Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Making a dinner before my lady and I go out of town tomorrow. I picked up some beef chuck which was on sale, and I'm going to make a bourguignon with extra stuff I have left over from the week.

I'm planning on browning the meat and then doing a red wine reduction with some beef broth and carrots/celery, herbs etc, cover it, and throw in the oven to braise. Question is: How long and at what temperature? It's only a pound of meat, and I'm worried about overcooking everything, especially the vegetables.

You'd have to evaporate all of the liquid in order to overcook a meat when braising and really are overcooked carrots a bad thing? I'd aim for ~3-4 hrs in the oven at ~ 250F. Just add the veg after 2 hrs if you're that worried, but I wouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Making a dinner before my lady and I go out of town tomorrow. I picked up some beef chuck which was on sale, and I'm going to make a bourguignon with extra stuff I have left over from the week.

I'm planning on browning the meat and then doing a red wine reduction with some beef broth and carrots/celery, herbs etc, cover it, and throw in the oven to braise. Question is: How long and at what temperature? It's only a pound of meat, and I'm worried about overcooking everything, especially the vegetables.

I assume you'll be cubing the meat first. Do it at 325 for about 2 hours and test. You could end up going as long as 3.5 - 4 hours. Its done when you can poke a fork in the meat easily.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Yes, I'm going to be cubing the meat first. Thank you gentlemen!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

You'd have to evaporate all of the liquid in order to overcook a meat when braising and really are overcooked carrots a bad thing? I'd aim for ~3-4 hrs in the oven at ~ 250F. Just add the veg after 2 hrs if you're that worried, but I wouldn't be.

Phummus posted:

I assume you'll be cubing the meat first. Do it at 325 for about 2 hours and test. You could end up going as long as 3.5 - 4 hours. Its done when you can poke a fork in the meat easily.

Hey, and I'm about exactly in the middle of these two on my temperature. I set my oven at 310, but that's because I know it runs kind of cold and it gets up to a little under 300 when I do that.

vvvvvv

GrAviTy84 posted:

Really the temperature of the oven (provided it is > 212F) is irrelevant because the stew will be held at ~212F.
Yeah, I mean that my oven doesn't get as hot as the setting. If I want my air temperature to be 300 I need to set it at 310. The higher temperature will get it up to the internal temperature faster though, won't it?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 1, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

Hey, and I'm about exactly in the middle of these two on my temperature. I set my oven at 310, but that's because I know it runs kind of cold and it gets up to a little under 300 when I do that.

Really the temperature of the oven (provided it is > 212F) is irrelevant because the stew will be held at ~212F.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Assuming everything is covered and submerged. And that you'll notice when things become unsubmerged.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Since it's national donut :btroll: day or whatever, I'm rehashing my idea of selling donuts on the side as an excuse to make some donuts. Soooo... who has a tried and true donut recipe? Ideally I'm looking for something that will be filled and has slightly better shelf life than say, an hour or two.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Thanks Chemmy and Steve Yun. I'm going to go with something from Lobel's for sure. That marbling looks amazing.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I want to make a shrimp ceviche. Most of the recipes I see call for pre-cooking the shrimp, but I always thought the lime juice took care of that. They say it is because the citrus technically cooks the shrimp, it doesn't kill any bacteria. Is this really a big deal if I'm using shrimp from a pretty reliable source? Do I really have to pre-cook them? I just sort of naturally assume people say to pre cook them because internet lawyers, but I don't want food poisoning.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Stalizard posted:

I want to make a shrimp ceviche. Most of the recipes I see call for pre-cooking the shrimp, but I always thought the lime juice took care of that. They say it is because the citrus technically cooks the shrimp, it doesn't kill any bacteria. Is this really a big deal if I'm using shrimp from a pretty reliable source? Do I really have to pre-cook them? I just sort of naturally assume people say to pre cook them because internet lawyers, but I don't want food poisoning.

the acid doesn't "cook" the shrimp, per se, but it denatures the proteins. Provided the ph is low enough, which it should be, and the shrimp was previously frozen, which it most likely was, you shouldn't need to precook your shrimp.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Alright, my mystery dish from the chinese place I like. Lady said "yao fei", something like that. I didn't get the dish this time, but I did take a picture of the board:

The top one is the one in question.

Is this an accurate transcription?
卤肉饭

If it is, it is lu rou fan as Gravity suggested. Just a weird prep, I guess, as the dice on the meat is finer and the sauce is way way thicker than anything I've found online.

Ok, found a picture on the Chinese wikipedia of lu rou fan that looks pretty similar to the one I get, but mine has a bit more sauce

Cool. I had computer nerd linguist fun going through the unicode tables to try to find the characters :buddy: So I guess this means this place is north Taiwanese.

Ahhh, cool, this looks the most like it of anything I've found so far:

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 2, 2012

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I just got an electric pressure cooker as a gift and I want to make some kind of bean soup this weekend.

Any suggestions for improving this recipe? (I'm going to omit the seasoning packet)

http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/soups/7288.html

Could I substitute smoked turkey legs for ham maybe?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

I don't know if this is a good place to ask, but I'm going to a conference in San Francisco in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants I shouldn't miss. Last time I went I ate my yearly mercury allowance in a week, sushi back home just doesn't compare.

Go to Range, and/or Beretta

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Big Centipede posted:

I just got an electric pressure cooker as a gift and I want to make some kind of bean soup this weekend.

Any suggestions for improving this recipe? (I'm going to omit the seasoning packet)

http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/soups/7288.html

Could I substitute smoked turkey legs for ham maybe?

Yeah, definitely. Smoked ham hock is hard to come by where I live, so I always sub in a smoked turkey drumstick when a recipe calls for one.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It's that time of the year again and I just spent a bunch of money at the farmers market. I bought this awesome piece of cod but I'm unsure of how to prepare it. I'd rather not deep fry it.

I'm thinking some simple marinade and then pan sear it? I'm gonna have some fingerling potatoes and sauted kale along with everything else (and maybe make a basil pesto to top some of it).

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Doh004 posted:

It's that time of the year again and I just spent a bunch of money at the farmers market. I bought this awesome piece of cod but I'm unsure of how to prepare it. I'd rather not deep fry it.

I'm thinking some simple marinade and then pan sear it? I'm gonna have some fingerling potatoes and sauted kale along with everything else (and maybe make a basil pesto to top some of it).

Oh -- I think one of the easiest and awesome-est ways to do fish like that is to bake it with a crumb topping. Process together some breadcrumbs and your favorite seasonings (some sort of citrus zest and herbs is nice), and then give the top of the fish a quick brush with mayo YES MAYO just do it (I've done this with rockfish and a sriracha mayo which was amazing), dip the fish into your crumbs, and bake it until done (shouldn't take long but I couldn't be precise).

Oh hm you said basil pesto? Skip the cheese and just put the pesto ingredients into your crumb. That'd be pretty awesome.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to fish, I would either bake it plain or pan-fry it in a tiny bit of oil and then squirt fresh lemon juice on it. A good piece of cod stands up on its own, in my opinion.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steam it with some thinly sliced ginger, scallion, and chili. Then hit with some really hot oil right at the end to crisp things up a bit.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Well, time for another batch of Barnyard stock...I just cleaned out my freezer and pulled out two full roast turkey carcasses plus raw necks, two dozen pork rib bones, four beef t-bones, the short ribs from the other night, a ham bone, and two rotisserie chicken carcasses. Plus a quart bag of pulled pork that had gotten freezer burned.

It doesn't all fit in my stock pot, I'm hoping as it thaws out I can crush it down more and have room.

This is going to be glue, isn't it.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Happy Abobo posted:

Yeah, definitely. Smoked ham hock is hard to come by where I live, so I always sub in a smoked turkey drumstick when a recipe calls for one.

It is? I thought you were in Toronto. I see them at Loblaws all the time.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Trillian posted:

I see them at Loblaws all the time.

Bob Loblaw?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

So I have some home-made persimmon vinegar. I haven't touched it in months and now it's got this gunk at the bottom. Is it bad or can I ignore it?

Edit: google says my vinegar has a mother. Neat!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 3, 2012

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure, I like chard in dumplings, the leaves are nice and the ribs can be minced and provide a water chestnut like texture. Remove the ribs and cut the leaves into chiffonade. Brunoise the ribs. Sautee with some minced mushroom, a touch of soy, and some sesame oil until wilted, add the rib brunoise and cook for a bit longer, don't overcook though. Add to some raw ground pork (don't use extra lean, it will make the dumplings dry) with a bit of minced garlic, fresh grated ginger, minced cilantro, white pepper, salt, an egg, a bit of cornstarch, then mix it thoroughly, then mix it more, and then more. You want to get the ground meat from a crumbly texture to a paste like texture, this involves a lot of working the meat. In the dumpling this corresponds to the difference between a crumbly meat filled dumpling to a coherent succulent meatball inside a wrapper. After working the meat, put it in the fridge and cool thoroughly. Then fill in wrappers, either homemade or store bought.

My dumplings were really delicious; thanks for this. Working the meat made all the difference.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I just cooked some chicken thighs by putting them in the oven with liquid, vegetables, and foil on top. I've never been able to figure out the difference between baking and roasting meats, but whatever. They are skin on and bone in, and there is a lot more liquid left than I started with (chicken broth and a generous splash of balsamic vinegar). I have two questions.

1) Can I put the leftover skins and bones in my freezer for stock? I've done it with bones before, but I've never saved the skin.

2) Can I keep the cooking liquid and use it in a few days? I will be getting an enameled Dutch oven off my wedding registry, and I want to take the same ingredients (chicken thighs, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, potatoes) and braise them to see how the different method changes the tastes/textures. Is that reasonable, is that super weird, or is that breaking five different laws of food safety?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Turkeybone posted:

Oh -- I think one of the easiest and awesome-est ways to do fish like that is to bake it with a crumb topping. Process together some breadcrumbs and your favorite seasonings (some sort of citrus zest and herbs is nice), and then give the top of the fish a quick brush with mayo YES MAYO just do it (I've done this with rockfish and a sriracha mayo which was amazing), dip the fish into your crumbs, and bake it until done (shouldn't take long but I couldn't be precise).

Oh hm you said basil pesto? Skip the cheese and just put the pesto ingredients into your crumb. That'd be pretty awesome.

RazorBunny posted:

I'm a minimalist when it comes to fish, I would either bake it plain or pan-fry it in a tiny bit of oil and then squirt fresh lemon juice on it. A good piece of cod stands up on its own, in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips guys. Ended up going the simple route this time, but I could definitely see using the crumb recipe in the future. Having some extra texture could be really good :)

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Happy Abobo posted:

My first attempt with the pressure cooker was a resounding success! I'm seriously shocked at how awesome this was. I fully expected to be disappointed with my first attempt but the beans came out perfect, and I think the smoked turkey leg worked beautifully.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Valdara posted:

I just cooked some chicken thighs by putting them in the oven with liquid, vegetables, and foil on top. I've never been able to figure out the difference between baking and roasting meats, but whatever. They are skin on and bone in, and there is a lot more liquid left than I started with (chicken broth and a generous splash of balsamic vinegar). I have two questions.

1) Can I put the leftover skins and bones in my freezer for stock? I've done it with bones before, but I've never saved the skin.

2) Can I keep the cooking liquid and use it in a few days? I will be getting an enameled Dutch oven off my wedding registry, and I want to take the same ingredients (chicken thighs, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, potatoes) and braise them to see how the different method changes the tastes/textures. Is that reasonable, is that super weird, or is that breaking five different laws of food safety?

I don't see why you couldn't keep the cooking liquid, provided the chicken was adequately cooked in it and it's been safely stored for the few days. I'd taste it to make sure it still tastes alright before throwing it in with more chicken. Although I don't know if you'll get a very different result. Braising is mostly about slowly cooking in a liquid, and chicken with vegetables in an oven that are covered by foil sounds like braising to me. Although I wouldn't save it more than like once or something, mostly since you'd be heating and re-heating it a bunch.

You can definitely put the skin in for stock, I put whole chicken pieces in for stock (skin and all) and it's good so you might as well use it instead of waste it. You'll get a lot of fat you'll want to skim off though (and you can use the fat later for other things). I would think the skin would have a good amount of connective type tissue and contribute a lot of gelatin to the stock as well, which is something you definitely want.

In my mind, baking and roasting chicken are pretty much the same thing. I think of dry heat when I hear both of those, but "baked chicken" brings to mind chicken roasted with some type of coating or something. The braising comes in when you put in liquid with the meat and let it cook in the liquid.

Totally unrelated: I made a chorizo and black bean stew and I made the decision to cook the chorizo with the (dry) black beans. The chorizo turned out completely black from the cooking water. In hindsight, pinto beans would probably have made a better choice so I'm not eating black pieces of meat. Still tasty, if a bit unsightly.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
If I was to make congee in a slow cooker, can I just put rice in chicken stock and leave it for 6 hours?

What can I add to it to make it not bland?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Trillian posted:

It is? I thought you were in Toronto. I see them at Loblaws all the time.

Hmm, really? Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Admittedly, I've had such bad luck finding specific cuts at Weston chain supermarkets that I probably just glanced around and concluded they didn't carry them.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Meningism posted:

If I was to make congee in a slow cooker, can I just put rice in chicken stock and leave it for 6 hours?

When I make it, I typically bring it to a boil before simmering it for a few hours - but I also use brown rice. I've no experience cooking it in a slow cooker though.

But as far as putting things in it to make it not bland, the chicken stock is going to take it a good way, you can put anything you like into it really, congee is pretty neutral. Vegetables? Sure. Leftover beef/whatever? Why not. I've had Congee with curry before and that was pretty good. Mostly stuff prepared seperately.

But if you want to keep it simple? Green onions, ginger, garlic, I think are all common things, and other than the green onions I'd not shy away from throwing it right into the pot while it cooks.

Comic fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 3, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Does someone have a favorite mango lhassi recipe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone tell me why potatoes don't suck and why they shouldn't be replaced by sweet potatoes in almost every application.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Someone tell me why potatoes don't suck and why they shouldn't be replaced by sweet potatoes in almost every application.

Is this a serious post? :frogout:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Korean spotted.

They have different uses, that's why. Also, potatoes are awesome.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

I bought some Russian Banana fingerling potatoes at the farmer's market and they looked alright, and at first bite tasted OK, but they have a tart aftertaste and a bit of throat "burn" like from a tannic tea or wine. Feels like I've got a bit of a sore throat. Is that glycoalkaloids trying to gently caress up my day or something else?

http://www.foodsafetywatch.com/public/154.cfm

I've noticed it before on other kinds of baby potatoes, generally when eating the skin. These are particularly sharp.

Went back to the market today, same potatoes for sale, this time 5-10% had areas of green or were sprouted. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the potatoes, even the ones not greened, have elevated levels of glycoalkaloids.

I wrote an email to the farm making them aware that I had a "bad experience" with the potatoes and included that link.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I think I must be crazy, since I don't like eating sweet potatoes. Too sweet potatoey for me. That said, I think sweet potato salad might be strange, I don't know if the vinegary/mayonnaisey flavor would work for sweet potatoes. I don't know how sweet potato corned beef and hash would turn out either, I'm not enjoying it in my head (but then again I don't like sweet potatoes so I could be biased).

On the other hand, maybe sweet potato breads could be fertile ground for potato replacement? I don't mind a bit of sweetness in bread, so I think some hot buttered sweet potato rolls sound kind of good. Plus you'd get a bit of orange color in it.

I think the potato really brings a starchy thickness to dishes as opposed to the sweet potatoes sweetness. I have a huge sweet tooth, but I don't really like sweetness in a lot of savory recipes, so potatoes should stay where they are.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 4, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Meningism posted:

Ginger, scallions, soy.

In addition, sliced century egg. Or rousong. Or raw egg, tobiko, and umeboshi. Or celery, quick pickles, shredded chicken, and some sambal oelek.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I live in Tucson Arizona. I'm thinking I should take a vacation and go to San Diego and eat food and do stuff, since it isn't that far away.

Stuff on my list to do:
Midway Naval Museum
Scripps Institute aquarium
San Diego Zoo
???

Food to eat:
poo poo tons of relatively affordable and definitely fresh seafood

What other stuff should I do? I am a military history nerd, and aquariums/zoos are pretty cool. Not a huge fan of theme parks, but might could do Sea World.

Where should I go for the seafood? Multiple places would be more than fine.

What else should I eat? I don't feel a huge need for Mexican food, since I live in Tucson and can get excellent Mexican food easily.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
question about storing potatoes and onions, what is the best place to store them in the summer in a apartment? and what is the shelf life i can expect to get out of these? My onions seem to remain intact over a good period but potatoes always seem to start to sprout on me even in a drawer away from light usually after two weeks. I keep the onions on a shelf in the pantry and would put the potatoes there as well but i was always told they should be separate because one of them would sprout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I like turtles posted:

I live in Tucson Arizona. I'm thinking I should take a vacation and go to San Diego and eat food and do stuff, since it isn't that far away.

Stuff on my list to do:
Midway Naval Museum
Scripps Institute aquarium
San Diego Zoo
???

Food to eat:
poo poo tons of relatively affordable and definitely fresh seafood

What other stuff should I do? I am a military history nerd, and aquariums/zoos are pretty cool. Not a huge fan of theme parks, but might could do Sea World.

Where should I go for the seafood? Multiple places would be more than fine.

What else should I eat? I don't feel a huge need for Mexican food, since I live in Tucson and can get excellent Mexican food easily.

I was in SD last week. Go to Seersucker in Gaslamp. If you don't like it you can go to Ghiradelli for dessert.