Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugenics
Mar 25, 2007
Because I'm better than you
Normally that's because the class is curved. If the class is curved, the average is usually set to a B-/C+. So if you have a really difficult class, normally class averages might be in the 30%-40% range. Set that as your B-/C+ and then one standard deviation above and below are your A's and D's. This is usually how it works in science and engineering classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
Yeah I am aware of curves etc., however at DLI it all seems to be done arbitrarily with no real thought put into it. Also it is the only language class I have ever been in where the teachers say you can't get an A in speaking because that would mean you were a native speaker. As well as stuff along the lines of I know you put a lot of work into your project and you did a great job but you are getting a B because you are a B student and therefore your grade on everything has to be a B.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #76
Captain “Digger” Boomerang

"The Golden Glider wasn’t th
^^ Quoted for truth. My experiences as an NCO student at DLI was that the civilian facility was given far too much lee way and the cadre in the form of MLIs (mostly USAF) were ROAD and gave no fucks. If I can get back to DLI I'd like to get an MLI slot and try and change things around in my own little area.

Why different languages have different grading standards is beyond me.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Subjectively speaking, I was at my best grade-wise when I had no mandatory poo poo to deal with outside of class and I was able to chill with my (very hot) Taiwanese teacher after class and just bullshit in Chinese. I found that studying was more relaxing and less of a chore when it wasn't something that some non-educator deemed mandatory.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

Godmachine posted:

Subjectively speaking, I was at my best grade-wise when I had no mandatory poo poo to deal with outside of class and I was able to chill with my (very hot) Taiwanese teacher after class and just bullshit in Chinese. I found that studying was more relaxing and less of a chore when it wasn't something that some non-educator deemed mandatory.

I did the night study hall regardless of my GPA standing. I knew as a HUMINTer I had to get at least a 2 in speaking to meet graduation requirements, so I stayed voluntarily for seventh hour and completed the home work. I then went home, ate dinner, changed to civilian clothes, relaxed for a bit, and then went back to night class. I spent 30-45 minutes going over the homework, then an hour or so on speaking practice, and then left. It really helped.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

SirEverlast posted:

I did the night study hall regardless of my GPA standing. I knew as a HUMINTer I had to get at least a 2 in speaking to meet graduation requirements, so I stayed voluntarily for seventh hour and completed the home work. I then went home, ate dinner, changed to civilian clothes, relaxed for a bit, and then went back to night class. I spent 30-45 minutes going over the homework, then an hour or so on speaking practice, and then left. It really helped.

Same here. Same job, too, so I get it. Had it been mandatory, I probably would have just failed out so I could go home and get out of my contract then go to MIIS as a civilian.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

quote:

Had it been mandatory, I probably would have just failed out so I could go home and get out of my contract then go to MIIS as a civilian.

I had to reenlist to get my language, and so failing out wasn't an option for me, as I would still have to serve out the rest of my obligation. Now that I've graduated and given the .mil a year in Afghanistan using my language, I feel like I've satisfied my obligation to them in that respect.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns with the amount of time spent in class during a day, and I think DLI could use a bit more focus on each individual student's weakness. When I first started, everyone was having problem with listening, but the remedial stuff seemed to focus around reading. Go figure.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

SirEverlast posted:

I had to reenlist to get my language, and so failing out wasn't an option for me, as I would still have to serve out the rest of my obligation. Now that I've graduated and given the .mil a year in Afghanistan using my language, I feel like I've satisfied my obligation to them in that respect.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns with the amount of time spent in class during a day, and I think DLI could use a bit more focus on each individual student's weakness. When I first started, everyone was having problem with listening, but the remedial stuff seemed to focus around reading. Go figure.

This reminds me of a interesting point: My listening level was far below what it should have been going into the third semester. My reading and speaking were through the roof but I couldn't listen to save my life. When I started having one-to-one tutoring with the lead teacher, my grades improved dramatically and I was able to go from a 1 to a 2+ in about 4 months. This is because she figured out a method specifically for me and HOLY poo poo! it worked.

(The method was based off the fact that my reading and speaking were great. She didn't understand why I was able to speak so well but couldn't understand the same things spoken to me. Her method was to to have me read characters aloud for a paragraph/sentence then translate back to English, which further helped my reading a little more, but it also allowed me to make mental connections with an unfamiliar sound and the translated English word.)

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

I'm sitting next to a dude in Starbucks with a Powerpoint open about the Differences in Management within DLIFLC Headquarters, Arabic, and Pashto Departments.

GreenMeat, if that's you, I apologize for screenwatching.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

The Betrayer posted:

I'm sitting next to a dude in Starbucks with a Powerpoint open about the Differences in Management within DLIFLC Headquarters, Arabic, and Pashto Departments.

GreenMeat, if that's you, I apologize for screenwatching.

Hell no dude, I'm in Arizona. If you walked by the Bn S3 office this morning, though, you might have heard me on his speaker phone.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

The Betrayer posted:

...the Differences in Management within DLIFLC Headquarters, every single language department.

This sounds like a PhD thesis. Downside (upside?) of having native speakers teach every language I guess. Sitting for an hour or two in the cubicle spaces of the Euro teachers is a study in cultural differences on the continent, and that's only a few European languages.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

GreenMeat posted:

Hell no dude, I'm in Arizona. If you walked by the Bn S3 office this morning, though, you might have heard me on his speaker phone.

It's a slightly overweight older guy with a military haircut, it was worth a guess. :colbert:

Also, part of his clipart is a stick figure chasing a dollar attached to his head.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Got read the memo today by the CO that basically said you are never ever getting a waiver ever for DLPT scores. Since now it has to go up to the MI center of excellence or whatever the gently caress that is.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

Got read the memo today by the CO that basically said you are never ever getting a waiver ever for DLPT scores. Since now it has to go up to the MI center of excellence or whatever the gently caress that is.

Wow. I'm surprised they got the word out that quickly; I just held the teleconference about the change in waiver policy yesterday.

If you want more detail as to why this has come to pass, PM me.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

faddypaddy posted:

Thank loving god. 2/2 is itself a bullshit score anyways, and DLI was turning out fuckers with silly poo poo like 0+/1 as "linguists." Sorry, if you're not at least a 2/2 by the end of your course, you LIKELY don't have what it takes.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

TheUnhorse posted:

Thank loving god. 2/2 is itself a bullshit score anyways, and DLI was turning out fuckers with silly poo poo like 0+/1 as "linguists." Sorry, if you're not at least a 2/2 by the end of your course, you LIKELY don't have what it takes.

1+/1+ has been the minimum requirement for waivers for 35P since forever.

RooskyRex
Aug 22, 2009

You only wish you had a trashcan like mine

faddypaddy posted:

Air Force hasn't been giving out waivers for DLPT scores for years now. Like someone said above, if you can't get a 2/2 by the time you finish your language then you really shouldn't get a reprieve.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

GreenMeat posted:

Greenmeat are you primarily stationed at Fort Knox?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

SirEverlast posted:

Greenmeat are you primarily stationed at Fort Knox?

I am not primarily, secondarily or tertiarily stationed at Fort Knox. I also owe you an answer concerning 35M and language, but to be honest nobody's figured out how that's going to work.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

Cool I'll shoot another PM to you and see if you can give me career guidance if you have the time.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

GreenMeat posted:

I heard talk that the strat unit down at Gordon had a 0+/1+ on the gains roster.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

TheUnhorse posted:

I heard talk that the strat unit down at Gordon had a 0+/1+ on the gains roster.

I have a 3-year rollup from HRC of every approved DLI 35P DLPT waiver. None were below 1+/1+, but INSCOM has their own roster that shows a handful that reported in with scores lower than that. I don't know if they tested again in the interim between leaving DLI and reporting in to their unit and got worse, or what.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

GreenMeat posted:

I have a 3-year rollup from HRC of every approved DLI 35P DLPT waiver. None were below 1+/1+, but INSCOM has their own roster that shows a handful that reported in with scores lower than that. I don't know if they tested again in the interim between leaving DLI and reporting in to their unit and got worse, or what.

Ah gotcha.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
This thread seems pretty Army-heavy. I wonder if any of you were around in mid 06 and remember a guy, think he was an E4, named Chris Morgan. He was in Korean and he kind of had a breakdown after failing his DLPT and OPI for the second time (by more than the first time). He was the best speaker in my class, so it was DEFINITELY psychological. I heard he just completely flipped his poo poo, was pacing around gibbering at night outside Bravo.

I lost touch with him shortly before this stuff happened, never managed to track him down. He was a friend of mine and I was kind of worried. I just wonder if any of you know him or know of him and know if he was okay after that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Not DLI related, but a general mil-language question.

Have any of you guys, who have not attended DLI but have a DLPT score in a particular language, been contacted regarding deployments and/or assignments to different units? Had a junior Marine in my previous unit get offered (apparently out of the blue) a position at Joint POW/MIA account command because he got 3+/3+ on Korean. Would something like that happen for lower scores?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Not likely, I have a higher score than that in Russian, and was never contacted about it. Never heard of it happening to anyone else, either. However, I wouldn't be surprised, because they're not just giving you free money for being special; everyone with a high enough score is probably on a list somewhere.

Also, the new Pashto DLPT is the poo poo! I got 3/3 and know of 3 other Marines I went through DLI with who also got 3/3s recently.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

safetyStanddown posted:

Not likely, I have a higher score than that in Russian, and was never contacted about it. Never heard of it happening to anyone else, either. However, I wouldn't be surprised, because they're not just giving you free money for being special; everyone with a high enough score is probably on a list somewhere.

Also, the new Pashto DLPT is the poo poo! I got 3/3 and know of 3 other Marines I went through DLI with who also got 3/3s recently.

Awesome, I had only known one person prior to this to get a 3/3, and she was a prior Arabic 3/3 linguist.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
I just started the Levantine course today. Since when did prior service have to go through smart start? How many GD times do I have to prove to the Air Force that I know basic English? We went through this for DLI the first time, when we got to our first assignment we took another assessment, ALS, and now this again.

Levantine and Farsi have the highest washout rates for the two Air Force units here. The instructors are all "this will be lots of fun...no stress!" Riiiight.

These first term Airmen are having it rough nowadays. They're bunking up 3 to a room in up-the-hill dorms according to the shirt. I'm so grateful this time around that I don't have the distractions that they have to put up with.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

SirEverlast posted:

Awesome, I had only known one person prior to this to get a 3/3, and she was a prior Arabic 3/3 linguist.
That female Army SSG? I was just getting started with Pashto when she took that DLPT. Arabic most definitely helps with the upper level DLPT stuff, but the new multiple choice test gives you a fair chance if you don't have that skill set (hence all the 3/3s recently)

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

safetyStanddown posted:

That female Army SSG? I was just getting started with Pashto when she took that DLPT. Arabic most definitely helps with the upper level DLPT stuff, but the new multiple choice test gives you a fair chance if you don't have that skill set (hence all the 3/3s recently)

Yeah, she made it at mid semester DLPT, which made it even more impressive. Glad to hear the new DLPT doesn't suck.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Friday drunkpoast, MOS relevant

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 5, 2012

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Anyone else have their teaching team leader try to tell you when your class break is going to be? We hadn't met our MLI until yesterday, so I haven't tried to coordinate with him when the class break will be. Today our team lead walks in and tells our class that our break is coming up in October. We're three weeks into class and nobody wants to do this.

It is up to the class to decide when our break is, right? I came through as Spanish the first time so we didn't get one and the Levantine department is fubar so I am hoping this is a minor mistake on her part and not her trying to dick us over because she wants that week off.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

The teaching team leaders as far as I know set the class break. I have never heard anyone choosing. In fact most people I know had their class break scheduled over 4th of July week so they only miss 3 days of class. This is people who started class after and before I did. Ours is at the end of July and it was set for us. What school house are you in?

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Im in ME 2. Its weird because my roommate and another friend said their classes set the date.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

The students set the date, not the teachers. It is your break, not theirs. Get together as a class and then tell her when it is going to be (or tell your MLI is the better option.)

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

That's weird because my I don't know a single person who set there own class break. I am going to add I don't know a lot of people but I would say that among everyone I know in 6 - 9 different classes in ME2 none have set their own dates. This however doesn't mean much since DLI is the most inconsistent place on earth.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

Eh, I did it twice in Pashto. I can't think of one reason why the teachers would dictate leave, as they can take it whenever they like, but the students cannot.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah it is probably just one of those inconsistencies that DLI loves, like in ME2 any B- on any test and you are on 7th hour until the next test but in ME3 as long as you have above a 3.0 you are not on 7th hour etc. God I hate this place.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

Wild Guess #76

I loved DLI as a student. Far better than non-strat Army. YMMV. What was the lowest numerical score you could score without failing? In Pashto it was a 77.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

All right. I'll get with the MLI on Monday and let him know the deal. Our teaching team is back asswards. We can't get a simple answer on what score we need to get off 7th hour, there is one section that is full of dickheads who talk back to the teachers, and never do their homework. But instead of me breaking them up and moving the sections around...I get told I'm not in charge and it's not my issue...but the team lead comes to me at least three times a week to say "so and so didn't do his homework again" or "you need to help me out because so and so keeps talking back to me". Can't believe I'm saying this but I need an officer.

I do think below 75 is failing because I got a 78 on our first quiz because I wrote my numbers in English instead of Arabic and they were all marked wrong. When we went over it, I was told I passed,

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 2, 2012

• Locked thread