Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

This Kevin Hart episode is totally skippable, right?

Yeah it's just one long humble brag with Marc occasionally piping in with awkward questions about the black comic community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Going through some older episodes now. I did not expect the Michael Cera interview to be that fun - it turned out to be awesome. Currently going through the Tambor interview - that guy's constantly on the verge of being the nicest person ever and a total rear end in a top hat. Arrested Development can't come back soon enough :allears:

negative x
Jan 28, 2009

JAZZ.

Groucho Marxist posted:

This Kevin Hart episode is totally skippable, right?

I don't know, I really liked it. His career really fell apart for a while and he found a way to get it back together. To me, it really humanized him.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MoPZiG posted:

Yeah it's just one long humble brag with Marc occasionally piping in with awkward questions about the black comic community.

Hmm. I disagree completely. I found it very insightful. For one, he did mention his intent on being a "crossover" comic. And it wasn't really humble bragging. It was being legit. He had a really fast meteoric start that stalled out, but he certainly is killing the stand up game...no brag.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
The Bob Zmuda interview can be pretty fun at times --the Norman Wexler stuff is great-- but I really didn't like him trying to perpetuate the "Andy Kaufman may or may not actually be dead thing" and it seems like Marc wasn't buying it either. Also the thing where "Tony Clifton is real, people just do impersonations of him" is kinda wacky too. Tony Clifton is Dread Pirate Roberts now?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Check out these two bros just broing out. So weird seeing them as children.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
lol it's Goyle and Harry loving Potter

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
And here are the two of them combined:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Auritech posted:

The Bob Zmuda interview can be pretty fun at times --the Norman Wexler stuff is great-- but I really didn't like him trying to perpetuate the "Andy Kaufman may or may not actually be dead thing" and it seems like Marc wasn't buying it either. Also the thing where "Tony Clifton is real, people just do impersonations of him" is kinda wacky too. Tony Clifton is Dread Pirate Roberts now?

I loved this ep so much it is totally in my top ten wtfs. Has anyone heard the Chelsea Handler one? I am kinda scared to listen to it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I loved this ep so much it is totally in my top ten wtfs. Has anyone heard the Chelsea Handler one? I am kinda scared to listen to it.

It's pretty uneventful.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

It's pretty uneventful.

I like her less now than I did before listening. Typically its the reverse with Maron's podcast.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

Bunk Rogers posted:

I like her less now than I did before listening. Typically its the reverse with Maron's podcast.
My sentiments exactly. And I didn't like her much before.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I absolutely lost it at the emails on Monday's live show. Maron gets into the most bizarre situations with people.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The latest episode with Danny McBride is a lot of fun, and McBride is way more likeable than his roles would have you believe.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Paula Poundstone is on the latest. This seems like it could become very very interesting.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Groucho Marxist posted:

Paula Poundstone is on the latest. This seems like it could become very very interesting.

Most boring WTF perhaps ever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Most boring WTF perhaps ever.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DrVenkman posted:

The latest episode with Danny McBride is a lot of fun, and McBride is way more likeable than his roles would have you believe.

Yeah, this was a really enjoyable episode, I have to say. Danny had some really great stories, especially about his ex-girlfriend.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I enjoyed the Craig Ferguson one a lot too if anyone was on the fence about it (not sure why would would be). Had some interesting stuff to say and showed a side of him not usually seen (which is basically the ideal WTF).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Something about Marc really grates on me but he's the best when talking to someone like Craig Ferguson or Anthony Bordain because of their shared drug experiences. I was disappointed by Chris Elliot and Paula Poundstone, two of my first and favorite comedians. He goes into shop talk about the specific industry stuff that becomes name dropping for 20 minutes about stuff only they can relate to.

Mindy Kaling was the most boring WTF. I have tried to listen to it so many times.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to this podcast for months now and one of the things I both love and hate about Marc as an interviewer is how transparent he is about the amount of respect he has for his guest. Sometimes in blatant ways, like when a comedian is a young jock-ish type guy and Marc feels the guy doesn't belong among the group of misfits he sees comedians as being, and he openly insults or gives constant backhanded compliments to the guy. On the other side are guests Marc clearly has a lot of respect for -- there have been interviews (Bob Odenkirk comes to mind) where Marc hardly says a word and the guest just monologues at length.

Then there are times like in this interview with Craig Ferguson, where Marc cannot go 10 seconds without interrupting or talking over him. It's annoying. It reads to me as a lack of respect, which doesn't seem like it could be possible given Craig's general good nature, his shared substance abuse problems, and his long career as a comedian. I don't want to read too deeply into it, but I do wish Marc would have shut up and just let Craig talk since he's interesting.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

temple posted:

Something about Marc really grates on me but he's the best when talking to someone like Craig Ferguson or Anthony Bordain because of their shared drug experiences. I was disappointed by Chris Elliot and Paula Poundstone, two of my first and favorite comedians. He goes into shop talk about the specific industry stuff that becomes name dropping for 20 minutes about stuff only they can relate to.

Mindy Kaling was the most boring WTF. I have tried to listen to it so many times.

I liked the Chris Elliot one. But I guess I may have been blinded by the nostalgia from remembering Get A Life.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I saw Cabin Boy the theaters and the original run of Get of Life. I like Chris Elliot. But Marc's interview with him was just bland and pointless. I didn't feel like I learned anything about Chris, which I think Marc gets so into his relationship with his guests that if they aren't bestest buds or mortal enemies, it sounds like two old geezers reminiscing about poo poo no one cares about.

I think Marc works harder when he doesn't know or doesn't like the guest. But when he knows or likes them, he kind of rambles or sucks up to them and all that neurosis because annoying.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

http://astrecords.bigcartel.com/product/wtf-with-marc-maron-the-first-100-episodes

Legendary comedian and heralded podcaster MARC MARON announces the release of the 'WTF WITH MARC MARON' box set. The two-disc set, packaged in die-cut limited edition release of 1,000 copies, includes the first 100 episodes of Maron's phenomenal podcast which has been called "Required Listening" by the likes of New York Magazine, New York Times, Huffington Post, Vanity Fair, and GQ, and "A fascinating hour" by Entertainment Weekly. With over 100 hours of content, the WTF box set features Maron's compelling, in-depth interviews with Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Zach Galifianakis, Dane Cook, Sarah Silverman, Patton Oswalt and the now-infamous two-part interview with Carlos Mencia, plus many more classic WTFs featuring the top entertainers working today.

The set is comprised of two data DVD's, each containing 50 high quality MP3s.

In addition to audio files of the first 100 WTF episodes, the 'WTF With Marc Maron' box set includes video of WTF Live taped at The Bell House in Brooklyn (WTF Episode 213). The live show features Maron with an all-star guest line up which includes Artie Lange, Morgan Spurlock, Ira Glass, Elna Baker, Nick DiPaolo, Nick Griffin, Joe Mande, and Wayne Koestenbaum onstage in Fall 2011.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I only just discovered this podcast and I really like it. Scanning the list of episodes I realise I don't really know most of the people he interviews because I'm a brit and generally have big blind spots for certain areas of entertainment any way.

I only just heard the paula poundstone, and bo burnham shows but he is a really good talker. It's a really interesting way of getting to know people. I was just looking up bo burham's videos on youtbe.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

That Ron Shock interview was ultimate Maron. That's was a cool old dude! I must have missed it the first time around, though I had premium.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Crossposting from Best Show thread.

Tom Scharpling did another show with Marc Maron. It's $2.99 on iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/th...how/id531038918

Haven't heard yet but I'm sure it's worth much more than the current price.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know if most americans even know who russell brand is, but his episode is excellent.

He is one of those marmite type of characters that inspires rage in so called "real men" but I think he is a perfect interview partner for marc with their personal histories of addiction etc.

Marc Maron is quickly becoming my favourite non sport/gaming/music podcast.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Jippa posted:

I don't know if most americans even know who russell brand is, but his episode is excellent.

Seriously? He basically starred in a few big budget comedies over the last 3 or 4 years, plus the whole Katy Perry marriage.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

Seriously? He basically starred in a few big budget comedies over the last 3 or 4 years, plus the whole Katy Perry marriage.

Cool, coming from my blinkered perspective I never know exactly what is what. I didn't realise he was so big your side of the pond.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

HateTheInternet posted:

Sooo probably not a majority of Americans know him, judging from those credits.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Even if he only did stand up and had zero acting credits, an embarrassingly high number of Americans would still know about him from being married to Katy Perry. Kevin Federline became a household name, and all he did before marrying Britney Spears was appear in music videos as a backup dancer.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Sooo probably not a majority of Americans know him, judging from those credits.

Trust me, people know who he is. And if they think they don't by name they would certainly recognize him by face.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

People know who Brand is but no one cares outside of Hollywood.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He's also hosted SNL and didn't he do the MTV Movie Awards (or maybe music?) as well?

I still have the original Jonathan Ross podcast on my HDD, I should listen to it again. His old podcast was a great listen I thought.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I didn't realise people like Tony Clifton still existed.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jippa posted:

I didn't realise people like Tony Clifton still existed.

You do realize he's a character right? If not that's awesome.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Screw Tony Clifton, :swoon:Craig Finn:swoon:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jippa posted:

Cool, coming from my blinkered perspective I never know exactly what is what. I didn't realise he was so big your side of the pond.

He's kind of like Sacha Baron Cohen in that he's tall with dark hair and most people know who he is, but aren't quite sure why British people think he's funny.

But speaking of guests, it feels like Paula Poundstone started a string of guests I've never heard of (or that I don't care about like Poundstone). So, I haven't been listing at all. I'm looking forward to the Odenkirk/Cross episode but would anyone recommend any of the other recent episodes? (Killer Beeaz, Bo Burnham, Craig Finn, Rick Shapiro, Kurt Braunohler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
I liked Killer Beaz. Rick Shapiro is a wonderful type of crazy and has a great talk with Marc. I haven't start the rest of the ones you listed, but Bo Burnham is boring as hell.

• Locked thread