Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Al2001 posted:

My brother says it's mainly bad but also directed me to this.

That was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

goatface posted:

That was pretty bad.

I'll say.

On the bright side nice to see Harry Partridge is working for the BBC now.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

goatface posted:

I couldn't even get subtitles on Eurovision, and those are normally amazing.

The situation is pretty bad. It's most obvious on special interest programmes where it's obvious that that the person doing the subtitles has no idea what is being talked about and nobody who does has checked what they've written.

For the songs at least there was a 'singalong' version on the red button.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

goatface posted:

I couldn't even get subtitles on Eurovision, and those are normally amazing.

The situation is pretty bad. It's most obvious on special interest programmes where it's obvious that that the person doing the subtitles has no idea what is being talked about and nobody who does has checked what they've written.

The subtitles worked fine on Eurovision for me, and they were amazing for all the wrong reasons. The constant typos and flat-out bizarre wrong words as someone tried to live-type it were an extra source of hilarity. That was the live broadcast though, I don't know if those get transferred straight to iPlayer.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Xachariah posted:

Has anyone else noticed the quality of subtitles declining a poo poo-load on BBC iPlayer? I can't even watch the latest HIGNFY because the subtitles are so out of sync it isn't funny. The shows are only on iPlayer for a week, and in many cases the subtitles aren't fixed before the week is up.

Even subtitles on TV have declined in quality markedly. It's pretty infuriating. Half the time they have some sap doing "live" style subtitles on recorded programs.

At least for American shows there is a pretty solid base of people willing to create amateur text based subtitles files that can be overlaid on most media players. Sometimes they are made manually and sometimes the files are ripped from the closed captions. No one gives the slightest gently caress for British shows most of the time.

Yeah seriously, I've wondered this aswell. I've found they usually sort it out if you wait a day or two after the show aired, but not always. It is pretty annoying, but then again I'm not hearing impaired or anything I just like having subtitles on for everything I watch. I have no idea why I do this and my flatmates hate it.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I'm not hearing-impaired either but I watch a lot of stuff with subtitles enabled too. For some shows - the last few series of Doctor Who spring to mind - the mixing makes it hard for me to hear the dialogue among the bombastic scores and explosions. I've never bothered to configure my cheapo surround system properly either, so it goes from floor-shaking loud action to barely audible dialogue. Turning on subtitles is less hassle than constantly fiddling with the volume every time things stop exploding and people start talking.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I watch everything with subtitles too. I can read really quickly, so I like the security of knowing I know everything that's said if something else happens (like a big noise outside). It's especially great when you're living with other people and they walk in and start a conversation with you...I can follow the show and their conversation without skipping a beat.

I dislike live subtitles, though and knock those off.

It seems to irritate all of my mates, although my parents have joined me on the subtitle craze.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Captain Mediocre posted:

Yeah seriously, I've wondered this aswell. I've found they usually sort it out if you wait a day or two after the show aired, but not always. It is pretty annoying, but then again I'm not hearing impaired or anything I just like having subtitles on for everything I watch. I have no idea why I do this and my flatmates hate it.

A good use of subtitles I've heard of is parents turning on subtitles while their children are learning to read and write. For obvious reasons it really enhances a child's learning of English.

But yeah, some people seem to dislike subtitles for some reason. I find I know far more about the plots to movies and TV shows than people who watch without them. I'd probably use subtitles even if I could hear perfectly too.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
My parents put the subtitles on most things they watch. It doesn't bother me too much, but I do find it a bit distracting and sometimes it can effect the rhythm a bit. Not a huge deal, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Queen eh ? Who remembers the Queen ? You don't see the Queen anymore.

This concert is loving awful.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Paul's voice sounds haggard.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I laughed at Stevie Wonder singing "happy birthday" to her

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

I laughed at Stevie Wonder singing "happy birthday" to her

Why? It's the queen's official birthday today according to my calendar.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of old British things barely anyone cares about now, if you remember the rather loud and well done advertisement made by the lottery about proceeds going towards Veterans of the Pacific and Asia campaigns of WW2 check iPlayer. A rather well done mini series documentary about the Fall of Singapore is apparently the result of all that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Brother starts in 20 minutes, where's the megathread?!!?!

(I only know because I had 5* on earlier for Gilmore Girls and Malcolm in the Middle reruns, I swear).

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Is anyone else watching Horizon? I feel like I missed how they got from Venus to SETI. I wish the BBC would stop this dumbing down of it's science programmes.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Stupid Decisions posted:

Is anyone else watching Horizon? I feel like I missed how they got from Venus to SETI. I wish the BBC would stop this dumbing down of it's science programmes.

Well it's better than the History of Mathematics documentaries with Marcus du Sautoy presenting. I had no complaints with his presentation, I just disliked the content and the editing. No equations were shown and many concepts were glazed over, and I'm saying this as a layman to mathematics. The editing seemed like it intended to give you seizures, and the content seemed geared towards primary school children. Maybe it was geared towards primary aged children, I don't know.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Xachariah posted:

Well it's better than the History of Mathematics documentaries with Marcus du Sautoy presenting. I had no complaints with his presentation, I just disliked the content and the editing. No equations were shown and many concepts were glazed over, and I'm saying this as a layman to mathematics. The editing seemed like it intended to give you seizures, and the content seemed geared towards primary school children. Maybe it was geared towards primary aged children, I don't know.

I don't remember too much about the History of Mathematics but I can usually give maths programmes a pass when they only give a high level view. Even with a background in mathematics a programme that spent time going through proofs would be pretty dull, if you are interested there are plenty of good lectures on iTunes U.

This episode of Horizon was just all over the place, twice they discussed the atmosphere of Venus and didn't mention the Venus Express satellite. Horizon is at its best when it shows current science not wishy washy views about life.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Stupid Decisions posted:

I don't remember too much about the History of Mathematics but I can usually give maths programmes a pass when they only give a high level view. Even with a background in mathematics a programme that spent time going through proofs would be pretty dull, if you are interested there are plenty of good lectures on iTunes U.

This episode of Horizon was just all over the place, twice they discussed the atmosphere of Venus and didn't mention the Venus Express satellite. Horizon is at its best when it shows current science not wishy washy views about life.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm hard of hearing and it's unlikely that iTunes U would have subtitle support in any of the lectures. I don't have an iPad, iPhone or iPod either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Speaking of Marcus du Sautoy, has anyone else been watching School of Hard Sums? It's not incredible or anything, but it manages to be both funny and interesting a lot of the time.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Speaking of Marcus du Sautoy, has anyone else been watching School of Hard Sums? It's not incredible or anything, but it manages to be both funny and interesting a lot of the time.

Yeah, I've been watching it. I agree with you, it's entertaining and informative. Though I wish they showed Marcus du Sautoy's 'model' method of working things out. It's great when Dara or the students get the model answer but that doesn't happen every time.

Like today they did the football scores and the Königsberg problem. In the football scores problem they didn't show any mathematical working out at all, it was just the guest working it out with trial and error. Marcus du Sautoy said there was a complicated solution but he mentioned nothing further and the program moved on. I would've liked to have seen the complicated way (in a brief manner).

For the most part it's fairly good.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The pHo posted:

Big Brother starts in 20 minutes, where's the megathread?!!?!

(I only know because I had 5* on earlier for Gilmore Girls and Malcolm in the Middle reruns, I swear).

Big Brother still airs in the UK? My god..

We don't show it here in Australia anymore, because you know, it's loving stupid.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Tony Montana posted:

Big Brother still airs in the UK? My god..
I can guarantee that very few people in Britain know it's still airing. I knew they had another series on Five after the last one (the 10th one?) finished on Channel 4, but that was atleast a year ago, this is the first mention of a new series I've heard, I was sure it was finished.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, C5 bought the rights because presumably it's cheap as all hell to produce and fills gargantuan hours of airspace.

C5 are pretty great at buying the rights to stuff which then slowly dies on the channel, both Home and Away and Neighbours live there now... I can't imagine their ratings approach anything like they used to be on BBC/ITV.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The pHo posted:

Home and Away and Neighbours

Yep, other terrible poo poo that people only watch here if they earn less than a set amount a year. I know that sounds to terribly arrogant, but it's just the truth.

Earlier Dragon's Den episodes are pretty amusing, I really like the American, Doug Richards. He's not so brash as to be an idiot and painful to listen to, but he does pull out some real American no-nonsense SHOW ME THE MONEY logic when the Brits fart around a bit trying to not offend quite so much.

Rachel Elnaugh, there is an interesting story. I can also think of few things more sexy that shutting her up by sticking my cock into her open, yapping mouth.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Quite a revealing post in some ways

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Tony Montana posted:

Yep, other terrible poo poo that people only watch here if they earn less than a set amount a year. I know that sounds to terribly arrogant, but it's just the truth.

Earlier Dragon's Den episodes are pretty amusing, I really like the American, Doug Richards. He's not so brash as to be an idiot and painful to listen to, but he does pull out some real American no-nonsense SHOW ME THE MONEY logic when the Brits fart around a bit trying to not offend quite so much.

Rachel Elnaugh, there is an interesting story. I can also think of few things more sexy that shutting her up by sticking my cock into her open, yapping mouth.

Well, now we know your views on women and the working class, whats to be done about the abbos?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
School of Hard Sums is alright as a concept and it's great to see some maths in prime time. I worry it suffers from the rather "dead" studio atmosphere (those rounds of applause appear to be crew members by the sound of it) and sometimes (as always with these things) the guest quality matters too.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!
Actually, on the subject of weird guys who make everything horribly awkward, I hope in the next series of HIGNFY they stop bringing in people like Shatner. It's always more funny if their one-shot hosts are people who have, you know, actually done things in politics instead of just being 'personalities'. Especially if Ian doesn't like them. The Campbell episode was hilarious.

e: and if they ever bring on Bruce Forsyth again I won't be responsible for my actions

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh I don't know, I think there's an awful lot to be said for having the occasional incompetent as host. It shakes things up marvellously.

I loved the Shatner episode.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

My conclusion is that any music that has gained enough mainstream respectability to be suitable for a concert for the Queen of England is going to be so toothless, desiccated and inane as to be totally poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Oh I don't know, I think there's an awful lot to be said for having the occasional incompetent as host. It shakes things up marvellously.

I loved the Shatner episode.

I don't mind the odd gimmick to shake it up, I just wish the episode was a little longer so Ian would eventually make Campbell snap poo poo himself with rage and hang himself with his tie on national telly.

A man can dream :(.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Hammer Backspace posted:

e: and if they ever bring on Bruce Forsyth again I won't be responsible for my actions

I just don't know what to say to this...

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I went to the (a?) Brucie one. Not a particular fan of his or anything but it was pretty good. I haven't watched the show in years because it's grown stale and I could turn the sound off and know what all the jokes will be, and also because I tend to go out on Fridays and get shitfaced. Plus I don't follow the news really.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Xachariah posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm hard of hearing and it's unlikely that iTunes U would have subtitle support in any of the lectures. I don't have an iPad, iPhone or iPod either.

I guess you don't care too much but some of the MIT OpenCourseWare stuff is transcribed and available to watch with subtitles, have a look at this series on classical mechanics.
I would imagine quite a few of the top universities transcribe at least some of the open learning materials.

Also, you don't need any Apple devices to watch video in iTunes.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Am I the only person watching "Hit and Miss"? Third episode of six was on last night.

Apologies if I missed a mention of it (went back to mid may-ish) and I didn't notice a thread upon a quick look just now. It's on Sky Atlantic on Tuesday nights and is made in the UK rather than being a bought in US show. The lead role is played by Chloë Sevigny who apparently was in Big Love for a few years.

It's subject matter is somewhat different than most shows, don't want to throw spoilers around although the main reveal happens in the first 3 minutes of the first episode anyway for anyone who hadn't heard anything about it beforehand or clicked links like the below.

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/shows/hit-and-miss

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The literal first thing I heard about it was someone mocking its DVD box-cover over in CD. The second was someone spoiling its somewhat different subject matter coupled with the fact that it was co-written by the State of Play's Paul Abbot. Then I forgot about it until it was reviewed on Radio 4, where they said it evoked David Lynch.
But as good as it looks, I'm not getting a Skybox. I am going to buy that DVD though.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 6, 2012

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strawman posted:

Well, now we know your views on women and the working class, whats to be done about the abbos?

Nothing. They're loving it up well enough on their own.

Trashy soap operas are usually watched by not the brightest of people. Powerful women that also are attractive can be really sexy.

Anything else you guys need, just let me know.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tony Montana posted:

Both of those shows used to be huge over here, airing twice daily (midday and early evening). Britain loves soap operas for reasons I can't comprehend, at least the Oz ones have nice weather so I quite enjoyed both those shows while I find Coronations St, Emmerdale and Eastenders depressing trash.

Most of what I know of Oz TV just seems to be remakes of shows we get here in the UK, so you have my commiserations. The redo of TV Burp was scarily close to the original, same set and I'd swear they'd used the same writers due to the way the gags worked.

I like anything The Chaser does and Micallef was funny back in the day, but I'm pretty out of touch with what else is big your side. I know of Outrageous Fortune and McCleods Daughters (or something like that) but haven't ever seen them. I don't think we've imported anything non-soap from you guys for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

While we're on the subject, what do you Aussies think of those Fosters advertisements that are shown here?

In advance too, we're really really sorry. Advertising people in this country are mostly humourless reptiles.