Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, it means "Money or things worth money."

PWE's lawyers are better than you at this. They wouldn't have introduced them if they could cause legal trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The lockboxes aren't illegal in US law, I doubt the ChampO ones are illegal even in most foreign law, and they aren't going anywhere. No point in arguing about it, right. If there's a complaint it should be over things that could change, like certain rewards being better suited for a flat purchase, or (in STO's case) the drop rates not matching up with what was advertised.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Asimo posted:

The lockboxes aren't illegal in US law, I doubt the ChampO ones are illegal even in most foreign law, and they aren't going anywhere. No point in arguing about it, right. If there's a complaint it should be over things that could change, like certain rewards being better suited for a flat purchase, or (in STO's case) the drop rates not matching up with what was advertised.

The Star Trek Online ones definitely broke some laws. They sold boxes under false pretenses (They didn't contain any of the things they said they did. In fact, they worked exactly like the "normal" boxes, despite deliberately claiming otherwise.).

Then when caught out on it thanks to a flat-footed PR rep and lots of stat mining, instead of compensating people who lost possibly quite a bit of money on a badly coded item, they just changed the FAQ and in game item description to meet what the normal boxes had.

And even then, it still didn't fix the bugs and discrepancies they had after they told people that that was how things were going to be. Issues persisted, like them giving a bugged number of lobi equivalent to one crystal. And they didn't automatically compensate people who lost money on that, either. You had to wrangle customer support into fixing it each time it happened, and actually needed to dig up the three posts the developers made (in megathreads) on the forum, saying to send a ticket in, to even know the number of crystals was bugged.

Their attempt at "compensation" was to run a bunch of replays of older missions this month, that let you get 5 lobi tops per series. 5 lobi is essentially a penny in the grand scheme of things, by the way. They also put their self proclaimed "premier" item (Which wasn't in for the lockbox event, strangely enough!) in for 15 lobi, so you could get it for 3 total runs out of the 4 possible. But only if you pretty much had the entire mission set in the game done yet, or logged in quite a bit all month.

Suffice to say i'm pretty sure they could get sued. Just not under gambling laws. False advertisement/fraud seems a bit more likely.

The grab bags work a bit better than the lockboxes, though, from what I understand.

For one, they didn't take dozens of suggestions and implemented it as "gamble to obtain" content, that out-paced the amount of content we'd received in game for free for months.

Said suggestions were also given under the auspices of being a way to utilize the "mini game" currency money in a way that didn't involve crappy ship costumes. Turns out they were just farming for ideas for a lovely lockbox and new "paid" currency, instead. There was some poo poo flinging over that, too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 27, 2012

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Enough of this chance BS, cryptic... Just tell me how much to buy Mecha Nixon as a permanent free form with his current costume.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I just want a solid figure on my chances. I doubt it's 10%, but maybe 5% is more logical? I've heard it's better than the Harmon catalyst, but what does that mean? Have I been unlucky having not gotten one yet, or is that expected?

...Also I should totally start actually putting thought into what I'm gonna use this freeform slot on. I can tell I should actually plan this poo poo and what kind of character or concept i want to play, but I always end up immobilized when spoiled for choice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ColHannibal posted:

Enough of this chance BS, cryptic... Just tell me how much to buy Mecha Nixon as a permanent free form with his current costume.

If they implement a permanent free-form like they have now for a straight up price instead of gambling, you'd have to remake Mecha Nixon because it only creates a new slot.

Not that it'd be a *huge* deal since you can level so fast now with the alerts.

Also, is anyone else amazed at the people who are actually pissed on the CO forums about the ability of silver players to have free form slots? Like here was one gem in the thread about it.

quote:

"You have your opinion, I have mine. My opinion isn't nonsense any more than yours is. I place intrinsic value on my investment. I've spent my life working to get where I am to enjoy spending a little on something I find fun. When I was younger I didn't have those resources. I worked for it. What I see in F2P is others getting a free ride. Simple as that. If they mow lawns or clean stables for a few weeks, the player base who can't afford LTS now will after they earned the mOney. They can then have the benefits of free form. It isn't nonsense or snobbish or selfish. It is real life."

Edit: Also...

quote:

I disagree with F2P. Players who intially invested in the game with Subs are the ones who floated the game. If they had not the game would not have launched. It took subs to get it to F2P. The free ride occured when F2P was incepted.

I have no problem, as I stated before in this thread, with free players buying the Freeform slot from the C-store at a reasonable price. You agreed with this statement. I also stated this almost a year ago.

F2P players did bring new life into the game. No problems there. We were hemoraging players daily and number of instances were shrinking. But this business model was supposed to be about giving players a taste of the game so they would want to sub. Now we give them more reasons to no sub and to not try. Yet continually the difference between sub and non-sub is erroded.

Subscribing players also pay large amounts into the PW/Cryptic coffers. I know I have spent more than $500 over the last 2 months or so. We also paid subs and LTS. Yet little or nothing is being added to increase the value of Gold subs. Instead, we have on line gambling for a chance to get something of value. Just put the stuff in the C-Store at a reasonable but competative price. I hope this clarifies it enough. You have always in the past been reasonable in your communications. I hope this helps.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 28, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
500 bucks in two months? Ok, 300 for lifetime, then what? I wonder how much it costs now to buy the entire store.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lots and lots of grab bags.

Nothing beats the guy at STO launch though. He bought 2 copies of Champions, 2 Champions lifetime subs, 2 copies of the STO Digital Deluxe Edition, 2 copies of the STO Collector's edition (DDE and CE had some different contents) and 2 STO lifetime subs.

The costumes you got for having a CO lifetime sub with STO are now in the C-Store for about $4.

Edit: I believe that's 2x$50, 2x$250, 2x$60, 2x$80, 2x$300. $1180. I might be off on the STO prices.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 28, 2012

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Lots and lots of grab bags.
Pretty much. They're designed to exploit the fanboyish and gullible. Which is good for the game's finances, I guess, but why I can't really support them; even if they're legal, they do exploit the same sort of impulses that catch gambling addicts. But ah well.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Is there any word of more content coming down the pipe? I find myself logging in only to play in the costume editor.

Also, what is the best method for getting new high-end gear for my 40s since the stat changes?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
New stuff that's coming along is still quite nebulous. In rough order of when to expect stuff, though, there's:

-10-person alerts against some squids and far eastern architecture or something.
-10-person alerts with very badly designed player-made villains. There's a distinct possibility there might be 2 freons. :what:
-Maybe some zone involving the moon in the far far future; possibly after they somehow raise the level cap to 50.

The best way to get re-equipped at 40 is to basically do Unity daily missions at level 40. Mobs in mission instances drop stuff somewhat frequently, and because it's Unity missions, the drops will always be at level 40. Completing missions in the daily can net you roughly 19 Silver Champions points; collect 35 of those and you can buy Purple Primaries that give you access to 3 mod slots, allowing for some pretty keen fine-tuning on your 40.

Or you can brave the RNG of Serpent Lantern and the fact that Bosses drop double items. Running Generator Charlie over and over guarantees a lot of enemy slaughter, and can be done every 5 minutes. Pretty effective at creating stockpiles of specific level items of Green to Blue quality.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 30, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bluhman posted:

New stuff that's coming along is still quite nebulous. In rough order of when to expect stuff, though, there's:

-10-person alerts against some squids and far eastern architecture or something.
-10-person alerts with very badly designed player-made villains. There's a distinct possibility there might be 2 freons. :what:
-Maybe some zone involving the moon in the far far future; possibly after they somehow raise the level cap to 50.

So they forgot about their own Freon? (EDIT: Nope, apparently they did not, their good ol' creator was just an idiot. Seriously wish I could've entered my own, The Eternal Man was way better than this poo poo)

The results of this 'survey' aren't surprising. The clear 'winners' were the only good answers, we couldn't actually answer in a way that tells them anything at all that they didn't specifically want to hear. Of course I can't say that I want bosses without broken powers and an equal amount of Bursts to the other two, because I don't really want them, what I want is clearly a bigger variety of locations that don't actually matter.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So they forgot about their own Freon? (EDIT: Nope, apparently they did not, their good ol' creator was just an idiot. Seriously wish I could've entered my own, The Eternal Man was way better than this poo poo)

The results of this 'survey' aren't surprising. The clear 'winners' were the only good answers, we couldn't actually answer in a way that tells them anything at all that they didn't specifically want to hear. Of course I can't say that I want bosses without broken powers and an equal amount of Bursts to the other two, because I don't really want them, what I want is clearly a bigger variety of locations that don't actually matter.

So I've gone through about 14 freeform bags (about half from doing the daily and half from free CP) and still no freeform slot.

This "gambling" is really wearing me out, making me not want to play the game. Hell, the *only* thing that would make me want to play the game is the ability to have a freeform character.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I've gone through about 14 freeform bags (about half from doing the daily and half from free CP) and still no freeform slot.

This "gambling" is really wearing me out, making me not want to play the game. Hell, the *only* thing that would make me want to play the game is the ability to have a freeform character.
Well, you could subscribe. :v:

Seriously. If you enjoy the game enough to want to keep playing, and perhaps even spend money on it (which may or may not be the case, didn't say how you got the bags), then it's pretty much a fair trade there. I wouldn't bother with the gambling unless you either had a looot of free time, or more money than sense, and even then it's almost guaranteed to be a disappointment. (I wouldn't expect better odds than 1/100, and it's probably closer to 1/250 or 1/500; naturally Cryptic won't tell.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I personally have a couple reasons for not subscribing. The fact I'm very cheap is one of them, but one of the big ones is that Freeform just isn't big enough to justify the money when it's basically the only thing you're paying for.

I mean, from checking the wiki, forgive me if I miss something, bonuses for subscribing are... Hideouts (already have one, barely use it), no resource cap, extra character slots (I'm not much into alts when there isn't actual alternate content to play), extra costume pieces (can buy them anyway, but not having to'd be nice), extra costume slots (frankly I'm fine with two), Freeform of course, and a couple other minor things that don't matter to me. The only things that are appealing there are the no limit on resources and Freeform, which are really just things the free game should have anyway. I will gladly gamble nothing but time to get half of what I'd get from subscribing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I bought a 60 day timecard for this game on amazon, it cost me six bucks. I'm cheap and poor, but that's one fast food lunch for 60 days of subscription, feels like a decent deal to me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I personally have a couple reasons for not subscribing. The fact I'm very cheap is one of them, but one of the big ones is that Freeform just isn't big enough to justify the money when it's basically the only thing you're paying for.

I mean, from checking the wiki, forgive me if I miss something, bonuses for subscribing are... Hideouts (already have one, barely use it), no resource cap, extra character slots (I'm not much into alts when there isn't actual alternate content to play), extra costume pieces (can buy them anyway, but not having to'd be nice), extra costume slots (frankly I'm fine with two), Freeform of course, and a couple other minor things that don't matter to me. The only things that are appealing there are the no limit on resources and Freeform, which are really just things the free game should have anyway. I will gladly gamble nothing but time to get half of what I'd get from subscribing.

Pretty much this. The only thing I get out of subscribing that's of any value to me is Freeform. It's hard to justify paying for the game when that's the case.

I really wish they would just give players one freeform slot and then let them purchase more for a fixed price rather than gambling for it. The freeform is the real pull of the game, and you need to give silver players a taste of it so they'll be willing to shell out the money to purchase more/subscribe.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that's the real thing. I can almost forgive gambling bags; it's not exactly my favorite cash shop mechanic, but it's a successful one so whatever. But freeform characters are such a core and game changing thing (as opposed to an STO ship or whatever), they're really something that would work better as a flat 1000-1200cp or something so it's reliable and available to everyone. Really, Cryptic/Perfect World's handling of this poo poo absolutely baffles me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So this came up in the MechaCommando channel, and I'd like to hear thoughts on this from people who actually do have half a brain: what are the chances of them putting up the Freeform slot, even for some exorbitant price, in the C-Store sometime after this whole grab bag thing? Personally I don't think it's impossible - there's precedence with the stupidly expensive catalysts going up after that offer ended, and let's be honest, they'd be stupid not to keep this train rolling.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not... too likely really. :( Unless there's a massive outrage (really massive) the best you can hope for is... the bag program being continued or repeated. As noted, you can already get freeform slots whenever you want by subscribing, so...

Cryptic is a very dumb company.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Latest forums stupidity: They hate when Cryptic updates the game and buffs stuff because it means they might have to respec.

Oh no, Bite isn't Darksoul Von Darkendark's only ability worth using anymore! They have mixed up the monotony. How could they?!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I actually do hate it when they change the rules and invalidate all my old builds, but that's because I have level 40 characters I haven't played in 6 months.

The system today is definitely better than it was at launch, but the horse is largely out of the barn on that one.

Also, let's keep in mind that the cash shop is probably directed to some extent by PWE.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I am having way too much fun with the character creator

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Well, I'm already not liking this patch at all.

Mainly because my main is Grimoire. It's a one-two punch of gently caress-youitude; AoPM's now bugged into inoperability, and as a consolation prize I get a form I can't use.

voodoospork
Oct 13, 2009
Is there a PVP scene for this at all? I've already got a 40 from launch, but herding cats in the DOTA-alike map got old fast. Would I have to newly mourn this waste of a system if I came back for PVP?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Long time player (War Crime) returning as a silver player. If I'm planning to solo all the time, what is the least painful AT?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

voodoospork posted:

Is there a PVP scene for this at all? I've already got a 40 from launch, but herding cats in the DOTA-alike map got old fast. Would I have to newly mourn this waste of a system if I came back for PVP?

The PvP crowd is dumb. I wouldn't waste your time unless you want to really learn how it all works, and then throw away any idea of theme if you want to be ~the best.~ Even then, the only arena people queue for is BASH which can be a clusterfuck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So Power Armor doesn't exist in the archetypes at all?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

So Power Armor doesn't exist in the archetypes at all?

It will in a week or two. It's on the PTS now, they're just finishing up.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
What are the buffs? Did they git rid of the useless gimmick?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

What are the buffs? Did they git rid of the useless gimmick?

No, but they lowered the penalty and it no longer puts abilities into cooldown so it's less awkward to use.

It got a few new attack powers (A new blast, a cylinder AoE, and a 120 degree cone AoE), an energy unlock, a passive self HoT, a dash, a bunch of laser sword powers. Besides that it's standard damage buffs and some new advantages.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The gimmick remains dumb but it's less annoying to use alongside other power sets in a freeform build, so that alongside the new power options is a net positive, yeah.

Targeting computer is still poo poo though, unless I missed a buff somewhere.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
The new PA powers on the test center are really fun to play with, especially the new ability Fire All Weapons. it basically turns you into War Machine for about 5-6 seconds. Probably one of the better looking powers I've seen in the game in awhile.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

So I was running an adventure pack with some buddies yesterday, and a purple costume unlock dropped (Demon Hips). I used it to unlock the costume piece, and now I have no idea what I actually unlocked. There's no demon hips option anywhere in my tailor options. Any idea what I actually unlocked?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From the icon, it looks like a Beast leg skin.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Do note that, as far as I know, the Demon costume unlocks are still bugged in that they will only unlock on the character you used the item with. In addition, if it was one of the fire demon costume parts (a bunch of horns of some sort) and you used the item on a female character... Well, it's entirely possible that a model doesn't exist for female skeletons so :suicide:

If it's the part I think you're referring to, it looks to me like your usual leg pattern unlock.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Bluhman posted:

Do note that, as far as I know, the Demon costume unlocks are still bugged in that they will only unlock on the character you used the item with. In addition, if it was one of the fire demon costume parts (a bunch of horns of some sort) and you used the item on a female character... Well, it's entirely possible that a model doesn't exist for female skeletons so :suicide:

If it's the part I think you're referring to, it looks to me like your usual leg pattern unlock.

Yikes, does that bug affect most unlocks? I noticed when I bought the 90s stuff for Primus recognition on my female character it didn't seem to unlock anything, and the Sweetland Jacket she won and tried to learn for other characters didn't change anything either. How hosed is this game?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Most of the costume unlocks work correctly; it's just stuff that's from Fire Demons, the DEMON cult, and some of the Lemurian parts (though the loincloth unlocks just fine).

For stuff like boss unlocks, however, I wouldn't really know. And some of the Primus 90s stuff is weird (there is literally 1 unlock in that set that doesn't apparently do anything; I think it's the goggles).

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Bluhman posted:

(there is literally 1 unlock in that set that doesn't apparently do anything; I think it's the goggles).

So the goggles... Do nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm fairly sure there are documented bugs that have been around since the game's launch that Cryptic hasn't fixed.

I'd complain about them neglecting bug fixing in favor of new, shiny content... but they don't even appear to be working on that.