Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I attend an adult learn to play that follows a similar format, and it's been great. You get about an hour of drills and hopefully some technique pointers, and then some scrimmage. It tends to be pretty low level stuff though.

Even if you end up not learning anything, it's a good way to hook up with the rink regulars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Attempting to make a list of everyones location/rinks they play at to let people try to find people to play with easier.

e:
New version
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E6MQ

dms666 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 3, 2012

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

dms666 posted:

Attempting to make a list of everyones location/rinks they play at to let people try to find people to play with easier.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEl3UG01bjVEbGlwYkx4UzJ5V3QyNkE6MQ
You should put up an option for goalies and invite us, too.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Melchiresa posted:

Speaking of gear, I'm looking for some advice on gear for ladies. I can only seem to find female chest protectors online, and I'm sort of concerned about getting a proper fit. Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind for when I'm looking? Can male chest protectors work, or is it worth it to find female ones? Also, does it matter if I get women's pants, or can I see if I can find male ones that fit?

How well men's (honestly, most likely boys' - I think every piece of gear I own is junior) equipment fits you depends on your own body shape of course, but I've never bought any piece of women's gear in my life and while the pants aren't the most comfortable thing in the world, they're fine.

edit: and are you talking about a goalie chest protector?

I'll be in Pittsburgh for 2 weeks in July for an externship, but turns out I'll have weekend and Wednesday downtime so I am going to bring my hockey gear and hit up some shinny in my old haunts (Bladerunners mostly probably) to practice for a tournament I'm playing in when I get back to Cali. Yinz (ughhhh) should come out then. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 3, 2012

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would literally kill to be able to take a learn to play class. I need a lot of instruction to get better.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

xzzy posted:

I attend an adult learn to play that follows a similar format, and it's been great. You get about an hour of drills and hopefully some technique pointers, and then some scrimmage. It tends to be pretty low level stuff though.

Even if you end up not learning anything, it's a good way to hook up with the rink regulars.

Awesome, thanks for the input. The sessions start in July so I have some time to get some gear together (woot for an awesome OP for reference) and register.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

coldwind posted:

You should put up an option for goalies and invite us, too.

Good idea, can add positions too

e: updated version
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E6MQ

and results page
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E

dms666 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 3, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Filled it out. The only SAS hockey goons around me live in Ann Arbor, I think.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Survey completed. Thinking I'm the only NC hockey goon though.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Just had my first session in a thing like this tonight. It's exactly the same as above and definitely worth the money. I played a while back and it's a great way to get back into things without joining a league and jumping in the deep end right away.

That said, does anyone in Denver need a player on a C-level or beer league team? :v:

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 4, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Added myself to the google doc.

Maybe if I'm in Pittsburgh sometime I could meet up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mintskoal posted:

That said, does anyone in Denver need a player on a C-level or beer league team? :v:

5 year plan is to move to the Denver area, so check back then. :v:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I saw some chick with "juicy" bedazzled on her hockey pants tonight.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Filled out the survey, will be utterly amazed if there is another hockey goon from norway, let alone my region.

Not sure about my skill level... I mean, I'm a really good player here, where everyone else is horrible (no ice rinks or training, or understanding of the game). I would prolly get my rear end handed to me by most of the rest who graded themselves as a "C" on the spreadsheet.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

I saw some chick with "juicy" bedazzled on her hockey pants tonight.

Haha, I know that girl. I got a penalty for a hit I put on her at the MLK tournament and the hit was solely because of those stupid pants.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played my first game of beach hockey for the year in Chicago yesterday. League starts tomorrow and I'm still exhausted from playing yesterday.

This season will be pretty interesting since we have a cup title to defend and we lost 2 players, one of them being our best and the other being the worst.

On a side note, I have noticed that my stick handling practice and strength training has paid off. I was able to muscle the puck a lot more than before and my stick handling was massively improved. In roller, the puck bounces a lot given its light weight and that usually results in over skating the puck a lot because it bounces over your stick. I noticed that I was able to overcome it by practicing with a golf ball which is pretty much made of rubber apparently.

I also got a slapper right to the inner thigh. Nothing like starting the season off with a Niklas Hjalmarsson style shot block.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Anders posted:

Filled out the survey, will be utterly amazed if there is another hockey goon from norway, let alone my region.

Not sure about my skill level... I mean, I'm a really good player here, where everyone else is horrible (no ice rinks or training, or understanding of the game). I would prolly get my rear end handed to me by most of the rest who graded themselves as a "C" on the spreadsheet.
I interpreted the grades like this, taking into account that our scale needs to be a bit more narrow at the top.

A--Played pro, semi-pro, major juniors, juniors and excelled; you're really loving good compared to most everyone who has ever played the sport.
B--Maybe played a bit of juniors, but never quite cut it there. You have strong all around skills, some advanced, but show noticeable flaws.
C--Topped out in high school and/or travel hockey. Played anywhere from good to decent but didn't have the skills to get to juniors. Good all around skills, but some serious flaws in your game.
D--Maybe played a bit growing up, but stopped at some point. You know how to skate, pass, and shoot but don't do any particularly well at all.
E--Poor all around skills. Maybe you're the super star of your never ever league.

Gio fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 4, 2012

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

During pickup Saturday one of the guys broke a puck in half after a slapper. No one claimed to have seen that before, have any of you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fingers McGee posted:

During pickup Saturday one of the guys broke a puck in half after a slapper. No one claimed to have seen that before, have any of you?
Patrick Kane did it in the ASG. :haw:

You sure someone wasn't running a similar prank?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fingers McGee posted:

I've seen it once before, actually.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So we played a pretty new team last night. I think this is their second season and even though they have a couple good skaters, they haven't been doing too well. Once we were up by a few goals, they started getting pretty chippy and talking a bunch of poo poo.

On a particular faceoff, their RW lined up against our 6'8" prison guard LW. On the puck drop, he tried to take a run at our dude, bounced off of him, fell over, and appeared to crack his head on the ice.

He laid there face-down on the ice for a good 10 minutes. At this point, everyone is sitting on the ice thinking holy poo poo this guy is out cold or something, he's really hurt. Everyone is wondering whether the paramedics are going to get called, etc. Our dude skates over to him to see if he's ok even though he's clearly not. The dude on the ice looks up, and starts chirping our guy. He then proceeds to jump up with his "injury", throws off his helmet, tosses his stick and gloves and starts yelling COME ON LETS GO. His whole team had to hold him back and he eventually got 5 and a game.

Another guy shot the puck like 5 seconds after a whistle and flipped his goddamn lid when the ref gave him an unsportsmanlike penalty.

They were huge dicks the whole game, so we dropped 60 shots and 9 goals on them.

Bronze league :allears:

Also, beer_league.jpg:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 4, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Taking 15 shots compared to 47? I'd look bored too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I wish I could put multiple grades. I'm a C for ice, but a B+ for inline, and a D for goalie.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Fingers McGee posted:

Don't ask me why I have the specific game, but it happened in the NHL Washington at Phoenix on 10/23/08.

I used to run a Capitals highlight site and searched through the game descriptions

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Not hockey but floorball which is somewhat related but anyway I just returned from a 2 hour marathon where I was the only player that never got any rest more than 2 minutes.

You see, we play 4v4 and we were nine players. After each game we randomize the team again and I always ended up on the team without a sub; everyone else got rest at least once.

Still was my best night all season though. Too bad it was the last night of the season too. :(

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Gio posted:

I interpreted the grades like this, taking into account that our scale needs to be a bit more narrow at the top.

A--Played pro, semi-pro, major juniors, juniors and excelled; you're really loving good compared to most everyone who has ever played the sport.
B--Maybe played a bit of juniors, but never quite cut it there. You have strong all around skills, some advanced, but show noticeable flaws.
C--Topped out in high school and/or travel hockey. Played anywhere from good to decent but didn't have the skills to get to juniors. Good all around skills, but some serious flaws in your game.
D--Maybe played a bit growing up, but stopped at some point. You know how to skate, pass, and shoot but don't do any particularly well at all.
E--Poor all around skills. Maybe you're the super star of your never ever league.

I played in college. Juniors bias. :argh:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Just had my first session in a thing like this tonight. It's exactly the same as above and definitely worth the money. I played a while back and it's a great way to get back into things without joining a league and jumping in the deep end right away.

Potentially.

Curious that we've never played together. I play at the same facilities (BVIce, DU).

bvice pro click.

--

Just got back form the ortho. Diagnosis: patellofemoral syndrome with tendonitis. Prescription for at least 6 weeks of rehab. She didn't say I couldn't play hockey (ahem), so now I guess it's just a question of how much agony I'm willing to play through...

Edit: VVVVV Those rankings are so subjective. By the time you're C-level or better, you usually "know" which league you really belong in.

Also, I screwed up and put in "CO" instead of "Colorado" for the survey. Anyone know how to fix that?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 4, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I'm B level for women's hockey per USA Hockey. I decided that's C level for in general. That's how I decided my level.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

Potentially.

Curious that we've never played together. I play at the same facilities (BVIce, DU).

bvice pro click.

Ha, that's because I'm just getting back into things after a several year hiatus. Been just doing stick and pucks and open skate to get my mojo back. You don't happen to know a guy who has a yellow helmet, PBR jersey and an itech mask, do you? That's not me, but he's doing the same class as I am out in Littleton. He said he plays at BV all the time.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Fingers McGee posted:

I saw it happen a few weeks ago in a skills session, but that puck was probably older then many forums posters. I have a few like that that are strating to chip around the edges, I guess they dry out after so many years in Tutankhamen's sarcophagus

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My rink is just A, B, C. A is top level, B is too bad for A and too good for C, and C is for "can't skate backwards".

It'd be nice if there was some kind of international benchmarking standard to rate players but I can understand why it doesn't exist. Too many "intangibles." :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok, SUDDEN TOPIC CHANGE.

Anyone got any practical advice for puck races in no contact? I keep getting in these situations where there's a loose puck and it's me and another guy chasing it down. On one hand I want to compete for it, but on the other I don't want to get tangled up with the dude and send one or both of us crashing dangerously into the boards.

I'm at a point where I get ~6 feet away from the boards and I pull up, which as you might expect yields the puck to the other guy (unless I'm clearly in the lead and he slows up first). I just don't have any real experience with close quarters play like that and need advice that won't get people hurt. :ohdear:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
It's a game of chicken. If you don't want to give the puck up then don't flinch and hope the other guy flinches.

Its not your responsibility to keep the other team safe. Put yourself in a position to get the puck and prepare to get bumped.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Yeah, pretty much. I try to get in front of the other person when I'm sprinting. I have a very high straightaway top speed though so this usually works well for me. Try to stay aware of what side the other person is on so you can try to either get it out cleanly by going the opposite direction or hold on to it and wait for the other person to inevitably either run the boards or overcommit and then take it around them.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Back to the skill level discussion for a moment:

In my area we have A, B, C and D. C itself is broken into upper C and lower C. A and B are reserved for the higher skilled players, C is for people who've been at it for only a few years (with upper C being for those who have some skill but aren't quite ready to make the jump up to B), and D is for absolute beginners. If I played in a co-ed league I'd probably be somewhere in the Cs, which is how I ranked myself in the survey. Note that this is WA-A-AY different than the way Gio did his.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Ok, SUDDEN TOPIC CHANGE.

Anyone got any practical advice for puck races in no contact? I keep getting in these situations where there's a loose puck and it's me and another guy chasing it down. On one hand I want to compete for it, but on the other I don't want to get tangled up with the dude and send one or both of us crashing dangerously into the boards.

I'm at a point where I get ~6 feet away from the boards and I pull up, which as you might expect yields the puck to the other guy (unless I'm clearly in the lead and he slows up first). I just don't have any real experience with close quarters play like that and need advice that won't get people hurt. :ohdear:

You might also be able to get away with "losing" the race and then bottling them up, if your league allows it. Occasionally if it's a dangerous situation - as a defenseman - I'll intentionally let the man get in front of me. I put my hand on his torso to maintain contact, and then kind of eeeeasssse him into the boards. One quick poke check and I let my support grab the puck. Done and done. No one breaks an ankle.

I've also been known to let guys know "I'm going to destroy you" as they move past me. Hilariously, it works more than you'd think.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

loving bro hug posted:

I got out on the ice today for the first time in like, 12 years (took my daughter skating, her first time ever). I was rusty as hell, but it was a blast all the same.

I played a lot of street/roller hockey when I was younger, but never on ice despite always wanting to. I've been bitten by the hockey bug again this year watching the playoffs and am seriously considering getting involved in an adult hockey league at our local rink. Anyone here have experience with a "Hockey U" type program, either taking or teaching one? Our rink offers a 7-session instructional program "focused on skating, stick skills and hockey concepts" that might be worthwhile before the league's fall season starts, but I'd like to hear any input any of you might have on programs like this.

My town (city?) offers one, and I literally have been on the ice 3 times prior to starting mine just about a month or so ago. I'm already picking it up quickly, but as you'll learn hockey is very loving hard and you just have to have patience. I have to say though, I love it and cannot wait to be even decent enough to play in the lowest leagues in September. I also take private lessons which helps a TON.

So my advice is, as someone who had even less experience in hockey than you, is to do it. You'll love the group of people, and there will be someone like me to make even you look good! :D There's a lot of people who are in your exact position that I've met: they wanna share something with their kid, so they're trying to learn hockey in their middle age.

I'm actually one of the youngest guys there and I'm 28. I still love it to death, and really wish my job didn't force me to miss so much practice time.

DO IT!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm sure my responses to the poll were very helpful:

:colbert:

Hey dms could you remove the city for me? Thanks!

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 5, 2012

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Lost our goddamned championship game tonight after going to a shootout.

Started a 5-min OT with a PP and still couldn't convert. We kept getting half-chances but couldn't convert 'em and it was frustrating as hell.

Good thing we don't have long to dwell on it since the next season starts a week from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D C posted:

It's a game of chicken.

Fair enough.. so with that in mind, assuming no one flinches, how do I teach myself to go into the boards without killing myself? Put my shoulder into it?

I guess ideally I'd want to come in at an angle so I can save momentum to skate along the boards, assuming I win the puck, but it seems that in a straight line race I won't always have that option.