Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Skizzles posted:

I was waiting for it too. :ohdear: Anyway...

This gorgeous dog is Nona. I see her in the park sometimes and I am going to steal her because her owner, despite being a very nice fellow, exercises her by letting her out of the truck (with no collar) and making her run after the truck around the road in the park. :(

Steal that dog so fast that the idiot won't even have time to hit the brakes on his truck before he notices she's gone.

Not really but still. Why is he asking for that pretty dog to get lost or killed any day now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
This is Kiya. She is my little princess.

I've only had her roughly 2 months,but yesterday was her 4th birthday, so I decided that I shall turn into a crazy doggy daddy and make her wear a hat and allow her to have a special "cake".

Picdump for your pleasure.

She is not very pleased by her pretty princess hat. :(

She resigns herself to her fate of having to wear the ugly thing.

Then decides to plot my murder instead. :ohdear:

Yum McGangbang for her! :burger:

Couldn't figure out if it was for her or if I was being retarded and just left it on the ground.

Still unsure if she is allowed to actually eat this mighty meal.

I gave up and shoved the drat thing in her mouth so she would finally realize it was for her.

Nom Nom Nom

Note that she has completely forgotten about the stupid hat she is wearing!

I probably shouldn't have done this on a carpet since I had to clean up the mayo that was left over. :bang:

Food gone! Back to trying to take the ugly hat off!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Happy birthday, Kiya. :3:

TVs Ian posted:

Steal that dog so fast that the idiot won't even have time to hit the brakes on his truck before he notices she's gone.

Not really but still. Why is he asking for that pretty dog to get lost or killed any day now?

I have no idea. Mind you this is a pretty public park, so she's whizzing around curves past pedestrians, other dogs, cyclists... It's a two-lane road, a one-way lane for traffic and the other land for people/cyclists, so at least she doesn't have two-way traffic to watch out for, but still... I remember she came whizzing by me so fast one day, she was hauling rear end after that truck. Seemed like she may even enjoy it. But it's still stupid as all fuckin' hell and makes me sad.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Skizzles posted:

Happy birthday, Kiya. :3:

I have no idea. Mind you this is a pretty public park, so she's whizzing around curves past pedestrians, other dogs, cyclists... It's a two-lane road, a one-way lane for traffic and the other land for people/cyclists, so at least she doesn't have two-way traffic to watch out for, but still... I remember she came whizzing by me so fast one day, she was hauling rear end after that truck. Seemed like she may even enjoy it. But it's still stupid as all fuckin' hell and makes me sad.

Tell the dude to get a loving bike and hitch the drat dog to it, godsake.....

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
He was a much older, gray-haired guy, I doubt he's up for that. I should have at least told him that if he ever ever ever had to get rid of her to contact me no matter what. :saddowns:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Cless Alvein posted:

!

:neckbeard: She looks like Buddy! We adopted him at the same age, too. :haw: You need to hit up the Primitive Breeds thread!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I always think this dog looks like Shadow:

He's a rescue mutt owned by a friend of mine - they come out to do the same shows I do with Cohen. His frame, maybe not as similar to Shadow, but his face...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I can see the resemblance, though Shadow certainly has a bigger snout I think.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

:argh:

vvvvvv That's all I'm saying, I'm being good. :colbert:
It's just hair. It grows back. Shaved dog feels happier and less hot. Ticks are easier to deal with and there's less chance of hot spot issues when we spend time by the water. What's the problem? I don't mind that it's ugly and Pi certainly doesn't care.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 3, 2012

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.

More photos of this dog please!!! :) the first dog we went to look at in the Dogs Trust was a springer/cocker and he was gorgeous, lovely orange roan markings :) he was so so clever too. I love the topknot on spaniels :3:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Went hiking yesterday with Greta. Mostly along a river that was swollen from the huge storm we had on Friday, but she had a good time and only fell in once (she was trying to look at something in the water and didn't realize the grasses near the edge weren't actually solid ground. We pulled her back out easily)

Not sure she was expecting 10 miles of hiking but had no problem with it

She sat like that for awhile to make sure I could get a picture, apparently

One of a bunch of streams that enter the river. She was waiting for a stick to be thrown

http://imgur.com/a/PIdq2

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

WolfensteinBag posted:

:argh:

vvvvvv That's all I'm saying, I'm being good. :colbert:

Yeah...I was thinking it too. Poor pup.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Rixatrix posted:

It's just hair. It grows back. Shaved dog feels happier and less hot. Ticks are easier to deal with and there's less chance of hot spot issues when we spend time by the water. What's the problem? I don't mind that it's ugly and Pi certainly doesn't care.

It isn't about it being ugly. That dog does not have a coat type that should be clipped down. Its coat helps to protect it against the heat. How is there a less chance of getting got spots? I've never heard of that.

That could also feel very irritating to the dog as the fur is growing back.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Levitate posted:

Went hiking yesterday with Greta. Mostly along a river that was swollen from the huge storm we had on Friday, but she had a good time and only fell in once (she was trying to look at something in the water and didn't realize the grasses near the edge weren't actually solid ground. We pulled her back out easily)

Not sure she was expecting 10 miles of hiking but had no problem with it

She sat like that for awhile to make sure I could get a picture, apparently

One of a bunch of streams that enter the river. She was waiting for a stick to be thrown

http://imgur.com/a/PIdq2

Greta :h:

I dunno if it's the pictures but... she's an Aussie, right? She just reminds me so much of my friend's border collie, except not red merle. I guess she's just not as fluffy as most other Aussies I've seen; and she has a tail, too.

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Are you loathsome tonight?

tiddlez posted:

More photos of this dog please!!! :) the first dog we went to look at in the Dogs Trust was a springer/cocker and he was gorgeous, lovely orange roan markings :) he was so so clever too. I love the topknot on spaniels :3:

It is so hard to get photos of this goddamn dog because the second the camera comes out she launches herself at it and licks it to death, but here: A Battle Of Wills.

(Joined by my tibetan terrier, Ru)

(who then pushes her off the sofa.)

Millie joined the family with my mum's partner and while gundogs aren't really my thing - I'm used to primitive dogs and their uh, opinionated nature - she's a babe. Daft as a brush, she's from working lines on both sides so she's super driven and always needs a task to complete, but very sweet-natured.

Also her hair is funny :3: and her mouth is omg the softest :3:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Urge to kill... rising...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Skizzles posted:

I can see the resemblance, though Shadow certainly has a bigger snout I think.

That is a dashing young accountant you have there!

Hi, my name is Nori. My ears are up all the time now.

I'm kind of a big deal. :smug:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

:staredog: give him to meeeee~!

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

from http://news.yahoo.com/photos/national-geographic-reader-pics-1335464806-slideshow/national-geographic-photo-1338571250.html

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Is there any formal data correlating the shaving of double coated breeds with skin cancer?

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Whatever you just did was apparently very stupid, in Nori's opinion.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Aravenna posted:

Whatever you just did was apparently very stupid, in Nori's opinion.

Well five minutes after that, he sat in his own poo. So I say we're even. :colbert:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Cless Alvein posted:

I had a Husky named Kiya (Kaya) too. :3: She lived to be 17 and was the most awesome dog ever. :3: Happy birthday Kiya!

Hahaha, I just noticed that you gave her a Mcgangbang for a cake. That's awesome.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2012

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fraction posted:

Greta :h:

I dunno if it's the pictures but... she's an Aussie, right? She just reminds me so much of my friend's border collie, except not red merle. I guess she's just not as fluffy as most other Aussies I've seen; and she has a tail, too.

We got her through an Aussie rescue when she was a puppy, but yeah she doesn't totally have the "classic" Aussie characteristics. The tail is of course a result of us getting her as a puppy, so it wasn't docked, but she's never fluffed out like a lot of Aussies do. She's also quite small, and we get a lot of people saying "I wonder if she's Border Collie, they're usually smaller than Aussie's" but I don't think that really makes sense.

There's probably some way to tell from the shape of her head or something, but whatever. Some kind of herding dog, maybe a mix of them, who knows!

she's currently sitting half on the couch and trying to sleep. She hasn't been too energetic today so I think she's still recovering from yesterday. I think the furthest hike we'd done before that was 4-5 miles, but she was pretty game. Of course she found plenty of smelly things to roll in and it took us 10 minutes to pick all of the prickly seeds out of her fur when we got home...and I've found at least two ticks on her, but such are the dangers of going outside your door

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I don't think Buttercup quite gets summer coats...

However, da bird is universal.

Poor guy got a little sick a few weeks ago. Which led to a vet visit and shots. He's fine now but had me worried for a while. Just sitting in my lap, purring, with all that fur, in summer...

Edit: Tables, whoops.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Greycious posted:

It isn't about it being ugly. That dog does not have a coat type that should be clipped down. Its coat helps to protect it against the heat. How is there a less chance of getting got spots? I've never heard of that.

At the end of the day, this is probably the least bad "bad" thing someone could do to their dog. I understand why you guys get so up in arms about it, but its already been done so there's no real point in going NO DONT EVER DO THAT. More likely than not the dog will be fine and the worst that might happen is a slightly increased risk of skin cancer or the dog might later look like a doofus.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

wtftastic posted:

At the end of the day, this is probably the least bad "bad" thing someone could do to their dog. I understand why you guys get so up in arms about it, but its already been done so there's no real point in going NO DONT EVER DO THAT. More likely than not the dog will be fine and the worst that might happen is a slightly increased risk of skin cancer or the dog might later look like a doofus.

Sorry I groom dogs so it's a bit of a pet peeve. I hate it when I have to clip down dogs that aren't meant to be clipped down/ don't look good clipped, especially after I bathe them and dry them and they look so gorgeous...then I have to make them look stupid more for the sake of the owner than the dog :shobon:

I do clip one of my cats down sometimes though that is more because he has a fur type that mats easy, is indoor only, and he genuinely seems to enjoy it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

We had a friend who didn't want to ruin his dog's coat (she was a husky) but wanted to cool her down in the summer, so he just shaved her belly. It didn't mess up the natural cooling of the double coat up top, but it gave her the option to cool off by lying down on their tile floor. Made a huge difference for her and didn't make her look too weird or screw up her coat. Seemed like a good compromise.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Greycious posted:

...then I have to make them look stupid more for the sake of the owner than the dog :shobon:

So, my plan to dye our white cat orange for Halloween is a no go. :(

But......... She'll look great, at least it isn't pink for St Valentines Day.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Betsy, I made your forelock into a horn. You're a wonderful unicorn now! :v:

You aren't a fan of my art, are you? :mad:

At least Sam enjoys rocking his lion cut. He enjoys not getting briers all over his back and butt.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shifty Pony posted:

At least Sam enjoys rocking his lion cut. He enjoys not getting briers all over his back and butt.

This is an amazingly wooly-looking dog, what kind is it? A poodle of some sort?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Mocha Frost posted:

So, my plan to dye our white cat orange for Halloween is a no go. :(

But......... She'll look great, at least it isn't pink for St Valentines Day.

No, that is a good idea. My friend has this awesome looking shepard mix I really want to try and dye tribal-like markings into his fur to blend in with his black markings. He has these massive black eyebrows. He would look so :black101:

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Greycious posted:

No, that is a good idea. My friend has this awesome looking shepard mix I really want to try and dye tribal-like markings into his fur to blend in with his black markings. He has these massive black eyebrows. He would look so :black101:

Excuse me while I print this out to show my wife. I fail to see how an orange/black cat isn't the greatest thing ever. We've already bathed her several times, it's virtually the same thing.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah most of PI is totally pro-pet dyeing. You're not gonna do any damage with some Kool-Aid and GOD DAMNIT, CAT, I FEED YOU AND SCOOP YOUR POOP, YOU OWE ME.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Greycious posted:

Its coat helps to protect it against the heat.
Hahaha what. No, no it doesn't. It's there to protect against the cold. Not too many breeds from hot areas have a double coat like the Arctic breeds now do they.

quote:

How is there a less chance of getting got spots? I've never heard of that.

When the dog goes swimming or wading in the water several times a day the coat will get wet throughout eventually, but the undercoat (of which there is some, even in the summer) will slow down drying. Hence increased risk of hot spots and skin trouble generally. As for skin cancer I hope you guys are being sarcastic. Since there is something like 5-10mm of hair on the dog even now, his risk of ~*cancer*~ due to sun exposure is on par with a dog of a short haired breed. His risk of suffering from the heat even in moderately warm, sunny weather is much reduced.

To reiterate: it's just hair. It grows out of hair follicles in the skin, which haven't been touched. It'll grow back in a few months in time for winter. And no it won't "feel irritating" to the dog when growing back. Shaving down Lapponians and Finnish Lapphunds (which are basically a long coated version of Lapponian herders) for the summer is done quite a bit, usually because the coat has become a pain to deal with for both owner and dog after the dog has been fixed, because of skin issues or to help keep the dog active in the warmer months.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This is an amazingly wooly-looking dog, what kind is it? A poodle of some sort?

He's a Boykin Spaniel. He has a curly coat that is magnified by a fairly short clip and having just gone swimming earlier in the day. My parents had to give him a shorter cut because he just loves to chase birds in brush piles and would come out with briers all over his back half. I'm sure you can imagine getting a tangled thorny stem out of that hair is pretty much impossible.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

He's a Boykin Spaniel. He has a curly coat that is magnified by a fairly short clip and having just gone swimming earlier in the day. My parents had to give him a shorter cut because he just loves to chase birds in brush piles and would come out with briers all over his back half. I'm sure you can imagine getting a tangled thorny stem out of that hair is pretty much impossible.

I read that as 'Brooklyn Spaniel' at first. "Yo, Woof, I'm a dog ova heah!"

He's a very handsome fellow. The only spaniel I've meet are those king charles spaniels. So soft :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rixatrix posted:

I shaved my double coated dog and you guys are morons! posts.

So, how great of a source do I have to show you to help explain why you are incredibly wrong about your ideas of double coated dog grooming? Like, what would you accept? Because if you look up 'should I shave my double coated dog' on google for five seconds, you come up with a billion results telling you not to. And you're literally telling two groomers that they're wrong. ...And any groomer I'd use on Kaydee's dumb super coat of shedding hell.

Like, I'm totally not going to sit and bitch at you or whatever, man, but you're way wrong in this case about shaving and double coat dogs. It's not some PI hive mind. This is widely accepted as a thing.

I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but.. yeah. Go look at google.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And you're literally telling two groomers that they're wrong.
No, the groomer who shaved Pi is telling two groomers that they're wrong.

Google found me this: http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat/showthread.php?14824-Shaving-Double-Coated-Dogs-Wish-I-never-opened-this-can-of-worms I guess groomers don't agree on everything?

Edit. I'll tell you what. I have another black Lapponian as a control, with an intact coat. I'll see how they both do over the summer and report back. If Rho seems to do better with the heat with his complete coat, I'll learn my lesson and won't shave my dog again. I still maintain that nearly all of the reasons Google gives me why shaving a double coated dog is dangerous and horrible are illogical and kind of silly to me, but I'll give the hypothesis the benefit of the doubt, since I already have an experiment to test it.

Edit number two: The only somewhat logical reason against shaving Google gave me is that the dog might start scratching/licking himself excessively because of the new sensation and that can cause problems. This is the reason Rho still has his coat, since he's prone to licking bald patches on his coat (from having an i.v. in or such) and I didn't want to risk it.

I have to say, I never knew this would open such a can of worms. As I said, lots of people I know personally who own these kinds of dogs do it for the reasons I stated above. No issues have ever emerged and the coats grow back for the winter.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Anyway. Back to fuzzy things. I had to work over the weekend, so when I come back I am greeted by my fuzzball in the usual manner so you guys get a photodump.

Him shredding a toy earlier in the week.

I come back from working on the weekend, he says hello, gets brushed.

YAWN! (look at that fluff!)

Piercing gaze.

If you stop petting him this happens.

After brushing.

It's the simple things that keep me from being homicidally angry.

Here you can see when he decides that the brushing is done. This does not effect his desire for pettins.

Very longhaired cat but I'm not that worried since he lets me know when he's not warm enough, or scratched enough. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference.

• Locked thread