Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I like turtles posted:

I live in Tucson Arizona. I'm thinking I should take a vacation and go to San Diego and eat food and do stuff, since it isn't that far away.

Stuff on my list to do:
Midway Naval Museum
Scripps Institute aquarium
San Diego Zoo
???

Food to eat:
poo poo tons of relatively affordable and definitely fresh seafood

What other stuff should I do? I am a military history nerd, and aquariums/zoos are pretty cool. Not a huge fan of theme parks, but might could do Sea World.

Where should I go for the seafood? Multiple places would be more than fine.

What else should I eat? I don't feel a huge need for Mexican food, since I live in Tucson and can get excellent Mexican food easily.
I don't know what this has to do with food but if you like military history check out the Marine aerospace museum. I know you said you don't feel a big need for Mexican food but San Diego Mexican food includes our city's only real "this is our food" food, which is the fish taco. You could spend your entire time in San Diego eating various varieties of fish taco. I doubt Tucson has much in the way of fish tacos worth talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I know you said you don't feel a big need for Mexican food but San Diego Mexican food includes our city's only real "this is our food" food, which is the fish taco.

That's not necessarily true. You also have the California Burrito, friend of drunk and hungover college students across SoCal, originated near San Diego.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Fair enough, I'm sure the fish tacos are a hell of a lot better than here. I'll definitely keep an eye out.
Searsucker looks tasty, Marine aviation too.

I think food wise I'm more specifically looking for the awesome-food/dive-location sorts of places

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 4, 2012

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GrAviTy84 posted:

That's not necessarily true. You also have the California Burrito, friend of drunk and hungover college students across SoCal, originated near San Diego.

Wow I'm kind of bummed I didn't try this, I figured most of the burritos there would be Mission-style. Next time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sigh, yes, we have the California Burrito. I like to think of it as the son that I try to disown because he is an abomination that is constantly crammed full of french fries.

edit: I suppose I can recommend El Zarape and, with slightly less zeal, Los Panchos in terms of dive locations that you might enjoy. I have also heard good things about Punjabi Tandoor which, despite its location 10 minutes from my house, I have never tried.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 4, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sigh, yes, we have the California Burrito. I like to think of it as the son that I try to disown because he is an abomination that is constantly crammed full of french fries.

A burrito full of french fries sounds like the perfect food for a drunk, what's the problem?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

A burrito full of french fries sounds like the perfect food for a drunk, what's the problem?
I guess I just feel like out of the dozens of delicious things that can end up in a burrito, french fries are just a cop out. They're mostly flavorless potato, and although I can definitely appreciate the need for a burrito with as many calories as humanly possible, in terms of taste I'd rather have anything else in there. Beans or rice, for instance, pack in the filler in much more flavorful ways.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

It is. Carne asada, fries, pico de gallo, cheese. It's wonderful when drunk or recovering from drunk. He's probably just sad it's not authentic, but burritos are really a far northern Mexico thing, the bulk of the country does not burrito. so :v:

If it tastes good, eat it.

Edit: Sounds like you just need to get a good one. Fries need to not be soggy, meat needs to be seasoned heavily, it evens out, and the fries add a really cool texture. Haters gonna hate, but I like me a CA burrito from time to time.

Edit 2: potatoes have the same baseline amount of flavor as rice or beans, that is to say, not much. All three are filler, if it is bland it is because it is not seasoned appropriately, this is true for rice and beans as well.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 4, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've regularly seen the California, Arizona and Texano burritos here in Tucson. The California is the only one that is consistent in composition, though. I think the Texano is usually fries, shredded chicken in the red chili sauce and sour cream. Not a great one in terms of staying together but pretty tasty.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I still haven't gotten used to not having fries in burritos since I moved from SoCal.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I want to make a bunch of shredded chicken to blend with a sauce and use as a filling for burritos.

How do I turn a bunch of raw chicken thighs into cooked shredded goodness?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My godmother made mole rojo and now I have a tupperware full of sauce with nothing to put it on. What would be the best way to cook up some chicken so that I can then slather it in mole and eat it with Mexican rice?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
To be honest, I grew up in San Diego (well county, inland) and only like, a third of the California burritos I had had fries in them, well, french fries. They usually just had potatoes that were diced and cooked with the meat on the griddle. Or home fries style potatoes. Actually french fries were pretty rare.

I have had actual Carne Asada fries a bunch of times, you know like nachoes but with fries instead of chips.

I like turtles posted:

I've regularly seen the California, Arizona and Texano burritos here in Tucson. The California is the only one that is consistent in composition, though. I think the Texano is usually fries, shredded chicken in the red chili sauce and sour cream. Not a great one in terms of staying together but pretty tasty.

Yeah now that I live in Kansas the dingy mexican shack I go to for burritos has the California and the Texano and its pretty much like that, fries chicken red sauce. The California is potatoes carne and guac. I have never heard of an Arizona burrito tho and I can't imagine its not terrible :colbert:

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 4, 2012

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I bought a really nice bit of pork belly from a fancy pants butcher yesterday. I've never made anything with pork belly before and could use some suggestions on successful treatments you guys have tried in the past. I'm a little overwhelmed by the different recipes online and could use a little focus. Thanks in advance.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Kenning posted:

My godmother made mole rojo and now I have a tupperware full of sauce with nothing to put it on. What would be the best way to cook up some chicken so that I can then slather it in mole and eat it with Mexican rice?

Onions, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper, diced peppers (jalapeño or something). Chunk up the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat up some oil over medium heat, cook the chicken until it's nice and golden brown on the outside but still a little tender/pinkish in the middle. Move to a HOT PLATE and throw the diced onions and peppers into the oil. Cook till softened. Add the chicken back in then add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, cumin and chopped cilantro. Goosh in some cheapie Mexican beer (Corona works fine) to deglaze the bottom. The beer should bubble and foam like mad and cook off. Time to add the red mole sauce. Turn the heat down and simmer it for a half hour or so. Pull one of the chicken chunks out and see if it's cooked all the way through. It should be tender and full of delicious mole goodness. If not, take a siesta and come back in an hour.

Alternate method: throw chopped chicken into a pot with the red mole, turn heat onto simmer and walk away for an hour or so. Come back and stir now and again until the chicken is cooked. You lazy bastard.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

What's a pretty good crab leg recipe that's hard to gently caress up? I've never cooked crab legs before and it seems they come pre cooked and frozen, the recipes I have seen online state to boil water, reduce heat and drop thawed legs in to the water for a few minutes. They also state we can put seasoning in the water but I don't know what to put in the water.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What's the logic for not consuming the water that dry beans have soaked in overnight?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

JackRabbitStorm posted:

What's a pretty good crab leg recipe that's hard to gently caress up? I've never cooked crab legs before and it seems they come pre cooked and frozen, the recipes I have seen online state to boil water, reduce heat and drop thawed legs in to the water for a few minutes. They also state we can put seasoning in the water but I don't know what to put in the water.

Dump a shitload of old bay in, traditionally

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Koskinator posted:

I want to make a bunch of shredded chicken to blend with a sauce and use as a filling for burritos.

How do I turn a bunch of raw chicken thighs into cooked shredded goodness?

The short version would be to simmer in a flavorful sauce until tender, which could mean a couple hours in an oven. I'll see if I can dig up one of the recipes I have for making shredded chicken for tacos. A little rearranging and it would probably be good for burritos.

That being said, maybe I'm weird, but for pulled applications I kind of have to question thighs. I guess you could pull the skin off first, and then slow cook them for a while, but I thought this was one of those few good uses for boneless breast... v :( v

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Bo-Pepper posted:

I bought a really nice bit of pork belly from a fancy pants butcher yesterday. I've never made anything with pork belly before and could use some suggestions on successful treatments you guys have tried in the past. I'm a little overwhelmed by the different recipes online and could use a little focus. Thanks in advance.

Hong shao rou is all you need. Get ye to the chinese thread. (sperling may be off, posting from phone)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

What's the logic for not consuming the water that dry beans have soaked in overnight?

Because some beans are toxic and you don't want to use the soaking water. For kidney and red beans you have to give them a good boil to clear out the nasty stuff.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh, so boiling them in the soak water looks to be enough to clean it up; I guess I lose that argument. Thanks!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I want to try making beef rendang soon, because it's probably my favorite Indonesian food, and I'm looking for a good recipe. Anybody have any suggestions?

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I've been messing around with using malt powder in a couple of bread recipes tweaking ratios between yeast/malt/sugar/etc and that is going ok, but malt powder is ~$10/lb and all generally seems to be the same. I had thought that I could use brewer's malted barley that is still diastatic to varying degrees: maybe sacrificing some enzymatic action for flavor. The only problem I see (so far) is that I can't seem to get the drat hulls off the things, as brewer's malts all seem to come with the hulls on, for some mysterious filtering process it turns out.

in short: How do I get the hulls off of malted barley? And is this a viable thing for baking bread?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Rock tumbler. No rocks.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

poop device posted:

I've been messing around with using malt powder in a couple of bread recipes tweaking ratios between yeast/malt/sugar/etc and that is going ok, but malt powder is ~$10/lb and all generally seems to be the same. I had thought that I could use brewer's malted barley that is still diastatic to varying degrees: maybe sacrificing some enzymatic action for flavor. The only problem I see (so far) is that I can't seem to get the drat hulls off the things, as brewer's malts all seem to come with the hulls on, for some mysterious filtering process it turns out.

in short: How do I get the hulls off of malted barley? And is this a viable thing for baking bread?

I used to buy bags of diastatic malt powder from...King Arthur maybe? For bread baking. I haven't in awhile because I've been forcibly traveled for work but I think they had something like that.

Oh its like 6 bucks a Lb, not much better.

dad.
Apr 25, 2010

poop device posted:

Make sure the flour you're using is unmalted and also an actual flour for breadmaking, so it has strength. Virtually all AP flours, and all bread flours will already be enzymatically balanced with an addition of malted barley flour set at the mill. Adding additional diastatic malt will break down excessive amounts of amylopectin in the dough which is basically the substrate that binds gluten, much in the same way as resin holds fiberglass together. The bread will be rich in free sugars and bake red, but it will also be a gummy brick.

If you're using non-diastatic malt powder (powdered maltose), there's a modification in the fermentation going on the dough, particularly with sourdough bacteria and yeasts. Every micro-organism will feed on a different substrate, resulting in different byproducts, be they sugars or alcohols, which due to the beauty of nature feeds another organism. Several yeasts won't touch maltose and multiple lactobacilli feed on it, produce waste glucose which pumps up the fermentation on acetobacilli. You'll most likely start to notice more pungence in the bread, though it might not necessarily be bad. One sugar is not another and each has their own result.

Removing the hulls: outside of purchasing small scale milling equipment, you're out of luck. I took the approach when I did malts in bread of doing an overnight room temperature mashing of the grains in the remaining water after scaling for preferments.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Wahad posted:

So I want to try making beef rendang soon, because it's probably my favorite Indonesian food, and I'm looking for a good recipe. Anybody have any suggestions?

I enjoyed this one, though I thought it was even better with a bit of Kecap Manis drizzled on top at the end. Maybe there's a better recipe out there, but I highly recommend using their technique of making a nice big batch of toasted coconut flakes (use good fresh unsweetened ones and toast them yourself, it's easy) as a base.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
No, seriously, a rock tumbler and milled grains. That's how grains are polished (de-hulled); white rice is the best example.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm making tofu this weekend. Does anyone have any tips or things to watch out for when for making it?

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

I like turtles posted:

San Diego stuff...

Go to Stone Brewery in Escondido, north county SD. http://www.stonebrew.com/ The brewery tour is free but fills up fast. The restaurant is expensive but totally worth it. Balboa Park is awesome, free to walk around, and has a bunch of museums to go to if you'd like. If you're into beer and micro brews, go to Pizza Port. http://www.pizzaport.com/category-s/1819.htm They brew their own as well as stocking other local breweries, the selection changes almost nightly. I would recommend catching a sunset in Ocean Beach, and going to their OB location a block away from the pier. There are a lot of other local breweries to check out and the tours are great fun. We do have an aquarium, Birch, but I warn you its small. http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/ Gaslamp district is fun, but way over priced and touristy. Another great sunset spot is Torrey Pines. http://www.torreypine.org/ This is the food thread so I will back away slowly now and let you get to your regularly scheduled program.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'd skip Stone, it is probably the most overrated brewery in the area. Hit up Lost Abbey/Port and Alesmith instead.

I also didn't care for Stone's restaurant, sorry.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

No, seriously, a rock tumbler and milled grains. That's how grains are polished (de-hulled); white rice is the best example.

I had tried hand hulling and my first thought was I feel like a human rock tumbler, so I can definitely see this.

FishBulb posted:

I used to buy bags of diastatic malt powder from...King Arthur maybe? For bread baking. I haven't in awhile because I've been forcibly traveled for work but I think they had something like that.

Oh its like 6 bucks a Lb, not much better.

That is a better than what I had been paying, if I can't make brewer's malt work for me (vaguely stout-ey beer tasting pretzels/bagels/etc?) then I will do this, thank you.

dad. posted:

Make sure the flour you're using is unmalted and also an actual flour for breadmaking, so it has strength. Virtually all AP flours, and all bread flours will already be enzymatically balanced with an addition of malted barley flour set at the mill. Adding additional diastatic malt will break down excessive amounts of amylopectin in the dough which is basically the substrate that binds gluten, much in the same way as resin holds fiberglass together. The bread will be rich in free sugars and bake red, but it will also be a gummy brick.

If you're using non-diastatic malt powder (powdered maltose), there's a modification in the fermentation going on the dough, particularly with sourdough bacteria and yeasts. Every micro-organism will feed on a different substrate, resulting in different byproducts, be they sugars or alcohols, which due to the beauty of nature feeds another organism. Several yeasts won't touch maltose and multiple lactobacilli feed on it, produce waste glucose which pumps up the fermentation on acetobacilli. You'll most likely start to notice more pungence in the bread, though it might not necessarily be bad. One sugar is not another and each has their own result.

Removing the hulls: outside of purchasing small scale milling equipment, you're out of luck. I took the approach when I did malts in bread of doing an overnight room temperature mashing of the grains in the remaining water after scaling for preferments.

This...was much more educational than I had hoped. I had been able to find little more than some vague references to amylase and diastase. I had thought maltose was like fish flakes for yeast. You've been a great help!

Also, I realize that mills add malted barley to balance their flour but is it sort of a general purpose balance, and might not be suited to all bread products?

poop device fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 5, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

poop device posted:

This...was much more educational than I had hoped. I had been able to find little more than some vague references to amylase and diastase. I had thought maltose was like fish flakes for yeast. You've been a great help!

This. Dad., where can I read more about this? Tell me there's a good book. :ohdear:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd skip Stone, it is probably the most overrated brewery in the area.

Really? I love me some Stone. poo poo's tasty.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 5, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Doh004 posted:

Is this for real? poo poo's tasty.

People have different opinions! I don't really really like Stone either. I guess if you like macho posturing and excessive hops its alright.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Breweries I universally dislike (with nothing but subjective personal reasons) despite other people clearly loving them nationwide:

Troegs
Sierra Nevada
Rogue
Heavy Seas
Saranac
Flying Dog

Different strokes etc.

I'm trying so hard to keep liking Victory but it seems like every year everything has more of their signature hop in it and less of any other flavor. When the whitbier tastes like the pils and they both taste like Hop Devil, it's time to take a step back. Golden Monkey's become hard to drink because of it and even Storm King has that twang now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Really? I love me some Stone. poo poo's tasty.

For the region they are lackluster. There are way better breweries there and it is obvious if you visit them that their focus is no longer making the best beer they can but making good beer at a national scale. Oh yeah, and building the silliest brew site ever. I wouldn't say they're awful (I didn't) but they are in the same tier as Sierra, Widmer, Rogue, etc. You can get them everywhere. If you're gonna come to San Diego, go to a place that you can't just go to a local shop and pick up a sixer or a 22 oz of. But then again, I also think going to New York and eating at Applebees is dumb, but a lot of people seem to think it's a good idea.

Seriously: Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, Alesmith.

Splizwarf posted:

Breweries I universally dislike (with nothing but subjective personal reasons) despite other people clearly loving them nationwide:

I was just in Long Island for work for the last 2 weeks and I just tried that Saranac stuff. drat that stuff was the blandest bland ever blanded. Picked up a sampler case and everything was unremarkable.

I do like Rogue. I think it is their proprietary yeast that I myself use in my homebrews. Maybe it is their finesse with hops. I don't know but they are one of those breweries that is getting massively distributed that still produces beer above their tier, IMO (like Deschutes, New Belgium, Lagunitas, Bear Republic). They're no Russian River, Lost Abbey, or Ommegang, but I still really enjoy their beers. Morimoto soba ale, on tap, is the best summer beer IMO.

I gotta give props to both Sierra and Stone (and Sam Adams) though. They were a starbucks of sorts. Before these breweries, American beer was Budwiser, Miller, Coors. They (Sam Adams first, then the others followed) opened the door to the world of craft brewing to America, and as a result created a whole new food culture and revitalized the hobby of homebrewing.

The nice thing about Sierra/Stone/Sam/Widmer/et al. is that now when you get dragged to Chili's for a work dinner you have some pretty alright choices compared to not too long ago.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 5, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GrAviTy84 posted:

For the region they are lackluster. There are way better breweries there and it is obvious if you visit them that their focus is no longer making the best beer they can but making good beer at a national scale. Oh yeah, and building the silliest brew site ever. I wouldn't say they're awful (I didn't) but they are in the same tier as Sierra, Widmer, Rogue, etc. You can get them everywhere. If you're gonna come to San Diego, go to a place that you can't just go to a local shop and pick up a sixer or a 22 oz of. But then again, I also think going to New York and eating at Applebees is dumb, but a lot of people seem to think it's a good idea.

Since I like turtles lives in Tucson, he can buy Alesmith at Bevmo. Or at least you could when I lived there, which was a number of years ago; I doubt things have changed. I don't know if they have a restaurant, but if they don't, Alesmith is perfectly accessible in Tucson. I don't remember if the other beers are available in Tucson, though...if they have any distribution outside of San Diego at all I'd bet they are.

Still, they make tasty beer so drink some on tap if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I was just in Long Island for work for the last 2 weeks and I just tried that Saranac stuff. drat that stuff was the blandest bland ever blanded. Picked up a sampler case and everything was unremarkable.

I do like Rogue. I think it is their proprietary yeast that I myself use in my homebrews. Maybe it is their finesse with hops. I don't know but they are one of those breweries that is getting massively distributed that still produces beer above their tier, IMO (like Deschutes, New Belgium, Lagunitas, Bear Republic). They're no Russian River, Lost Abbey, or Ommegang, but I still really enjoy their beers. Morimoto soba ale, on tap, is the best summer beer IMO.

I gotta give props to both Sierra and Stone (and Sam Adams) though. They were a starbucks of sorts. Before these breweries, American beer was Budwiser, Miller, Coors. They (Sam Adams first, then the others followed) opened the door to the world of craft brewing to America, and as a result created a whole new food culture and revitalized the hobby of homebrewing.

The nice thing about Sierra/Stone/Sam/Widmer/et al. is that now when you get dragged to Chili's for a work dinner you have some pretty alright choices compared to not too long ago.

This is a good post.

Also are you home now and can give me that pickle recipe?