Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

nerdbot posted:

Totally calling it as the Black Queen being what pops out of there in an hour.

It's FedoraFreak in there and we all know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

YggiDee posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only possible correct answer.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Oh God, I just thought... What if FedoraFreak is Dad from this universe?

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I really hope we find out or learn more about the nature of Denizens. I feel like the story has moved away from them in the sense that any opportunity to show them in the past was completely glossed over (beta John and Vriska, Jade's deal with Echinda, seeing them on the battleship), and I'm worried that Hussie will never include them in any major way.

I especially want to learn more in regards to why Dirk and Jake (or, perhaps, heart and hope) have Gnostic-derived denizens instead of ones derived from Greek mythology.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

Radio Paranoia posted:

I was thinking another Jack.

Same. The meteors going through the portal in the original B1 incipisphere seem to be doubling up. Jack left via a meteor while in the capsule.

But I can only imagine how hosed up poo poo is going to be with two omnipotent Jacks running around.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lord of Laughton posted:

Same. The meteors going through the portal in the original B1 incipisphere seem to be doubling up. Jack left via a meteor while in the capsule.

Eh, I disagree, for several reasons:

- While some of the meteors are the same, namely the baby-bearing meteors, the Frog Temple seems to be one of the exceptions. Note that it is visibly different from the A1 version, having eight towers, while even in prehistory the A1 version had only four.
- Different stuff is coming out the two temples' flowers. The guardian is sent back with the Frog Temple, and we're seeing GCAT instead of another Bec. Jake, presumably, didn't get a copy of Dave's sburb CDs three years ago.
- Even if the temples and the flowers were the same, Jack was set to emerge 413 years after 2009, so 2422. He certainly wouldn't be emerging in 2011.
- If, somehow, he was emerging in 2011, wouldn't the flower be all black and withered looking, like it did in Cascade when Jack came out of it?

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
One of the queens definitely seems likely to me. I guess it depends on if the decaying looking lotus was a feature of holding a Dersite though, which I doubt was the case. Probably just a simple aesthetic portrayal of a bad omen.

It being the black queen could be really neat, if she emerges from the pod with a grudge against the condesce and uses that to try and oppose her grab for power, and then when the condesce eventually enters the game session, she exiles the black queen because the black queen opposed her on earth. Seems suitably circuitous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure Rose said that the only things that were switched and thus still traveled through were the babies. Not much else has gone through, except presumably the frog temple, which I assume will also wind up carrying Gcat.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bobulus posted:

Eh, I disagree, for several reasons:

- While some of the meteors are the same, namely the baby-bearing meteors, the Frog Temple seems to be one of the exceptions. Note that it is visibly different from the A1 version, having eight towers, while even in prehistory the A1 version had only four.
- Different stuff is coming out the two temples' flowers. The guardian is sent back with the Frog Temple, and we're seeing GCAT instead of another Bec. Jake, presumably, didn't get a copy of Dave's sburb CDs three years ago.
- Even if the temples and the flowers were the same, Jack was set to emerge 413 years after 2009, so 2422. He certainly wouldn't be emerging in 2011.
- If, somehow, he was emerging in 2011, wouldn't the flower be all black and withered looking, like it did in Cascade when Jack came out of it?

You know though, even though it's almost certainly a different temple, you have to wonder how the hell it got there since there's no Reckoning that is going to happen.

Well ok to be fair the White Queen does have the sceptre so it's not entirely unlikely that someone gets their hands on it and initiates it. Hell that would make a pretty cool callback if Jack did it.

But then if there is a Reckoning you also have the issue of no meteors actually falling on earth. I guess the Condesce could've destroyed them using GCat or her own powers? Maybe she could just deflect them, Sollux and Aradia did something similar during the battle with the Black King.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They specifically mention this. There is no reckoning, but SOME meteors do get launched. Namely important ones that need to be on Earth, like the frog temple. This is why Earth has not been devastated (in that it was turned into a desert) by Dirk/Roxy's time, because no meteors fell and it was the Condesce who flooded the planet.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't it Rose that said that? I mean I know, God-tier Seer of Light and all, but one of the things Homestuck's established thus far is that characters are unreliable narrators.

Not to mention that the "important meteors" that we know get sent to B2 are ones from the B1 incipisphere, none of which had B2's ruins.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's still been explicitly stated in the narrative. Until we have reason to doubt a God Tier Seer of Light's words, and we have no reason to at this point, introducing "But what if...!" speculations seems pointless and unnecessary to me. Occam's Razor isn't just another Spades Slick blade.

I'm sure there will be plenty of nonsense and shenanigans involved with the frog temple, and whatever it is that pops out of that pod after an hour will be surprising, but at this point there is no reason to complicate the situation with no actual evidence to provide a contrary viewpoint. Even the "so-and-so is turning evil" drivel had some circumstantial tidbits for fans to latch on to each time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Desfore posted:

Well it'd explain how he found a quest bed to die on!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Oh I'm not theorising as much as just laying down possibilities. We know the ruins (presumably along with GCat) got to Earth somehow, and we know the typical vehicle for that travel is the reckoning launching the veil at Skaia which then sends the meteors to the players' home planet through its defence portals. And we know that a reckoning being initiated is still possible since the White sceptre was presented and is thus a potential Checkov's gun.

What we know against a reckoning happening is that we know the Earth survives (albeit after getting mangled by the Condesce) until the end of the universe without the meteors hitting it, and Rose's narration. Both of these can be potentially addressed: Rose could be saying that a Reckoning will not happen because she's seen that the Earth doesn't get hit by meteors, not because she saw specifically that a reckoning isn't initiated, and the Earth could avoid getting hit by meteors because the Condesce has taught herself how to use psychic powers that were diplayed to have been used specifically to manipulate the meteors' trajectories in the A2 session, on top of having whatever powers she was granted by LE.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Desfore posted:

If he's going to reappear in the narrative this would be the logical place for it. But Dad should have entered the medium with Jane's house, and water is plentiful on LOCAH.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are any number of ways the meteor could get launched, ways that don't need to be handwaved away like a reckoning would (because remember, it should be impossible since both the kings are already gone). Something like the Condesce launching the meteor with her gemini powers, for example.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Actually, it might kind of make sense that Dad is special. If he is indeed the biological son of Nanna, or in the Alpha universe John, he's the ONLY person in the world who shares blood with SBurb players who isn't a player himself. He exists due to SBurb, but unlike the players or ancestors or the First Guardian, it didn't have a direct hand in his birth. In Homestuck, someone who's born the usual way, without ectobiological shenanigans is actually pretty unique.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

YF-23 posted:

Earth could avoid getting hit by meteors because the Condesce has taught herself how to use psychic powers that were diplayed to have been used specifically to manipulate the meteors' trajectories in the A2 session, on top of having whatever powers she was granted by LE.

I think application of the Condesce's psychic powers in this situation would far more reasonably be that she'd use psychic powers to independently fire the few meteors that do arrive on earth, rather than use the reckoning to send them all and manually interfere with most of them.

edit: wop too slow

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Incidentally, Homestuck passed its five thousandth page during the scene with Aranea's Fish Hitler rant. Five thousand pages of this.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

There are any number of ways the meteor could get launched, ways that don't need to be handwaved away like a reckoning would (because remember, it should be impossible since both the kings are already gone). Something like the Condesce launching the meteor with her gemini powers, for example.

Why is the reckoning impossible with the kings dead (honest question, I don't remember that mentioned anywhere)? The only thing that's needed to initiate it is, if I recall correctly, the white king's sceptre, which we've seen survives in the hands of the white queen.

But yeah, the Condesce sending the specific meteors Earthways is a plausible scenario. Would make sense that she'd engineer GCat herself and send it back to Earth since she's been shown using it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No you're right, I forgot that the White Queen had the scepter.

At any rate, this is all a non-issue. We know that Earth is not devastated by meteors, and that somehow the frog temple will be sent along its way. That's all we really need to know, until something new comes up to suggest otherwise.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's at least one theory out there that when the A2 troll base arrives, it will slow down by smacking into the B2 Frog Temple, knocking it at Skaia like a pool ball.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Reference secured.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

...Why do I have a feeling something is about to go horribly, horribly wrong? :ohdear:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Color Printer posted:

...Why do I have a feeling something is about to go horribly, horribly wrong? :ohdear:

Because something did go horribly wrong, we saw it happen like two years ago, but the thing that went horribly wrong actually went sort of right and then went wrong again and all these other things went wrong but they might go right again and gently caress time travel, gently caress it into outer space

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Color Printer posted:

Because it does. In B1's Incipisphere, in the subjective past. :v:

e:f;b

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

quote:

there is no reason at all to ask rhetorically why he wouldn't put himself back in the box.

I find it hard to believe Jake has never seen Con Air...Unless B2 Nic Cage didn't survive long enough to make it :wth:

Scale Model Giant fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 5, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The best part, to me, is how, when we first read that letter with John, "J" seemed to know what was up. But, nope, Jake is like the least in the loop of any of the characters.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Scale Model Giant posted:

I find it hard to believe Jake has never seen Con Air...Unless B2 Nic Cage didn't survive long enough to make it :wth:

I don't want to even imagine a universe where Nic Cage never made Con Air. Fortunately, I don't have to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't believe it's been two years since we first saw that letter. Jesus.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Anyone got a link to the letter's contents?

E: http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005575

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 5, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Is that the first sendificator we've seen that has the universes helpfully labeled like that? I just checked Cascade and the sendificator in WV's station just had spirographs instead of A2/B1.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bobulus posted:

The best part, to me, is how, when we first read that letter with John, "J" seemed to know what was up. But, nope, Jake is like the least in the loop of any of the characters.

... John is more up to date on what's going on than somebody else is.

John is up to date on what's going on.

John.

... this is weird.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DontMockMySmock posted:

Is that the first sendificator we've seen that has the universes helpfully labeled like that? I just checked Cascade and the sendificator in WV's station just had spirographs instead of A2/B1.

We've seen Roxy's, for sure. I think there was one way back when before the labels really meant anything (which is really weird, since I don't think the idea of the Scratch had occurred to Hussie at that point.)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

King of Solomon posted:

We've seen Roxy's, for sure.

poo poo, I think I need to reread a bunch because I don't remember that at all.

We certainly saw WV's way before the scratch was a thing, which is probably why it has spirographs instead of labels. What other sendificator is there? The one in the lab near Rose's house? Did that one have a universe switch? Actually, wasn't that an appearifier? gently caress, homestuck has too much poo poo to remember.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DontMockMySmock posted:

poo poo, I think I need to reread a bunch because I don't remember that at all.

We certainly saw WV's way before the scratch was a thing, which is probably why it has spirographs instead of labels. What other sendificator is there? The one in the lab near Rose's house? Did that one have a universe switch? Actually, wasn't that an appearifier? gently caress, homestuck has too much poo poo to remember.

Well, just looking at the interactions of some objects, there's the one near Rose's house, where Jaspers disappeared, and the one in Jade's house (otherwise she wouldn't have been able to work on the bunny with Jake.)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

King of Solomon posted:

We've seen Roxy's, for sure. I think there was one way back when before the labels really meant anything (which is really weird, since I don't think the idea of the Scratch had occurred to Hussie at that point.)

The idea of the guardians being players in another version/universe has been around since basically the beginning of HS. From in story hints and Hussie commentary. All the way back to Rose's lab showing the 8 player session and her talking about her mom being the hero of the story if things had been different. There's enough blatant foreshadowing to say it was planned and not all just the retroactive foreshadowing that Hussie is so good at.

And holy poo poo, John is actually more observant than another character. He obviously didn't get his smarts from Jake's side of the family.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... John is more up to date on what's going on than somebody else is.

John is up to date on what's going on.

John.

... this is weird.

If Gamzee even understands what universe he's in at any particular moment I'd be amazed.

It'd be fun to see different characters try and explain what's going on, who they're fighting, why, and to what end. We'd probably find even characters who've been hanging out for years with nothing to do would give wildly different answers.

At best John probably thinks the big bad guy is still just Bec Noir and that their plan is as simple as finishing the game in B2 and living in the universe it creates. Actually, most of the surviving players probably think that's the plan. Rose seems to know about the Condesce and Lord English and Doc Scratch's machinations, but we don't have a good sense of how much detail she really has. Maybe Kanaya knows as much as Rose, since she had some contact with Doc Scratch and probably actually listens to Rose rather than getting into relationship fights and drawing on the walls with chalk all day.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

jetz0r posted:

All the way back to Rose's lab showing the 8 player session

When is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

IUG posted:

When is this?