Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

I saw them wrapped up at least 4-5 times during the space of two weeks or so.

I wonder if she didn't use the lay box because they were all slugs?

That could very well be the case. I wouldn't write off the male as infertile yet though if I were you, although, if it were me, I'd try to find another male and use the old one as a back-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Big Centipede posted:

First clutches are often duds in my experience, and the second bad clutch could be a fluke. If she's ignoring the laying box, try stripping her cage bare except for the box when she's about to lay.

I appreciate this advice and will try this. My female trans-pecos rat ignored her egg box too with her first clutch last year. They were all slugs too. I just paired the two up this weekend. Knock on wood.

I haven't bred milks before, but just paired up 2 of my scarlet kings. This should be an adventure.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bobbaganoosh posted:

I appreciate this advice and will try this. My female trans-pecos rat ignored her egg box too with her first clutch last year. They were all slugs too. I just paired the two up this weekend. Knock on wood.

I haven't bred milks before, but just paired up 2 of my scarlet kings. This should be an adventure.

CB scarlets would be awesome.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
So, night before last, I had a knock on the door at about 10:30pm. Someone driving by had seen a snake under my car and felt the need to tell me there was a snake.

Going out there to look, I expected to find MAYBE a ratsnake or just some sort of grass snake - what was there instead was a six foot long red/black/orange banded milksnake, probably a Honduran.

It's an absolutely beautiful snake, and not at all native, so the wife isn't against me keeping it, which is great, because it really is awesome looking.

My question is how big of a enclosure do I need? Searching results in saying things like 30 gallon tanks, which seem awfully small, considering this is a huge snake (much bigger than what you'd think by milksnake). My question is if the general internet stuff I'm seeing is correct, or would I be much better served finding something/building something much bigger?

Had some snake experience before with smaller snakes - corns, rosy boas, ball pythons, but nothing quite this large.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Since I didn't have pictures earlier: here's one for scale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

cstine posted:

Keep in mind, I am 5'11".

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

cstine posted:

That is a nice-looking milk. I'm thinking Honduran (or Pueblan judging by the head sock? I am unsure of Pueblans get that big, though)

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Hood Ornament posted:

That is a nice-looking milk. I'm thinking Honduran (or Pueblan judging by the head sock? I am unsure of Pueblans get that big, though)

I'm no expert, but from the internet searches I've done, she looks more like a Honduran.

(and I'm just guessing she's a she, because she's ginormous).

Crab Ran fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 4, 2012

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

cstine posted:

That's a big ol' Honduran you got there. I'd set her up in a 40gal breeder, or maybe larger if possible.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Big Centipede posted:

That's a big ol' Honduran you got there. I'd set her up in a 40gal breeder, or maybe larger if possible.

What'd you call me?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Question regarding ant poison.

So the loving ants have decided to invade my mouse room. This is a problem since, not only do I keep pet small mammals like Dexter the guinea pig there, but all my feeder mice are in this room.

I can't find where the ants are getting in at but I suspect it is from the front yar and up through the baseboards. Today I cleaned the entire room with a ton of vinegar and vacuuming, and now I need to find a way to kill any fuckers left over.

All I can find that is safe and isn't direct poison is DE, Diatomaceous Earth. I know there's food quality grade that is fine for humans to eat, but is it safe if the dust gets on the mice or in their food? I'd rather have ants than dead snakes.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Cowslips Warren posted:

So the loving ants have decided to invade my mouse room. This is a problem since, not only do I keep pet small mammals like Dexter the guinea pig there, but all my feeder mice are in this room.

I can't find where the ants are getting in at but I suspect it is from the front yar and up through the baseboards. Today I cleaned the entire room with a ton of vinegar and vacuuming, and now I need to find a way to kill any fuckers left over.

All I can find that is safe and isn't direct poison is DE, Diatomaceous Earth. I know there's food quality grade that is fine for humans to eat, but is it safe if the dust gets on the mice or in their food? I'd rather have ants than dead snakes.

I swear by corn starch. It's non-toxic to our pets and kills ants. Ants will take it back to their holes and queens and share it with the rest and poison the whole colony. In a few days the ants will be gone.

Apparently they can't digest it. Whatever its magic, it was a champ in ridding our kitchen of them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, now to find corn starch!

I'm worried about one of my female Kenyan sand boas; she had 11 babies last year (the year before she was on a break and the year before that she had 12 babies) and since then she hasn't seemed as into eating or as large prey. Rather than adult mice she goes after several fuzzies or hoppers. She's also started acting strange, mainly by letting her lower half flip upside-down and just chills. She still hides, no breathing problems, but she might take up to a month off eating. Is this all because it's kinda breeding season now and she and all the others are taking a year or two off?

Terminally Ill
Sep 26, 2007

No! Stop touching yourself!
The only herp we have in our little mix of pets (though we're preparing for a california kingsnake at the end of the summer) is our African Sideneck turtle, Da Vinci:

This is in the raised up basking side to her old tank setup from a few years ago. Definitely need to take new photos of the new one! She's got so much personality for a turtle and genuinely enjoys being out and handled, which really shocked me. She loves for people to come up to her tank and will usually stop whatever she's doing to interact with you or at the very least acknowledge you. I'll throw up some photos of her current tank setup at some point soon.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Holy crap, look at its face! :3: That turtle is just adorable!

I also just measured Waffle. He's 12 and a half inches. For a baby, he is pretty easy going. I just have to watch him like a hawk when I take him out of the tank since my dog obsesses about him. Even my dad, who isn't a big fan of reptiles, likes him which I'm glad for. My sister's crestie is also cute but she can't take it out very often because 90% of the time, it will poo poo on you.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 6, 2012

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Cowslips Warren posted:

You could try ant gel that was recommended in the chat thread. I bought it based on the posts in there and used it right outside my backdoor to kill the horde of tiny black ants that had invaded my kitchen and literally 36 hours later, I haven't seen a single ant. I just put more out to catch any scragglers, but it appears to be pretty drat effective. There aren't even any more ants outside!

It only takes a little bit applied to where you think they're coming in for them to swarm it and take the gel back to the nest, so it should be mouse safe unless they have direct access to where you apply it.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So I did a thing today. :3:

Baby albino Blood Python! :neckbeard: He is so pretty, the pic does him no justice at all, but he's gotta settle in and start eating for me before I can do a real photo shoot. I think he needs to gain a little weight too-does he seem just a smidge skinny for a blood? What do you guys think?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

spixxor posted:

So I did a thing today. :3:

Baby albino Blood Python! :neckbeard: He is so pretty, the pic does him no justice at all, but he's gotta settle in and start eating for me before I can do a real photo shoot. I think he needs to gain a little weight too-does he seem just a smidge skinny for a blood? What do you guys think?

Beautiful blood, man. I would ask how its temperment is, but I can probably guess :)

It doesn't look skinny to me, but its hard to tell with bloods.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cstine posted:

for scale.

:haw:

I got the stupidest smile on my face when I scrolled down the photo and saw the cat touching the snake with his/her nose. :3:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Beautiful blood, man. I would ask how its temperment is, but I can probably guess :)

It doesn't look skinny to me, but its hard to tell with bloods.

He's actually not bad, a little flighty, but he hasn't tried to bite yet. Unlike the other three I handled, who all seemed to take personal offense at my very existence. Day spent dodging baby snake bites = best day. :3:

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
My skink has been doing so much better! He has really calmed down and he seems quite content to just chill out. He has stopped huffing and hissing when I am moving things around in the cage and poking my hands near his hide areas.

It's very interesting to see his behavior change after getting better care. The old owner insisted he hated live food, and I have managed to feed him a snail and some nightcrawlers, all eaten with gusto. He seems to really like time outside to explore as well, and now that this room is lizard-proof I'm trying to do it most days.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So, I have a corn snake, Lily. I've had her for about 18 months or so, from when she was just a little baby. Lately, in the last two weeks or so, she's been very active, constantly trying to climb up the walls of her tank - it's a 20 Gallon, with locking lid. I'm just concerned that something's wrong and she's trying to get away from it. :ohdear:

I recently cleaned her tank out, with just plain hot water, and changed her bedding. She seems healthy, other than this constant climb up to the roof and fall down thing she's doing. Is this normal? Should I be worried? She has a couple of hides that she uses, and I do monitor the temperature of her cage as well.

Am I worried over nothing?

Side note: I have 3 cats, but in general they're not allowed in my room. I'll get a picture up once I find my camera's card reader, as well.

Edit: "She" might also be a "He" - I never bothered to have her sexed, and as I don't plan to breed, it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. :v:

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 8, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joker somehow still manages to do that dumb poo poo along the inner rim of his tank and he's like 4 years old now. :3: She's probably fine.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I have a nearly 2 year old ball python who has always picked around 10 to 11pm to test the integrity of the tank screen. I think it's just something to do.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Try adding something in the cage for it to climb. In the wild, cornsnakes often climb up into trees to hunt. About 20% of the time I see corns in the wild they're climbing something.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Hello herpies!

I am quite new to reptiles, but I've gone tadpole hunting this year and I now have 11 pacific chorus frogs-to-be in a sterilite tub on the back deck. I am planning on keeping a couple of them in a bigass aquarium that my mother in law is bringing up to our place this weekend. When I say aquarium, that was its original use, but for my pacific chorus frogs it will be mostly land with with a swimming pool for my froglets. I've read up on fruit fly cultures and my husband is familiar with feeding crickets, and they seem pretty happy in their outdoor tub so far. I like to take my morning coffee outside and watch them tool around. They seem to be getting quite social, and will hang out in groups of three or four.

Here are some pictures, taken with a macro lens and a wine glass. These fellas are TINY. They will be about half an inch long when they morph.

Most of the pics where I can see their mouths look like this

But apparently this one's a bit cheeky

This weekend we are also gaining a painted turtle (I know there are eastern and western ones and I can't remember which he is). His name is Leo, and my husband found him 25 years ago when he was tiny.He's been living with my mother in law for a while, but now that our place is all sorted we're getting custody! He's pretty friendly for a reptile. He enjoys feeder goldfish and sleeping of top of the router at the mother in law's house.

e: riddled with typos

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
If you're planning on releasing some of those frogs, look up your local chytrid regulations. Most tadpoles taken into captivity are at risk for contracting chytrid, (a deadly fungus exterminating frog populations worldwide) and they'll spread it to the native population if you release them.

So probably start thinking about getting more aquariums and housing all 11 of your tads, unless your local regulations allow you to release.

Also heads up! Tadpoles aren't 'social' and they will nip and harass others away from food. Them grouping up together isn't necessarily a good thing. You need to separate them out into smaller groups if you notice any deaths or significantly smaller tads, but you could just let them bully each other until the strongest survive; that's pretty much how it happens in the wild.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 9, 2012

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

That's a very good point. I couldn't find anything online for BC, other than a few school pages about releasing their class projects, but I will call the local council on Monday to see if I can find out more.

I haven't seen any nipping. Mostly they hang out about an inch or so from each other. It mostly happens on the sunny edge of the tub, so maybe that's just where the best algae is or something. They are all similar in size and development, but I will keep a close eye out for any frog bullying going on. they do have plenty of hide space, there's a big cinderblock in the middle, and I've put oyster shells from my garden along the bottom (they have been in the weather for a year, they are not fresh ocean shells), which have plenty of crevices and crannies.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Just some pics

some more because I'm bored

What's left of a male Tapinauchenius gigas once the female was done with him

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 10, 2012

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
My girlfriend's Leopard Gecko just pooped a biggish amount of blood out with its latest poop - he's shedding at the moment but seemed in good health until today. There's some locust bits in the poop from last time he ate 2 days ago, which was a kind of big locust. His tummy looks normal and he doesn't seem overly lethargic. He's about a year and a half old and big with a healthy tail. We're waiting for the vet to open to call up, but could any of you reassure us that he'll be okay? :ohdear:

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Blood in the stool does not always indicate something terrible--sometimes it's just a little irritation of the GI tract as the poop exits, and the lining is very vascular and many tiny bleeders can look like a lot of blood. It can definitely be something more serious, though, so I'm glad you're calling the vet. With reptiles the cloaca collects material from the GI, urinary, and reproductive tracts, so it is possible for the blood to come from different places.

If you have the poop still I would save it and bring it in, and take a picture of it if there's blood or other liquid pooled around it that you can't scoop up easily.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Thanks for the response - he's pooped a small amount of blood two more times, both with no solid urate but a lot of clear liquid. The second had a large poop sized thing that looks a bit like a blood clot. Sadly it seems London is pretty barren for reptile vets, let alone emergency ones. The earliest appointment we've been able to get is Tuesday.
Anyone have any idea what the clear liquid could be?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Is there anything I might have sitting around the house that I can use to be a sort of buffer between the heating pad and my blood? He keeps burying himself in the substrate and sitting right on the glass on top of it, and I'm worried that it's too hot.

Or do I need to go to Petco and get some drat cage carpet for this little pain in the rear end?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

spixxor posted:

Is there anything I might have sitting around the house that I can use to be a sort of buffer between the heating pad and my blood? He keeps burying himself in the substrate and sitting right on the glass on top of it, and I'm worried that it's too hot.

Or do I need to go to Petco and get some drat cage carpet for this little pain in the rear end?

I once used an old book.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had two African Dwarf Frogs that I euthanized today by freezing them. Had them for three years after getting one of those awful Brookstone Frog-O-Spheres and relocating them to a nicer tank.

The one had started to get cloudy eyes, so I started treating their tank with Maroxy a few days ago, and today both frogs were on their backs at the bottom of the tank, but still alive. Did a water change, that didn't help. Also tried isolating them in a hospital container for a few hours, but they still weren't right. Knew that if they lost their equilibrium, they couldn't surface to breathe, so I did what I had to do.

Question - I disposed of them after freezing. Is there any possibility of them thawing out and suffering further, or is it only wood frogs that can stay dormant in freezing temperatures?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I know freezing isnt a humane way of euthanizing at all for reptiles, that..probably applies to frogs too? I dunno :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, freezing isn't a particularly nice way for ADFs to go in my experience. It takes'em out, but it can take a while and it's like freezing to death for any other amphibian. Clove oil helps a little, but I don't think it's perfect with amphibians.

Insane as it sounds, I'd have probably taken them outside and decapitated or crushed their heads after I froze (or even before). There's just not a really good way to end them that isn't kind of.. cruel sounding.

I'm sorry you lost the little guys. :(

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm sorry you lost the little guys. :(

Thank you :(

Yeah, other forums I was reading said to put them in a bag and stomp them, and I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All right, I found two MORE slugs in my female milk snake cage. She seems to be going into a shed mode now, so I really hope this is normal. My corns were so much easier than this.

On another note, my female hognose has my mom worried because any time you go near her cage, it's hiss, puff, and strike at anything that moves near the glass. Even taking her out to feed her requires a tiny snake hook. I hope she calms down because otherwise it'll be my mom wanting her gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

All right, I found two MORE slugs in my female milk snake cage. She seems to be going into a shed mode now, so I really hope this is normal. My corns were so much easier than this.

On another note, my female hognose has my mom worried because any time you go near her cage, it's hiss, puff, and strike at anything that moves near the glass. Even taking her out to feed her requires a tiny snake hook. I hope she calms down because otherwise it'll be my mom wanting her gone.

I've had a Western hoggie go through the same mood shift before. Lasted about 2 years, then she calmed down.

• Locked thread