Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
Well, I just broke the screen on my 2nd Kindle 3. I buy them off craigslist so I doublt amazon is gonna help me. I was thinking about buying another, used, cheaper version and swaping the screens. Are all the e-ink, non-touch screens compatible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sixdeadpandas posted:

Well, I just broke the screen on my 2nd Kindle 3. I buy them off craigslist so I doublt amazon is gonna help me. I was thinking about buying another, used, cheaper version and swaping the screens. Are all the e-ink, non-touch screens compatible?

If it's within the 1-yr warranty, I'd call up Amazon anyway. They shouldn't care where you got it, wether it's craigslist or Staples. They might send you a refurb on the cheep.

Worth a call, even if you aren't sure about the warranty. That's what I'd do.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks, I'll definitely try that for both of them. A refurb is prefferable to a shady craigslist encounter. I am still curious about the screen compatibility though. From what I've read, even the nook uses an identical screen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone tried an iRiver Story HD? No wireless connectivity, but they look pretty nice and the price isn't bad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If I use http://delivereads.com/ @free.kindle.com with a 3G Kindle it will only download over WiFi and thus never charge me for downloading over 3G right?

big scary monsters posted:

Anyone tried an iRiver Story HD? No wireless connectivity, but they look pretty nice and the price isn't bad.
It doesn't sound so great from reviews, slightly higher dpi screen notwithstanding...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/19/iriver-story-hd-review/
http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-readers/iriver-story-hd/4505-3508_7-34850148.html
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/ereaders/iriver-story-hd.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXWKOoy20Rs

The big issues being the higher dpi not really being noticable and the poor wifi reception and the annoyance of having to go into the settings everytime you want to read sideloaded books. On the other hand it's now only $85 at Overstock.com which makes it comparable to the $80 basic Kindle with offers.

At least it's nice someone is making a Google Books reader.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Cardboard Box A posted:

If I use http://delivereads.com/ @free.kindle.com with a 3G Kindle it will only download over WiFi and thus never charge me for downloading over 3G right?

That's my understanding of it. Alternatively, you can download the official Send to Kindle app for your desktop, and that gives you a choice to send over Wifi or 3G, and Wifi on that is for sure free.

It's pretty handy, since all you have to do is right-click the file you want to send to your Kindle.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
So, the screen on my Kindle 3 broke as in cracked with lines and mirror effects all over the place, and of course I'm 3 months out of the warranty period, so I need to buy a new Kindle right away.

Are there any differences in sturdiness between the regular Kindle, the Touch and the Keyboard (old Kindle 3)?

I always read in bed and tend to fall asleep in the middle of reading. This means that I either wake up with my head mashed to the screen (probably what broke the old one) or it ends up on the floor.
Are there any covers worth buying that could help protect the Kindle in situations like these?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The Keyboard case is pretty sturdy, I dropped mine all the time and it was fine until somebody stepped on it (do not step on your Kindle Keyboard). It does weigh more than the Kindle itself which may or may not bother you.

I replaced my Keyboard with a regular Kindle and haven't noticed any difference in sturdiness. The screen is a hell of a lot nicer though, I'd recommend it or the Touch over the Keyboard.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

So, the screen on my Kindle 3 broke as in cracked with lines and mirror effects all over the place, and of course I'm 3 months out of the warranty period, so I need to buy a new Kindle right away.

Are there any differences in sturdiness between the regular Kindle, the Touch and the Keyboard (old Kindle 3)?

I always read in bed and tend to fall asleep in the middle of reading. This means that I either wake up with my head mashed to the screen (probably what broke the old one) or it ends up on the floor.
Are there any covers worth buying that could help protect the Kindle in situations like these?

Before you go out and buy a new one call Amazon. They overnighted my replacement device for an out of warranty device.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

welcome posted:

I replaced my Keyboard with a regular Kindle and haven't noticed any difference in sturdiness. The screen is a hell of a lot nicer though, I'd recommend it or the Touch over the Keyboard.

I'm pretty sure the screen in all 3 of those models is identical.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chippy posted:

I'm pretty sure the screen in all 3 of those models is identical.

It is, in fact, the same identical panel on the Kindle 3/Keyboard, the Kindle "4" which is the one without keyboard or touch, and the Kindle Touch. Same is true for the Nook Touch, Kobo Touch and Sony PRS-T1. They are all e-ink "Pearl" with the following specifications:
Reflective electrophoretic E Ink Pearl Imaging Film
Colors: Black, White, Grayscale
Resolution: 600x800 at 6 inches
Minimum Contrast Ratio: 10:1
Minimum White State: 70
Maximum Dark State: 24
Bit Depth: 4-bit gray, 16 levels
Minimum Reflectivity: 40.7%
Viewing Angle: Nearly 180°
Update Modes: Page-at-once, Menu-on-screen, "Pen" sectional update, Slow Animation
Switching voltage: +/- 15 volts
Service Life: 50,000 hours (About 5 years 8 months)

IIRC the only currently sold ereaders without this same display, are the iRiver Story HD which is otherwise an identical Pearl display, but with the higher resolution of 768x1024 on the same 6 inches; and the Kindle DX second generation, which has an otherwise identical Pearl display but it is 9.7 inches (much bigger) and the resolution on it is 824x1200.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Weird, holding them side by side the print looked a lot sharper on the 4 but I may have been imagining things.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Odds are good that's a software thing. For example, text looks a lot crisper in Moon+ on a rooted Nook Touch than it ever did in the stock reader.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmmm. I've got a Keyboard but when I had a play around with the newer models in a shop the other day I didn't notice any difference. Admittedly I wasn't doing a side by side comparison but since I use mine every day I would have expected any noticeable difference to jump out at me.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
I just broke my second Kindle Keyboard 3G last week. I was able to exchange one of the broken ones for an out-of-warranty replacement. It cost $85 and was shipped via 2-day service. I was surprised they gave me the option, since I bought it on Craigslist for $40.

I'm getting the extended warranty this time. I usually avoid them like the plague, but buying 3 kindles in as many months is ridiculous.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The Squaretrade warranty (I dunno if that's a UK only thing or what, though) is a really good deal. £25 for 3 years. Can't say fairer than that, really.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I ended up buying the new regular Kindle. It was a no-go for getting the broken one replaced and since I'm in Denmark, they apparently don't offer refurbished versions.

It should arrive next week and I'm really looking forward to it, as I have been reading regular paperbacks, and wow does that feel strange after over a year of eInk display.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

What (if any) ereaders support DJVU and are any of them good? I have a large collection of text books on my computer that I would love to have on something more portable and easier to read and take notes from.

Should I just invest in a tablet?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Duraznos posted:

What (if any) ereaders support DJVU and are any of them good? I have a large collection of text books on my computer that I would love to have on something more portable and easier to read and take notes from.

Well, there's this new model that has DJVU support. Don't know how it practically works, tho'.

EDIT: Actually all the Wexler book E-models support DJVU. Allegedly.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 2, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Duraznos posted:

Should I just invest in a tablet?

If they are textbooks with lots of charts, pictures, etc. formatted at a page size of more than 6". You'd probably be best getting yourself a tablet. Should be able to find a pdf viewing app (like this one) that supports djvu as well.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 4, 2012

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Apparently the Kindle Touch 3G (with special offers of course) is $109 at Wal-Mart (in stores only) this week, which is a whopping $40 off!

http://slickdeals.net/f/4691550-Kindle-Touch-3G-109-at-Walmart-B-M-possible-84-at-Staples-with-PM-and-coupon

Anyone know why/how it's so cheap? Is this a special Wal-Mart model with lower specs? My Wal-Mart didn't have any so I wasn't able to check.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cardboard Box A posted:

Apparently the Kindle Touch 3G (with special offers of course) is $109 at Wal-Mart (in stores only) this week, which is a whopping $40 off!

http://slickdeals.net/f/4691550-Kindle-Touch-3G-109-at-Walmart-B-M-possible-84-at-Staples-with-PM-and-coupon

Anyone know why/how it's so cheap? Is this a special Wal-Mart model with lower specs? My Wal-Mart didn't have any so I wasn't able to check.

It's possible it isn't selling well. No real reason to purchase a Touch 3G over the normal model since they gimped the browser (if I remember right, it can only access the Kindle store and Wiki)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sporadic posted:

It's possible it isn't selling well. No real reason to purchase a Touch 3G over the normal model since they gimped the browser (if I remember right, it can only access the Kindle store and Wiki)

There are reasons, and at that price, why not get the 3G? Browsing on eink is awful.

Books anywhere (sometimes at an airport I don't feel like paying the 8$ or whatever for internet access), and it syncs my page position no matter what so I'm always up to date when I use my iPhone to read occasionally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, I know Target is going to stop selling the Kindle, maybe Walmart is doing the same?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tor is going to open its DRM free store later this summer. Hopefully more will follow suit.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/06/torforge-books-announces-drm-free-e-book-store

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cartoon Man posted:

Tor is going to open its DRM free store later this summer. Hopefully more will follow suit.

Scalzi's "Red Shirts," a book I preordered anyway, is the first, and it's out tomorrow.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cartoon Man posted:

Hasn't Tor always been DRM free?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You're maybe thinking of Baen?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
http://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/nookd.html

quote:

Some weeks ago I decided that I wanted to read Tolstoy's War and Peace. Lou Ann loaned me her copy. At more than 1100 pages, reading it in bed required as much strength as balancing a box of bricks in my hands. In my senior years I have developed arthritis in my thumbs, which made the effort not only difficult, but painful.

I had read about half of the novel when I was given the gift of a Nook, the e-reader from Barnes and Noble. Although I am committed to supporting my neighborhood independent book store (Books to be Red), and enjoying honest-to-goodness books, the .99 Nook edition was so lightweight that it has made reading War and Peace a genuine pleasure. For those of you who have not tackled this tome as yet, it is a page-turner.

As I was reading, I came across this sentence: "It was as if a light had been Nookd in a carved and painted lantern...." Thinking this was simply a glitch in the software, I ignored the intrusive word and continued reading. Some pages later I encountered the rogue word again. With my third encounter I decided to retrieve my hard cover book and find the original (well, the translated) text.

For the sentence above I discovered this genuine translation: "It was as if a light had been kindled in a carved and painted lantern...."

Someone at Barnes and Noble (a twenty year old employee? or maybe the CEO?) had substituted every incidence of "kindled" with "Nookd!"

Amazing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That's hilarious. I actually just picked up War and Peace for the nook, I wonder if it's the same copy.

durty
Jan 28, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

That's hilarious. I actually just picked up War and Peace for the nook, I wonder if it's the same copy.
it will be if it was the $1 copy

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Or more likely that someone at the publisher did a search and replace on the entire book in order to prep the "nook" version for upload.

Hanlon's razor and all.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

UndyingShadow posted:

Or more likely that someone at the publisher did a search and replace on the entire book in order to prep the "nook" version for upload.

This is what happened, accidental "replace all" when changing a couple "For Kindle" entries. In the comments at that link, someone links to a news article about it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Hey, folks, the battery in my first-gen Nook just gave up the ghost, and I'm having trouble looking for a replacement. eBay has been no help, and Amazon doesn't have anything that seems to reliably match the part number (BNRB454261). Are there other options for a replacement?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there any way to buy more than one book at once on the Kobo website? Like a 'cart' option or something? I'm picking up some Discworld books and would really rather buy them all in a single transaction than purchase them one by one.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Hey, folks, the battery in my first-gen Nook just gave up the ghost, and I'm having trouble looking for a replacement. eBay has been no help, and Amazon doesn't have anything that seems to reliably match the part number (BNRB454261). Are there other options for a replacement?

I think this seems to be it? http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-BNRB1530-BNRZ1000-9BS11GTFF10B3-Portable/dp/B005NJB1QK

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay, I guess this is a good place to ask this. Since it covers like 10. Different threads but all related to eraders
I'd really like to use either the fire or nook tablet as a tablet / apps on my phone replacement.
At this point most of my time is spent in front of my phone, not my 8 year old powerbook.
I recently bought my wife a kindle fire , and was thinking about the possibility of asking one or a nook for fathers day.
How well does the nook after being rooted work as a tablet with cm9 ICS on it?
How restricted are the apps on the kindle, especially with sideloading.?
Does it work okay? How easy is it to brick the kindle trying to root it and flash it? (although the lack of physical buttons kind of turns me off in this regard)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

tater_salad posted:

Okay, I guess this is a good place to ask this. Since it covers like 10. Different threads but all related to eraders
I'd really like to use either the fire or nook tablet as a tablet / apps on my phone replacement.
At this point most of my time is spent in front of my phone, not my 8 year old powerbook.
I recently bought my wife a kindle fire , and was thinking about the possibility of asking one or a nook for fathers day.
How well does the nook after being rooted work as a tablet with cm9 ICS on it?
How restricted are the apps on the kindle, especially with sideloading.?
Does it work okay? How easy is it to brick the kindle trying to root it and flash it? (although the lack of physical buttons kind of turns me off in this regard)

I believe the Android rooting thread is the correct place to ask this.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay,
Let me ask this part here.
How well does the fire handle side loaded apps? This is supported in un rooted form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The Barnes & Noble front page says they're having a $20 off sale on Nook Colors and Nook Simple Touches if you use a Mastercard.

Now I have to decide between doing that and using up the remains of a gift card to get a Simple Touch for $17, or going for an e-ink Kindle of some sort. Is either side a clear winner at this point?