Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

a shameful boehner posted:

Speaking of calendars, are there any good, resizable calendar widgets that'd work well on a tablet? I've looked in the market and there doesn't really seem to be any, as they're either mostly geared towards phones or aren't resizable. I just want a nice, homescreen filling calendar on my 10" tablet that I can look at when I want to.

I use Android Pro Widgets on my Touchpad and it works great. Tons of really well done themes too (Lucid being a personal favorite).

It comes with a whole lot more than just a calendar widget so it might be overkill for your needs though.

In other widget news, Tabr (super customizable tabbed widget from the dude who made Agenda widget) is really loving cool and currently free in the market while in beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

god the facebook app just gets worse and worse.

I load it up, it displays all my poo poo, then I try to scroll and the screen goes back to 'loading'

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there an app that will let me get group text messages from iPhone people? Not sure why this isn't default in Ice Cream Sandwhich SMS app.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Doctor Butts posted:

I load it up, it displays all my poo poo, then I try to scroll and the screen goes back to 'loading'

With every new version, the GPS polling at startup pisses me off more and more. Since the latest update, I'm also frequently getting partially loaded feeds. Like, it'll just be text, stripped of formatting and links and images. If I refresh it returns to normal.

I'm at the point where I only use the app for push notifications and use the mobile site for everything else (including reading said notifications).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Plume finally got the update to version 4.0* :toot:

• Add Facebook support.
  • Add support for multiple accounts sending.
  • Add support for regional trends.
  • Add Instagram pictures preview.
  • Bring back the jump to top menu action.
  • Allow adding/removing users from your lists.
  • Allow deleting a saved search by long clicking on it.
  • Make the 'x new tweets' item clickable to refresh the list.
  • Fix the DM reply from the widget on Android 3.0+.
  • Disable the airplane mode check as some abuse it and enable wifi anyway.

:siren::dance:FACEBOOK SUPPORT:dance::siren:

It might not replace the Facebook app yet (or never for some people depending) but it's cool that they finally added it in.

*It hasn't hit the Play Store yet, so you can only download the update through the Beta Forum: http://levelupstudio.com/betatest/index.php?topic=189.0

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 1, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The other day when I was out for a run and using Endomodo, it frequently (at least two dozen times in my two mile run) would pause, and then unpause about two seconds later (complete with computerized voice lady saying 'paused' and 'resumed'.)

Anyone know why it might be doing this, or experienced this? At first I thought maybe it was the "vibrations" doing it, but that wasn't it...the screen stayed locked, so that wasn't it...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Skeezy posted:

• Disable the airplane mode check as some abuse it and enable wifi anyway.

What is this trying to say? Is it not normal to turn on airplane mode and then enable wifi? I thought that was the standard procedure someplace with bad signal and wifi available (like inside a house). :confused:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splizwarf posted:

What is this trying to say? Is it not normal to turn on airplane mode and then enable wifi? I thought that was the standard procedure someplace with bad signal and wifi available (like inside a house). :confused:
I guess it's normal for people who don't like making/taking calls.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Or, you know, people who use voip apps like Skype or GrooveIP.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

By "bad signal", I meant "not enough signal to make/take calls", ie bad enough that turning the cell radio off is a good idea because otherwise it'll drain the battery lickety-split. I should have been more specific.

Also, if you're using Google Voice, just route to the landline while you're there.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 1, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Facebook isn't really as great on Plume as I thought it would be but I guess that's expected. I hope they can push Plume to do as much with Facebook as a third party app is allowed.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Leathal posted:

I use Android Pro Widgets on my Touchpad and it works great. Tons of really well done themes too (Lucid being a personal favorite).

It comes with a whole lot more than just a calendar widget so it might be overkill for your needs though.

In other widget news, Tabr (super customizable tabbed widget from the dude who made Agenda widget) is really loving cool and currently free in the market while in beta.

I know I should probably just fiddle around with it, but I tried APW and didn't like it because of the ugly black bar at the top of the calendar widgets that reminded me a little too much of the Sense skins. Is there any way to customize that that I was missing?

Also, Tabr looks awesome. Gonna download that as soon as I get home tonight.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Why did he use the word "abuse", though?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DrBouvenstein posted:

The other day when I was out for a run and using Endomodo, it frequently (at least two dozen times in my two mile run) would pause, and then unpause about two seconds later (complete with computerized voice lady saying 'paused' and 'resumed'.)

Anyone know why it might be doing this, or experienced this? At first I thought maybe it was the "vibrations" doing it, but that wasn't it...the screen stayed locked, so that wasn't it...

I stopped using Endomodo and switched back to CardioTrainer for this very reason. IIRC, it's the detect-when-you've-stopped-and-pause-your-workout feature not working correctly.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Penguissimo posted:

Why did he use the word "abuse", though?
Maybe it was a way to avoid seeing ads in their free version?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
They'd still get them as soon as the wifi ticked on, unless he implemented it really weirdly. Data available = ads available.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Splizwarf posted:

They'd still get them as soon as the wifi ticked on, unless he implemented it really weirdly. Data available = ads available.
Based on the wording, "really weirdly" is exactly what it sounded like, especially for an app that requires network access to do anything useful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

I know I should probably just fiddle around with it, but I tried APW and didn't like it because of the ugly black bar at the top of the calendar widgets that reminded me a little too much of the Sense skins. Is there any way to customize that that I was missing?

Also, Tabr looks awesome. Gonna download that as soon as I get home tonight.
It's definitely possible since mine is entirely transparent at the moment.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

I removed the app from my phone ages ago.

And I can honestly say that I don't miss it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Is there anything available on Android which comes close to Apple's AirPlay? It's the one feature of the Mac/iPhone ecosystem which I'm jealous of, having seen it working at a friend's place. For those not in the know, this is AirPlay. Where an iPhone comes into it is that there's a remote control iPhone app which allows you to control the AirPlay system from your phone, and it's pretty slick.

I don't mind if it means you need dedicated hardware as that's exactly what AirPlay requires. I've tried DLNA and it doesn't really come close to what AirPlay does (and you're also restricted to only playing music stored on your phone).

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

rolleyes posted:

Is there anything available on Android which comes close to Apple's AirPlay? It's the one feature of the Mac/iPhone ecosystem which I'm jealous of, having seen it working at a friend's place. For those not in the know, this is AirPlay. Where an iPhone comes into it is that there's a remote control iPhone app which allows you to control the AirPlay system from your phone, and it's pretty slick.

I don't mind if it means you need dedicated hardware as that's exactly what AirPlay requires. I've tried DLNA and it doesn't really come close to what AirPlay does (and you're also restricted to only playing music stored on your phone).
What you should be looking for is a DLNA Control Point. The CP basically directs traffic from a DLNA Server to a DLNA Renderer(Player).
So you are not restricted to only playing music stored on your phone. The restriction is that the CP is not built into Android so you can't just redirect whatever media you are playing to another device. You need an app for that.

In my case I use BubbleUPnP on my phone to tell my QNAP NAS running whatever DLNA compatible server(Serviio, Mediatomb, Twonky etc) to stream a playlist, I've built in BubbleUPnP to my DLNA enabled Denon stereo.
BubbleUPnP also contains a local DLNA Server, so you can stream media stored on your phone to a DLNA Renderer of your choice.

Another app worth checking out, that does almost the same thing, is Skifta. A bit more polished UI, an easier way to stream from outside your own LAN but more closed off too.

I use both, but prefer BubbleUPnP. While the guys doing Skifta are nice and very helpful, I find that the single author of BubbleUPnP is quicker to fix bugs and push out changes.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Having read the app descriptions I'm still not entirely clear on whether they do what I'm looking for. For example, could I hook my laptop up my stereo and then use one of those apps to make the laptop play music (music which is stored on the laptop)? How about if you throw an external media library into the mix (so using the phone to control the laptop, which then plays music from the external library)?

Assume that the laptop and external media library support DLNA for the purposes of this.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yes, the idea is that the device that is sending the music, has a DLNA server. The device playing, has a DLNA Renderer/Player, and if you don't use the Player to browse for music to play, you can use a Control Point to tell the Server that it should play a particular piece of music on a certain Renderer/Player.

Windows Media Player is also DLNA compatible and can work both as a player, playing music from your NAS/Home Server(provided it runs DLNA compatible software), but can also act as a server, letting you stream music from your laptop to your phone.

If you just use your phone as a remote control, you could stream music from your Home Server to your laptop.

Just remember that this normally only works when all DLNA devices are on the same local network. If you by external media library mean something like Google Music or Spotify, it's a whole different thing.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah by external I just meant a NAS with a DLNA compatible media library on it. Having tried both of those, they work but only to a point which seems to be something common to DLNA gear whenever I've tried it. It seems to take ages to get a library listing, whether I use the NAS library or the WMP library on my laptop (they both have the same 20gb or so of music, one backs up the other). There seems to be around a 5 second gap between tracks as well, which is a little annoying at best and hopeless when listing to an album which requires gapless playback.

I encountered much of this when I previously experimented with DLNA just streaming from my phone rather than a seperate media library; DLNA is nice in theory but, certainly with my hardware/network, it's just not quite there yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rolleyes posted:

Yeah by external I just meant a NAS with a DLNA compatible media library on it. Having tried both of those, they work but only to a point which seems to be something common to DLNA gear whenever I've tried it. It seems to take ages to get a library listing, whether I use the NAS library or the WMP library on my laptop (they both have the same 20gb or so of music, one backs up the other). There seems to be around a 5 second gap between tracks as well, which is a little annoying at best and hopeless when listing to an album which requires gapless playback.

I encountered much of this when I previously experimented with DLNA just streaming from my phone rather than a seperate media library; DLNA is nice in theory but, certainly with my hardware/network, it's just not quite there yet.

This has been my (admittedly, limited) experience with DLNA, as well. Especially the library listing.

I find XBMC+the XBMC remote app to be super snappy and awesome, though. It would be great if it had a method of displaying media that was already on the phone, but alas, it doesn't.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
You can also co-opt the Airplay ecosystem to a large degree with an android phone. Once you've installed an Airport Express somewhere connected to your speaker system, start iTunes on your desktop/laptop. In iTunes, you'll see the Airport Express as a speaker option. Then get the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hyperfine.hftunes.release&hl=en Remote for iTunes app and connect it to iTunes. From the app, go the volume settings and you can choose to play through the AE in addition to (or instead of) the PC on which iTunes is installed.

To really upgrade the system, XBMC or a program called shairport will create additional AE-equivalent players on any PC you install them, so you can have PCs connected to speakers throughout your house all playing the same music. Possibly using a Raspberry Pi? Never tried it, but could work in principle.

Now, so far this depends on your music being on an external device accessed by iTunes. If you want to stream music from your phone directly, you'll have to figure something else out - for music, you could have everything downloaded to the offline source via Google Music or synced through a Dropbox folder monitored by iTunes, or if you're playing a youtube video, the XBMC app already integrates an option to "Send to XBMC" as an app to use to "open" youtube videos.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is there a way to disable syncing of a specific account under certain conditions, using Locale/Tasker/whatever?

I see Tasker supports 'autosync', but I can't tell if that's for all accounts or per-account without buying it.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Odette posted:

I removed the app from my phone ages ago.

And I can honestly say that I don't miss it.

I installed it on my new Droid Bionic, but I recently uninstalled it. It seems as though the Bionic has it built in to its functionality, unless that's just the mobile version of Facebook I'm looking at. The external FB app had the aforementioned slow loading issues and a noticeably less-streamlined layout.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Here's something I just got which is much simpler than DLNA if you are just interested in getting music from your phone to speakers in your house:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/wireless-speaker-adapter

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are there any good irc clients that can sync with a pc? I've been using trillian but the app doesn't support it :(

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Jensen posted:

Here's something I just got which is much simpler than DLNA if you are just interested in getting music from your phone to speakers in your house:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/wireless-speaker-adapter

Interesting, but I'm more looking at the phone as a remote for a larger external media library.

The airtunes emulation links + itunes remote posted above are an interesting option. I don't currently have itunes installed but I'm half tempted to set it up in a VM to see how it turns out.

Edit:
Particularly this one

Edit2:
vvv If there was a version of this for poached eggs I'd be all over it.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 3, 2012

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I don't remember who it was who recommended Egg Timer, but this app is amazing. If you like eggs, you NEED THIS. I just made the most incredible egg salad thanks to this.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Swiftkey 3 released an update the other day. It's a huge improvement for me as it fixes the one complaint I had about this version (the swipe to delete feature)

swiftkey posted:

This new Beta has
  • Improved prediction algorithms
  • Better, more consistent punctuation key behavior
  • Smarter Smart Space functionality (which will make it easier to enter email addresses etc)
  • A refined experience in Google Chrome Beta
  • Fixed missing predictions on the longpress of @ and .com
  • Improved gestures
  • Eliminated lag on letter pop-ups
  • Various other minor bug fixes and usability improvements

It's kind of odd that they switched the placement of punctuation like the question mark and exclamation point, but the new swipe to select feature works great. Just select the period and do a quick swipe left or right for whichever one you want.

download here

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

rolleyes posted:

The airtunes emulation links + itunes remote posted above are an interesting option. I don't currently have itunes installed but I'm half tempted to set it up in a VM to see how it turns out.

Edit:
Particularly this one

That's the program I use, very simple and straightforward. Why a VM, and why only halfway tempted? iTunes is a memory hog for sure, but it's hardly malware, and shaireport has practically no footprint at all. I leave both running on my HTPC 24/7 with no ill effects.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

berzerker posted:

That's the program I use, very simple and straightforward. Why a VM, and why only halfway tempted? iTunes is a memory hog for sure, but it's hardly malware, and shaireport has practically no footprint at all. I leave both running on my HTPC 24/7 with no ill effects.

A VM because last time I had any experience with iTunes it installed Bonjour which pretty much ruined my network, until some googling (on another network which actually had internet connectivity) suggested that Bonjour was the cause of those issues and I could find it and kill it.

And halfway tempted because setting up a VM is a bit of a hassle.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 3, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

rolleyes posted:

IIRC there were murmurs of a "streaming living room entertainment box" from Google passing through the FCC, so best bet would be to wait for Google I/O on June 27th. Apparently Google TV is still a thing too since they're holding sessions on it, so since it gets released in the UK in summer thats a thing to watch out for too.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Hell froze over: Instapaper for Android

Marco Arment interview here: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/4/3061780/marco-arment-talks-instapaper-for-android

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I'm looking for an app that that acts like a little notebook in which I can write down/type/sketch something quickly and then later return to it to flip though the pages.

Anything like that for ICS? It would be nice if it allows a mixture of typing and drawing on pages.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

KinkyJohn posted:

I'm looking for an app that that acts like a little notebook in which I can write down/type/sketch something quickly and then later return to it to flip though the pages.

Anything like that for ICS? It would be nice if it allows a mixture of typing and drawing on pages.

Evernote and Skitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Is there any reason to use this over Pocket?

• Locked thread