Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Dead State got plugged twice in a row on RPS, and is up $46,500ish in their first 24 hours. Pretty impressive, I wonder how much they'll shatter their goal by.

I also plugged them to all of my backers lastnight in an update. Their goal is pretty high though, hope they make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dead State got plugged twice in a row on RPS, and is up $46,500ish in their first 24 hours. Pretty impressive, I wonder how much they'll shatter their goal by.

It's really great that RPS isn't being hypocritical douchebags about not providing any coverage for KS projects.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Quarex posted:

I was going to talk about how cool Cult looked, and then I saw Scalding Coffee's link. Wow. The MaKey MaKey seems like the modern equivalent of the chemistry set, in the good way.

Back both and then play Cult using a variety of fruits and vegetables.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Occupation posted:

It's really great that RPS isn't being hypocritical douchebags about not providing any coverage for KS projects.

I thought they said that they wouldn't provide coverage for KS projects they didn't want to cover. Which is perfectly fine, and Rebulique made it anyway I thought.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr E posted:

I thought they said that they wouldn't provide coverage for KS projects they didn't want to cover. Which is perfectly fine, and Rebulique made it anyway I thought.

Republique made it primarily because of RPS' endless cheerleading for it. It was dead in the water until RPS made it their personal mission to cover it relentlessly, in direct violation of their previously stated "no coverage of kickstarters" policy.

A bunch of people complained in this thread until it was pointed out it was a one time thing and never was going to happen again, at least until we've had two articles in a day about the same kickstarter.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I've never heard of that policy but whatever, it's pretty irrelevant. The RPS guy was on NPR last week and all he said was that his only obligation was to his readers and not to say "go support this interesting thing" but instead to say "hey this is interesting." It's his site and his audience, he can do whatever the hell he wants. He doesn't owe a bunch of disparate independent projects equal amounts of coverage.

Frankly you just continue to come off like you just want more things to fail because you hate the model or think this is all some conspiracy drawn up by Brian Fargo or something.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joylabs/makey-makey-an-invention-kit-for-everyone?ref=discover_pop
You can play games with your food, cat, anything. You clip on objects to act as the input. It is fully funded.

A premade ready-to-use modular input system is a great way to introduce people to Arduino; let them play with a finished project instead of starting from scratch.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Is there an easy way to unsubscribe from kickstarter updates? I really don't give a poo poo about whatever nonsense thing the Tex Murphy guys are doing and don't see the need for 4+ emails in a day from them.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Tufty posted:

Everybody should check out this sandbox/RPG roguelike thing with the most fantastic world generation and most beautiful ASCII graphics I've ever seen. It's called Cult. I found out about it a couple of years ago while browsing the Bay12 forums for some reason and then pretty much forgot about it. I decided to google it today and bloody hell he started a kickstarter today or yesterday! It looks fantastic and I'm gonna give him $10 :3:

I backed and he sent me a nice thank you :3:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Lord Yod posted:

Is there an easy way to unsubscribe from kickstarter updates? I really don't give a poo poo about whatever nonsense thing the Tex Murphy guys are doing and don't see the need for 4+ emails in a day from them.
Edit your settings. On the Notification tab, you can deselect notifications from each project you support.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I've never heard of that policy but whatever, it's pretty irrelevant. The RPS guy was on NPR last week and all he said was that his only obligation was to his readers and not to say "go support this interesting thing" but instead to say "hey this is interesting." It's his site and his audience, he can do whatever the hell he wants. He doesn't owe a bunch of disparate independent projects equal amounts of coverage.

Frankly you just continue to come off like you just want more things to fail because you hate the model or think this is all some conspiracy drawn up by Brian Fargo or something.

I'm pretty sure what they said was mostly in passing because they were getting hundreds of Kickstarters thrown at them for every little thing and a bunch of people were completely misrepresenting their intent.

Occupation posted:

Republique made it primarily because of RPS' endless cheerleading for it. It was dead in the water until RPS made it their personal mission to cover it relentlessly, in direct violation of their previously stated "no coverage of kickstarters" policy.

A bunch of people complained in this thread until it was pointed out it was a one time thing and never was going to happen again, at least until we've had two articles in a day about the same kickstarter.

And how does three articles count as "endless cheerleading"?

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 7, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Welp they've been making a consistent $2k per hour for their first 24 hours, so that's pretty good. I'm sure it will taper off than surge again towards the end, but they're in a pretty good position to make a lot more than their goal if they properly motivate stretch goals, etc.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Occupation posted:

Ah, I was mistaken. I was thinking of some other website that didn't support Republique, not sure who though.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Occupation posted:

RPS has been covering Dead State for a long time and it was on their "most anticipated" list way back before KickStarter was even thinking about getting big. They love the guy who is making it because of the previous work he has done. RPS's inconsistency about what they will or won't do with KickStarters has been a little weird, but also understandable considering the insane KickStarter surge of late. It would be silly for a game journo site to blanket-ignore KickStarter, but it also makes sense to be careful about perpetuating an unsustainable bubble. Either way, their coverage of Dead State is pretty understandable given their history with the game and its creator.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 7, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Toucharcade I guess, there was a bit of drama about it posted in the ipod thread.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Edit your settings. On the Notification tab, you can deselect notifications from each project you support.

Thanks.

Just took a look through the list of video games kickstarters. Holy poo poo there are some terrible things in there.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Tufty posted:

Everybody should check out this sandbox/RPG roguelike thing with the most fantastic world generation and most beautiful ASCII graphics I've ever seen. It's called Cult. I found out about it a couple of years ago while browsing the Bay12 forums for some reason and then pretty much forgot about it. I decided to google it today and bloody hell he started a kickstarter today or yesterday! It looks fantastic and I'm gonna give him $10 :3:

Damnit, I need to not open this thread anymore, I can feel the money being sucked out of my wallet everyday as it vanishes into the black hole that is Kickstarter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tex Murphy is hitting it big with the magnificent 7 thing. They got like 30.000 over the last couple of hours.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
My bad for starting the RPS debate up again.

Dead State has been featured on RPS multiple times before they had a kickstart, and they also have a large fan base to draw on. I'm sure the extra "go give them money now" posts on RPS didn't hurt them, but honestly I think this project was pretty much a lock to get at least 100% funded no matter what, even with a fairly high goal.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What the gently caress are you talking about. I've been a fan and fervent follower of KS for years. I'm just pissed that RPS has been disingenuous assholes about what their role is re: Kickstarter coverage, like literally every gaming "news outlet" ever.

And I didn't even loving bring up Fargo, what the hell are you talking about.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 7, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr E posted:

Ah, I was mistaken. I was thinking of some other website that didn't support Republique, not sure who though.

Something Awful? I can't remember a single person here wanting to support that shady project.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

octoroon posted:

RPS has been covering Dead State for a long time and it was on their "most anticipated" list way back before KickStarter was even thinking about getting big. They love the guy who is making it because of the previous work he has done. RPS's inconsistency about what they will or won't do with KickStarters has been a little weird, but also understandable considering the insane KickStarter surge of late. It would be silly for a game journo site to blanket-ignore KickStarter, but it also makes sense to be careful about perpetuating an unsustainable bubble. Either way, their coverage of Dead State is pretty understandable given their history with the game and its creator.

Fine, but either they should provide coverage of all gaming KSes (I'm not even arguing for equal coverage; just any coverage at all), barring ones that are scams/illegal in some way, or none of them. It's not like they have the scarcity of news inches that plagues traditional news media.

Basically there's no reason to not keep their readership as informed as possible. Plus, it brings into question their obvious editorial bias (as seen with Republique).

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 7, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Occupation posted:

Fine, but either they should provide coverage of all gaming KSes (I'm not even arguing for equal coverage; just any coverage at all), barring ones that are scams/illegal in some way, or none of them. It's not like they have the scarcity of news inches that plagues traditional news media.

Basically there's no reason to not keep their readership as informed as possible. Plus, it brings into question their obvious editorial bias (as seen with Republique).

Have you been checking out their new weekend column where they give all the "not insanely popular" KickStarters that they like a paragraph or two of coverage? Because they've been doing that for a few weeks now. Or is that not what you're talking about?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

octoroon posted:

Have you been checking out their new weekend column where they give all the "not insanely popular" KickStarters that they like a paragraph or two of coverage? Because they've been doing that for a few weeks now.

Fair enough. I stopped giving a poo poo about RPS when they pulled that Republique nonsense, but if they've rolled back their asinine policy re: KS coverage that's good on them I guess.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Occupation posted:

Fair enough. I stopped giving a poo poo about RPS when they pulled that Republique nonsense, but if they've rolled back their asinine policy re: KS coverage that's good on them I guess.

Yeah I don't mean to start poo poo or whatever but next time maybe don't get so upset about a journo's policies if you aren't even very informed about what they're doing of late. :doh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Occupation posted:

Why should they cover all of them? :psyduck: We get it, you hate RPS, but what the gently caress. They should cover just whatever the hell they want to...

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

lordfrikk posted:

Why should they cover all of them? :psyduck: We get it, you hate RPS, but what the gently caress. They should cover just whatever the hell they want to...

I figure they should cover whatever they think their readership might want to know about.
God knows I don't want to read 90 posts for the lovely kick-starters out there, and instead I'd like to see the ones that are producing something good and have a good chance of actually completing production of their product.
(I think a lot of kick-starter supporters really have no idea how many games just fail to make it out the door for various reasons)

Plus they should cover any kick-starters I have, mainly because I'm hypocritical like that.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
They should cover whatever kickstarters they consider notable. Maybe they're not doing that as well as you'd like, but do you realize you're basically suggesting that they should be more like kotaku?
Nothing should be more like kotaku, ever.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
RPS covering a Kickstarter is a significant thing, too, right? Like, didn't that first article give Kinetic Void a pretty significant boost? I imagine the only reason getting your Kickstarter covered by them means anything is simply because they only cover things that they're interested in and want to succeed, and if they started covering every project on Kickstarter, it would quickly become pretty meaningless to everyone reading.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

Tex Murphy is hitting it big with the magnificent 7 thing. They got like 30.000 over the last couple of hours.

Yes! I hope the goal is reached. I don't care when. I just want it to happen. :f5h::aaa::arghfist:

Lord Yod posted:

I completely and unironically really love those updates :colbert:

But then I would, wouldn't I?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ema Nymton posted:

Yes! I hope the goal is reached. I don't care when. I just want it to happen. :f5h::aaa::arghfist:

And, after 5,000 backers, they hit it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

obliriovrons posted:

RPS covering a Kickstarter is a significant thing, too, right? Like, didn't that first article give Kinetic Void a pretty significant boost? I imagine the only reason getting your Kickstarter covered by them means anything is simply because they only cover things that they're interested in and want to succeed, and if they started covering every project on Kickstarter, it would quickly become pretty meaningless to everyone reading.

The thing is while it's RPS can give a project a boost I don't think their coverage really makes or breaks a project. KV only got an extra 4 grand out of the total 60 they needed to raise and it only increased the rate of donations after that very slightly. Word Realms was covered by them around the same time and it has unfortunately stalled out completely at about 50%. If Word Realms fails where KV succeeded I would think it has a lot more to do with Sean and Co. personally pushing and selling their product everywhere they could, whereas the WR guys don't seem to be doing much self-promotion.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

macnbc posted:

And, after 5,000 backers, they hit it.

:toot::toot::toot:

The past couple of weeks were ridiculously slow so I started to lose hope. That certainly blew up in less than a day.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Cidrick posted:

The past couple of weeks were ridiculously slow so I started to lose hope. That certainly blew up in less than a day.

I wasn't concerned. They still have a week to go, and most kickstarters pick up significantly in their last few days. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up in the 550-600k range.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Al! posted:

The thing is while it's RPS can give a project a boost I don't think their coverage really makes or breaks a project. KV only got an extra 4 grand out of the total 60 they needed to raise and it only increased the rate of donations after that very slightly. Word Realms was covered by them around the same time and it has unfortunately stalled out completely at about 50%. If Word Realms fails where KV succeeded I would think it has a lot more to do with Sean and Co. personally pushing and selling their product everywhere they could, whereas the WR guys don't seem to be doing much self-promotion.

Where did you get the 4k number? It's difficult to tell whether RPS has a huge impact or not, but so far coverage on RPS has been the precursor to heavier coverage elsewhere. With Kinetic Void, where they took off shortly after RPS covered them which could be attributed to RPS or Reddit, and last minute pushes, but who knows if the Reddit campaign would have taken off if RPS hadn't covered them just before? The same has held true for a few other projects where RPS gave them a full article and shortly afterwards other places picked up on it. It could be that RPS was meaningless, or it could be that coverage on RPS helps ballon other efforts or encourage other sites to cover the project as well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

nessin posted:

Where did you get the 4k number? It's difficult to tell whether RPS has a huge impact or not, but so far coverage on RPS has been the precursor to heavier coverage elsewhere. With Kinetic Void, where they took off shortly after RPS covered them which could be attributed to RPS or Reddit, and last minute pushes, but who knows if the Reddit campaign would have taken off if RPS hadn't covered them just before? The same has held true for a few other projects where RPS gave them a full article and shortly afterwards other places picked up on it. It could be that RPS was meaningless, or it could be that coverage on RPS helps ballon other efforts or encourage other sites to cover the project as well.

If you check out their graph on Kicktraq you will see that on the day they got an article they raised 4k but then dropped back down to about 1k per day. Also I don't recall seeing it covered on other places that regularly pick up stories from RPS, like Giant Bomb. The last couple of days were where the huge gap and about 20% of the money was raised. Reddit and Total Biscuit are honestly probably mostly responsible for the project's success, but Reddit was on board long before RPS and the creators were repping it pretty heavily on there themselves.

I don't think that it's approprite to get mad at RPS for being kingmakers just because people are attributing Rock Paper Shotgun with all this power they probably don't actually have.

edit: also if you look at the kicktraq for Word Realms and compare it from the RPS story they only got a 1k boost that seemed to last for a couple of days before dwindling away. In fact it looks like they get more money just by mentioning their game on their podcasts than they did from RPS.

Al! fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 7, 2012

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Cidrick posted:

I am so relieved. And happy! :nyan: But mostly relieved.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Except, of course, that RPS wasn't saying "hey this is interesting" but was outright begging readers to donate to Republique, which is part of what people are bitching about.

(The other parts being that they did this immediately after saying they wouldn't, and that it's loving Republique, aka the shadiest thing on Kickstarter that isn't immediately and obviously a take-the-money-and-run scam.)

Their support for Dead State is less surprising since they've been hardcore fans since it was announced and it's already had several articles on RPS - indeed, RPS is how I originally found out about it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Except, of course, that RPS wasn't saying "hey this is interesting" but was outright begging readers to donate to Republique, which is part of what people are bitching about.

(The other parts being that they did this immediately after saying they wouldn't, and that it's loving Republique, aka the shadiest thing on Kickstarter that isn't immediately and obviously a take-the-money-and-run scam.)

Their support for Dead State is less surprising since they've been hardcore fans since it was announced and it's already had several articles on RPS - indeed, RPS is how I originally found out about it.

Except, of course, you totally never actually read their stance on Kickstarters when they made it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/the-kickstarter-dilemma/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nessin posted:

Except, of course, you totally never actually read their stance on Kickstarters when they made it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/the-kickstarter-dilemma/

That's not really "a stance" so much as "a collection of musings followed by a call for the community to tell them what their stance should be", but it does carry the implications that (a) they will post about Kickstarters because they find them interesting, not because people want them to, but (b) they will stop short of outright begging their readership for money, simply telling people about the kickstarter and letting them make up their own minds. Their coverage of Republique failed hard on the latter.

The fact that they covered Republique in the first place isn't really objectionable except in a "holy poo poo these guys have terrible taste and/or judgement" way - it was far from the first Kickstarter they posted about in glowing terms. It's ending posts about it with a picture of a kitten tearfully begging the readers to find it in their hearts (and wallets) to fund this special snowflake of a game that sticks in people's craws.