Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have one of those vacuum flasks from Ikea. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40149848/

Can I boil water in this? Like put it directly on the stove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pollyanna posted:

I have one of those vacuum flasks from Ikea. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40149848/

Can I boil water in this? Like put it directly on the stove?

Theoretically, yes.

Practically, no. It is designed to make heat transfer from the outside to the inside as hard as possible (and vice versa) - so you will need to leave it on the stove longer than almost any other kind of pot that you own.

It's like trying to put bread in a toaster after you have wrapped it in a fire blanket, you ain't getting toast quickly.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Well you're going to get terrible heat transfer to the contents because of the vacuum between the inner and outer metal bits.

I doubt that's the only reason you shouldn't do this.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey goons, I was wondering if I can get some help with a simple maths problem, it's for my friend,

"Iris applies for an investment loan at the current interest rate of 9% p.a she intended to repay the loan off in 25 years. Based on her financial position the ball offered her $250,000.

The rate suddenly drops to 7% overnight. If she waited how much more would iris be allowed to borrow?"

I have the answer of $46,676 from the teacher but have no idea as to the workings/how they got there. Any help would be allreciated! This problems annoying me because it should be simple!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Guni posted:

Hey goons, I was wondering if I can get some help with a simple maths problem, it's for my friend,

Tell the people in Ask small math(s)/stats questions that don't deserve their own thread. what you've tried and you may get some help.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Awesome, thanks heaps, I wasn't sure where exactly to put it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, so it's as I thought. Mom thought you could and ended up burning the poo poo out of her hand. :saddowns:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can a typical North Korean family leave their country legally if they wanted to? Or is it dependent on economic/political status or something? I didn't want to turn the "Ask Me about my North Korean Road Trip" thread into a general NK questions thread.

vvvvv: That's even more restrictive than I thought. I figured your middle class (or what we define as middle class) family could leave if they want.

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 3, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No, they pretty much have to sneak out if they want to leave the country. Exit visas are required and from what I understand only granted to the elite, like political/military officials, or sometimes athletes and musicians.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are FarCry and Crysis in the same universe? I know I could probably google for this, but I'm not sure I could stomach the rants of a thousand zealous theorycrafters.
e: I haven't played either game, which might explain my apparent idiocy.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Are FarCry and Crysis in the same universe? I know I could probably google for this, but I'm not sure I could stomach the rants of a thousand zealous theorycrafters.
e: I haven't played either game, which might explain my apparent idiocy.

There's not enough to say either way because other than being set in tropical islands and having the same developer there's nothing that links the two. I didn't notice any references or anything when I played.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Avocados posted:

Can a typical North Korean family leave their country legally if they wanted to? Or is it dependent on economic/political status or something? I didn't want to turn the "Ask Me about my North Korean Road Trip" thread into a general NK questions thread.

vvvvv: That's even more restrictive than I thought. I figured your middle class (or what we define as middle class) family could leave if they want.

If you're curious about the conditions in North Korea, I recommend the book Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick. Just be warned: this is disturbing, heart-twisting stuff that will stick with you for a long, long time.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Avocados posted:

It's a pretty common phenomenon in authoritarian countries. The Soviet Union and Cuba had/have similar policies in requiring permission to leave.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

So, I'm still confused about what happened in series 6 of lost. At the end of series 5 they drop that bomb down the hatch which is where the "side flashes" started happening.

I get that in one side flash they're on the island doing some poo poo with Jacob and MIB saving the world, in another they're in a purgatory universe. But I don't really understand why there are these two "universes".

In the purgatory one where they're dead, did they die from the blast of the bomb? If so, are these two universes just showing what the two outcomes could be? If that is the case then I'm still confused about what happened with the island after that; the island was so important to the world in terms of good and evil so how did the explosion impact the world?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Long Wang posted:

So, I'm still confused about what happened in series 6 of lost. At the end of series 5 they drop that bomb down the hatch which is where the "side flashes" started happening.

I get that in one side flash they're on the island doing some poo poo with Jacob and MIB saving the world, in another they're in a purgatory universe. But I don't really understand why there are these two "universes".

In the purgatory one where they're dead, did they die from the blast of the bomb? If so, are these two universes just showing what the two outcomes could be? If that is the case then I'm still confused about what happened with the island after that; the island was so important to the world in terms of good and evil so how did the explosion impact the world?

I interpreted the split as the parallel universe being the hypothetical universe where the plane didn't crash. However that didn't happen because the plane did crash and mumble muble that's why it's some form of purgatory.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's an entire Lost thread in TVIV where they've been talking about this for literally years, but as simply as I can the Island timeline is real, that's what happened to all of them in their lives.

Once they died, at whatever point they did die, they went to purgatory, where they could be gathered as a group again because the time on the Island was the most meaningful time of their lives. They did not all die and go to purgatory at the same time, it's a universe out of time. Jack died at the end of the series and went straight there, others lived 50 more years of normal life, but when they died they went to the same purgatory.

Now that I finish that paragraph I get the feeling I'm remembering it wrong.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's the best site for renting apartments while traveling? A wealthy friend of mine is going to be staying around Europe and wants to rent apartments for a week or two here and there rather than stay at hotels or hostels. They're also willing to sublet their own place here in NY.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best site for renting apartments while traveling? A wealthy friend of mine is going to be staying around Europe and wants to rent apartments for a week or two here and there rather than stay at hotels or hostels. They're also willing to sublet their own place here in NY.

Airbnb.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
How come, looking on Google Maps satellite photos, there doesn't appear to be a single in-ground backyard swimming pool in the entire city of Flagstaff, Arizona?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

Just FYI, staying in apartments (in Europe) is often comparable in price to a very modest hotel. The possible downside is that they often have minimum stay lengths, so you can't just do overnights.

Kevyn posted:

How come, looking on Google Maps satellite photos, there doesn't appear to be a single in-ground backyard swimming pool in the entire city of Flagstaff, Arizona?

Because it isn't nearly as hot as the southern part of the state and it freezes/gets snow in the winter? Perhaps I don't really understand the specific nature of your confusion.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

greazeball posted:

Because it isn't nearly as hot as the southern part of the state and it freezes/gets snow in the winter? Perhaps I don't really understand the specific nature of your confusion.

I think it's because it's a stereotype that Arizonans have tons of backyard pools in general (or maybe that's in parts of New Mexico?). I had no idea it freezes/snows anywhere in that state. It's fairly close to Phoenix too, which I've always thought of as blistering hot year-round.

It's also a little strange that someone would make that type of visual inspection in the first place.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 4, 2012

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Maybe he was making fun of all the pools being above-ground? Is that still a thing some people do?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Huntersoninski posted:

Maybe he was making fun of all the pools being above-ground? Is that still a thing some people do?

poo poo's gone underground now.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I sometimes like looking at cities I'll probably never go to on Google Maps and Street View, just to see what they look like. I don't know why I noticed the "no pools" thing, but it's weird. I know Flagstaff doesn't get as hot as the Phoenix area, but there should be at least be SOME pools. Hell, I just took a quick look at Fargo, ND and easily found a few.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My boss gave me Ghost Recon Signature Edition for the 360 because he got it from someone else and didn't want it. I was going to try to flip it, but is this only sold through Gamestop? I can't find it listed on amazon, target, best buy, etc. If so, do you think they would give me cash for it without a receipt? I've also tried listing it here and I just put it on craiglist. I just want to try to get some cash for it with the least amount of hassle.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Kevyn posted:

I sometimes like looking at cities I'll probably never go to on Google Maps and Street View, just to see what they look like. I don't know why I noticed the "no pools" thing, but it's weird. I know Flagstaff doesn't get as hot as the Phoenix area, but there should be at least be SOME pools. Hell, I just took a quick look at Fargo, ND and easily found a few.

Maybe it's a water conservation thing? A lot of areas in the Southwest have fairly strict regulations about water use, which could make it more difficult/expensive to have a pool. Just speculation, though.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
There's a handful of goons who have Coyote-related avatars drawn in a particular style. This is the only one I can find offhand:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=84566

Are these a reference to something more specific than the myths? The lineart makes me think webcomic and I swear I've seen it before.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
They're from Gunnerkrigg Court. It's a webcomic and I think the author posts here, but I'm not sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has something awful always had hotkeys for bb code? I have been posting here for years and had no idea until I just stumbled upon it. Is that normal for message boards?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm noticing these mysterious antenna-covered boxes appearing on streetlights all over town. I haven't heard anything about a new municipal wi-fi program or anything, so I'm kind of stumped as to what they are. Anybody know?

(Apologies for the crappy cellphone pictures.)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Coyote plays the role of a trickster god in Gunnerkrigg Court. He's a recurring character, but plays a pretty involved role in the Coyote Stories arc. There are a couple of other places where he shows up to brag/tell interesting stories about himself, but they're harder to find, since the arc isn't named after coyote.

NESguerilla posted:

Has something awful always had hotkeys for bb code? I have been posting here for years and had no idea until I just stumbled upon it. Is that normal for message boards?

:monocle: I never noticed that myself.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

There's been a few changes lately:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485850

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
e: You beat me and even included a link :argh:

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Powered Descent posted:

Street light antennas.

Looks like part of a wifi grid to me. You can see similar looking antennas on this page for a company that creates municipality-wide networks. It's possibly just for emergency services (police, fire, etc) which might explain why you haven't heard of it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Liebfraumilch posted:

Moving from glorious Wisconsin to Philadelphia was a serious shock. I walked to every local gas station and grocer in my area growing more and more dazed as shelves and coolers came up...beerless. :stare:

So in other words, move to Wisconsin.

As another Wisconsinite who moved to Philadelphia I have to second this suggestion. I actually took up homebrewing because of how messed up the laws are out here, combined with the much higher beer prices compared to Wisconsin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pogo the Clown posted:

Looks like part of a wifi grid to me. You can see similar looking antennas on this page for a company that creates municipality-wide networks. It's possibly just for emergency services (police, fire, etc) which might explain why you haven't heard of it.

Those are radio transmitters for "smart" home power meters.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

actionjackson posted:

My boss gave me Ghost Recon Signature Edition for the 360 because he got it from someone else and didn't want it. I was going to try to flip it, but is this only sold through Gamestop? I can't find it listed on amazon, target, best buy, etc. If so, do you think they would give me cash for it without a receipt? I've also tried listing it here and I just put it on craiglist. I just want to try to get some cash for it with the least amount of hassle.

I've had a lot of luck selling video games I'm finished with on ebay. It doesn't seem to matter how good or bad the game is, someone will snap it up within a day or two of me listing it. Since it's a brand new game that's barely been used and apparently some kind of special edition, I don't think you'd have any problem selling it quickly for a good price.

They're fairly cheap to ship too, like $3 or so usually.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
What are some of the best internet resources/tutorials for learning keyboard/piano proficiently? Preferably for someone with little to no experience.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I think we have a winner -- they've been gradually switching the whole town over to smart electric meters this year. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do search/archives work here? I've had them for a while but rarely used them, and now I'm trying to find a thread I made last year (Young Indiana Jones thread in TVIV) but can't seem to find any trace of it either by doing a search under "Search the Forums" or by checking my "post history" - though with the latter I wasn't willing to manually sift through thousands of posts, but it doesn't seem to have all of them. What's the deal? How do I access this stuff?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 4, 2012