Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Valdara posted:

Will that gently caress up my enameled dutch oven, or is that a CYA clause in the paperwork? I'm super paranoid about screwing up my wedding stuff. My fiancee already burned rice to the bottom of one of my all-clad pans and then stuck it in the dishwasher. Even after scrubbing, there is still a patina with little rice shapes in it inside.

Enamel is fired at a much higher temperature than what you would be searing at. Your biggest risk at that temp is probably cooling it down too quickly when you add liquid, which could cause the coating to craze. But I've never had a problem with mine. But I don't know what the paperwork that came with it said, I didn't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Not if it's a good one. Also why are you registering for cookware you're afraid to use properly.

And lol at fiance's all clad fail. Not too late to sever...

I'm not afraid to use it properly, I'm afraid of using it IMproperly. I'm a-learnin'. I love cooking, but I've always been relegated to other people's cast-offs or what I could scrounge. Every time I got something nice a roommate would ruin it, more than once before I ever got a chance to use it myself. Asking them not to use my stuff didn't work, and sometimes even HIDING IT didn't.

Finally I don't have roommates anymore besides the SO, so I am using 90% of my registry for nice kitchen ware so I can finally cook on quality equipment. But there will be a learning curve. Once school is out I will have the time to start playing in the kitchen a whole lot more and get less paranoid. I've mostly cooked in non-stick skillets, so I am SUPER excited about using my new stainless pots and pan. I can put together one hell of a meal out of a 10" Ikea skillet and a pyrex baking dish, but it will be nice to have the right tool for the job.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

While we're on the topic, is there a basic video tutorial that's goon-approved for cooking in a stainless steel pan? Now that I don't have to deal with my dad*/brother ruining pans, I bought myself one with some birthday money.

* my dad, despite his degree in materials engineering with a focus on metallurgy, never realizes how easy it is to ruin a cheap pan. Or even a decent one, sometimes. Fortunately, he was easy to hide things from.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm not sure if this has been covered before, as I'm not really a GWS regular, but does anyone have suggestions for food that's easy to make in large amounts? For example, sometimes I make like 30 bean and rice burritos and just live off it for a week. I'm a bachelor and I don't really like cooking. Any ideas?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Maillard reaction or no, this braised chicken with vegetables is awesome. I love the taste of vegetables with nothing besides a little salt and pepper. I also miss cooking with spices since the Great Purge when we moved a month ago. I plan to make a Penzey's run in the next few weeks, since they have a location in Menlo Park.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BuckarooBanzai posted:

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, as I'm not really a GWS regular, but does anyone have suggestions for food that's easy to make in large amounts? For example, sometimes I make like 30 bean and rice burritos and just live off it for a week. I'm a bachelor and I don't really like cooking. Any ideas?

Chili, pulled pork, no-knead bread, country ribs, various soups and stews. Most anything that's cooked low and slow can be done in huge batches while you do something else.

For example: Chili is pretty much just meat, peppers and broth cooked over low heat for hours with little maintenance. Get a big cheap hunk of meat, maybe 1/4 its weight in peppers, a head of garlic and enough broth to cover. Cut the meat into cubes, brown them, cut up the peppers and dump everything in a big pot over low heat, stirring every 30-60 minutes to keep things from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Or you can take some country ribs, oil them and salt them then brush with your favorite barbecue sauce thinned out with worchestershire sauce or cider vinegar. Cover a pan with foil (you'll never get it clean if you don't) and toss in a low oven ~225 degrees. Leave them the hell alone for ~90 minutes then turn them over and brush on more sauce. Keep doing this every hour or so til done.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 7, 2012

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

While we're on the topic, is there a basic video tutorial that's goon-approved for cooking in a stainless steel pan? Now that I don't have to deal with my dad*/brother ruining pans, I bought myself one with some birthday money.

* my dad, despite his degree in materials engineering with a focus on metallurgy, never realizes how easy it is to ruin a cheap pan. Or even a decent one, sometimes. Fortunately, he was easy to hide things from.

Yeah I know you asked for a video/tutorial, but this is just from my experience. The main rule for most of the stuff I put in stainless is that it needs either oil or water to cook properly. Trying to cook things without a reasonable amount of a cooking medium is just asking for trouble. Get the pan hot, add in oil (enough that it will cover the bottom), then put your stuff you want to cook in. There are exceptions for some meats (bacon should render out its own fat).

That said, the #1 rule of stainless pans are that they are not nonstick pans. If you cook eggs in them, they'll probably turn out messy. Be careful of anything starchy, like potatoes, they like to stick and burn too. This is also the best advantage, since you can brown things really well in a SS pan, like meats and onions. This helps develop a good flavor for the dish.

And if you mess up your pan too much, just cook something acidic in it, like tomato sauce. Valdara mentioned a rice patina developing on a pan. I have that happen to me a lot, but if I just cook some tomato in it it tends to just disappear.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Valdara posted:

My fiancee already burned rice to the bottom of one of my all-clad pans and then stuck it in the dishwasher. Even after scrubbing, there is still a patina with little rice shapes in it inside.
Easily fixed, though a patina like that wouldn't bother me in the slightest. This is cookware, not a Ferrari.

dad.
Apr 25, 2010

poop device posted:

I may be sounding dumb here, but do all bread products benefit equally from that same flour/malt ratio? Are there no circumstances where a bread might be a better bread with a different ratio?

In those instances, where additional malt is needed, it's usually used to make up for massive amounts of spent sugar when you start to use excessive preferment. The extended autolyse looks to be catching on in the professional baking world since it requires no special malt scaling and makes a gorgeous loaf, but that has it's own over digestion problems too.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

...beertalk...
Anyway, hope this helps.

:hfive: Hooray for beer!

Here are some tasty brews: Session lager from Full Sail in the red stubby bottle. A lovely dark beer is Spaten Optimator. Sam Adams Cream Stout is super tasty. Best of all it's summer and time to have fun with dessert beers like Framboise Lambic from Lindeman's.

Naturally, the best beer is whatever you don't have to pay for. Hooray for beer drinking friends.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CuddleChunks posted:

:hfive: Hooray for beer!

Here are some tasty brews: Session lager from Full Sail in the red stubby bottle.

It's also super cheap! Cheaper than Bud/Miller/Coors cheap! Everyone should drink Session!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's also super cheap! Cheaper than Bud/Miller/Coors cheap! Everyone should drink Session!

Yeah, +1 for session lager and session black. They are great everyday beers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CuddleChunks posted:

Framboise Lambic from Lindeman's.

I'm curious, what's this cost other places in the world? In Virginia it's ~$20 for a 4-pack which drops it off my fun list in the face of affordable fruity wheatbeers.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm making tofu this weekend. Does anyone have any tips or things to watch out for when for making it?
Don't be sad when you end up with a tiny amount. :( Like paneer, a good fair bit of the soy milk is going to net you not very much tofu. It's OK. The store bought stuff doesn't let you put stuff into the mix itself to make flavoured tofus. Use that to your advantage.

Cheesecloth is your friend. The first time I made a batch, I tried using just a strainer. That was disappointing.

Don't add the nigari until the boiled soymilk has had a chance to sit off the boil for about 30 seconds or so. I personally find that the liquid nigari you can find at the Japanese store gives me better results, but your mileage may vary. Whatever you do, make sure you're not adding straight powdered nigari to the boiled soy milk. It's best to actually dissolve the nigari in hot water first, then add the mixture to the hot stuff.

Don't try to decant the stuff when you see the whole thing curdle. It'll end up in pain and tears.

@Spliz: Lambics tend to /cost/, so I'd say get it when you can and enjoy it, eh?

+1 for Session Lager. They're great at making tasty beer.

dino. fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 7, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

I'm curious, what's this cost other places in the world? In Virginia it's ~$20 for a 4-pack which drops it off my fun list in the face of affordable fruity wheatbeers.

Just shy of 10bux a 750ml in California. There are better lambics and sours out there though. Check out Duchesse de Bourgogne, framboise de amorosa, cable car, rr sanctificaton, ommegeddon, and bam biere

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 7, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

dino. posted:

@Spliz: Lambics tend to /cost/, so I'd say get it when you can and enjoy it, eh?

Oh, I've had them and love them, but my rich friend who bought it by the case moved away. :v:

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Blackberry Wheat will get me by for now. Gotta save some pennies at the moment while I get my homebrewing operation in order. :dance:

e: and Son of a Peach, and ciders. Mmm, why am I at work right now?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

dino. posted:

Don't be sad when you end up with a tiny amount. :( Like paneer, a good fair bit of the soy milk is going to net you not very much tofu. It's OK. The store bought stuff doesn't let you put stuff into the mix itself to make flavoured tofus. Use that to your advantage.

Cheesecloth is your friend. The first time I made a batch, I tried using just a strainer. That was disappointing.

Don't add the nigari until the boiled soymilk has had a chance to sit off the boil for about 30 seconds or so. I personally find that the liquid nigari you can find at the Japanese store gives me better results, but your mileage may vary. Whatever you do, make sure you're not adding straight powdered nigari to the boiled soy milk. It's best to actually dissolve the nigari in hot water first, then add the mixture to the hot stuff.

Don't try to decant the stuff when you see the whole thing curdle. It'll end up in pain and tears.

+1 for Session Lager. They're great at making tasty beer.
Thanks for the advice (and mich too!). I decided to make it last night and for one cups of soybeans probably ended up with enough tofu to be a part of a full meal for two. That's respectable, and it's super delicious (well, the tofu skin was, and a little bit I nibbled was quite deliciously beany). It was also a lot easier than I thought it would be; I ended up using gypsum, because the Asian markets near me are extremely hit or miss for this kind of stuff (fact: it took me two months to find Sichuan peppercorns, because my favorite grocer was out and neglected to order them for a long-rear end time, and the others just don't carry them at all).

I can't see homemade tofu supplanting store-bought tofu (I probably eat more tofu than many vegetarians...), but I can definitely see making it frequently, especially once I get a proper loving mold. I used an old tofu container and punched holes in the bottom, and jury-rigged a lid...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can't see homemade tofu supplanting store-bought tofu (I probably eat more tofu than many vegetarians...), but I can definitely see making it frequently, especially once I get a proper loving mold. I used an old tofu container and punched holes in the bottom, and jury-rigged a lid...
If you're not married to the block shape, you could very well just do it like you would do paneer, which is to just hang it in a cheesecloth until it solidifies. Its own weight will press it down into its thing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugh. I'm in an absolute rut with dinners. Any good tips for breaking out of a rut? It's like the cooking side of my brain just ripped itself off and took a dive off a cliff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Go to the grocery store and purchase a cut or type of meat you're unfamiliar with. Do the same with veggies. Then come back home and hit the internet for ideas.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ugh. I'm in an absolute rut with dinners. Any good tips for breaking out of a rut? It's like the cooking side of my brain just ripped itself off and took a dive off a cliff.
Randomize the poo poo:
http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

I think I just found my new favorite site.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm on a bean or lentil and rice diet for a bit still (yay moving to a new more expensive city), fortunately with the occasional splurge of chicken thighs, and I'm getting a little sick of the flavor. I switched things up for a bit using bacon (diced two strips and mix it in with the peas and beans/lentils) which worked wonders for a bit. I've tried adding cumin or chinese five spice, but now I'm getting a little tired of those flavors. Any recommendations on seasonings that work well with beans?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Go to the grocery store and purchase a cut or type of meat you're unfamiliar with. Do the same with veggies. Then come back home and hit the internet for ideas.

I did this a couple of times, but it just didn't wanna break me of it. I also tried closing my eyes and pointing my finger at a shelf in the asian section a few times and running with that and :saddowns:

On the other hand, I cooked beef heart and I've never done that before and it smelled awesome.

Hell, why not. Thanks to both of you guys.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
On a technical level, what classifies something as an herb or a spice? Are herbs just the leafy greens and spices anything else?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

About :tenbux: here in North Idaho. This is at my local grocery store, I don't know if the two specialty stores in town have it for cheaper.

I'm glad to see more Session love. Even better, the bottle caps have little rock/paper/scissor icons underneath so you can play the game with your friends while drinking. Want to decide who buys the next half-rack? Crack a beer!

Prada - http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2003/8-22-2003/herbsnspices.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

"You won't not make some loving..." is my favorite intro so far

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

PRADA SLUT posted:

On a technical level, what classifies something as an herb or a spice? Are herbs just the leafy greens and spices anything else?
anything leafy is an herb. For instance, cilantro is an herb, but its seed, coriander, is a spice.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

dad. posted:

In those instances, where additional malt is needed, it's usually used to make up for massive amounts of spent sugar when you start to use excessive preferment. The extended autolyse looks to be catching on in the professional baking world since it requires no special malt scaling and makes a gorgeous loaf, but that has it's own over digestion problems too.

you have been enormously helpful and given me several things to think about, Thank you!

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008
I need to bring a salad tomorrow to a lunch. Got a bunch of extra carnitas from tacos. Would this work in a taco salad? What would you put in said salad?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Besides feta, what are some good cheeses to put on just generic side salads? I've gotten my allergy under control, so I can have a little bit. Plus, I'm trying to teach Mr. Lullabee that healthy food can be just as good as fast food (he's a fast food junkie), so any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Edit: what the gently caress tablet, you hate me.

Lots of cheese is good on salad. Crumbled chèvre, which is a little milder than feta. Thinly shaved parmesan or pecorino romano. Grated colby or cheddar, even. And I like to put small cubes of pepper jack on mine from time to time. Fresh mozzarella (especially awesome if you put really good tomatoes on your salads).

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 7, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Lullabee posted:

Besides feta, what are some good cheeses to put on just generic side salads? I've gotten my allergy under control, so I can have a little bit. Plus, I'm trying to teach Mr. Lullabee that healthy food can be just as good as fast food (he's a fast food junkie), so any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

I like Gorgonzola.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

dino. posted:

If you're not married to the block shape, you could very well just do it like you would do paneer, which is to just hang it in a cheesecloth until it solidifies. Its own weight will press it down into its thing.
That's good to know, thanks.

And I turned it into mapo tofu tonight. Didn't have any meat in the house, so I'm sure dino. would appreciate the real-food veganness of my dinner (I had dry-fried eggplants on the side, so it was a vegan Sichuanese dinner).

:stare:

So loving good.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I need some budget stretching help. Can gws help me make this last for 9 days?

Meat:
4x frozen chicken breasts
3lb chicken thigh quarters
2x lb sliced bacon
1 lb bacon ends
3 frozen ribeyes
1lb seafood medley
1lb ham steak
Whole bunch of eggs

Starches:
Large bag brown rice
1lb spaghetti
oatmeal
Grits
Flour (I'm pretty good at bread or pizza crusts)
Potatoes
Dried peas
Lentils

Veggies:
3x artichokes
Carrots celery
Kale
1x red onion
6x green onion
1lb carrots
Cilantro
Tomato x6

Also got a bunch of strawberries and raspberries from the CSA box. Will get another one on Wednesday.

Help me feed my little family through the end of next week?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How many meals/day we talking about here? Also is this literally all you have (like do you have tons of spices, anything liquid like milk or something?) What about butter/oils?

Anyway:
* Use the tomatoes to make some tomato sauce and use the tomato sauce on the spaghetti (this sounds like an adventure game). You can add in some of the bacon for flavor (you've got 2 lbs, so I'd say don't be shy with the bacon, that will help you stretch meals I guess).
* Save all the scraps for some sort of stock. Carrot peels, crappy outer sections of onion, celery ends, meat trimmings, stems of cilantro, pretty much everything. Save the meal using stock towards the end so you can just throw everything in there.
* If you have tons of spices, make a dal type of thing with the lentils and serve it with rice. Depending on how much of each, Rice & beans will keep you fed for a while. They both bulk up a lot, and with spices aren't too boring.
* Use the ham with the dried peas for a pea soup type of thing. Use some of the bacon as well with that. Serve with rice or some starch.
* Roast the chicken thigh quarters, save the bones & skins. Eat with taters.
* Make a stock out of the leftover bones & vegetable trimmings
* Choose one:
-Chicken stew (chicken + stock + carrots + potato + homemade noodles)
-Beef stew (beef + stock + carrots + potato + homemade noodles)
* Serve artichokes with homemade bread. Probably just a lunch type of thing I guess?
* Cook the oatmeal with the fruit.
* Eat grits with bacon
* Fry a lot of eggs and serve with bacon and bread.
* Save all of your bacon fat and make biscuits with it or something.
* Bake a lot of bread

There's got to be a good use for tons of bacon fat, I have a feeling you'll be rolling in it after a while.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Lullabee posted:

I love Myzithra cheese on salad. Grate it nice and fine and it's lovely.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I guess this question doesn't really follow the standards of this thread, but here we go anyway: might people be interested in a mushroom-themed cooking thread? There're tons of mushrooms in the world and I think it'd be really interesting to hear about mushroom-based foodstuffs in other countries etc. Also it might be useful to those who don't dare to pick mushrooms in fear of picking some poisonous ones. there could even be a short catalogue of common mushrooms in the op and all.

(I haven't posted threads on SA so I felt like asking if one's needed before making it. Does this make me a good person? :shobon:)

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I've been looking and looking for mutton suet here around Washington D.C., and I cannot find any that doesn't include birdseed already mixed in. In order to keep with the spirit of the dish, beef suet would be the next best I think, but how much would that alter the flavor of the food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hempuli posted:

I guess this question doesn't really follow the standards of this thread, but here we go anyway: might people be interested in a mushroom-themed cooking thread? There're tons of mushrooms in the world and I think it'd be really interesting to hear about mushroom-based foodstuffs in other countries etc. Also it might be useful to those who don't dare to pick mushrooms in fear of picking some poisonous ones. there could even be a short catalogue of common mushrooms in the op and all.

(I haven't posted threads on SA so I felt like asking if one's needed before making it. Does this make me a good person? :shobon:)

Post it. If it sucks we'll poo poo on it and shun you. But hey, maybe it will be a good thread. :kimchi: