Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I was always under the impression that the goggles unlock overlapped with my Sci-fi goggles unlock, but it's definitely possible it's just :cryptic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
This is mostly just Amazon stuff, but it's related to this game so I figured I would mention it.

So recently on Amazon someone was selling 60 day time cards pretty drat cheap. I emailed them and asked if they could just email me the codes, and refund the shipping. They said sure, so I ordered one, and it went fine. So I ordered two more, and then never really got my refunded shipping from those. However, two separate packages have showed up at my house now, containing one card each. I've been talking with them to figure out what the hell they want me to do, but it's looking like I'm gonna end up with a couple spare codes at this rate. Weird.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man I ordered a few timecards off Amazon and they gave me a ship date in mid-April and they gave me an expected ship date of early July. Some bullshit right there.

So does the difficulty in the game actually matter? If I set my adventures to hard do I get worthwhile rewards?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
It used to. Serpent Lantern bosses dropped 2x the items when defeated (in fact, they still do.) Because of this, you could kill them repeatedly on Elite and get some of the best gear in the game: blue-quality drops with some amazing stat bonuses.

Now, since all difficulties have the same drops, that trick doesn't work out well anymore. All you get for high-difficulty missions is slightly more experience per kill, which doesn't matter that much in comparison to the big EXP drop from completing missions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They added the new Power Armor stuff today, along with a Costume Set.

It's some bulky armor, plus thinner pieces that allow holographic armor.

In other words, Omnitools!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Time for a revival of "And this is my favourite Supergroup in the Citadel"? :toot:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe Rufus and Pingu were Tali and Wrecks, so it's just us and jjac left.

And jjac hasn't been around lately either.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 8, 2012

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Aphrodite posted:

They added the new Power Armor stuff today, along with a Costume Set.

It's some bulky armor, plus thinner pieces that allow holographic armor.

In other words, Omnitools!

None of that outside the omni-tool looks new. Am I missing something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whatspeakyou posted:

None of that outside the omni-tool looks new. Am I missing something?

It isn't. That's an old character that I added the holo bracer to.

We had a Mass Effect themed SG for a little while. Commander Shepherd, The Master Calibrator, Wrecks, Biotic Mass Murderer and I forget the last one.

Edit: Here's the team, minus Biotic Mass Murder/Jack/Jan:

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 8, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
One of the big things the Invincible did, speaking as someone who didn't buy it, is prove to me that, apparently, my Scourge is in the higher echelon of tanks in alerts if we consider 'holding villain's attention and not dying too quickly' the primary determiner of a tank's success.

Is it because there's no real way to get aggro off of someone for a tank, or do all the people playing tank ATs in alerts just think they're DPS?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's not really much you can do as a tank. You take the thread-based advantages, take defensive powers (if freeform), and then basically DPS however you normally would. All it requires is actually going to the level of taking said advantages and then not sucking.

With pubbies, "not sucking" is the hard part.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

One of the big things the Invincible did, speaking as someone who didn't buy it, is prove to me that, apparently, my Scourge is in the higher echelon of tanks in alerts if we consider 'holding villain's attention and not dying too quickly' the primary determiner of a tank's success.

Is it because there's no real way to get aggro off of someone for a tank, or do all the people playing tank ATs in alerts just think they're DPS?

Yeah, that factor is pretty much what determines if you're a tank or not.

One of the big problems is that F2P people usually don't realize the whole schtick about Challenging Strikes/Crippling Challenge, and don't take these costly advantages on their attacks.

Another more concerning problem is with the Tank role itself; it generates more threat by default, but loses damage in exchange, thus lowering the innate threat caused by the base attack. Lower energy in the Tank role also means they have a harder time keeping up a consistent attack, which is another determining factor in aggro management. Of course, because these players are locked into this semi-broken role, they simply aren't going to do anywhere near as well as custom-crafted tanks.

And this is because of the Bulwark specialization in the Protector tree; when you're running in hybrid, it causes you to generate a pretty sizable amount of threat per attack, essentially turning that into the players' tank role. So not only are they generating good threat from the specialization, they're able to attack more consistently with their energy reserve, and cause more base damage per attack. And that is why a freeform tank can leave an AT in the dust.

(Unless, of course, their DPS is thrown out-of-whack due to AT bonuses. A level 40 void can apparently out-damage and out-aggro a level 40 freeform martial artist with 102% severity. And I hold boss aggro roughly 90% of the time on that build.)

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Cleretic posted:

That Invincible AT didn't choose Invincible because they wanted to tank, they chose it because they wanted to be a guy in power armor. Likewise that Radiant over yonder is a Radiant because he wanted to be an angel, not because he wanted to be a healer. That's why they aren't tanking or healing.

That's the sort of player that this game attracts, largely.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Guy Forget posted:

That Invincible AT didn't choose Invincible because they wanted to tank, they chose it because they wanted to be a guy in power armor. Likewise that Radiant over yonder is a Radiant because he wanted to be an angel, not because he wanted to be a healer. That's why they aren't tanking or healing.

That's the sort of player that this game attracts, largely.

This is why they either need to unlock the ability to change your role or *really* allow people to buy freeform slots. The fun for the game comes from building out whatever hero you want with all the creativity that entails, not being locked to one of however many classes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The fun for the game comes from building out whatever hero you want with all the creativity that entails

Exactly. And that's why you need to give them $15 a month to do it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Exactly. And that's why you need to give them $15 a month to do it.

$15 a month is not a viable business model. I don't rent my games, I buy them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

You mean for you, right? Not a viable business model for you? Because I'm happy to rent my games, provided there is content that is added over time and access to a big and no doubt expensive to operate server. Besides, amazon has timecards for this game at 6 bucks for 60 days. Pay 30 bucks and play for most of a year, you'll get bored at the same speed you'll get bored of Military Shooter XII: Slight Improvement War.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can do that too, it just costs like $300.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Knowing how I play this game, any form ogf becoming Gold is gonna lost value and actually make me playt he game less after three days.

Say what you will about the freeform grab bag, and I'm pretty sure the RNG is broken far away from my favor in regards to it since I now have every Mechassassin and SC piece (with no reason to use them because both my characters are magic-based) and haven't gotten one slot... But I -am- capping my Questionite refining on both my characters every day trying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the best course of action is to give them to me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

theironjef posted:

You mean for you, right? Not a viable business model for you? Because I'm happy to rent my games, provided there is content that is added over time and access to a big and no doubt expensive to operate server. Besides, amazon has timecards for this game at 6 bucks for 60 days. Pay 30 bucks and play for most of a year, you'll get bored at the same speed you'll get bored of Military Shooter XII: Slight Improvement War.

There is a reason no MMO's are successfully lasting more than a few months as a payed model before they switch to F2P. It just isn't an economically viable model. And trying to do a F2P game but tying up the best feature behind the subscription fee is crazy dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So crazy dumb it's how literally every one of them does it
So monumentally stupid they all make more money once they do.

P2P is still viable, by the way. There's just more money in F2P unless you're WoW.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 10, 2012

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also the arguably most successful F2P western MMO, LoTRO, did the same thing ChampO did by starting as P2P, then transitioning to F2P while still keeping the subscription option for people so inclined. It works and works well for them, and subscription-based MMOs are completely viable as long as the company doesn't cock something up horribly during development.

Most do. :ironicat:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
That's right, and I'm gonna say, CO did gently caress up in regards largely to the whole Freeform/AT divide, which was basically made entirely so subscribers could feel elitist and non-subscribers inferior. I don't think people noticed how badly they messed up at first what with the fact CO used a very different system to everyone else anyway, although I know I had kind of a feeling of 'okay this is kinda dumb'. But as time went on and especially when City of Heroes went free with a much better system, we really started noticing.

I dunno whether or not it's at an 'unsalvageable' point now, I don't think it is, but they definitely can't completely retool it into a 'correct' way of doing it.

EDIT: I will commend them for one thing, though: They thought of a business model that lets them release lesser versions of stuff they already released, and actually make money off it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 10, 2012

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Really, all they need to do is sell freeform character slots individually, rather than doing it through a bullshit random raffle. Sure, it'd erode away at what subscribers get, but it'd still only be for a single slot rather than a full alt assortment, it'd make things nicer for the free players, and it'd make for a convenient shot of income even if it were priced around the 2000 CP area like the ships in STO.

But that'd take Cryptic having some business sense, so hey.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is a reason no MMO's are successfully lasting more than a few months as a payed model before they switch to F2P. It just isn't an economically viable model. And trying to do a F2P game but tying up the best feature behind the subscription fee is crazy dumb.

Both STO and CO are dramatically more profitable in their current incarnation, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. F2P isn't the rats leaving a ship you think it is, it's just a model that works for stuff that has to live in the shadow of WOW.

And tying up the best feature behind the subsciption fee is genius. Playing those poo poo ATs is a grocery-store sample. Yes it's possible to just stand there and keep eating the free sausage fragments, and maybe you're just enough of a dumb rear end in a top hat to think you've got the system beat, but you don't. You're not getting full and you look like a douchebag. Grocery stores know those people exist. It's not viable to come up with a filter that deters dumbfucks, but they account for so little loss in the face of all the money they make off the other patrons that it's irrelevant. This is because people who can afford a hot dog are buying a package and taking it home after having tried it and established that it is to their liking.

I agree they should be selling the freeform slots. They should price the gently caress out of it though, probably around 2k. They don't have any other meaningful carrots right now and server storage isn't free.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's funny how everywhere else you go, people are saying that ATs are more than enough and freeform isn't an attractive enough reason to subscribe.

Here though, it's a major screw-up that doomed the game to be worse than City of Heroes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

theironjef posted:

Both STO and CO are dramatically more profitable in their current incarnation, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. F2P isn't the rats leaving a ship you think it is, it's just a model that works for stuff that has to live in the shadow of WOW.

And tying up the best feature behind the subsciption fee is genius. Playing those poo poo ATs is a grocery-store sample. Yes it's possible to just stand there and keep eating the free sausage fragments, and maybe you're just enough of a dumb rear end in a top hat to think you've got the system beat, but you don't. You're not getting full and you look like a douchebag. Grocery stores know those people exist. It's not viable to come up with a filter that deters dumbfucks, but they account for so little loss in the face of all the money they make off the other patrons that it's irrelevant. This is because people who can afford a hot dog are buying a package and taking it home after having tried it and established that it is to their liking.

It's dumb because there no way to purchase it piecemeal. You either have to rent the game for 15 bucks a month (I don't rent games) or you have to spend TWO HUNDRED NINETY NINE UNITED STATES DOLLARS to have a lifetime subscription. The later is of course something only a crazy person would do.

theironjef posted:

I agree they should be selling the freeform slots. They should price the gently caress out of it though, probably around 2k. They don't have any other meaningful carrots right now and server storage isn't free.

A fixed price would be reasonable. I don't gamble with odds I cannot know so I just won't spend any money on a grab bag at all as things are.

Aphrodite posted:

It's funny how everywhere else you go, people are saying that ATs are more than enough and freeform isn't an attractive enough reason to subscribe.

Here though, it's a major screw-up that doomed the game to be worse than City of Heroes.

Well, you know... both of those can be consistent with one and other.... FF isn't an attractive enough reason to subscribe, it's sure as hell not worth 15 bucks for a month knowing you loose it at the end of the month, but I'd pay 15 bucks for a guaranteed FF slot.

That, of course, means they are missing out on 15 dollars from me, and I assume many others. Making it a major screw up.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 10, 2012

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

quote:

And trying to do a F2P game but tying up the best feature behind the subscription fee is crazy dumb.
Maybe i'm misunderstanding this sentence, but this logic is loving mind boggling to me.

So it's somehow less profitable, and worse to give someone partial access to a game and dangle goodies in front of them, than to exclude them entirely? Why the hell would you even subscribe if they gave you everything for free right when you start playing?

I guess you didn't see Champions Online before it went F2P. So you don't understand that the game is much more successful than it was then. Cryptic does not "do" new content at all. They seem to have a severe aversion, if not an actual allergy to it. STO only rarely gets new content, and it's often never anything to do with filling out the end game. Typically it's only received with the end of a season update, if we even get any then.

Champions has not received new end game content since a month or two after it was released. Those adventure packs don't count, because they did jack all to fill out content for someone who had reached the cap. They're the equivalent of the pre STF revamp content in STO, where once you run an instance once and get all of the unlocks, you have no reason to do it again. They've only recently started to produce the framework for proper end game content, with this last major update.

Before it went F2P, there were at most 20 people on in Millenium City at prime-time. MC is essentially the hub zone of the game as the map currently stands now, so that should say how bad it was.

The method they have now is really good. LOTRO, STO, DCUO and just about every other game that's gone F2P agrees. There's much more money to be made in letting people play the game for free, than offering them cheap cosmetic crap to try and get them to spend money.

Hell, DCUO is pulling in insane numbers and cash, last I checked, and went F2P awhile ago. They put a lot of desirable stuff behind pay fees, or sub fees. They were hitting full servers at 2AM in the morning, and somehow SOE has become a paragon of virtue when it came to handling the F2P aspect of the game. They've repeatedly pretty much shamed Cryptic when it came to handling their game in comparison to theirs. Like offering lockboxes to be opened for free forever, if you have a sub.

Which, aside from the fact that whoever is running DCUO seems to understand that you need to have something to do in the game aside from wank off to the character builder, is probably part of the reason why so many people are playing it, instead of CO.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 10, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barely having a costume creator probably helps in that regard too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Archonex posted:

Maybe i'm misunderstanding this sentence, but this logic is loving mind boggling to me.

So it's somehow less profitable, and worse to give someone partial access to a game and dangle goodies in front of them, than to exclude them entirely? Why the hell would you even subscribe if they gave you everything for free right when you start playing?

I guess you didn't see Champions Online before it went F2P. So you don't understand that the game is much more successful than it was then. Cryptic does not "do" new content at all. They seem to have a severe aversion, if not an actual allergy to it. STO only rarely gets new content, and it's often never anything to do with filling out the end game. Typically it's only received with the end of a season update, if we even get any then.

Champions has not received new end game content since a month or two after it was released. Those adventure packs don't count, because they did jack all to fill out content for someone who had reached the cap. They're the equivalent of the pre STF revamp content in STO, where once you run an instance once and get all of the unlocks, you have no reason to do it again. They've only recently started to produce the framework for proper end game content, with this last major update.

Before it went F2P, there were at most 20 people on in Millenium City at prime-time. MC is essentially the hub zone of the game as the map currently stands now, so that should say how bad it was.

The method they have now is really good. LOTRO, STO, DCUO and just about every other game that's gone F2P agrees. There's much more money to be made in letting people play the game for free, than offering them cheap cosmetic crap to try and get them to spend money.

I'm not asking for everything for free. I'm saying I don't like subscriptions. I'd pay 15 dollars for a Free Form slot, but they don't give me the opportunity to give them the money. I have to either spend 300 dollars or rent the character slots, which doesn't jive with me.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
So before I decide to come back to Champions now that a lot of things have changed/improved/etc I need to know.

Id there anyone to play with once in awhile? If there isn't a general goon pool I know I'll go nuts wading through the horrible horrible players that are standard in a MMO.

I was tempted to go back to City of heroes because of the people there now but I'd rather come back here if I can.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Smuggins posted:

So before I decide to come back to Champions now that a lot of things have changed/improved/etc I need to know.

Id there anyone to play with once in awhile? If there isn't a general goon pool I know I'll go nuts wading through the horrible horrible players that are standard in a MMO.

I was tempted to go back to City of heroes because of the people there now but I'd rather come back here if I can.

Depends on the time of the day. There are usually people on around primetime, though a bunch of them never speak.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Depends on the time of the day. There are usually people on around primetime, though a bunch of them never speak.

I might be guilty in this regard. :shobon: Just shout out and I might tag along for something in the bizarre hours of the day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, I mean the people who I've seen around often enough that their names are familiar, but just never say anything.

You wouldn't even know they're on unless you're using XMPP and seeing the list.

Some of you probably read this thread too. You don't have to be afraid to speak. It's a small community, people will probably be friendly unless you're that moron who couldn't beat Black Talon.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Alright, I'll bite! In as Murphy's Law, will be pestering you guys in the channel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Random tip because it just came up in chat:

The Sci-fi Device bracer (From Retro Sci-Fi) is your friend if you're making a Gadgeteering character. Put it on the left. The animation for several Gadget powers involves typing on your left wrist, like Support Drones and Orbital Cannon.

You can also use the new Tactical Missiles power to make it look like a launcher pops out of your fancy wrist computer.

Plus if you use one of the forearm raising blocks (Like Energy Shield) instead of a projection one (Like Darkness or Force blocks) it looks like it comes out of your bracer.

The Holo bracer/Omnitool from the recent Power Armor costume pack makes a great higher tech version too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Finally, after trying every day since the bag came out, I have gotten a freeform slot!

...Holy poo poo how do I even make this thing, where do I start. Te only main driving force I have is that I'm pretty sure I want to make some kind of damage dealer, that isn't knocked around by the slightest whack like my Grimoire and Scourge. In any other game that'd do a pretty good job of narrowing things down, but here it's just 'okay yeah, but what do you -really- want'.

I'm kind of looking at Heavy Weapon but I'm not really sold on it, and even if I was I'm pretty sure there's room in there for another set of some kind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heavy Weapon dodge build. Be a badass swordsman.

Who are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I am @Cleretic, I am not in the channel and am only vaguely aware that there is one.