Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Seeing videos with ATVs riding around on streets in the middle of the city is always the biggest WTF :psyduck: thing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

lancemantis posted:

Seeing videos with ATVs riding around on streets in the middle of the city is always the biggest WTF :psyduck: thing for me

I rode to Montana a couple summers ago and had this same reaction. Well, that and the fact they all carried helmets hanging from their elbows by the strap. Apparently its because some counties have helmet laws or something so this way they can just 'toss on the bucket' when they get there.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

red19fire posted:

I think this is the best place to post this article full of :cmon: quotes.

Anyone want to take bets on whether 'faulty brakes' means improperly maintained, manufacturer defect, or operator doesn't know how to brake properly? Reading the article, I was hoping for someone to say that the front brake is the front flip lever.

These guys are the ultimate squids, whipping through narrow city streets while pulling wheelies wearing T shirts and tennis shoes. The article also ignores a huge part of 'bike culture' in Philadelphia, which is gun running and drug trafficking on dirt bikes & ATV's.

I live in (right outside) Philadelphia and this stuff is nothing new. Misguided youth have nothing going for them so they create their own cultures... which is normally great, but the dirt bike/ATV thing is a loving disaster. They ride up and down city streets 24/7 from April till November and travel in huge packs. As you've probably seen they do some seriously :psyduck: things like hold wheelie contests on I-95. When you get a hundred of the hoodlums together it's impossible to stop them. As a matter of fact the Philadelphia Police have a no-chase policy for dirt bikers and ATVs because they are likely to cause serious accidents or deaths. But the gene pool is small and the group is largely self-regulated, because the biggest idiots die horrible deaths from falling off a Banshee while doing a wheelie down American Street at 50 MPH.

Oh yeah, and there's the drug smuggling thing, too. Combine that with the no-chase policy and you seriously have a loving mad max world in your hands.

On less of a squddly note (but perhaps not by much), in the last ~5 years South Street has become some sort of black sportbike mecca. I don't know what they exactly do there, go into bars I guess, but on any given night there are hundreds of Japanese bikes and even some Ducatis parked parallel to one another, in packs of 10 to 20. They're all ridden by black dudes from Philadelphia and Brooklyn, I think, and they like to just stand there and make noise. I don't really understand the culture and the juxtaposition of burly black dudes with huge chain wallets, Timberlands, and black leather MC vests on tricked-out Busas is still mind-boggling. They don't really cause a ruckus or anything, so I can't really fault them, but boy do they love to do 90+ and weave in and out of traffic on I-76 at 2 AM after a night at the bars. With a helmet, MC vest, jeans, and Timberlands.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I live in (right outside) Philadelphia and this stuff is nothing new. Misguided youth have nothing going for them so they create their own cultures... which is normally great, but the dirt bike/ATV thing is a loving disaster. They ride up and down city streets 24/7 from April till November and travel in huge packs. As you've probably seen they do some seriously :psyduck: things like hold wheelie contests on I-95. When you get a hundred of the hoodlums together it's impossible to stop them. As a matter of fact the Philadelphia Police have a no-chase policy for dirt bikers and ATVs because they are likely to cause serious accidents or deaths. But the gene pool is small and the group is largely self-regulated, because the biggest idiots die horrible deaths from falling off a Banshee while doing a wheelie down American Street at 50 MPH.

Oh yeah, and there's the drug smuggling thing, too. Combine that with the no-chase policy and you seriously have a loving mad max world in your hands.

On less of a squddly note (but perhaps not by much), in the last ~5 years South Street has become some sort of black sportbike mecca. I don't know what they exactly do there, go into bars I guess, but on any given night there are hundreds of Japanese bikes and even some Ducatis parked parallel to one another, in packs of 10 to 20. They're all ridden by black dudes from Philadelphia and Brooklyn, I think, and they like to just stand there and make noise. I don't really understand the culture and the juxtaposition of burly black dudes with huge chain wallets, Timberlands, and black leather MC vests on tricked-out Busas is still mind-boggling. They don't really cause a ruckus or anything, so I can't really fault them, but boy do they love to do 90+ and weave in and out of traffic on I-76 at 2 AM after a night at the bars. With a helmet, MC vest, jeans, and Timberlands.

Yeah, I work in Philly and I've seen this quite a bit as well. (The dirt bike kids and the black ryderz) The black dudes in pirate gear on sport bikes is hilarious, though. Has anyone seen this elsewhere? Or is this unique to our fair city?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
No, it's normal.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Bloody Queef posted:

Yeah, I work in Philly and I've seen this quite a bit as well. (The dirt bike kids and the black ryderz) The black dudes in pirate gear on sport bikes is hilarious, though. Has anyone seen this elsewhere? Or is this unique to our fair city?

Hahahaha!!! I am glad someone else finds the pirate 'Busa ryyderzzzzz as hilarious as I do. I've seen some Brooklyn patches before so I know it's not just Philly. I'm wondering if these MCs are territorial like 1%ers and if they brawl a lot. From my experiences on South Street they actually seem pretty peaceful - they just like to showboat a little and ride like dongs on the highway. But I'd love to hear more info from others.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
All I see in Seattle is Monsters, vintage BMWs & Triumphs.

E: I'm such a unique snowflake on my FZ6.

EE: Ah, Das Busa! We've got a thread on them over on the SV650 forums. http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145688&highlight=das+busa

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 6, 2012

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I love it when people who don't know anything about motorcycling try to strike up a conversation. A vendor noticed my helmet in my office and then this happened:

:btroll:Oh you ride a motorcycle? My neighbor who was riding for 30 years got hit by a drunk driver. There was nothing he could do. Luckily he was able to get the motorcycle on its side.

:raise: Um, why is laying it down on its side better? Motorcycles stop faster on their tires. Chrome isn't well known for gripping asphalt.

:btroll: Well he was totally okay but he had a heart attack during the accident. On the ride to the hospital he had a stroke. He was in therapy for three years. He's blind now from the stroke and he'll never see again.

:raise: Did I tell you that I ride every single day to work? I love my motorcycle.

:btroll: I would never ride one. They are death machines.

:c00l: I sure do like it. I have a picture of it. Wanna see?

That shut the vendor up. (sigh)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Safety Dance posted:

You never have enough power. Just enough to make you want a little more.

I read once, perhaps on this very forum, that every motorcycle is only able to go one of two speeds: Not Fast Enough and Too Fast.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sagebrush posted:

I read once, perhaps on this very forum, that every motorcycle is only able to go one of two speeds: Not Fast Enough and Too Fast.

So true.

Also, i just met a Layer Dan!

I was outside the hotel room trying to get the pistons out of my brake caliper, when a guy walks up and starts bullshitting. Tells me how he started riding on a 72 Honda 350, etc. Then he says "Heh, yeah, brakes are important! Just be careful you don't end up as a hood ornament. Back in December, I was on my Harley and someone pulled out in front of me and I had to lay 'er down."

"Why?"

"Well, I saw him about to turn and started to hit the brakes...then he stopped. So I kept on the brakes, but then he just pulled out in front of me. So I locked up the rear.."

"Were you on the front brakes at all?"

"Nah, that locks up too easy! So, the rear locked up and I just had to lay her down, slid into 'em at about 30 miles an hour."

"You couldn't have swerved?"

"Ain't no swervin' on a Harley."

I didn't think these idiots really existed. I was happier before.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Making noise, riding like dongs, occasionally buying a Ducati? They just sound like bikers to me.

I don't think there's a radically different bike culture going on. I last lived in Philly more than 5 years ago, so the awesome South Street thing is news to me, but my experience was that the reasons people bought sportsbikes seemed to be fairly universal. Wearing different clothing, chroming your rims and occasionally lowridering your (chrome) 'busa is just getting to largely the same place from a different direction. I never got asked where my pirate clothes were while riding around my neighborhood, but I did meet a lot of dudes who liked fast bikes.

I only ever saw the dirt-bike thing a couple of times, both coincidentally in Elmwood. Both involved impressive wheelies for a considerable distance. It was much more entertaining than your average Philadelphia traffic. Dirt bike madness is the way forward...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Nah, those are just the slow ones. Quick bikes also have a speed commonly known as Ohhh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (alternately known as Going Plaid)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

iwentdoodie posted:

"Ain't no swervin' on a Harley."
I'm imagining an ad campaign based on this. Maybe something accusing Romney of swerving too much. Something which cannot be done on rock solid American iron.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm imagining an ad campaign based on this. Maybe something accusing Romney of swerving too much. Something which cannot be done on rock solid American iron.

"Ain't no swerving on a #StereotypicalHarley"

Is that still going on?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Safety Dance posted:

"Ain't no swerving on a #StereotypicalHarley"

Is that still going on?

lol, I forgot about #StereotypicalHarley

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Saga posted:

I only ever saw the dirt-bike thing a couple of times, both coincidentally in Elmwood. Both involved impressive wheelies for a considerable distance. It was much more entertaining than your average Philadelphia traffic. Dirt bike madness is the way forward...
I live in South Philly in a mostly black neighborhood. Block-long wheelies and middle-of-the-intersection donuts/burnouts are very common from about April til October. I've seen swarms of ATV's and dirtbikes riding down Grey's Ferry all with their front ends pointed straight up. Those kids just don't give a gently caress.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

MourningGlory posted:

I live in South Philly in a mostly black neighborhood. Block-long wheelies and middle-of-the-intersection donuts/burnouts are very common from about April til October. I've seen swarms of ATV's and dirtbikes riding down Grey's Ferry all with their front ends pointed straight up. Those kids just don't give a gently caress.

Sounds like it's time to move to Philly again. :911:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Forgot that I found out my dad is Layer Dan this weekend. I finally went over to tell him I got a motorcycle. I had been avoiding it because my dad quit riding years ago when a friend slammed into the side of a car that pulled out in front of him and ruptured his spleen. I never really asked about it, but it scared him enough that he quit riding. So I figured he wouldn't be thrilled about me riding.

No helmet or gear was worn on their Harleys. He called my 919 a crotch rocket, and asked why didn't you get a Harley. He told me I shouldn't use my front brake because I will go over the handlebars. He said he still has his old chaps up in the closet if I wanted them. He jumped on my bike without asking, couldn't reach the ground with his short legs, and almost dumped it. Said he would take it for a ride but he was wearing shorts. I told him he could dust off his riding skills on his own bike, preferably one he could reach the ground on, and he wasn't going to stuff my poo poo in a hedge somewhere.

I basically left it at, you should really take the MSF class they teach you all sorts of good stuff if you decide to ride again. Seeing me on one sort of lit up his eyes. I wish Florida wouldn't honor other states Motorcycle endorsements, and force people to take the state required MSF.

:negative:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

BlackLaser posted:

. I wish Florida wouldn't honor other states Motorcycle endorsements, and force people to take the state required MSF.

:negative:

The MSF is a national program, if you take it anywhere it's supposed to be the same (some folks in the pac northwest have another program too that's very similar). In Wisconsin we "teach" an extra section that's called "The Wisconsin Module". It's literally a 45 minute beg session of "Please don't drink and ride, we're in Wisconsin and we've got a terrible drinking problem already and the other states look down on us."

This weekend at the MSF I taught I got two good ones.

During the double u-turn area of exercise 10. "I have to look down and not at the exit because I need to see where the bike is not where I'm going."

During the "Cornering" of exercise 7. "I put my knee out because that's how you corner. I've got a CBR1000 at home already and it won't corner properly unless you put your knee out." (When asked how he gets his knee out on the road king he rides also I was given a shrug and he wandered away)

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 7, 2012

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Skreemer posted:

The MSF is a national program, if you take it anywhere it's supposed to be the same

His home state (IL) didn't require the MSF to get a license. Just some parking lot drills at the DMV, and a written test. He's never taken it, he needs to.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

BlackLaser posted:

His home state (IL) didn't require the MSF to get a license. Just some parking lot drills at the DMV, and a written test. He's never taken it, he needs to.

Try to get him to go in Illinois if he's still a resident... it costs 25$ for the class there. (It's subsidized by the fees on getting your endorsement and getting plated.) In most other states it's not subsidized and costs between 250$ and 300$. If he takes it through a private firm in Chicago it's personalized but it's 350$ an hour.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Skreemer posted:

Try to get him to go in Illinois if he's still a resident... it costs 25$ for the class there. (It's subsidized by the fees on getting your endorsement and getting plated.) In most other states it's not subsidized and costs between 250$ and 300$. If he takes it through a private firm in Chicago it's personalized but it's 350$ an hour.

Its actually only like $350 for the whole shebang from a private company in Chicago, thats including the test for the license.

http://www.motorcyclelearning.com/products/basic-rider-course-1

I took this course to get my M-class about a year ago, I had been riding for a few years and it still taught me some good stuff. I feel like it was worth the money since getting into a subsidized program has like a year long waiting list, not to mention the teachers/material/bikes were great. I really have nothing bad to say about the program.

I expected to be one of the few guys who knew how to ride but including me 4 of the 5 in my class had all been riding for a while.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Skreemer posted:

Not only is it $25, but if he's a cheap rear end he can choose to get it refunded once he completes the class. Or you can just opt to donate it to the program (like most people do). The fee is really only there to hold your spot in the class.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

KozmoNaut posted:

My Harley-ridingowning colleague asked me when I was going to Man Up and get a Real Bike.

I asked him how many kilometers he put on his Fat Boy last year.

:smug:: "Oh, about 500"

:rolleyes:

I think it's rad when dudes brag about how few miles they have on their bikes.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

guy in a jetta posted:

I would lie about that if I had put that few miles on my bike. At that point why even have one? Unless maybe you're injured or something out of the ordinary.
What a waste of a bike, Like starving kids in China someone needs to tell that guy "There are broke young adults all over the world who have to pretend that their bicycle has a motor on it on the way to work. Ride your motorcycle or we will give it to the broke guy wistfully looking at the Craigslist bike ads."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

guy in a jetta posted:

But resale value! :downs:

Yeah man, just like only loving your wife real gentle once a month to keep her tight for the next guy.

I swear, some people are just to goddamn stupid to appreciate what they have, while they still have it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I swear, some people are just to goddamn stupid to appreciate what they have, while they still have it.

I park my bike on a highway at night. I ride every day like it's stolen because when I wake up, well, it just might be :haw:

:(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah man, just like only loving your wife real gentle once a month to keep her tight for the next guy.
Well I mean if you're planning on selling her and want to get a good price for her

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

there's probably some forum somewhere overseas that is discussing exactly this, unironically. :saddowns:

what is worse is this actually makes it funnier to me

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Xovaan posted:

I park my bike on a highway at night. I ride every day like it's stolen because when I wake up, well, it just might be :haw:

:(

What's wrong with that? Lots of people legitimately want their bikes/cars stolen so they get the full value to buy something different.

I'm pretty happy that mine got written off. That and personal injury compensation means an upgrade!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mootmoot posted:

What's wrong with that? Lots of people legitimately want their bikes/cars stolen so they get the full value to buy something different.

I'm pretty happy that mine got written off. That and personal injury compensation means an upgrade!

You're bad at trolling.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
There's an older lady at my work who used to ride with her husband pretty much every sunny day. She has a goldwing and he had some flavor of Harley, but had to sell it a little while back when his health started to deteriorate. You could really tell it was a blow for them. Well, today they show up on her husbands brand new CanAm Spyder, just grinning like crazy. First thing one of my coworkers (who doesn't ride) says to them?

"You know, you could have bought like, three Gixxers for the cost of that POS"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blinken posted:

There's an older lady at my work who used to ride with her husband pretty much every sunny day. She has a goldwing and he had some flavor of Harley, but had to sell it a little while back when his health started to deteriorate. You could really tell it was a blow for them. Well, today they show up on her husbands brand new CanAm Spyder, just grinning like crazy. First thing one of my coworkers (who doesn't ride) says to them?

"You know, you could have bought like, three Gixxers for the cost of that POS"

Ok, they look dumb, but to stomp all over someone's new purchase... what a dick. You should have beat him to death with a squid's broken-off clutch lever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, they look dumb, but to stomp all over someone's new purchase... what a dick. You should have beat him to death with a squid's broken-off clutch lever.

They get a pass if they can't ride 2 wheels for a legit reason like heath issues or physical limitations. Otherwise I am pretty much that dick in my head. Outwardly, I am not interested in talking about somebody's awful Snowmobike.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I agree. The only reason I'd ever ride one of those things is if I absolutely had to, like in that case.

Also I really want to ride a "gixxer" since I've never ridden one. I bet it's not very fun honestly

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

Also I really want to ride a "gixxer" since I've never ridden one. I bet it's not very fun honestly

They're lots of fun just take them to the track. Somehow, most owners haven't figured this out yet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mine's great fun, all I had to do was remove most of what made it a mad-tight-sportsbike-yo :v:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I found myself behind a Can-am today, dude was movin pretty slow which I didn't have a problem with but he cut into the other lane really deep on a sweeping left hand turn with pretty poor visibility that left my jaw hanging somewhere around my midsection. Pure stupid, and further cements my idea that can-ams are for people who can't drive, let alone control a bike without doing something careless or dangerously dumb. Saw the guy at the gas station later, just some out of shape late 30s early 40s weekend warrior on his toy.

I fully support disabled people having ways to feel how we feel on our bikes though so good for Blinkin's coworker lady.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
There is a guy at work that keeps talking about getting a cam-am. I tried to get him to take the MSF course so he could find out two wheels are better then three but it seems he's really latched onto that thing. I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Gnaghi posted:

There is a guy at work that keeps talking about getting a cam-am. I tried to get him to take the MSF course so he could find out two wheels are better then three but it seems he's really latched onto that thing. I just don't get it.

People, for some reason, are terrified of a two wheeled vehicle. They think it will constantly fall over for no reason. They imagine holding up a 500 lb vehicle at a stop light is really hard. They may have even ridden a buddy's bike around a parking lot, but this instilled even more fear in the person, because that's the hardest place for a new rider to handle a bike. The can-am was created for those people.

• Locked thread