Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Can anyone tell me the name of a game, where you played as some cat creature whose home planet had been invaded by aliens, and he had either stolen or been given these claw gauntlet things as weapons? You could also scale walls with them, and there was a day and night cycle. It was a platformer IIRC, and was probably from about the mid to late 90s. Thanks.

[e]: Found it by searching for games with day and night cycles. It's called Vexx.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I played an RTS game for the computer back in the day. I think it came out around 1998-2001 or so. I remember starting with cavemen then having your cavemen go pick berries or something. Also you could send it after a deer and he would pull out a spear and try to kill it. Then the animal would die and you'd have to delegate cavemen to go harvest its meat. I remember killing an elephant or something and harvesting meat forever all the way across the map. I'm pretty sure its not Empire Earth.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

KyloWinter posted:

I played an RTS game for the computer back in the day. I think it came out around 1998-2001 or so. I remember starting with cavemen then having your cavemen go pick berries or something. Also you could send it after a deer and he would pull out a spear and try to kill it. Then the animal would die and you'd have to delegate cavemen to go harvest its meat. I remember killing an elephant or something and harvesting meat forever all the way across the map. I'm pretty sure its not Empire Earth.

Age of Empires.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I used to play this game that was entirely browser-based, and a whole lot like Diablo. I think it was Russian-made or something, and was based around your character climbing the levels of a tower or something? If nobody knows, a similar kind of game would be awesome - i'm looking for something Diablo-like to play in a browser.

edit: it had a one-word title. I want to say it started with an A, was Ak-something or Av-something, but I could be waaaaay off.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 22, 2012

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
This is inspired by Steam putting Thief up for sale.

I was showing my gf some gameplay videos, and she remembers playing a similar game that she can't remember the name of.

Things we know

1) It was a third person stealth game, on the PC.
2) The protagonist was a bald asian man.
3) There is a death scene for the character where, if you're caught sneaking, you see yourself strapped to a chair while some guards beat you up.

Anyone know what this might be? Thanks!

e: She stepped out for a couple hours, I'll show her second sight when she gets back. Don't think it's Hitman, because she said that once the guards saw her it was impossible to get away, whereas I remember playing Hitman and blasting away guards. Actually, watching the Second Sight gameplay now it looks too combat-y from what she was describing.

What Fun fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 23, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

poo poo, that sounds really familiar.

Did Hitman: Codename 47 have "captured" cutscenes like that? It's been ages since I played it, but I don't think so. (Although there is a scene in one of the early levels where you find someone else being beaten by the guards...)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Second Sight, maybe? I don't recall whether or not there's a death scene like that.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Update: She says it looked very similar to Hitman: Codename 47, but that's not quite it. It's not Second Sight. Thanks for the responses, if anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Whats the name of the puzzle game that was on the first PlayStation demo(maybe 98 I've never played the full version) that has you controlling a character on a platform that was divided into boxes. At the start of the game blocks tumble to the end of the platform and you have to mark the squares on the platform to destroy the blocks as they pass. The objective was to clear all the blocks before they fell off the platform. If you fell off the platform or lost to many blocks off the edge, the game would end then give you a IQ score or something like that. I loved that game and I wish I could play it.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Kurushi/IQ:Intelligent Qube http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Qube

Fantastic game.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Thats it! It was a great game. I see there is a mobile version but only for Japan. :(

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mr Cynicism posted:

Thats it! It was a great game. I see there is a mobile version but only for Japan. :(
Hope's Quest for iOS is a clone, and is currently free. I've installed it, but haven't tried it yet.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Popular Human posted:

I used to play this game that was entirely browser-based, and a whole lot like Diablo. I think it was Russian-made or something, and was based around your character climbing the levels of a tower or something? If nobody knows, a similar kind of game would be awesome - i'm looking for something Diablo-like to play in a browser.

edit: it had a one-word title. I want to say it started with an A, was Ak-something or Av-something, but I could be waaaaay off.

http://www.smokymonkeys.com/triglav/ ?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I love this game's FAQ.

quote:

Can't play the game, game is so slow

See the System Requirements page at first. If you are running other softwares and web broswers when you play TRIGLAV, close it. To check your computer's performance easily, launch Windows Task Manager when you are playing TRIGLAV, and look a CPU Using when you move your character. If the performance is already over 80% to 100%, TRIGLAV is so much slow on your computer. To play faster, you need more good computer.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Funkmaster General posted:

To play faster, you need more good computer.

I can't be the only one that read that answer in the voice of Peggy from the Captial One/USA Prime Credit ads.

Really, every game should have that in its FAQ.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My cousins had this PC game. It was a 2-D platformer, where your character could drop bombs which would actually destroy the environment. There were several different kinds; I think blue were the weakest/smallest, green were a little stronger, red were stronger than that, and there was this blue nuke-thing that would destroy half the map.

The game was in Spanish, I think. Most of the levels just had normal enemies who you had to throw bombs at, although there was this one later on that had a giant floating green crab, which may have been invincible. It sort of wandered around the map. Different music would play whenever it was on the screen.

This is all 1998-2000 or so, by the way.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
Long shot: There was an indie game I used to play on PC ~8 years ago. It was a multiplayer game where each player controlled a different colour of sand (or particles that resembled sand) and by covering your opponent's sand you would change it to your colour.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

jopo posted:

Long shot: There was an indie game I used to play on PC ~8 years ago. It was a multiplayer game where each player controlled a different colour of sand (or particles that resembled sand) and by covering your opponent's sand you would change it to your colour.
Liquid War?

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

Wow that's it. Thanks so much!

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

:aaa: holy gently caress THAT'S IT. I thought that was the longest of longshots. Thanks!

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 25, 2012

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Okay, I have one that's been brewing for a long time...

I believe that it is a SNES game, but at the worst it is definitely a console game because the mate whom I used to watch play it did not have a computer.

It was a somewhat traditional RPG that I recall being very dungeon-crawl based using a first-person, Might & Magic-type perspective with what I think were 6 characters in your party, but this part is vague. It had something to do with cards - I vaguely remember every character and monster being portrayed as such and this system might have had something to do with spells as well. The only other thing that I remember is my friend casting some sort of Earth-based spells and a bunch of small rocks pounding his enemies.

Not much to go on, but there you are. Much obliged for any insight.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

JustJeff88 posted:

Okay, I have one that's been brewing for a long time...

I believe that it is a SNES game, but at the worst it is definitely a console game because the mate whom I used to watch play it did not have a computer.

It was a somewhat traditional RPG that I recall being very dungeon-crawl based using a first-person, Might & Magic-type perspective with what I think were 6 characters in your party, but this part is vague. It had something to do with cards - I vaguely remember every character and monster being portrayed as such and this system might have had something to do with spells as well. The only other thing that I remember is my friend casting some sort of Earth-based spells and a bunch of small rocks pounding his enemies.

Not much to go on, but there you are. Much obliged for any insight.

Arcana. Never played but I vividly remember the playing card motif. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcana_%28video_game%29

Golbez fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 29, 2012

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
There's this indie freeware platformer-shooter, loosely based on the creator's nightmares. Its graphics are low-res and all in black, white, and red. The title is something like "All Of My Friends Are Dead" or "Everyone I Know Is Dead". Someone's dead, I remember that much.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
All of our friends are dead.

edit: Working download http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5395.0 .

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 29, 2012

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Humphrey Vasel posted:

All of our friends are dead.
One word off! Needed to be plural instead of singular!

Thanks. I don't know why that game just popped into my head all of a sudden, but I just needed to find it again.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Not sure if you guys do arcade games, but it's worth a shot. This is a game I remember from the late 90s/early 00s. It's an arena shooter where you're on a red and a blue team, and you run around the arena, shooting your enemies, and collecting the crystals they drop (the point of the game was to have the most crystals by the end of the round). It had a camera for each player, and took your picture to go along with your high score. I can never remember the name of it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

liquid courage posted:

It had a camera for each player, and took your picture to go along with your high score.

Worst idea ever.

I mean if people are going to put in their initials as "rear end" and "DIK," imagine what a field day they'd have with that feature.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Funkmaster General posted:

Worst idea ever.

I mean if people are going to put in their initials as "rear end" and "DIK," imagine what a field day they'd have with that feature.
Refer to the arcade version of Journey Escape. (E: Journey Escape was the Atari one, whoops)

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 30, 2012

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

liquid courage posted:

Not sure if you guys do arcade games, but it's worth a shot. This is a game I remember from the late 90s/early 00s. It's an arena shooter where you're on a red and a blue team, and you run around the arena, shooting your enemies, and collecting the crystals they drop (the point of the game was to have the most crystals by the end of the round). It had a camera for each player, and took your picture to go along with your high score. I can never remember the name of it.

If the controllers looked like guns, it's 'Gunmen Wars'

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 29, 2012

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Golbez posted:

Arcana. Never played but I vividly remember the playing card motif. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcana_%28video_game%29

That is exactly that. Thank you very much.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I used to play an arcade game in the early 90s. It was a Neo-Geo/Sega-era platformer, multiplayer (I think) and had several human characters that were part of some sort of "team." It was a futuristic game similar to Super Contra and Metal Slug, but much more colorful and less "dark."

The one thing I remember about the game was that it had a soundtrack that was either licensed, or a very close ripoff of several Van Halen songs, especially "Jump." The one chunk of music I remember sounded exactly like this part of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlq0lYB3iSM&t=150s

That's really all I can remember about the game. Damnit, I've wanted to find this game for years.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Quartet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcEDEGeRlcg

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Wow holy poo poo, that is it. You guys are fast.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Google's giving me no joy with this one. It was somewhat like an RTS, 2D, controlling what I can describe best as dandelion seeds. You sent them from circle to circle, like dandelion centres or planets, and when you sent them into these circles more seeds would grow out. Each of these circles grew seeds with a differing mixture of the characteristics speed, attack strength, and health, represented by the shape of the seed (I think ones with more health were bigger, speedier ones had longer stems, and so on) as opposed to any numbers. It also had a kind of minimalistic soundtrack, and the background and planets were just differing shades of pinky-beige iirc.

Have been looking through this thread for it with no success, it was posted in a thread in Games around late 2008, early 2009 about recommending free downloadable games and it was reasonably popular. Believe it was made in that general time period as well.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 1, 2012

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's Dyson. Or Eufloria, which are the same game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dixie Flatline posted:

It's Dyson. Or Eufloria, which are the same game.

Specifically, the freeware flash version is/was Dyson, and the longer commercial version on Steam is Eufloria.

There are also dozens of other games, both free and non, with identical gameplay but different aesthetics.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Two for you:

1) I owned this game on PC probably somewhere around fifteen years ago. It was a side-scrolling fantasy game with a limited color palette (I remember a lot of things being shades of blue outside of a few things in various colors). The sprites in the action sequences were (as I recall) all solid black. You fought with a sword and were constantly fighting things in the action sequences. You also had to pick things up to make magic elements, which you could then use to power spells. The object of the game was to trade stuff (mana or artifacts) to wizards in their towers for other artifacts which did something or another. You could also fast-travel from your tower to any tower you'd been to (I think) on a dragon, which had its own side-scrolling action sequence. I could swear this had been found in a previous thread like years ago, but I don't have archives.

2) There was an edutainment series on the Apple II computer line that came in clamshell cases. I keep wanting to say it was like the Microzine line, but I'm not sure. All I remember is that one of the disks had a game on it where you were taught basic set theory (union and intersection) by lassoing cacti, and one of the disks (maybe the same one) had a typing game on it where every word you typed correctly lowered a pylon that allowed a robot to continue to the end of the screen (duckfarts' quest for the typing game reminded me of this). If you were too slow, the robot would crash. I think the same line of disks had a Choose Your Own Adventure-style "game" (something like the Microzine Twistaplot thing) on some of them, and the one I remember involved being President and you could do all kinds of weird things like playing water polo with talking dolphins and using a hula hoop as a helicopter.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
The first one sounds like Blade Warrior.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

beef express posted:

The first one sounds like Blade Warrior.

Bingo. I have no idea how I never found it in the Mobygames search.

It actually looks better than I remember.

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRANKWHORE
Dec 16, 2011

HYENGH HYENGH HYENGH
This is an old one, and based off a very bleary grade school memory.

An ibm/pc game featuring cats. You played as a cat and wandered around a neighborhood, on rooftops and into buildings. Similar to Adventure for Atari 2600 (with no vertical scrolling between screens). It was loaded on my school's computers circa 1988, no idea how old it was then (Though considering it was the Florida public school system I'll bet it was not cutting edge technology)