Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Red_Fred posted:

I recently changed my motherboard to the new B3 revision (Asus P8P67 -M PRO) due to an unrelated bug. It seems to be running fine now however I have been getting some hard locks where the HDD activity light will just go solid for about 5-10 seconds and the mouse won't respond. These usually happen in some-what intensive times (I.E. The last one was when I quit from a game and it was going back to the desktop.)

This could be completely unrelated to the motherboard but it wasn't doing this before I put the new one in. Usually what are the recommended things to do after swapping out motherboards?

I have got updated driver versions for most of the related components already. As a note I recently over clocked both my CPU and CPU but extensively tested those and they seem fine. So I'm assuming it's not related to either of these.
Since your boards are so similar you shouldn't have to worry about much. I'd run Crystal Disk Info to make sure all of your harddrives show Good, and if you use an SSD, make sure you have the latest firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Floodixor posted:

I bought a 16gig Nook Tablet because I knew that I would have the ability to convert it to an Android tablet with a simple SD card.

The SD capacity that are advertised are in the same increments that the Nook comes in (there's an 8 gig / 16 gig / 32 gig). At first, I thought I had to buy the correlating gig space SD card with the Nook model I have (which is the 16 gig version, as stated). But is this actually required, or am I just being presented the option to have more memory on the SD card in addition to what's already there?

You can put any size you want in there, up to 32 GB.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Install Gentoo posted:

You can put any size you want in there, up to 32 GB.

Awesome, thanks! :)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I have a Core 2 Duo I'm trying to install in a new board, and I can't seem to get the fan/heatsink all the way in. The first two pins seem to be all the way in, but I've tried a dozen times with the other two and there's always a gap between the white and black parts of the pin, and I can bounce the heatsink up and down a bit. I'm afraid I'm going to break the board at this rate. Everything I've been able to find just says, push down, turn, easy. Am I correct in thinking it's not all the way in? Is there some trick to it I'm not getting?

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm
Edit: I'm stupid and found a more appropriate thread. Removed.

Bondii fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 2, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

spoon0042 posted:

I have a Core 2 Duo I'm trying to install in a new board, and I can't seem to get the fan/heatsink all the way in. The first two pins seem to be all the way in, but I've tried a dozen times with the other two and there's always a gap between the white and black parts of the pin, and I can bounce the heatsink up and down a bit. I'm afraid I'm going to break the board at this rate. Everything I've been able to find just says, push down, turn, easy. Am I correct in thinking it's not all the way in? Is there some trick to it I'm not getting?

Push down, don't turn. You turn the pins to release them. Twist them against the arrows, and then just push them straight in.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Space Gopher posted:

Push down, don't turn. You turn the pins to release them. Twist them against the arrows, and then just push them straight in.

Ack, really? Must have gotten something confused somewhere. I'm going to feel dumb now, aren't I? :)

Yeah, that did it. Thanks.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Colonel Sanders posted:

Thanks for the interesting links, I have tore apart a few hard drives many years ago and I am familiar with the magnets for the positioning the read/write heads. However, these plates are surrounding the spindle motor and underneath the platters, I'm certain they are not part of the mechanism to move the heads.

Yeah, those plates are definitely not a part of the head positioning. The magnets for that surround the voice coil on the head assembly arm.
I've not seen it before myself, and I've seen tons of drives from all over the place. Could be heatsinks? I'm not sure which part of a drive generates the most heat, but could it be the spindle motor?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Not sure if this question goes here or not, just let me know where I should go and I'll move it.

I have an old ASUS N50Vn laptop that came preinstalled with Vista. However, I did a clean install of Win7 way back in 2009 a couple of months after I got it. This meant that I lost all my drivers, and at the time I wasn't so tech-savvy (Not saying much since I'm not that much better now either), but at the time I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't locate and install the drivers.

Anyways, now I'm giving that laptop to my sister since I just got a new one. I just did another clean install of Win7 for her so she wouldn't have all the junk I accumulated over the past 3 years. However, she likes to use Skype a lot, and a lack of drivers means that the camera shows her as upside down.

I did some searching since I'm a little more knowledgeable now. I learned about the ASUS Update utility a couple of months back and just now tried to update my BIOS, but it won't recognize it. After some Googling I've come to the conclusion that my BIOS is incompatible with Win7, which is why it's been impossible for me to install drivers. Is this actually a thing or am I being dumb?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

enthe0s posted:

Not sure if this question goes here or not, just let me know where I should go and I'll move it.

I have an old ASUS N50Vn laptop that came preinstalled with Vista. However, I did a clean install of Win7 way back in 2009 a couple of months after I got it. This meant that I lost all my drivers, and at the time I wasn't so tech-savvy (Not saying much since I'm not that much better now either), but at the time I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't locate and install the drivers.

Anyways, now I'm giving that laptop to my sister since I just got a new one. I just did another clean install of Win7 for her so she wouldn't have all the junk I accumulated over the past 3 years. However, she likes to use Skype a lot, and a lack of drivers means that the camera shows her as upside down.

I did some searching since I'm a little more knowledgeable now. I learned about the ASUS Update utility a couple of months back and just now tried to update my BIOS, but it won't recognize it. After some Googling I've come to the conclusion that my BIOS is incompatible with Win7, which is why it's been impossible for me to install drivers. Is this actually a thing or am I being dumb?

This is not actually a thing. The only time Windows cares about the BIOS is at boot. If drivers aren't installing, it's because of a different problem.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I just updated my BIOS for the first time on my PC I built in February this year, trying to fix intermittent issues with the on-board sound.

Before the update (done with MSI LiveUpdate 5 through Windows), at the time of POST the system would emit 5-6 high pitched beeps, one lower pitched, then one higher than the rest at the end. After the update (which switched my hard disks in the BIOS boot priority for some reason, causing it to not boot until I figured that out), it now only has a single, low pitch beep at POST. It otherwise seems to be working just the same, but is there some last step I'm missing?

E; this was probably less than helpful in regards to some important info.

The motherboard is a MSI P67A-G45. i5-2500k, 8 GB RAM. I'll double check the BIOS version when I get back home.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 3, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

sirbeefalot posted:

Before the update (done with MSI LiveUpdate 5 through Windows), at the time of POST the system would emit 5-6 high pitched beeps, one lower pitched, then one higher than the rest at the end. After the update (which switched my hard disks in the BIOS boot priority for some reason, causing it to not boot until I figured that out), it now only has a single, low pitch beep at POST. It otherwise seems to be working just the same, but is there some last step I'm missing?
Clear the CMOS using the jumper on the board, then boot back up and load the defaults in the BIOS setup (optimized defaults if you see that option).

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Is my video card dying?

A little more information. I have been having some issues when playing flash videos and playing games. League of Legends behaves the worst (see above). I am running an ATI Radeon HD 4800 with the latest drivers.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
^^^
Make sure the GPU fan is free of dust, and check temperatures with HWiNFO.

What power supply do you have, and how old is it?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

grumperfish posted:

^^^
Make sure the GPU fan is free of dust, and check temperatures with HWiNFO.

What power supply do you have, and how old is it?

Temperature hovers around 82C with 27% fan. I was surprised by that number, but after doing a little research that number seems fine.

I have a Corsair power supply from when I purchased the video card. I can't see model number from the outside and I am too lazy to open the case.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

accipter posted:

Temperature hovers around 82C with 27% fan. I was surprised by that number, but after doing a little research that number seems fine.

I have a Corsair power supply from when I purchased the video card. I can't see model number from the outside and I am too lazy to open the case.
That's actually rather high for an ATI card - you want it closer to 10C less maximum as 80C+ can and will damage your card if it hasn't already. You can setup a manual fan profile to get temperatures down in MSI Afterburner, but again, check the fan for dust. Also we need to know the PSU model.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
82C is a pretty reasonable temperature, you won't start having problems until you hit the 100C+ range. The 4870 in Anandtech's review database ran at 86C load with a clean heatsink.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Clear the CMOS using the jumper on the board, then boot back up and load the defaults in the BIOS setup (optimized defaults if you see that option).

Thanks, though this didn't seem to do anything except swap the hard drive order again.

Here's what I did, to be sure that I didn't do something incorrectly:
  • Shut down
  • Switch off power at power supply
  • Move jumper to "clear data" position according to my manual
  • Move back to "save data" position
  • Switch power back on
  • Boot into BIOS, load optimized defaults - system won't boot
  • Restart into BIOS again, correct hard drive boot order

Still getting just one low pitched beep at power on. Do I need to wait a certain period of time with the jumper in the "clear data" position?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

sirbeefalot posted:

Still getting just one low pitched beep at power on. Do I need to wait a certain period of time with the jumper in the "clear data" position?
What's actually wrong now, is the system not booting?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

headphone jack for my 2 yr old laptop has been fine forever but suddenly there is now a sort of fuzzy static sound whenever I plug in sets of headphones for it. is it dirty or something? why would it suddenly start acting up?

edit: nevermind, something to do with the C adapter. Plugged in the laptop charger to another wall and it stopped. Still strange because I've been using that wall outlet for years.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 4, 2012

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

On that note, my old headset finally gave up the ghost. Since I already have very decent headphones, I'm looking for a microphone for voice communication, preferably one I could clip onto my headphones or something similar. I'm usually on a laptop so something that'd stand on a desk or is otherwise self-supported like that wouldn't really work.

I've already checked around a bit and found this 'Zalmon Zm-Mic1' clip-on microphone for a pretty decent price, but I figured I'd check in here to see if anyone had better recommendations or horror stories first.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Get the Zalman.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I hated it, I would have bought a ModMic had they been available at the time. I imagine you could get a tiny eBay DAC to streamline the cabling a little bit too, either way.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 4, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

What's actually wrong now, is the system not booting?

System boots, its just the different beep at startup. That's all that's different as far as I can tell. I can live with it, if its not actually indicative of some real problem.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

sirbeefalot posted:

System boots, its just the different beep at startup. That's all that's different as far as I can tell. I can live with it, if its not actually indicative of some real problem.
That's not a problem, they probably changed it because people thought it was annoying.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do I need a tool to attach this kind of 4 pin molex?

http://www.moddiy.com/products/DIY-IDE-Molex-Power-EZ-Crimp-Connector-%252d-Black.html

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Does anyone know what a good consumer flatbed scanner would be? This is for my mom, just to scan some old photos, no frills really needed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rashomon posted:

Does anyone know what a good consumer flatbed scanner would be? This is for my mom, just to scan some old photos, no frills really needed.

Does Canon still make the LiDE's or whatever they were?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rashomon posted:

Pretty much anything. I guess you're mostly going to be limited by the design of the software than the quality of the scan given that its for your mom who according to you needs no 'frills'.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don't have a budget at the moment to upgrade my whole rig, but I can spare 100 bucks or so to get a new GPU. Is the improvement from a Geforce 260 to a 640 worth it, even on an older motherboard/CPU?

I'm running my monitor at 2048x1152 and while most things are able to keep up without a huge problem newer stuff is pushing it to the limit.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Nope, just slot it in and pop the cap on.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

davecrazy posted:

I don't have a budget at the moment to upgrade my whole rig, but I can spare 100 bucks or so to get a new GPU. Is the improvement from a Geforce 260 to a 640 worth it, even on an older motherboard/CPU?

I'm running my monitor at 2048x1152 and while most things are able to keep up without a huge problem newer stuff is pushing it to the limit.

I would say that there are not really any good NVIDIA cards at the low end at all, or even midrange. This isn't worth it.
I know people don't like Tom's, but the 640 is new, so there isn't much else out there.

If you need to get it as close to $100 as possible; get a Radeon 7750 for $104.98 and it'll be a lot faster.
One thing to note about the 7750, AMD has recently decided that the GPUs are all good for 900MHz, but isn't giving the 900MHz boards a new name.
You could just get a 900MHz one now for $114.99. Bear in mind the Tom's review I linked is using an 800MHz 7750, so for that extra $10 you are going to get even better results.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 5, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but: We have a database running on a hard drive. That hard drive also contains a bunch of other data. I think we're running into an issue where, if the database is running some huge queries and there's an rsync copying data from that same drive to another server, these two situations kind of bounce the HDD in two directions and nothing gets done fast. Would it make sense to move the database data to another drive, just so it gets its own HDD and doesn't have to share the mechanics with anyone else? Or am I making up scenarios to cover the fact that I don't know why our load just hit 14 (and, with 16 cores, that should technically mean underutilization, which makes me think it's the competing for the HDD that's slowing things down, yet it moves fast enough on its own...)

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Yes, running 2 different read/writes to the same drive can slow it down significantly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a couple RAM related questions. What does ASRock's XFast RAM do, and would it be a benefit to me at all? Second, why is only 7.9GB of my 8GB RAM usable?

Specs are Windows 7 64-bit, ASRock Z77, i5-3570K.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Golbez posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but: We have a database running on a hard drive. That hard drive also contains a bunch of other data. I think we're running into an issue where, if the database is running some huge queries and there's an rsync copying data from that same drive to another server, these two situations kind of bounce the HDD in two directions and nothing gets done fast. Would it make sense to move the database data to another drive, just so it gets its own HDD and doesn't have to share the mechanics with anyone else? Or am I making up scenarios to cover the fact that I don't know why our load just hit 14 (and, with 16 cores, that should technically mean underutilization, which makes me think it's the competing for the HDD that's slowing things down, yet it moves fast enough on its own...)

Answer 1: Put the database files on their own hard drive
Answer 2: Put all the files on a RAID array with a bunch of fast disks (say, 6 15k rpm SAS drives)
Answer 3: Put all the files on an SSD (or just the DB files if that's all that will fit)
Answer 4: Add enough RAM to the server so that the whole database fits in memory. RAM is cheap.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a couple RAM related questions. What does ASRock's XFast RAM do, and would it be a benefit to me at all?

It's just a fancy RAM disk program (makes an amount of RAM appear as a disk drive to the OS)
http://www.asrock.com/feature/xfastram/

quote:

Second, why is only 7.9GB of my 8GB RAM usable?

Integrated graphics use RAM

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bob Morales posted:

It's just a fancy RAM disk program (makes an amount of RAM appear as a disk drive to the OS)
http://www.asrock.com/feature/xfastram/

Integrated graphics use RAM

Hm, what advantage would there be to using a RAM disk?

And is there a way to disable the integrated graphics?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hm, what advantage would there be to using a RAM disk?

And is there a way to disable the integrated graphics?

If you need a small amount of very, very fast storage, and don't care about the "all your data is instantly gone" risk of power failure, a RAM disk is appropriate. Generally speaking, it's one of those "if you actually need it, you'll know" things, especially with the advent of reasonably priced consumer SSDs. Asrock's offering it because hey, if you blow a bunch of money on RAM you don't need, you might as well at least pretend to do something useful with it.

You can disable the integrated graphics in BIOS UEFI setup. You might as well just leave it, though. I sincerely doubt you'll ever miss that extra hundred megabytes, and integrated video can be handy if your video card dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Golbez posted:

If you're running a database on a 16 core system, you need much more than this thread. Everything Bob Morales said, and put your data files and log files on separate spindles (drives or RAID containers). Then go look up Glen Berry and read a bunch of his recommendations

• Locked thread