Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZuCT4PmurY&feature=related
Cat thinks it's a dog. The cat's grin just gets me. :3: I was having a bad day cause it's probably gonna be months before I get a dog but I'm better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rixatrix posted:

it's just hair. It grows out of hair follicles in the skin, which haven't been touched. It'll grow back in a few months in time for winter.

I've never commented when PI folks get up in arms about shaving double coated breeds, but it always confused me. It'll grow back.

I've heard in PI that shaving a double-coater will ruin the coat. How? I would like to see pictures or a description of what a coat ruined by shaving looks like. I'm very curious. I don't think I would shave a dog ever, maybe the belly like RazorBunny's friend. But enquiring minds want to know!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Steezo posted:

Buttercup

Please do this.

Also post more picture because I think your cat is fantastic :3:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

Radio! posted:

Please do this.

That's a little scary. Is it gonna eat me?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

One of my college classmates just posted a picture of her basset hound and it is SO fat :(

I don't think we're close enough anymore for me to say anything, either. Poor chubby pooch.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I've never commented when PI folks get up in arms about shaving double coated breeds, but it always confused me. It'll grow back.

I've heard in PI that shaving a double-coater will ruin the coat. How? I would like to see pictures or a description of what a coat ruined by shaving looks like. I'm very curious. I don't think I would shave a dog ever, maybe the belly like RazorBunny's friend. But enquiring minds want to know!

Basically the coat could come back in feeling broken, I've felt guard hairs not grow back properly leaving mostly undercoat or you can deal with a lot of ingrown hairs etc if you shave it too closely, and it generally takes a few shedding cycles to get back to normal, which is important since the coat also keeps the protected against other things such as bugs and brambles. But really, the undercoat is an insulator, which works for both heat and cold. In the heat it is important to keep the dogs well cooled and hydrated, but I'm in the camp that should leave the coat in tact, it does a pretty good job itself for growing in an appropriate amount in the warmer (and colder) months, from all the dogs I've experienced here in Texas (where we broke the record for most days over 100 in the same year and were one day short for breaking the record of days in a row. Last year suuuuuuuuuucked.) Is the dog going to die and get sunburned and skin cancer? No. Do they look dumb? Sure. Should you do it? I never recommend it, but to each their own. vOv But I mean, dogs who are shaved for surgery seem to be okay when their coats grow back in, though it generally takes a while to get back to normal length and texture.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I could also be dumb but I thought it was mentioned that the dog was shaved because temperatures were reaching the unbelievable heights of 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit) but the post seems to have been edited for our safety and maybe I'm wrong

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RazorBunny posted:

One of my college classmates just posted a picture of her basset hound and it is SO fat :(

I don't think we're close enough anymore for me to say anything, either. Poor chubby pooch.

Its a hard subject to broach even when you are close to someone. My parents dogs are overweight and the oldest one has allergy/itching problems but they continue to free feed cheap food.

Sam is a decent weight at least. He spends much more time outside chasing birds from feeder to feeder in the yard:

He's never caught one, he just likes to bark at them.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Levitate posted:

I could also be dumb but I thought it was mentioned that the dog was shaved because temperatures were reaching the unbelievable heights of 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit) but the post seems to have been edited for our safety and maybe I'm wrong
Yes. I was pointing out he gets too hot in the summer even in this climate and spends most of July in a hole he digs under a bush or laying down in shallow water. Then again, he's a happy to hang around outside when the temperatures reach the lows of -25 to -30C, which is what his coat is supposed to do. Your point was?

Here is some info on post clipping alopecia from a veterinary dermatology center, which says

quote:

Post-clipping alopecia results from failure of hair growth after the clipping. It is relatively common in dogs but rare in cats. The exact mechanism is unknown, but one theory is that decreased perfusion of hair follicles, secondary to vasoconstriction due to cooling of the skin by removal of the hair, may lead to premature termination of the growing phase.

Also

quote:

With time hair will re-grow in most animals.

Also note that post clipping alopecia isn't the norm.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Honestly if your dog is overheating in 25 C weather that makes me feel like your dog has some issues because goddamn is that not even remotely hot

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Levitate posted:

Honestly if your dog is overheating in 25 C weather that makes me feel like your dog has some issues because goddamn is that not even remotely hot
This is the kind of climate where the arctic breeds come from and several days of +25C is hot for this area. I think it's a question of what you're used to. Also Pi's coat is softer, thicker and fluffier than it should be in the first place.

Edit. He was checked pretty thoroughly a while ago when we were figuring out his allergies, so he shouldn't have any hormonal issues or the like.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 4, 2012

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Yeah I think it's a question of what you're used to. I mean, in summer here 30C would be a cooler day, yet in the UK masses of people died when it hit that temperature.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Why does everyone care? It's her dog. If it fucks up his coat, that's her problem and does not even affect the health of the dog. Even if it affects his ability to self-thermoregulate, obviously she's willing to address that.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Hey, has anyone here tried making catnip crackers along these lines? http://www.rd.com/food/make-your-own-cat-treats-catnip-crackers/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Serella posted:

Why does everyone care? It's her dog. If it fucks up his coat, that's her problem and does not even affect the health of the dog. Even if it affects his ability to self-thermoregulate, obviously she's willing to address that.

This is the internet. Why do you care that people care? :colbert:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Here's a ruined double-coat in early April:

This is a before image from early December the previous year:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I can't speak for the spitzy-type double coats, but some harsh terrier coats (like those of cairns) definitely get 'spoiled' by clipping, in that if you clip the coat enough times, the hair will grow back silky instead of wirey. I kept our family's old cairn, Meg, clipped (with scissors) when she was in her older years and her coat became very silky. I strip Dan down to his undercoat about twice a year, and he still has a good harsh coat - except where I trim him (lower legs, chest and belly), where it's beginning to grow back silky.

I don't have enough experience with the soft double coated breeds to know whether clipping is really as awful as it's made out to be, but I've always been a little skeptical about the skin cancer claim. I guess when it comes to medical claims I always want to see peer reviewed data v:shobon:v

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Levitate posted:

This is the internet. Why do you care that people care? :colbert:

Because people are getting silly over something fairly trivial.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

wtftastic posted:

Because people are getting silly over something fairly trivial.

petisland.txt

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

notsoape posted:

petisland.txt

I mean I get incredibly irate over weird things too, but it tends not to be "someone else gave their dog a haircut that I don't like" and is more like, "someone in my lab is a walking safety hazard and might get someone hurt".

but yes.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have little to no grooming knowledge, but it was my understanding that shaving dogs is just largely unnecessary and the coat is designed to trap cool air against the skin in the summer. I don't think sunburn is really as huge an issue as some people think unless you're talking your dog hiking all day. I don't doubt shaving it gives certain dogs some relief, if only from the weight of the coat being gone, but eh. I don't know for sure, but it'd be fun to find out a more definitive answer on the matter.

When Shadow lived with my mom, she had him shaved for summer once. I don't recall it making much of a difference other than him looking stupid, but Shadow's pretty adaptive to various temperatures.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I have an Alaskan Malamute. If someone tried to shave my dog I'd break their fingers. And it gets to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit in Wisconsin. Honestly, shaving your dog seems damned lazy. When Sitka starts getting hot I break out the kiddy pool filled with ice, bring her inside, and do all the things one does to keep the dog comfortable but that would require actually paying attention to the dog rather than just throwing them outside with a shaved coat which completely ruins their coat.

tl;dr you are lazy and hosed up your dog's coat. good job.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Radio! posted:

Please do this.

I'm not sure if I can quite do that, don't have any googly eyes around. But once this uploads. You can see him venture outside, for a little bit. He doesn't seem to have much interest in going down the stairs.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

Riiseli posted:

Here's a ruined double-coat in early April:

This is a before image from early December the previous year:

And this is how it should look at its fullest. Unfortunately I couldn't find a better picture.
What happened you ask? Well she was spayed. This is one of the things I bring up when people ask me about spaying or neutering their (double-coated) dog. There are plenty of positives, too and I'm more inclined to recommend having the operation than not having one, but I want the owners to consider all the aspects carefully.

That before image is what's standard for bitches after they've given birth. Here's Naru in all her glory:

And this is Naru after some more shedding and some finishing touches with scissors:

I haven't touched the sides at all. Most work is needed on the chest and tail and that isn't a lot. The resulting pile of fur is miniscule when compared with what they shed naturally.

And here Naru is just under three months after the previous picture. Outside the furnishings (which aren't missing much either) she's actually in full coat here already

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Am I following correctly that all this uproar is about how pretty your companion animals look and feel?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

paisleyfox posted:

broken ... guard hairs not grow back properly leaving mostly undercoat.

Should you do it? I never recommend it, but to each their own. vOv But I mean, dogs who are shaved for surgery seem to be okay when their coats grow back in, though it generally takes a while to get back to normal length and texture.

Thanks for the description! The main problem seems to be, if you can be responsible and give a dog shade and cool water, is repeated shavings leading to a strange coat and a weird lookin' dawg.

Levitate posted:

My dogs think its hot. They go play fetch for like 5 minutes when its above 20C and then lay down and refuse to bring the ball back unless I start walking home. And like Rixatrix, my dogs are totally comfortable at -25 (but their pads get cold :3:).

Weird how different climates create different behaviour eh??

After all of this I kind of want to shave my dogs just because :colbert:

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 4, 2012

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

El Gar posted:

Am I following correctly that all this uproar is about how pretty your companion animals look and feel?

Broken guard hairs means an ugly hosed up coat, but it can also mean oils that need to be kept close to their skin aren't, messed up air flow through the coat and the coat no longer dealing with temperatures correctly.

But then you're El Gar and I doubt you actually care. Don't you have a cat to sperg about it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Citizen Rat posted:

Broken guard hairs means an ugly hosed up coat, but it can also mean oils that need to be kept close to their skin aren't, messed up air flow through the coat and the coat no longer dealing with temperatures correctly.

But then you're El Gar and I doubt you actually care. Don't you have a cat to sperg about it?

I do care and thanks for the clarification. I'd only seen people talking about the cosmetic differences so that's why I asked.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Citizen Rat posted:

dog hair sperg

I have no horse in this race, but I just want to point out how funny this is.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

El Gar posted:

I do care and thanks for the clarification. I'd only seen people talking about the cosmetic differences so that's why I asked.

You obviously did not read the posts very closely! :rolleyes:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

ButWhatIf posted:

I have no horse in this race, but I just want to point out how funny this is.

It's PI. We all have our animal to sperg about. If we didn't we wouldn't be here.

Edit: Oh god. I didn't mean for you to go off and make an entire thread about your damned cat, El Gar!

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 4, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Does this mean I can have two threads, since I have two cats?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Does this mean I can have two threads, since I have two cats?

Oh my god I'm going to have so many threads to keep up on :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh my god I'm going to have so many threads to keep up on :(

Mine alone will count for at least four, the rats can share a thread cuz they're tiny :colbert:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

El Gar posted:

Not my animal, but somebody's, it would seem so.

(Ok, fine Naru is mine, the other dog, not so much. I just happen to have some fairly descriptive photos of that particular double-coated dog. Naru ended up here, because I was having a hard time finding good images of all the stages of that coat and Naru's coat is somewhat comparable being the same breed and all. And I did not use only photos of Naru as her coat is still fine as she is still intact.)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Oh gently caress that. I am not making a new thread for each of my retarded cats. I might think about it for Sitka, but that's what the prim breed thread is for. (Also you damned spergs need to post in there. :mad:)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

Oh gently caress that. I am not making a new thread for each of my retarded cats. I might think about it for Sitka, but that's what the prim breed thread is for. (Also you damned spergs need to post in there. :mad:)

You're right, a thread about Leela would just be lots of "She made biscuits on me at 4 am again" and "Her meow is weird" and Nibbler's would be "He tried to attack my feet last night" and "His meow is weird" and that would get tedious.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I could make a Patrice thread. Every day would be exactly the same.

6:45 Breakfast!
7:00 Morning nap upstairs!
2:30 See if dinner has happened early through some miracle, use the highly preferable downstairs litter box!
3:00 Afternoon nap upstairs!
4:45 Dinner!
5:00 Evening nap upstairs!
7:00 Couch snuggles!
9:30 Nighttime nap downstairs!

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
All cats are basically the same (except for abominations like Trophy) so we don't need a million threads for each individual cat because as I just said all cats are basically the same (except for abominations like Trophy). Dogs on the other hand are special snowflakes, each and every one! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Look, I'm the first to understand cosmetic preferences in animals. I own a purebread cat for pete's sake. I just didn't get the vitriol I was seeing absent a medical reason. One was provided so now I understand. I'm sorry you can't let any little tiny thing go, dog people.

Also the Trophy thread was already written up this morning I was just waiting till I'd gone to the gym and lunch before posting it. Funny coincidences all up in PI today.

• Locked thread