Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I like the direction KRIT is going in. It's not all bumpin' jumpin' poo poo from his old tapes that we all know and love, you can tell he's got a more serious perspective now. I know he produces most of his own poo poo, but I wonder if he will ever consider a live band. Think how ill that would be.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

TenaciousTomato posted:

I like the direction KRIT is going in. It's not all bumpin' jumpin' poo poo from his old tapes that we all know and love, you can tell he's got a more serious perspective now. I know he produces most of his own poo poo, but I wonder if he will ever consider a live band. Think how ill that would be.

Thhat would be straight fire man.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

youngallah posted:

word on the street is that krispy kreme signed to mad decent. lol

source

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
it was my friend but i think he was joking haha

pinkeye
Feb 13, 2004
I need antibiodics.
I had low expectations for MA Doom: Son of Yvonne, but I'm really liking it.

edit: And I think there's a new Doom verse on track 8

pinkeye fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 6, 2012

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I know this won't be for everyone but I've seen some chatter here and there about Illogic before. Him and Blockhead just released their EP together Preparing for Capture. It's pay what you want through his bandcamp there for a digital copy, and there's an option for $8 for a physical copy with 2 bonus tracks and a poster. I've enjoyed it all the way through, Blockhead is a really good backing for Illogic's more spoken word style.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

youngallah posted:

word on the street is that krispy kreme signed to mad decent. lol

I want to believe. I really want to believe someone actually signed Krispy Kreme.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
XVII and Bohagon - The Kuntry Klub

I like pretty much everything Bohagon does (I just wish he'd do more) and for a Pimp C understudy, XVII is good, just a little tough to search out new music from him.

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010
Kool Keith released his last album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xFAkQtvk-Q

Taco Delay
Jun 3, 2012

"Yeah, I'd like 6,000 chicken fajitas, please?"

he's still doing his thang. Go Keith!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
For those of you wondering what he has been up to and judging by album sales you probably aren't but Canibus will be slumming it in a battle rap contest this weekend against battle rap legend Dizaster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P8c8MMdRss

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Oh jeez, that rapper at 1:15 is laughable. This looks like someone made a fake rap battle video with those crowd reactions of "NNNNNG" and "RRRRRGG"

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Inspectah
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.20619/title.inspectah-deck-american-way

yeahhh

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Diodeous posted:

Oh jeez, that rapper at 1:15 is laughable. This looks like someone made a fake rap battle video with those crowd reactions of "NNNNNG" and "RRRRRGG"

Those are Canadians in the crowd to be fair. The URL/Smack audiences are just as bad though in a different way.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Okay, now the video makes sense. Thanks Frot

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

spaceghostpurrp is dropping his first album on 4AD, mysterious phonk: chronicles of spaceghostpurrp, in like... 6 days. you can listen to it streaming here.

all y'all who said you would like to see him release something with proper mastering, etc should give it a listen.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
New Nasir Jones album please.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

afgrunden posted:

spaceghostpurrp is dropping his first album on 4AD, mysterious phonk: chronicles of spaceghostpurrp, in like... 6 days. you can listen to it streaming here.

all y'all who said you would like to see him release something with proper mastering, etc should give it a listen.

I'm really enjoying the remastering on a bunch of these tracks, it brings out stuff in the background that I wouldn't have caught otherwise. based on the couple new tracks he debuted on here, I'm really looking to grabbing this on vinyl, I wish I could see what it looks like before I purchase it thought.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

does french/any other rapper have stuff more like Whatchu Want by French Montana off Coke boys 2??

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Vivec posted:

does french/any other rapper have stuff more like Whatchu Want by French Montana off Coke boys 2??

what part exactly? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Os59RhFt4

cos its pretty much just ny rap

e:i love the martorialist so much because he confirms my sometimes lonely opinions

http://themartorialist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/is-reagan-by-killer-mike-el-p-most.html

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 6, 2012

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
I just now got around to listening to the XXX album from Danny Brown because of that sick rear end "Grown Up" video.

I'm now listening through "The Hybrid" but want to know if there's anything else out there besides these two albums? Any mixtapes to cop? Anything?

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
^ You're doing exactly what I did today. There's also Black and Brown, and I'm not sure what else since I'm mostly on the same page as you.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

conventionalcat posted:

^ You're doing exactly what I did today. There's also Black and Brown, and I'm not sure what else since I'm mostly on the same page as you.

If you like danny brown's style of rapping, you can check out friend dopehead's stuff (http://stereogum.com/839611/mixtape-of-the-week-dopehead-plaid-palm-trees/mp3s/)

There's also various bruiser brigade (Danny's crew) releases, including a showcase album of sorts.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

There's Hot Soup, which came out before The Hybrid, its got some bangers on it. He also had a serious of mix tapes called Detroit Date of Mind that I've had trouble tracking down. Anyone know where to get 'em?

farmtrill posted:

e:i love the martorialist so much because he confirms my sometimes lonely opinions

http://themartorialist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/is-reagan-by-killer-mike-el-p-most.html
El-P's got to be one of the most polarizing figures in rap. Folks either label him as a total rear end in a top hat or a genius for how he acted through the fall of both Rawkus and Def Jux. I've never known the whole story on either of them.
Anything that lots of people like is over-rated to somebody though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

farmtrill posted:

I actually kind of agree that Reagan is sort of clumsy and a misstep (though I think Mike does some good stuff on the track), but the hardon for hating El-P there is real weird.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Some people are desperate to prove how true they are and take available chances to stomp something every once in a while. I agree with him that Reagan is a pretty average track, so why does he have to flame it as if it's some kind of monster? And the stupid Reagan homage/cock waving is insane and has nothing to do with anything. Such a dumb blogger.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

chomper posted:

I just now got around to listening to the XXX album from Danny Brown because of that sick rear end "Grown Up" video.

I'm now listening through "The Hybrid" but want to know if there's anything else out there besides these two albums? Any mixtapes to cop? Anything?

Detroit state of mind mixtapes

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

snyprmag posted:

There's Hot Soup, which came out before The Hybrid, its got some bangers on it. He also had a serious of mix tapes called Detroit Date of Mind that I've had trouble tracking down. Anyone know where to get 'em?

El-P's got to be one of the most polarizing figures in rap. Folks either label him as a total rear end in a top hat or a genius for how he acted through the fall of both Rawkus and Def Jux. I've never known the whole story on either of them.
Anything that lots of people like is over-rated to somebody though.

I'd really like to hear about Def Jux's fall, because I'd always heard that he's been pretty fair with the artists and everything but for whatever reason it failed where stuff like Rhymesayers is still around. I also know Vast Aire had a beef with him after leaving, but from what I remember a lot of it was based on creative stuff and being that when El-P was in charge he released Cold Vein but when he was in charge he released...everything else I'm gonna side with El-P on that one. One idea I heard floated was that a bunch of their revenue was more based around physical product in general with all sorts of promos and different sorts of packaging and whatnot so when stuff moved digital they just couldn't sustain it, but I never really bought that.

And he didn't really have much to do with the fall of Rawkus, he was long gone by the time they went under (well, iirc they got bought out but w/e).

Also that blog post is dumb for any number of reasons and I've never really gotten down with what they put up there.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

quote:

Dilla really did change our lives when he managed to ruin three of the great eccentric groups of the early nineties in the space of a year with his pedestrian clip-cloppy production for De La, Tribe and The Pharcyde.
That dudes is pretty funny. Name a bad Dilla song please someone.

Like all grandpa rap fans, I'm bad for half remembering and revisionist history at times. But De La, Tribe, and Pharcyde were all stale by the time Dilla got involved and he was decent if not above par for the time. People like to listen to music after the fact and try to put it in context.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 7, 2012

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I'd meant El's falling out with Rawkus.

After looking harder, datpiff has Detriot State of Mind one and four and volumes 2 and 3 here

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This is the best rap album I've heard this year. A return to form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJ69Xx2PYE&feature=relmfu

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

temple posted:

Like all grandpa rap fans, I'm bad for half remembering and revisionist history at times. But De La, Tribe, and Pharcyde were all stale by the time Dilla got involved and he was decent if not above par for the time. People like to listen to music after the fact and try to put it in context.

yeah personally I really like Beats, Rhymes, and Life. I know everyone loves The Low End Theory, but that's the Tribe album I've probably listened to the most.

I do like the Martorialist though. dude has pretty good taste and is opinionated as hell which is nice since it seems like a lot of ppl with blogs try and get in nice with rappers that are on the internet. I appreciate honest poo poo even when (especially when!) I don't agree w/ it

temple
Jul 29, 2006

That blogger is contrarian and you can get away with that in hiphop because its so poorly documented. You couldn't call the Beatles overrated with seriously backing that up because there is information from the time they came out until now in which the Beatles are universally praised. Hiphop isn't so well covered so you have to take people's word. It really irks me because its too easy to sound critical by contributing to backlash against really popular figures like Dilla. At worst, Dilla was an inexperienced producer back in the mid 90's. But that's all you can say when his fingerprints is on stuff people liked from that time.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Anyone else here really really love P.O.S?

Anyways, depending on what side of the fence you're on in terms with Astronautalis being rap/hip-hop or rock/rap or indie/rap, not rap at all or whatever... This song is just so great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxFosP0cWs

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

That blogger is contrarian and you can get away with that in hiphop because its so poorly documented. You couldn't call the Beatles overrated with seriously backing that up because there is information from the time they came out until now in which the Beatles are universally praised. Hiphop isn't so well covered so you have to take people's word. It really irks me because its too easy to sound critical by contributing to backlash against really popular figures like Dilla. At worst, Dilla was an inexperienced producer back in the mid 90's. But that's all you can say when his fingerprints is on stuff people liked from that time.

I'm not sure I agree with this simply because there's no way that Dilla isn't near universally praised and that blogger dude's criticism of him is about as meaningful as my calling the Beatles overrated.

And I wouldn't say any of those groups were stale when Dilla got involved, although I have mentioned in the past how at the time most people poo poo on his work. Tribe was arguably the most critically acclaimed group at the time, and De La and Pharcyde were not too far off. I'd say they were all pretty much right near the peak of their popularity.

Beats, Rhymes and Life is in general a lot better album than people remember. REally I think if stressed out wasn't so big the album in general would've had a much better reputation. I do think all three groups had a different tone when Dilla got involved, but it's likely that was going to happen already (Prince Paul had left De La, Fatlip was starting to fall out with the other dudes, etc).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Beats Rhymes and Life came after Midnight Marauders and there was nowhere to go but down. I respect Tribe for retiring instead of dragging things out, something few hiphop acts do. But they should have hung it up after BR&L because they didn't have anything left to say.

That's why I say, Dilla came late to those groups. He didn't hurt them, the groups were naturally waning. I mean De La has been known for their singles but I didn't check for their whole albums after Stakes is High. Pharcyde got a lot of praise but I can't think of anyone that knows more than their few hit.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

the blogs style is purposefully over the top and scathing, thats his style. i have to admit im kinda surprised that its being taken so seriously by dudes here. yes obviously he is not an elp fan and has a few criticisms of one song, but i think most of the rest of it can be taken with a pinch of salt. all his posts are full of stupid movie references and jokes.

its probably only natural to get defensive if you grew up with all that def jux stuff but cmon guys i expect better of you. this is from the same blog who said that slim dunkin died because he didnt make noz's best of 2011 list! and you REALLY want to say its "dumb" because he talks a little poo poo about elp?

e:oh and when all my dudes get done crying over the downfall of def jux + tribe, get back to 2012 and realise that the new FLOCKA is out there! oh man oh man oh man oh man

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 7, 2012

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

temple posted:

oh come on that arugment is so lame dude. im not gonna go searching through my collection for bad dilla beats but lets not pretend they dont exist. he threw common plenty of clunkers. i am definitely a big dilla fan but i hate hows hes been lionised after his death. he is not a god. just a prolific producer with a unique sound

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

farmtrill posted:

the blogs style is purposefully over the top and scathing, thats his style. i have to admit im kinda surprised that its being taken so seriously by dudes here. yes obviously he is not an elp fan and has a few criticisms of one song, but i think most of the rest of it can be taken with a pinch of salt. all his posts are full of stupid movie references and jokes.

its probably only natural to get defensive if you grew up with all that def jux stuff but cmon guys i expect better of you. this is from the same blog who said that slim dunkin died because he didnt make noz's best of 2011 list! and you REALLY want to say its "dumb" because he talks a little poo poo about elp?

e:oh and when all my dudes get done crying over the downfall of def jux + tribe, get back to 2012 and realise that the new FLOCKA is out there! oh man oh man oh man oh man

admit it you just like dude cause he's on your side of the atlantic

also drat I'm gonna have to wait to listen to Triple F Action or w/e it's called until I can use some decent speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

farmtrill posted:

the blogs style is purposefully over the top and scathing, thats his style.
Welcome to sohh, okayplayer, and every other hiphop website post 2000. I hate revisionism. In the words of Nas "Let the late great veteran live!"

• Locked thread