Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Cojawfee posted:

Why do you want to use SLI in the first place? The game came out seven years ago, it doesn't need two video cards.

Because using the newer shader mods to make the game look pretty does this:

blackguy32 posted:

Im using the one from the ENB website .0075c I think?

I tried using your ini settings but my game only went at about 15-20 FPS when I was outside. From your tinkering, what would you say is the biggest FPS hog?

So when I'm using 16x antialiasing and 32x anisotropic drags me down to the 40fps' and sometimes dips into the 30's.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Alouicious posted:

Are you sure downgrading isn't what's causing the crashes? I could barely get SA to start when I downgraded it, but it started working fine when I wiped and reinstalled it.

Nah, I downgraded BECAUSE of the crashes. I suppose it's been a while (few GPU driver updates) so I may try again but that's always the last chance saloon excuse isn't it.

update driverz...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
[SA] I've been in Las Venturas for some time now. Doing missions for Tenpenny, The Truth, Toreno, and Woozie. However that whole territory system and gang recruitment thing hasnt come back. How much longer until it does?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Avocados posted:

[SA] I've been in Las Venturas for some time now. Doing missions for Tenpenny, The Truth, Toreno, and Woozie. However that whole territory system and gang recruitment thing hasnt come back. How much longer until it does?
When you go back to Los Santos after the Venturas missions are over. Hope you didn't already spend too much time capturing territory because you'll have to do it all again.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Sounds like you're not yet into the meat of LV anyway. It's a big game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

moms pubis posted:

When you go back to Los Santos after the Venturas missions are over. Hope you didn't already spend too much time capturing territory because you'll have to do it all again.

That was one of the very few absolutely terrible missions that I didn't enjoy at all in that game. I did it the first time I played through SA, but it was grueling and tedious, so for every subsequent playthrough, I used a savegame that was saved right before the last mission, bypassing that stupid loving "reclaim your hood" mission.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I'm playing GTA IV, on the mission Paper Trail. I think my game is messed up.
I fly out so far and it just automatically says "You lost the target" and fails the mission for me.
I was looking right at the target helicopter though!

Edit: I guess I was just getting there too slow.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 31, 2012

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Samopsa posted:

Yeah guess I have a ways to go. I thought I got most of the missions done but now everyone wants me to do their dirty work for them. Speaking of dirty, That gimp mission :stare: Between this and Saints Row 3's take on it, i'm strangely hoping for one in GTAV.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 1, 2012

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Im using the ENB Configurator and while its generally pretty great, all the textures besides cars and people have this really shiny bumpy quality. It works good on the road but on everything else it basically looks like poo poo. Does anyone know how to get that disabled?

edit: Whoops, forgot to mention im talking about San Andreas.

HORMELCHILI fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 1, 2012

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

GAY RETARD posted:

Im using the ENB Configurator and while its generally pretty great, all the textures besides cars and people have this really shiny bumpy quality. It works good on the road but on everything else it basically looks like poo poo. Does anyone know how to get that disabled?

edit: Whoops, forgot to mention im talking about San Andreas.

On the Reflection tab, lower right hand side, ENV Bump Amount and ENV Bump Offset, changes the amount, and on the lower left side, "Use ENV Bump Mapping" to turn it on and off.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samopsa posted:

Yeah it takes like 6 hours at least to do the bare minimum needed to get from start to final mission, if you never gently caress up any missions etc.

Compare to the times needed to finish the bare minimum to reach and beat the final mission in the others:
GTA IV: About 4 and a half hours
GTA:VC: About 2 hours
GTA III: About an hour and fifteen minutes

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah it takes like 6 hours at least to do the bare minimum needed to get from start to final mission, if you never gently caress up any missions etc.

Compare to the times needed to finish the bare minimum to reach and beat the final mission in the others:
GTA IV: About 4 and a half hours
GTA:VC: About 2 hours
GTA III: About an hour and fifteen minutes
As long as we're comparing the size of the games...

quote:

Left: The original story and mission scripts from Grand Theft Auto III. Right: Seven years later - a glimpse of the voluminous Grand Theft Auto IV script.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have always been curious how SA's script would stack up there. I personally think about 60^of IV's sounds right.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I always wondered if they included pedestrian voices in that for GTA IV. I assume they did (and that SA had a similar amount.) After that it just comes down to exactly how many different convos IV had written for those buddy dates I never went on.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Zedicus Mann posted:

Those GTAIV pages are stacked suspiciously neat. :raise:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zedicus Mann posted:

Something I've always wondered about that pic is whether they included the stuff for TLAD and TBOGT in with the "plain" GTA IV stuff.

Zedd posted:

I have always been curious how SA's script would stack up there. I personally think about 60^of IV's sounds right.

I would not be surprised if SA's script was bigger than GTA IV's script, if TLAD and TBOGT were not counted in at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I look at it and the font size of the GTAIII script and wonder how the GTAIII one can be so small. Then I realized that in GTAIV, there are whole conversations going on between peds and some peds go off on entire rants. In GTAIII, it's pretty much one liners like "My mother's my sister" and that's it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

I would not be surprised if SA's script was bigger than GTA IV's script, if TLAD and TBOGT were not counted in at least.

Well GTAIV had a lot of optional dialogue if you factor in the fact that:

-A lot of missions had alternative dialogue if you replayed them.
-IV had television programs no one ever watched.
-Going out with friends yielded a lot of character dialogue.

So I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like that upped GTAIV's script quite a bit.

e: vvv Case in point. Next time you're in your safehouse try going up to the tv.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 2, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coolodile posted:

-IV had television programs no one ever watched.

Wait, what? Really? :stare:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, but only like two channels. So if you liked watching the same hours worth of programming then enjoy. Also around half of it was some fake infomercial where they were selling a set of knives.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, but only like two channels. So if you liked watching the same hours worth of programming then enjoy. Also around half of it was some fake infomercial where they were selling a set of knives.
There were more channels than that. And quite a few shows, Republican Space Rangers being the most memorable probably. Also you could roleplay Niko as a total goon and watch some of the standup gigs from TV instead of going to the club.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'd probably guess that a good portion of it is made up of radio stuff, weren't there different news reports you could hear after every mission? I wonder if e-mail/internet stuff would be included in that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you haven't watched Republican Space Rangers, there is something wrong with you.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

Yeah but only one of these has the line "My mother's my sister!"

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Coolodile posted:

-Going out with friends yielded a lot of character dialogue.
Not to mention how there were several different conversations you could get for various stages of the story.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, what? Really? :stare:

One of them is a loving hilarious anime called "Princess Robot Bubblegum." It's the funniest thing in the entire game.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

moms pubis posted:

One of them is a loving hilarious anime called "Princess Robot Bubblegum." It's the funniest thing in the entire game.
*Only in EFLC

DeusModus
Nov 25, 2003

I am not Ben Affleck.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'd probably guess that a good portion of it is made up of radio stuff, weren't there different news reports you could hear after every mission? I wonder if e-mail/internet stuff would be included in that.

Yes. News reports after every mission, and the Liberty Tree website reflects events as well.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

If you actually sit there and analyze it you can see just how much work they put on lots of the smaller details in game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Zedicus Mann posted:

If you actually sit there and analyze it you can see just how much work they put on lots of the smaller details in game.

Which in turn makes the people complaining that game devs are "lazy" for not implementing whatever feature look pretty drat stupid :colbert:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
In San Andreas the pedestrians would have "conversations" in that they repeated lines back and forth to each other. Sometimes they lined up, sometimes they didn't, but that only made it funnier.

wa27 posted:

That, and the guys at the docks doing Village People lines ("In the navy" and "there's a place you can go") will be in my head forever

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh man I'm having flashbacks to the GTA 3 lines.

I never figured out what one thing the Traids said. I clearly hear: No money, No Problem, somebody call a medic. But the one I can't hear correctly is: And the winner of the (can't understand the word) is.

Even though that script was huge in GTAIV, it just a bunch of boring crap nobody cared about. :colbert:

Script that huge and the radio still felt like a repeat. I didn't know if it was intentional, but anytime you do a mission, it "resets".

How do I know?

Cause this drat song always comes on.

RIDING with my top down

I can always tell because the DJ goes MR. C with Swizz Beatz!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

wa27 posted:

I SMOKE 'CAUSE IT GIVES ME KNOWLEDGE

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
After playing Max Payne 3, I am even more excited for GTA V, if they only keep some of the shooting mechanics and at least the window destruction, the next GTA is going to be even more awesome than it already is going to be.
I would actually free up two hundred GB just for GTA V if they asked me to. Of course no one could market a product like that and retail wouldn't work either.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SplitSoul posted:

I SMOKE 'CAUSE IT GIVES ME KNOWLEDGE

HOW YOU ALLOWED TO DRIVE IF YOU BLIND

Oh wait, that was SA. Oh well, same tier of GTA games :v:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

HOW YOU ALLOWED TO DRIVE IF YOU BLIND

Oh wait, that was SA. Oh well, same tier of GTA games :v:

WHAT'RE YOU DOING, GIVIN' BIRTH?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Holy poo poo I was going to buy the complete collection of GTA 4 but then i saw the Complete GTA Pack. It have GTA to GTA4 with all the expansion packs for £20.:stare: I now got all the PC GTA games for a lower price than the GTA 4 pack.

Here is the STeam page:http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4466/

What should I play first? I never played a GTA game before..

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 2, 2012

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Supeerme posted:

Holy poo poo I was going to buy the complete collection of GTA 4 but then i saw the Complete GTA Pack. It have GTA to GTA4 with all the expansion packs for £20.:stare: I now got all the PC GTA games for a lower price than the GTA 4 pack.

Here is the STeam page:http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4466/

What should I play first? I never played a GTA game before..

God drat, it's been said before and I'll say it again. THIS is how you combat piracy.

loving sold.

(start with GTA1, then GTA2, then by the time you get to GTAIII, you can appreciate seeing where you're bloody going.

[edit]
No London 1969?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
No London 1969 I'm afraid.

Oh god the camera for GTA 1 and 2 is loving horrible. I'm going to skip those.

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
You could start with 1 and 2 if you want, at least to see what it is like, but it may prove frustrating/limiting these days due to the top down view etc.

Otherwise just play them in order from the first 3D one, 3, which is when the series really took off. 3, Vice City and San Andreas are all set in the same universe with some cross over characters (the stories are independent though) with the latter two being prequels. I recommend to play them in release order so that you do not get spoiled by gameplay improvements when playing 3 or Vice City. When you play 3 and Vice City, before you do anything go to the options and turn trails to off, otherwise the games looks like poo poo.

4 and it's episodes are in a new universe, and you will notice a massive change of style towards being more realistic in terms of both story and gameplay (and many people think this makes the experience less fun overall, though TBOGT reverses this trend quite a bit), but are still worth playing.

nozz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 2, 2012

• Locked thread