Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The White Dragon posted:

My buddy linked me this article

Hahaha, what the hell. Selzauide? The most fabulous of all dragons? RF4 is shapping up to be as awesome as RF3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

The White Dragon posted:

Oh man, I am now officially pumped for Rune Factory 4. My buddy linked me this article that basically says that you live with a big gay dragon whose name sounds like "sells the weed." It's like their market analysis group asked themselves, "what kind of premise would The White Dragon of the Something Awful Forums think would be the most awesome premise ever?"

Oh yea, this looks so amazing. Everything I've heard about this game makes me more pumped. Don't these games normally get translated faster too? I'm hoping we might see it this year, unlike the newest Harvest Moon.

I've been really enjoying Tides of Destiny lately, I kinda let it slide by, but it is incredibly enjoyable.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Shirec posted:

Don't these games normally get translated faster too? I'm hoping we might see it this year, unlike the newest Harvest Moon.

Natsume has kind of redeemed itself the past few games with competent, faster releases, but we don't know if that is the norm yet. I would not expect RF4 at all this year due to how late it is coming out in Japan, but we might get the Harvest Moon. Then again, LoB is suppost to be super-text-heavy for a HM game.

They don't announce their guestimates on release dates until E3 so who knows, maybe Marvelous threw them a bone and sent over materials already.

vvv Well hot drat, the nurse isn't disturbingly young to boot! vvv

I Watson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 2, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Holy poo poo! A married couple in RF4!

I think this is literally the first time in any RF game where there's a happily married couple instead of just a single parent! :aaa:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Holy poo poo! A married couple in RF4!

I think this is literally the first time in any RF game where there's a happily married couple instead of just a single parent! :aaa:

Rita and Turner from Frontier.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Emalde posted:

Rita and Turner from Frontier.

Ah, I didn't play any of the Wii games. :v: Still, that makes it two married couples to at least a few dozen single parents.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey, how do you unlock swimming in RF3?

I feel that I'm missing something :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can't swim, you need to Buy a lily pad magic seed from the flower shop

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ah, I didn't play any of the Wii games. :v: Still, that makes it two married couples to at least a few dozen single parents.

Well, you can get a divorced couple back together in RF1 (or is it 2?), but yeah, Rune Factory is even more couple hostile than the Harvest Moon series.

RF4 looks awesome.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Nettle Soup posted:

You can't swim, you need to Buy a lily pad magic seed from the flower shop

There's also Water Ninja Shoes that let you walk on water. But they're 50k so you're probably better off with the lilypad

SuperNintendo Chalmers
Mar 31, 2002

class after class of ugly, ugly children...
What Harvest Moon should I buy if I've never played(I have a DS & 3DS)?

The metacritic numbers are all over the place with the million different editions. And I can't really make heads or tails of all the pros and cons, so just tell me what to buy. Thanks!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

SuperNintendo Chalmers posted:

What Harvest Moon should I buy if I've never played(I have a DS & 3DS)?

The metacritic numbers are all over the place with the million different editions. And I can't really make heads or tails of all the pros and cons, so just tell me what to buy. Thanks!

The general advice is:

Like RPGs and don't mind things being anime as gently caress? Rune Factory 3.

Got a GBA slot? Get Friends of Mineral Town.

Want something simple and good for beginners? Get Tale of Two Towns.

Want a no-frills farming game that will beat your rear end? Get Shepard's Crossing 2

Got a Wii (and lots of time to waste)? Get Animal Parade.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 2, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
While not actually a Harvest Moon game, Rune Factory 3 is what I'll recommend. The game has a nice mix of combat and farming plus it's well polished and streamlined. The game also has quite a bit of unique dialogue compared to most Harvest Moon games which is good if you're interested in the socialization aspect of Harvest Moon games. Most importantly, the game was fast paced in that movement was fast and the gameplay was streamlined to make things take less time and effort (ie: items stacking when picking things up and short animations).

If you're looking for a more traditional Harvest Moon then The Tale of Two Towns is what people seem to like out of all the DS games.

SuperNintendo Chalmers
Mar 31, 2002

class after class of ugly, ugly children...
Thanks guys! I think i'll try Rune Factory 3 and Tale of Two Towns. They seem different enough to give both a shot.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

The general advice is:

Like RPGs and don't mind things being anime as gently caress? Rune Factory 3.

Got a GBA slot? Get Friends of Mineral Town.

Want something simple and good for beginners? Get Tale of Two Towns.

Want a no-frills farming game that will beat your rear end? Get Shepard's Crossing 2

This is probably the best succinct review of those games I have ever seen.

To add, I would say that if you have a Wii and a lot of time, Animal Parade is the best console Harvest Moon since the N64 days.

VVVV :neckbeard:

Andenalli fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 2, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

anivasion posted:

This is probably the best succinct review of those games I have ever seen.

To add, I would say that if you have a Wii and a lot of time, Animal Parade is the best console Harvest Moon since the N64 days.

There, edited. :v:

Now just to post this in the OP, or at the top of every page.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

SuperNintendo Chalmers posted:

Thanks guys! I think i'll try Rune Factory 3 and Tale of Two Towns. They seem different enough to give both a shot.

I will warn you right now that the villagers and story of Two Towns might bore the poo poo out of you if you play Rune Factory 3 first. Play Two Towns first if you are able, the switch from "My sister? A horse. Horse, horse, horse." to "RAINBOW!!!!!!" will be refreshing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

How is the PSP Harvest Moon? Hero of Leaf something. Just got a Vita, need to farm.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

RF3: Well this is embarresing...it seems I may have dumped Sakuya's stolen lunch in the sales box instead of turning it over to her (I possibly mistook it for a Super Fail Dish?), so now she's stuck saying the meals been vandalized.

Any help? Do I just purposely botch a meal and give it to her?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

SirPhoebos posted:

RF3: Well this is embarresing...it seems I may have dumped Sakuya's stolen lunch in the sales box instead of turning it over to her (I possibly mistook it for a Super Fail Dish?), so now she's stuck saying the meals been vandalized.

Any help? Do I just purposely botch a meal and give it to her?

No, she just keeps saying that until you beat the boss of the Autumn dungeon.

The joke being her lunch is a super failed dish. She's a bad cook. :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay, so it's just a matter of beating the fall boss. Got it.

In other news, I was trying to place the lilly pad and instead chucked it into the water :downs:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, so it's just a matter of beating the fall boss. Got it.

In other news, I was trying to place the lilly pad and instead chucked it into the water :downs:

I did that the first time too :downs:.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
Sometimes I think the amount of things I have thrown on the ground/into lakes/at people in any Harvest Moon/Rune Factory game outnumber the things I've actually sold. So many eggs ended up splattered over the surface of those shipping bins... and most of the time when courting someone I'd just end up pelting them with flowers and assorted baked goods and then running away. :saddowns: Kinda like my real life relationships...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The floor of my greenhouse in 64 is soaked in the blood of a thousand eggplants. :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bo Steed posted:

and most of the time when courting someone I'd just end up pelting them with flowers and assorted baked goods and then running away. :saddowns: Kinda like my real life relationships...
take that poo poo to e/n bitch :smug:

Looper posted:

The floor of my greenhouse in 64 is soaked in the blood of a thousand eggplants. :negative:
I could never accept this. To get HM64 absolutely positively 100% right, you need to ship 10,000 (okay, at least 9,999) items. You need that Greenhouse some time before the end of Year 1 to make it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Apocadall posted:

I did that the first time too :downs:.

Just the first time? I did it so often I decided that buying the water shoes would save me money (and lots of time) in the long run :shepface:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hmm...the fall wilderness boss hasn't showed up where I'd expect him to be.

Do I need to talk to someone? My strategy right now is to concoct a super failed dish and see if that triggers something with Sakuya.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

SirPhoebos posted:

Do I need to talk to someone? My strategy right now is to concoct a super failed dish and see if that triggers something with Sakuya.

Bring it some food, I think.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

SirPhoebos posted:

If you haven't done so already, check the Inn. Next part of the event should take place there.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

MG42 posted:

If you haven't done so already, check the Inn. Next part of the event should take place there.

Yeah, and after that I'm pretty sure the item you need is a salted char. And I think you can get char in the summer dungeon.

Also I've been playing the original Harvest Moon with my little nephews. Nothing like seeing them use a seed bag on a single tilled square, or chucking flowers onto the ground in front of a girl. :v:

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Does anyone have access to a great beginners guide for Rune Factory? My girlfriend recently got into this but she has a lot of questions and trying to find the answers piecemeal online is getting pretty obnoxious.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Revener posted:

Does anyone have access to a great beginners guide for Rune Factory? My girlfriend recently got into this but she has a lot of questions and trying to find the answers piecemeal online is getting pretty obnoxious.

The one at http://www.fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/ maybe? It has a really good beginners section at http://www.fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/basics/index.php

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I've been playing Shephard's Crossing 2 in my spare time, and on a whim I decided to look up some guides to see if I'm missing anything obvious. Like what's the best main dish crop to grow, what the different husbands give you, etc etc.

Except there isn't any. All I've found are two half uncompleted guides. I'm starting to suspect that I've played this game more and more in depth than anyone else on the internet. :stare:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

So I've been playing Shephard's Crossing 2 in my spare time, and on a whim I decided to look up some guides to see if I'm missing anything obvious. Like what's the best main dish crop to grow, what the different husbands give you, etc etc.

Except there isn't any. All I've found are two half uncompleted guides. I'm starting to suspect that I've played this game more and more in depth than anyone else on the internet. :stare:

Time to get cracking on that FAQ!

I am thinking the people who would of bothered got turned off by how spiteful the game can get towards you. It is quite the culture shock from today's more hand holding games in the genre.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I Watson posted:

Time to get cracking on that FAQ!

I am thinking the people who would of bothered got turned off by how spiteful the game can get towards you. It is quite the culture shock from today's more hand holding games in the genre.

I won't lie, I've been debating doing a basic how-to for the game. Sadly my employment means I can't spend the rest of the summer digging into the game and discovering all of it's secrets. :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
So I bought Harvest Moon SNES on the Virtual Console today. The way the tutorial literally just shows you how to play, Pete running around the field working, with no text at all has already reeled me in. I still remember a few vague things from way back when I rented it as a tyke, like the power berry in the garden behind your house and the breakable chicken statue at the crossroads, but does anyone have any general info I should know before digging in?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

There's actually a time limit in that one, so don't waste too much time screwing around. On the other hand, night doesn't end until you go to bed, so go ahead and screw around after all; just be careful not to pass out.

You probably know that stuff already, though. It's been so long, it's hard to remember. Watch out for Hitler, I guess. He's... actually not so bad in this game? Mostly talks about peace and love. His presence always made me worry a little bit about the fortune teller, though.

I usually married Ellen in that game. She made me cakes. :3:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Welp, the series is hitting its 15th anniversary and there will be an artbook released for it. I'm thinking the thing will run $40-60 after exchange rates and shipping, which begs the question if I want to drop that much on old tymey anime game art.

-Who in the hell am I kidding, of course I will.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I've been playing Rune Factory Frontier on and off for ages and holy crap this game is long. I've been playing around 38 hours and I'm still in Autumn of the first year, only beat the Green Ruins, and don't have anybody with a higher FP then four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dr Pepper posted:

I've been playing Rune Factory Frontier on and off for ages and holy crap this game is long. I've been playing around 38 hours and I'm still in Autumn of the first year, only beat the Green Ruins, and don't have anybody with a higher FP then four.

I've been playing Animal Parade for at least that long and I'm only in the 11th or 12th of Summer. Mostly because boiling herbs for gifts takes forever :suicide: I have got to find a better set of gifts for these people.

• Locked thread