Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Bussamove posted:

Was it ever stated anywhere what exactly Annie's father specialized in? Obviously he has some sort of skill when it comes to etheric sciences, but I can't recall anything beyond that. Whatever he's doing, it certainly looks ominous enough.

He's a medical doctor, he worked in the hospital Surma stayed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

Angry Avocado posted:

Technically we're not sure yet who she punched :ssh:

Well it's very heavily implied, what with the reference to 'your little girl' and all. Who else is she going to be punching, Surma's ghost?

It is entirely possible Zimmy has it all wrong and this is just a shade of Annie's resentment, or it's some weird Court magic which Anthony is trying to break, or it's someone or something else entirely. Either way, it's definitely Anthony shaped and it is getting spirit punched in the face :pcgaming:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Heliotrope posted:

He's a medical doctor, he worked in the hospital Surma stayed at.

I assume Bussamove was asking what his medical specialty was.

IIRC it was surgery or something?

Certainly wasn't pediatrics, that's for sure.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

You guys are missing the best part.

Tom posted:

I loved drawing this page

It shows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hammer Backspace posted:

Well it's very heavily implied, what with the reference to 'your little girl' and all. Who else is she going to be punching, Surma's ghost?

It is entirely possible Zimmy has it all wrong and this is just a shade of Annie's resentment, or it's some weird Court magic which Anthony is trying to break, or it's someone or something else entirely. Either way, it's definitely Anthony shaped and it is getting spirit punched in the face :pcgaming:

I really, really feel like it's not Anthony's poo poo Zimmy is ruining there. I think he looks too small and the shortsleeves seem kinda odd for a guy who is basically an emotionless robot.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I really hope flying etheric face-punch won't have long term repercussions for Zimmy, Annie, and Anthony.*

I mean, this dream hopping is impressing a lot of Annie onto Zimmy. Does this mean the exchange at the start of the chapter was a flash-forward? Is this more of a Pratchett move where the consequences of this are so profound that they go back in time? Or is Zimmy just extra connected to Annie following that Jack fiasco and Zimmy being who she is, its manifesting in decidedly weird ways.

[sub]*Which is to say, I hope it really does and we get to read the ensuing pathos over the course of the comic.[/sub[

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Hammer Backspace posted:

How does Zimmy know what Anthony looks like? The way Tom has been avoiding showing a clear drawing of the dude implies to me that it's not actually Anthony, but Annie's friends just assume it is because he's dicked her around before.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

bouncyman posted:

How does Zimmy know what Anthony looks like? The way Tom has been avoiding showing a clear drawing of the dude implies to me that it's not actually Anthony, but Annie's friends just assume it is because he's dicked her around before.

At the same time we've never seen Anthony outside of flashbacks. There's something, almost a mystique, surrounding this lack of physical appearances along the main narrative thread.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Whether it's Anthony or not, I feel like anybody at the other end of bone spikes poking your friend's soul deserves a tuning up.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

I assume Bussamove was asking what his medical specialty was.

IIRC it was surgery or something?

Certainly wasn't pediatrics, that's for sure.

Yes, this was what I was wondering about but was too stupid to properly type at the time. :downs:

Surgery would make sense, given that he needed scalpels and seems to be poking around with huge bone knives in Annie's soul. Or was until Operation POW Right in the Kisser.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh poo poo, could these bone spears *be* the scalpels they've just sent him, in the same way that the tooth sword was actually coyote's tooth? In this case it makes perfect sense that that Anthony had to have them secretly sent.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Man I hope we get some answers soon, and it doesn't all end in a church.

Note: What I hope for does not necessarily a good story make.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

VanSandman posted:

Man I hope we get some answers soon, and it doesn't all end in a church.

Note: What I hope for does not necessarily a good story make.

Turns out that dragging out answers for six years and ending it all in a church doesn't a good story make either. So you're probably safe.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bussamove posted:

Yes, this was what I was wondering about but was too stupid to properly type at the time. :downs:

Surgery would make sense, given that he needed scalpels and seems to be poking around with huge bone knives in Annie's soul. Or was until Operation POW Right in the Kisser.

The first time we hear of Anthony is Annie describing him as a surgeon at the hospital where she grew up, way back in chapter 2. Whatever secrets he may have, that at least means he is skilled at some type of mundane surgery - no idea which one, though. If this really is actively his doing, I guess he's trying to branch out into weird etheric soul-surgery or something.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
With all this etheric mind-fuckery, the next chapter featuring Coyote seems less and less like something to look forward to. :gonk:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The first time we hear of Anthony is Annie describing him as a surgeon at the hospital where she grew up, way back in chapter 2. Whatever secrets he may have, that at least means he is skilled at some type of mundane surgery - no idea which one, though. If this really is actively his doing, I guess he's trying to branch out into weird etheric soul-surgery or something.

He's probably had some experience in weird etheric soul-surgery for a while now, given that he apparently tried to save Surma for so long.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Probably, yeah. I don't think he'd have been doing it at a distance like this, though, if that's what's happening here.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Random thought that crossed my mind: What if Tony is ON Microsat 5 and actually conducting surgery from up there?

This would also be a cool explanation as to why his call couldn't be traced.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
GC Forest Krew represent:

Also, Annie needs to calm down:

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 2, 2012

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

With all this etheric mind-fuckery, the next chapter featuring Coyote seems less and less like something to look forward to. :gonk:

It will be disturbing and terrifying, but so very beautiful.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Random thought that crossed my mind: What if Tony is ON Microsat 5 and actually conducting surgery from up there?

Microsatellites are normally not large enough for a person to walk around in. Those are called space stations.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Coyote chapters are the best chapters :colbert:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm surprised that no one has discussed the most important reveal of this page:

Zimmy is from Australia!

What do you mean they also say 'mate' in other countries?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ymgve posted:

Zimmy is from Australia!

You know we got it from somewhere, right?

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Literally Sharks posted:

Microsatellites are normally not large enough for a person to walk around in. Those are called space stations.

He's just clinging on to the outside as it flies in orbit.

He heard about Coyote's stint as the moon and wanted to give it a try.

e: I have a good feeling that this prediction is accurate.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Literally Sharks posted:

Microsat 5 is clearly just a delivery mechanism for Macrosat 5. :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

YF-23 posted:

This would also be a cool explanation as to why his call couldn't be traced.

It's called "Microsat," when even normal-size satellites aren't fit for human habitation.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Obviously Tony shrunk himself. GOSH.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bongo Bill posted:

It's called "Microsat," when even normal-size satellites aren't fit for human habitation.

What if satellites are actually normally loving huge in Gunnerkrigg? What if they only classify the moon as a full-size satellite? What if Coyote likeD the word enough that he made it so it would only refer to him and his stolen property :v:

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ymgve posted:

Zimmy is from Australia!

What do you mean they also say 'mate' in other countries?

I heard that line in an East End accent. Reckon Zimmy's a Londoner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Leovinus posted:

I heard that line in an East End accent. Reckon Zimmy's a Londoner.

She's from Birmingham.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
You know, after the Coyote chapter, I certainly hope that we see something we haven't seen in a long time

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

MikeJF posted:

She's from Birmingham.
Birmingham, Australia, whatever.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

A student posted:

Would it be like TOS Star Trek or TNG Star Trek ?

Galaxy Quest.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Literally Sharks posted:

Bongo Bill posted:

I know Gunnerkrigg is a comic to get stuff like this correct, but we've already seen that Don and Tony use etheric technology which differentiates their projects from real-life ones. There's nothing to assure us that this is a normal, regular microsatellite and not a big one, or hell, that it isn't larger on the inside than what it looks like from the outside (using perhaps similar technology/magic to Don's matter-displacement door).

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Yeahhhhh it's Monday can't wait for today's page

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

But at least it's going to have pretty pages!

To me, the Coyote chapters are fun because there are a whole bunch of different art styles used. Also, there are inevitably questions that're never to be answered.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Hello there, Jack.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Okay so that's pretty creepy. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012