Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012
I want to get into some new podcasts, but I'm finding the prospect quite daunting given how many I see being praised around here. What are the best episodes of the various Nerdist network podcasts and Earwolf podcasts besides CBB itself? I'm sort of trying to catch up on CBB, the Dana Gould and Paul F. Tompkins Podcasts are easy to catch up on, and I know I'll never be able to catch up on all the Adam Carolla ones so I won't even try, but I also don't want to miss out on the good stuff on the Nerdist and Earwolf network of podcasts, since I see you guys praising a lot of them quite a bit.

...Maybe that was a tad convoluted, but hopefully my meaning here was clear. One of the reasons I signed up was to chat with y'all about podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Beeez posted:

I want to get into some new podcasts, but I'm finding the prospect quite daunting given how many I see being praised around here. What are the best episodes of the various Nerdist network podcasts and Earwolf podcasts besides CBB itself? I'm sort of trying to catch up on CBB, the Dana Gould and Paul F. Tompkins Podcasts are easy to catch up on, and I know I'll never be able to catch up on all the Adam Carolla ones so I won't even try, but I also don't want to miss out on the good stuff on the Nerdist and Earwolf network of podcasts, since I see you guys praising a lot of them quite a bit.

...Maybe that was a tad convoluted, but hopefully my meaning here was clear. One of the reasons I signed up was to chat with y'all about podcasts.

A good way to discover the Earwolf podcasts is just to go to the guest page of someone like Paul F. Tompkins and listen to stuff he's appeared on. He's been on some of the best Who Charteds and one of the better Professor Blastoff, at the least.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
For the Nerdist stuff: Just pick a guest you like and listen ton that. But you have to listen to The Todd Glass Show in the right order, he has callbacks from time to time.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Popelmon posted:

For the Nerdist stuff: Just pick a guest you like and listen ton that. But you have to listen to The Todd Glass Show in the right order, he has callbacks from time to time.

His episode as a guest on the Nerdist was great too. Also, I recommend You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes. Either Chelsea Peretti episode is awesome and he has some great guests that you can pick and choose to listen too. Some people have issues with the laugh but I thought it became endearing after awhile.

Lastly, listen to The Champs. They basically have a black guest on every week and just talk about the most ridiculous things. It's Moshe Kasher and Neal Brennan (co-creater of Chappelle's Show). DJ Douggpound (the 3rd guy) has hilarious drops but some find them annoying. The Questlove and Blake Griffin episodes are my personal favorites.

drawkcab si eman ym fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 29, 2012

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Speaking of the Champs- Douggpound's drop with the "You don't have to get all racist about it", Moshe's "Mean streets of Oakland", and any drop of Neal mentioning Chappelle's Show always get me.

drawkcab si eman ym fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 29, 2012

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Andy Daly is amazing on everything.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Oh, so aside from The Todd Glass Show I don't need to worry about too many callbacks that'll make me feel like I'm not really "in" on the joke?

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Nemo posted:

They did the live show for years before they started releasing podcasts, so they've had plenty of time to hammer out good material. I'd kill to attend a show if I'm ever out in LA.

I love the show, but I really only love it live. I find myself tuning out just listening to the podcast. If you are in LA, it's great because the Largo is a super old rad place to go (Charlie Chaplin had an office there). I just love all things Old Hollywood. Anyway, the show is just better live (sorry).

Sparks Nevada is always great, but Beyond Belief is my favorite. Why Paget Brewster isn't some famous comedic actress, I have no idea.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Paget Brewster is amazing. I honestly don't understand how she's not in everything.

Also if you like Paget Brewster and haven't seen Andy Richter Controls the Universe, remedy that immediately. Hell, even if you're some sort of hellspawn who hates great things and therefore doesn't like Paget Brewster you should still watch Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Sparks Nevada is always great, but Beyond Belief is my favorite. Why Paget Brewster isn't some famous comedic actress, I have no idea.

These are pretty much my exact feelings, word for word.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Paget Brewster is amazing. I honestly don't understand how she's not in everything.

Also if you like Paget Brewster and haven't seen Andy Richter Controls the Universe, remedy that immediately. Hell, even if you're some sort of hellspawn who hates great things and therefore doesn't like Paget Brewster you should still watch Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

It's the greatest show that no one watched.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
New Dead Authors podcast is up, with Aesop. It's not one of my favorites but its ok. It sounds like the guy is doing a Ron Burgundy impression, not sure if that was on purpose or not (I would assume not).

Still, I love the format and PFT so it's worth a listen.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I was looking through Netflix and:

is that Kulap?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Riptor posted:

I was looking through Netflix and:

is that Kulap?
No, it's Tan Le, one of the listed cast members.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
All look the same to you, eh?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Al! posted:

All look the same to you, eh?

Oh shut up rear end in a top hat. She looks like Kulap. I didn't see Tan Le listed

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The first bit in the new Superego is one of the funniest things. I'm so happy right now :kiddo:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is that a new Superego? It downloaded unprompted, but it said that the release date is 1/6/2012, and I'm sure I remember some of the Star Wars jokes before. Though I may just be remembering the setting, who can say.
Gelmania 9 is out too, though I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is that a new Superego? It downloaded unprompted, but it said that the release date is 1/6/2012, and I'm sure I remember some of the Star Wars jokes before. Though I may just be remembering the setting, who can say.
Gelmania 9 is out too, though I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

1/6/2012 = 1 June 2012. They had a Brown X-Wing Squadrom in episode 3:11 (February) which is probably what you're thinking of :)

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I assume it's no longer kosher to plug your own podcast now that there's a pimp your podcast thread?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There is, it's stickied.

Mentioning it in another thread, but did anyone else used to listen to the Russell Brand podcast back a few years ago? I'm not sure how many non-Brits know of the infamous answer phone message that he left on Andrew Sachs (an old, well liked actor who'd arranged an interview with the show) machine. It was before his film career started taking off, so probably wouldn't have been big news your side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7IHJ66wj9g

The podcast was a lot of fun, and the only time I've ever been able to tolerate a Gallagher.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm really starting to enjoy The Flophouse. It's like everything I like most about Comedy Film Nerds with everything I like most about How Did This Get Made? I think I like most that they aren't just going after easy targets. This week's ep on One For The Money was great precisely because they weren't talking about a "so bad it's good" movie, but rather something that would have worked better as a USA network pilot episode.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lamuella posted:

I'm really starting to enjoy The Flophouse. It's like everything I like most about Comedy Film Nerds with everything I like most about How Did This Get Made? I think I like most that they aren't just going after easy targets. This week's ep on One For The Money was great precisely because they weren't talking about a "so bad it's good" movie, but rather something that would have worked better as a USA network pilot episode.

The flophouse is good except I wish they spent more time talking about the movie and less time on recommendations and reading letters that go "dear flophouse, you guys are great! Stuart sounds like Seth Rogan. Keep up the good work!" which, admittedly, they seem to be doing less in more recent episodes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

plus they have that bane of podcasts, the guy who thinks it's his job to reply to every line the host says with a gag thus breaking up the flow. He seems to get it out of his system after a few minutes, though, and after that it becomes fun.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Am I the only one bothered by the morning radio style Pepsi adverts shoehorned deep into every Earwolf podcast this week?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Oh they're dreadful. Worse than Jeff Ulrich talking about incorporating LLCs or whatever. They are the first advert so annoying that I'll skip them every time.
e: general revisions

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 5, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, it was pretty bad during CBB, and I'm sure it'll be extra-jarring during I4H, but whatever, they need money. I just wish it weren't so long.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I usually just fast forward through all advertisements, thankful that a podcast I like gets to continue to be made a little longer. I've sort of trained my ear to hear when the advertisement is over.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I should clarify, I'm totally okay with the idea of product advertising beyond the Stamps.com/Audible/Adam & Eve usual suspects, but the production of that ad from the length to the painfully belabored (and unfunny) ad copy as well as the way it's shoehorned in, which is more of an Earwolf production thing, just seems jarring. I do recognize that this is the direction all podcasts are going as well, and I'm prepared to stomach it so long as shows still get produced. They just need to drop the morning radio approach.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Auritech posted:

I should clarify, I'm totally okay with the idea of product advertising beyond the Stamps.com/Audible/Adam & Eve usual suspects, but the production of that ad from the length to the painfully belabored (and unfunny) ad copy as well as the way it's shoehorned in, which is more of an Earwolf production thing, just seems jarring. I do recognize that this is the direction all podcasts are going as well, and I'm prepared to stomach it so long as shows still get produced. They just need to drop the morning radio approach.

What's ironic is that the spots that Earwolf bought to advertise the IFC show in the last couple of weeks for out of network shows like MBMBAM and Throwing Shade were really well done, they were short, got right to the point without trying some unfunny copy, and didn't break the flow of the show too much. So obviously the guys at Earwolf know how to do it at least.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
It just really helps if the hosts do the ad themselves. The Pepsi ads just sound like general copy that you hear everywhere making it instantly annoying. If you hear the Sklar's talking about Pepsi, they'll be sure to punch it up and make it funny.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't mind a few minutes of advertising on the hours of absolutely free entertainment Earwolf provides for me every week.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I thought it was a joke as first when I hear it on I4H last week.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The pepsi ads for Earwolf are pretty bad but the ones Greg Proops has started putting in are...hell just bad. Hearing him drunkenly ramble about whatever sponsor he had that week was far better than the pre-recorded weirdness he's thrown in. It would be so much more tolerable if whatever sponsor they have for the week allow the hosts to handle the advert in a way that doesn't gently caress with the show rather than shoehorning it in.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Expecially if you've got someone like Auckerman, they'd be much better just to say "talk for 20 seconds about this thing" and let him go. His legalzoom spots were pretty good for this exact reason. "Maybe you're trying to patent a perpetual motion machine... because you're insane."

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Expecially if you've got someone like Auckerman, they'd be much better just to say "talk for 20 seconds about this thing" and let him go. His legalzoom spots were pretty good for this exact reason. "Maybe you're trying to patent a perpetual motion machine... because you're insane."
This is really the way to go. I feel your pain though, I don't listen to earwolf podcasts but Jay Mohr's been doing the live reads on his podcast lately and they're atrocious and break the momentum of the conversation :(

Joe Rogan does it the talk for such and such seconds and also hit these key points way and it's pretty entertaining, some guests have hilarious input on it since it's obvious to them he's coasting through it, while live reads force guests to be polite and not make a sound thoughout, which sucks. I'd much quicker buy something that's talked about by funny people for a few minutes than from a droning, neverending pre-written pitch by some sales guy but them's the breaks for free entertainment I guess :(

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I think we all can agree that The Money Zone is the best podcast advertising around, particularly if there is a jingle.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Al! posted:

I think we all can agree that The Money Zone is the best podcast advertising around, particularly if there is a jingle.

If not for the Money Zone, we may never have gotten the beauty of Griffin's Space Jam.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm normally quite cool with the ads in podcasts, but the earwolf ones are getting a bit irritating. Not just because of the length and unfunniness, but also because it seems like they created a ton of overhead by moving to a big studio, and are now whining about how they can't afford it. The other podcasting networks seem to get by just fine without having to call out donor names during shows. Did the Sklars and Two Charted really want to do a 2nd show each week, or is it to create more ad exposure?

I would just rather pay a monthly fee tbwh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lamuella posted:

plus they have that bane of podcasts, the guy who thinks it's his job to reply to every line the host says with a gag thus breaking up the flow. He seems to get it out of his system after a few minutes, though, and after that it becomes fun.

Wow. Reading this comment and the one before tell me that I love the flophouse for EXACTLY the opposite reason as everyone else. Elliott and the letter tangents are what put this show over "We Hate Movies" for me.

EDIT: Anyhooo...

• Locked thread