Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

OS X really does have great support for a lot of stuff. I mean it even managed to install a networked HP printer without a 500MB driver package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Windows as of 7 (at least) also does that, thank god. APC makes the worst software.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

unruly posted:

Which is why I use 1Password to generate and save the question answers. Security questions are a joke, but if the company/service requires them, then why not just fill it with several more passwords?

I do this too, but there was one time when I couldn't log onto one of my bank accounts because it did some bullshit thing like automatically truncating my password at X characters without telling me when I was changing the password, so I never knew this and 1Password of course saved the entire 50 character monster like it was suppose to. Had to call in the bank and to verify myself they needed me to answer my security questions.

:byodood: Uhh, sir, what was the first car you owned?

:v: It's uhh, a long string of 50 random characters with numbers and letters and signs.

:byodood: I'm going to need the entire thing…

:suicide:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I do this too, but there was one time when I couldn't log onto one of my bank accounts because it did some bullshit thing like automatically truncating my password at X characters without telling me when I was changing the password, so I never knew this and 1Password of course saved the entire 50 character monster like it was suppose to. Had to call in the bank and to verify myself they needed me to answer my security questions.

:byodood: Uhh, sir, what was the first car you owned?

:v: It's uhh, a long string of 50 random characters with numbers and letters and signs.

:byodood: I'm going to need the entire thing…

:suicide:
I HATE that poo poo. Is it so much to ask to have your password field be slightly larger so we can have secure passwords? I mean, seriously, when I see 8-12 MAX length passwords, I can't even imagine what was going through the developer's mind to rationalize it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The most puzzling ones are the ones that won't let you use punctuation or symbols for some reason.

Like it makes no sense logically why you'd do that.

Or the ones that send you a signup confirmation with your password in plaintext :downs:

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Mercurius posted:

I've been using Cocoon, which is a plugin for iChat that allows it to connect to MSN. Seems to work fine with both iChat and the Messages beta.

I have to say, I actually really like the Messages beta. It works well with Facebook/MSN (with the plugin) and you can send/receive iMessages to other iOS/Messages users from the same place. It's also got a nicer interface than iChat (in my opinion, anyway).

Speaking of messages beta (which i love) I have tried to find out how to add friends on imessages .. i've added my account, and done all that, but still cannot add any other imessage accounts...

am i missing something?

edit: I figured it out, i don't add them as a buddy in the buddy window, i start a new converation and type their name in...

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you mean you can't add any other imessage accounts?

You can't message them? Or are you trying to use more than one imessages account with imessages beta?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Anyone gotten an update notice for a 10.7.4 supplemental update? Only 31kb big, but I'm just wondering what the hell it is...

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Mr Man posted:

Speaking of messages beta (which i love) I have tried to find out how to add friends on imessages .. i've added my account, and done all that, but still cannot add any other imessage accounts...

am i missing something?

edit: I figured it out, i don't add them as a buddy in the buddy window, i start a new converation and type their name in...

Yeah, you just add their iMessage addresses (email or phone) to Address Book. It doesn't use a Buddy List. Then you can type names in the To field.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

yeah i figured it out....

I was clicking the plus button on the buddy list expecting it to have a dialogue where i could add a buddy with imessage accounts... i didn't see a dialogue, and it made no sense to me...

So then I thought maybe i could just make a new conversation in the conversation window, and type in my friends name or imessage account details, and Volia, it works.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Martytoof posted:

The most puzzling ones are the ones that won't let you use punctuation or symbols for some reason.

It's because they are paranoid about SQL injection and other vulnerabilities and aren't competent enough to handle sanitizing correctly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr Man posted:

yeah i figured it out....

I was clicking the plus button on the buddy list expecting it to have a dialogue where i could add a buddy with imessage accounts... i didn't see a dialogue, and it made no sense to me...

So then I thought maybe i could just make a new conversation in the conversation window, and type in my friends name or imessage account details, and Volia, it works.

Yeah I actually don't like the iChat/iMessages integration. There's too much of a separation in the way protocols work between AIM/Jabber and iMessages that they couldn't unify the interface as much as I'd like. I hope they actually go back and rework it.

Then again they've had a long time to go back and rework it and we haven't seen a subsequent beta so I dunno.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

OS X really does have great support for a lot of stuff. I mean it even managed to install a networked HP printer without a 500MB driver package.
The moment I knew OSX was awesome was when I moved from Win7 to SL and SL instantly recognized my 2002 Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro's hotkeys whereas I had to download some shifty user-made driver package for Win7 to get Prev, Play/Pause, and Next to work and nothing else; Microsoft won't even support their own products natively now and Apple supports Microsoft's stuff out of the box. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Martytoof posted:

What do you mean you can't add any other imessage accounts?

You can't message them? Or are you trying to use more than one imessages account with imessages beta?

He solved his issue, but I have sort of a similar issue. I'm trying to use Messages to talk to my friend, but whenever I try to send something to their number it says "[x] is not available for iMessage". I know they have an iPhone 4, and I'm pretty sure it's fully up to date, so is there a reason why I can't talk to them?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Or the ones that send you a signup confirmation with your password in plaintext :downs:

I had a boss threaten to fire me for changing the website to use non plaintext passwords. He demanded to know "How am I supposed to know the customers password then dummy?", to which I replied "Your not, thats the whole point.".

It wasn't till later when he tried to mock me in front of the other coders about it and the other guys told him he was a loving idiot that he realised that i was right.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

unruly posted:

I HATE that poo poo. Is it so much to ask to have your password field be slightly larger so we can have secure passwords? I mean, seriously, when I see 8-12 MAX length passwords, I can't even imagine what was going through the developer's mind to rationalize it.
As a software guy, I can say this is because of some old-school need to conserve space. I constantly see things where someone thought "a something should be....10 characters long. That's the longest whatever I can think of". In reality, dropping the limit altogether does absolutely nothing in a realistic sense. In the case of a password hash, you're talking about millionths of a second at the moment the password is created or used and nothing more. Or you can intentionally pick "12" of all numbers and ruin it for everyone.

The longest first name I can think of right now is "Christopher". That's 11 letters. For safety, I'll pick 12. Just in case someone comes up with a longer name someday. I feel pretty good about not picking 20 because I saved 8 bytes. If a million people use this, that's 8 million bytes. Eight megabytes.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 2, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Any competent password system will hash a password of any length to some secret key of a fixed length so the size is known and limited. There is no excuse for that bullshit.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The password requirements for the student loan website is exactly 8 letters, no capitals, no numbers, no symbols.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jwoven posted:

The password requirements for the student loan website is exactly 8 letters, no capitals, no numbers, no symbols.

ZShakespeare posted:

Any competent password system will hash a password of any length to some secret key of a fixed length so the size is known and limited. There is no excuse for that bullshit.
Why... Whatd'ya know? 8 letters ! :v:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

jwoven posted:

Bank of Montreal has a six alphanumeric character limit.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Lazyhound posted:

Bank of Montreal has a six alphanumeric character limit.

Our online payroll system is numbers only, 8-16 digits I think....terrible. But they do have a security image. Great job TALX!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Has anyone gotten Windows 8 RP x64 to boot successfully in VMWare Fusion? I just get an infinite loading throbber.
I think there was a Fusion update to fix W8.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

evil_bunnY posted:

I think there was a Fusion update to fix W8.

There's the tech preview http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012 of the next versions of Fusion/Workstations which are supposed to support W8. If you want the Windows 8 Release Preview to work with Fusion 4.1.2 you can add the following line to your .vmx file and it should fix it. (It worked for me)

code:
vmGenCounter.enable = "FALSE"

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Evis posted:

There's the tech preview http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012 of the next versions of Fusion/Workstations which are supposed to support W8. If you want the Windows 8 Release Preview to work with Fusion 4.1.2 you can add the following line to your .vmx file and it should fix it. (It worked for me)

code:
I also needed to do this for the Tech Preview.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do I need to enable root user in 10.5 in order to use single user mode? Or can I just log into one of the admin accounts? I need to run memtest os x and the user guide says to log in as root in single user mode to have access to the most amount of memory. Not sure if the memory access restrictions are the same or not for admins vs root.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Evis posted:

code:
Thanks, this worked for me.

I've been having another issue where Spotlight reindexes my Mac partition every time I reboot into OS X from Boot Camp. The only suggestion I've been able to pull from Google was to add my Boot Camp partition to the ignore list, but this hasn't had any effect. There are a few lines in Console about mds, but nothing that seems relevant to the problem.

code:
12-06-02 4:56:41.927 PM mds: (Normal) FMW: FMW 0 0
12-06-02 4:57:00.136 PM mds: (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"
12-06-02 4:57:00.136 PM mds: (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"
12-06-02 4:57:03.030 PM mds: (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"
12-06-02 11:59:33.033 PM mds: (Normal) Permissions: Root dir stat change -- resetting cache
12-06-03 12:00:51.372 AM mds: (Error) ImportServer: <MDSImporterWrangler: 0x7fb89ae41690> still waiting for plug-in info from mdworker
Any suggestions on what else I can do to troubleshoot?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've had an idea that I think would make a really neat app/menubar tool. Basically, you hit a button and certain domain names are blocked from being accessed for a period of time. Does anything like this exist? Would this request be better in the 'tiny custom app' thread?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Do I need to enable root user in 10.5 in order to use single user mode? Or can I just log into one of the admin accounts? I need to run memtest os x and the user guide says to log in as root in single user mode to have access to the most amount of memory. Not sure if the memory access restrictions are the same or not for admins vs root.
You don't log in as anyone in single-user mode. It's a partially-booted system, where you have access to stuff prior to user accounts and that whole framework being loaded.

Just boot to single-user mode (Cmd-S at startup) and that's it.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

dolphins are gay posted:

I've had an idea that I think would make a really neat app/menubar tool. Basically, you hit a button and certain domain names are blocked from being accessed for a period of time. Does anything like this exist? Would this request be better in the 'tiny custom app' thread?

Yep! I used to use it all the time writing papers in university:

http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

dolphins are gay posted:

Mindful Browsing is pretty perfect for this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't see an actual Mac games thread, but I had a question about the release of Bastion for Mac. I got it recently and it just has a black screen but the game is playing and I can move, and see particle effects. I believe this is a common issue, but I haven't been able to tell if there are any workarounds or fixes... Anyone know anything about fixes or just more on the status of the issue?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Mac Gaming thread is in the Games forum

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but does anyone know why utorrent would look like this when there are >30 torrents that should be displaying? This happened after I updated utorrent but not until I restarted my comp. I tried reinstalling utorrent but oldversion doesn't have old versions of utorrent for mac so i can't do that.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 4, 2012

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Pertplus posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but does anyone know why utorrent would look like this when there are >30 torrents that should be displaying?

Try showing sidebar. You probably got one of the filters selected; last time I updated µ, it decided to mess with those as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a nice Spotify app/plugin that goes into my menu bar and tells me the name of the song currently playing? That's the bare minimum I want, but it could also be nice if clicking on it brings down more options e.g. to search for a song or see the next songs on queue.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a nice Spotify app/plugin that goes into my menu bar and tells me the name of the song currently playing? That's the bare minimum I want, but it could also be nice if clicking on it brings down more options e.g. to search for a song or see the next songs on queue.

Skiptunes?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

vkeios posted:

Try showing sidebar. You probably got one of the filters selected; last time I updated µ, it decided to mess with those as well.
Wow, that was simple. thanks!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sonic Dude posted:

You don't log in as anyone in single-user mode. It's a partially-booted system, where you have access to stuff prior to user accounts and that whole framework being loaded.

Just boot to single-user mode (Cmd-S at startup) and that's it.

I just booted into single user and it says I'm root. Is that just a formality or am I really root? I was never asked for any passwords.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

I just booted into single user and it says I'm root. Is that just a formality or am I really root? I was never asked for any passwords.
Nope, you're root. If you want to secure your system to stop other people doing that you'll need to set a firmware password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Is there any way to find the old copy of a program that was updated from the App Store? I updated a program and now it won't start up and I can't find an old copy on the devs website.