I completely agree. Hearing a game will be Nintendo exclusive is code for "most likely its gonna be poo poo."

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Torael_7 posted:

Finally getting around to giving the SSD a proper underside. Merely experimenting with look and more importantly, how to mount the drat thing. I don't really like the type of hinge I used there, but I don't have any of the kind used for the topside. A setup like this might be even better.

The 6211 star destroyer and 8039 venator destroyer use decent ways to mount plates that can work for the underside. It works way better than the magnets did in the UCS star destroyer and might work for your underside if you have the parts laying around.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The trailer had a Matrix joke in it. In 2012. I don't have high hopes for that game.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

The 6211 star destroyer and 8039 venator destroyer use decent ways to mount plates that can work for the underside. It works way better than the magnets did in the UCS star destroyer and might work for your underside if you have the parts laying around.

After fiddling with it some more I realized that what I'm probably going to do is just build another A-frame that will be entirely internal and attach it the same way they did on the top. :toot:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The 6211 Star Destroyer has the flimsiest loving base ever and its almost essential to reinforce it with larger plates. As much as I love that thing, I'm terrified of holding it up and moving it to the kitchen table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I think chase minifigs are a terrible idea and would lead to a massive bubble in the entire minifig economy. It would also make them impossible to find in stores and mean that pretty much the only way to get collectable minifigs would be ordering from shop.lego.com and having to pay shipping and not get to try to feel for the ones you want, or having to buy them from speculators on bricklink for an insane markup.

I didn't say I'd love to see it or that I think it's a great idea or anything, I'm just saying I'm suprised that they have had the restraint not to do it so far.