Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally upgraded my Dingo's ESC to something with a drag brake. I wanted to get a Holmes hobby package as they're waterproof and highly recommended for crawlers, but they were out of stock. Wound up with the Duratrax DE10 and its little programmer thing. For about $100 all in I'm pretty impressed. The drag brake works great and I adjusted the throttle curve to the softest starts possible so it'll crawl reeeeeally slow. Being able to use the little programmer instead of hooking up to a computer is great as well--the changes I'm making with the crawler aren't all that complicated so breaking out a whole computer seems like a little much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Ezrem posted:

MyLaps has had a couple of sales on 3-packs and 6-packs. They worked out to around 60-some bucks each in the 6-pack sale I got in on. Good deal if you have some friends wanting them or don't mind reselling them. They regularly give a 10% discount for the 6-packs, also, so they work out to around $90/each.

The nice thing about transponders is they are never hard to get rid of, and don't really drop in value even if you do boneheaded things like shorten the wires.

Yeah, i loving hate how expensive they are. When I got into crawling several months ago I (foolishly) sold my PT. Now I need to buy another. AMB/Mylaps must be rolling in money charging $100 for one of the tiny things.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That said, if you have one fail for whatever reason, you can send it back and get a replacement. I had the wire short out on mine a while back and they had a new one to me in time for my next race.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use club transponders. Sure their are big and i have to mount it on the windshield (inside) but its free and helps me make min. weight for my class.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
I could not think of a better place to post this. Custom 1/10 General Lee on a stretched duratrax vendetta chassis I love that it has body roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxBzl5c5rqo

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Laserface posted:

I use club transponders. Sure their are big and i have to mount it on the windshield (inside) but its free and helps me make min. weight for my class.

A few clubs I've raced at don't even offer house transponders. Since I've been on both sides of things (racer, race director) I can completely understand why. They're a huge PITA to deal with... people LOVE to walk off with them, and they're not exactly cheap to replace.

I really need to implement a "leave your keys/license/right shoe" type of deal for house transponders :geno:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Torn Quad Jones posted:

I could not think of a better place to post this. Custom 1/10 General Lee on a stretched duratrax vendetta chassis I love that it has body roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxBzl5c5rqo

That car and video is awesome but his price quote at the end is a little crazy.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

needknees posted:

A few clubs I've raced at don't even offer house transponders. Since I've been on both sides of things (racer, race director) I can completely understand why. They're a huge PITA to deal with... people LOVE to walk off with them, and they're not exactly cheap to replace.

I really need to implement a "leave your keys/license/right shoe" type of deal for house transponders :geno:

And make class transitions take even longer? I think not.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

needknees posted:

im fortunate in that most of the people at my club have their own so there is a full rack of 20 or so to choose from at any given time.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I made some new videos.

Iphone 4s mounted on 1/16 Revo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESn9FEtPsuM

Then Iphone 4s smashed by 1/16 Revo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwOW3oyIyo&feature=youtu.be

and headlights on the Rustler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsrjfhkaVBc

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 24, 2012

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

needknees posted:

We charge $5 to rent one for the day, and during big events we hold keys/phones. One of the (few) nice things about RC Scoring Pro is you can look at the roster to see who had a transponder last, and call them out if it's not on the rack. So far we haven't lost any.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

kuffs posted:

And make class transitions take even longer? I think not.

Like TremorX mentioned it'd be a "you're assigned x house transponder today. Use it for all your heats/mains" type of deal. Take down their info as they sign in, charge/take something of value, hope they're not dumb enough to walk off with the transponder.

TremorX posted:

We charge $5 to rent one for the day, and during big events we hold keys/phones. One of the (few) nice things about RC Scoring Pro is you can look at the roster to see who had a transponder last, and call them out if it's not on the rack. So far we haven't lost any.

Race nights haven't been too big of an issue, it's practice days. I think I'm going to lock them up and if people want to use them, their contact info and transponder # used is being recorded. This poo poo is ridiculous.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Our track has a rack of 8 house transponders, and they are only available on race day only for that very reason.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If someone can walk out with a transponder without anyone noticing, it's clearly not a very good transponder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Might have too much power.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Too much.... or not too much enough?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TremorX posted:

Too much.... or not too much enough?

Much too much. the new engine is nearly 3 times the size of the old, it's basically impossible to go full throttle, and extremely hard to keep in a strait line. Especially when it does this.

I might try to do something with the gearing, or perhaps go to bigger tires, make it a little more useable.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Racing my Slash 2wd tomorrow for the first time. I put 40 weight all around, and then put 1/4" limiters in the front to drop the ride height. After this offroad race, my dirt modified body will be done and it's time for an oval racing summer.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I'm going to go ahead and give myself -10 points. Went flogging the Baja some today and thought I'd get some sweet POV videos with my new GoPro. Well, apparently when you turn it on, if you hol the button for half a second too long it skips video mode and goes into camera mode.

Damnit. :( :arghfist: I'll get some sweet R/C goony vid for you guys. Tried mounting it to the cup racer. It turned out ok. Mounted on the back trunk it will make my Datsun do a wheelie :hehe: and it will also make it hilariously top heavy...resulting in a roll over. I need to get a higher quality memory card anyway, mine doesn't do too well, the video/audio can be better.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So I had my lowered Slash out racing offroad for the first time, and I came in second place against 10 trucks. I was the only Slash (with rtr electronics and front tires), racing all SC10's and Losi SCT's. Not too bad. Once I slap a new set of rubber all around and put a decent motor/esc in it, I'll be just find for my clubs mod SC class this winter. Nice to be able to do oval/offroad in just one truck.

I'm going to be purchasing one of those cheap "HobbyKing" esc's & motor combos, so I'll report back on how they do. A couple guys were running them at the track this weekend, and they performed awesome.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
glad to hear yeah enjoying it, did you get your oval body back yet? looking forward to seeing it. Love that raptor body as well.

needknees: sorry been afk for a few, I already have my heart set on that new Tekno kit.

TremorX: getting used to the 5-5-3 diff setup for the losi, i'm starting to get used to the difference, not sure I like the M2C pistons (using 30wt oil). The truck just don't seem to jump as nice as it used to. Also not sure if its from the the shocks being so soft but one of my front tires got sliced pretty badly. Possible hard landing and the body rubbing the tire? waiting for the replacement to come in the mail.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That setup is a good starting point, now you can go up or down to get something that works better for you. 5-5-3 is a good all-around setup in this truck. 5-7-3 will make it really rock on long straights, while I've found 3-5-2 is awesome with tight turns. 5-5-3 is also good if your jumps don't have a lot of run-up, as it lets you punch it at the face to clear it.

With those same pistons, I've moved from 27.5/30 to 30/32.5 or 35/40. Stiffer will help you launch on jumps, but make the landings squirrelly, thinner vice-versa. My track is really bumpy so those pistons are great for keeping the truck settled down enough to go barreling through where others have to slow it down a bit.

Edit -

Ran my fresh-built Ve8 this weekend and LOVED every second of it. It took me a little while to get used to how different it is from Nitro and how much more power it has than my 4WD SCT. It was extremely competitive during the mains until a pin came out of one of my front driveshafts. I wound up 5th out of 9, but was 2nd for a while and had the lead for a lap or two. 1/8 E-buggy is so freakin' awesome.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 29, 2012

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I've gotten my Tamiya M-05 kit put together and painted, and now it's time for electronics. I was thinking about using Traxxas parts since that is what I'm familiar with. Would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by doing this? Here is a tentative parts list:

Team Orion Rocket Pack 25C 4000 mAh Lipo
Stock Silvercan
Traxxas XL-5 ESC with low voltage cutoff
Traxxas 2075 servo
Traxxas TQi 2.4 GHz transmitter and receiver

I'd love to hear suggestions for better parts to use. I really have no R/C experience beyond my two Slashes.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Aceshighxxx posted:

I've gotten my Tamiya M-05 kit put together and painted, and now it's time for electronics. I was thinking about using Traxxas parts since that is what I'm familiar with. Would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by doing this? Here is a tentative parts list:

Stock Silvercan
Traxxas 2075 servo

I'd love to hear suggestions for better parts to use. I really have no R/C experience beyond my two Slashes.

don't see any problem, is this for stock racing? You are gonna love driving this thing. Check out rc-mini.net for any m05 tips, its what I been using to slowly hopup mine for fun.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

HoWSeR posted:

don't see any problem, is this for stock racing? You are gonna love driving this thing. Check out rc-mini.net for any m05 tips, its what I been using to slowly hopup mine for fun.

Yes, it will be for stock racing. I can't wait to get it running and do some practicing. I just finished the body yesterday:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can anyone provide insight into what goes into an indoor RC track? we get rained out here a lot and it seems like it would make a ton more sense to combine a shop and a track indoors to have weatherproof racing year-round.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
From what I've seen in SoCal and the UK, the cost of the location is the primary factor - maybe 70-80% of the success of the track is on the rental cost. It doesn't matter if the track's been there for ages, or if the space is owned by an owner of the track, rental costs are the deciding factor.

Plus, you've got heating costs in the winter, electric costs in the summer (for AC or fans, etc.), setting up accounts with distributors and actually building the track, whatever it is. If it's nitro, you'll have the fire department and local codes to deal with (for fumes). Stocking and manning the shop can be easy or hard depending on how much money you've got and who you know that's good with people. Finally, you have to get the word out and get people to come and race for the first few weekends - THEN you have to keep them coming (as in, not piss them off because you won't give them a discount on a kit, and not piss them off because you docked them a lap for jumping a barrier in the Mod A Main).

If it sounds like just a list of problems, that's what it is - but luckily some people feel they have the energy to take them all on and just do it :)

If you can get in touch with manufacturers for free/cheap banners, great. If you know some friendly & helpful local racers who are happy to staff the shop a few hours a week for some parts discounts, awesome. If you have an inheritance or a few credit cards bank loan to set everything up, go for it!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aceshighxxx posted:

Stock Silvercan
Traxxas 2075 servo

Make sure the Team Orion pack can fit the M-05 Chassis, since they need the old "stick pack" shaped Lipos.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

From what I've seen in SoCal and the UK, the cost of the location is the primary factor - maybe 70-80% of the success of the track is on the rental cost. It doesn't matter if the track's been there for ages, or if the space is owned by an owner of the track, rental costs are the deciding factor.

Plus, you've got heating costs in the winter, electric costs in the summer (for AC or fans, etc.), setting up accounts with distributors and actually building the track, whatever it is. If it's nitro, you'll have the fire department and local codes to deal with (for fumes). Stocking and manning the shop can be easy or hard depending on how much money you've got and who you know that's good with people. Finally, you have to get the word out and get people to come and race for the first few weekends - THEN you have to keep them coming (as in, not piss them off because you won't give them a discount on a kit, and not piss them off because you docked them a lap for jumping a barrier in the Mod A Main).

If it sounds like just a list of problems, that's what it is - but luckily some people feel they have the energy to take them all on and just do it :)

If you can get in touch with manufacturers for free/cheap banners, great. If you know some friendly & helpful local racers who are happy to staff the shop a few hours a week for some parts discounts, awesome. If you have an inheritance or a few credit cards bank loan to set everything up, go for it!

Cool, Thanks. Its pretty much financial suicide to open a hobby store in Australia since internet shopping with overseas sellers undercut local prices by a significant margin. Local distributors have historically done a really lovely job of supplying parts, which in turn hurts the consumer because when they order parts, the distributor doesnt have it, and wont order it until they get a big order together to make price breaks with the manufacturer.

I figured theres no real way youre going to be able to get the income to pay rent without having a storefront selling parts. I guess you just offer a membership card to the track that includes a small token discount in store and discounted race fees?

The only way I feel it would work as a LHS/track scenario is if you keep a handful of kits in stock that are competitive in the classes you race and then supply parts exclusively for those products (that youve bulk ordered from overseas websites because its still cheaper than local wholesalers).

what about the track side of things? obviously you want a computer of some kind for timing plus the timing system, but I mean like track surface/layout - I guess onroad would be cheapest as you can use the existing floor or lay carpet.

I think you could pull off offroad well but it costs a lot more for the surface (im guessing?) Id love to start a micro offroad club (1:18 scale stuff) but its just not that popular here. I guess it could be a bit of a 'if you build it they will come' though - there is currently no dedicated micro racing club at all.

nitro indoors would be silly, although I guess you could do an exhibition day or something occasionally.

FYI Im not really in a position to build and operate a track - I have no experience with it, but I like to have contingency plans for the day I stumble across a briefcase full of hundred dollar bills :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
(keep in mind I have terrible business skills, have never worked at a hobby shop and everything is just 'IMO')

I don't think a 'build it and they will come' attitude will work for a shop/track. You can't build a mini-Z track and expect monster truck owners and Baja bashers to just set them aside and invest $200 or more into kits and gear for a specialized class. I think you'd have to go with what the local guys are running and try to expand it from there. I've seen a few track locations try to gently force racers into running a new (to them) class and while it may be popular with the guys who already own those cars (think FWD touring car, Minis, 1/18th, whatever you might have on your shelf because you bought thinking 'hey, that's cool'), it may only be popular for a month or so before those guys have to order spares or they get bored. I think this is why lots of smaller clubs have a policy of 'if 5 guys show up with the same car, we will run you guys as a separate class'.

You'll have to pay a license fee for the computer software, get a laptop and the hardware for a timing loop, plus sell the AMB personal transponders and have a few on hand to loan out - with a deposit, because if someone takes it home you're stuffed for $100+.

I wouldn't say you can run on-road on 'any' surface, polished concrete sucks unless you want to do drifting. If you can paint polished concrete with slightly abrasive floor paint then that should be good enough, but the landlord will have to be convinced.

As for parts and kit supply, I've seen too many shops with faded kits sitting in their windows to think that stocking one of every race kit is a good idea - I would definitely offer to order one but as you've said Australia is in a weird area that shops in the US or EU don't have to deal with - anyone can order from Hong Kong or Japan for probably cheaper than getting in Australia, and I don't know the market there at all so I don't know what to suggest.

I think trying a membership fee like what clubs in the UK do is something to try, so members pay a yearly fee but get reduced race fees and a few free hours of practice a week free, while non-members pay full price and have to pay to practice (the trick is, be nice to them and give them good service so they join up as members, and continue to be good to them so they spread the word). Be sure to sell cold and hot drinks and have a microwave and fridge there to sell frozen treats, ready meals and whatever you can to make that extra dolla. Also the most critical spare parts to keep people running, but don't go overboard and stock a full kit's worth of spares, you'll just end up with dead stock.

Also super important is a decent website with up-to-date race schedule, complete listings of race results (so people link to them from forums), pictures of the track and club members, and maybe a small forum - and/or sign up for various forums as yourself and project how good/nice/cool/competent you are so people are encouraged to try out the track.

Locations to check out: rural (but not TOO rural), near an airport (no one cares about noise near an airport), industrial estate (depending on the economy, warehouse space could be cheap).

Getting a bit off-track there but like I said this is sort of a distillation of my dream track combined with what I've seen that works for some other clubs.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Pretty sure I'm going to sell this Revo 3.3 and go electric at this rate. Man, I forgot how much of a finnicky little bastard it is. I just got my suspension fixed and now it's playing up and refusing to start even with a fresh glowplug and full tank. Nitro :argh:

Anyone want a complete Revo 3.3 to trade for a Slash? :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

stuff about RC things

The way I would do it is just stock 1-2 models of each class we run from a few popular brands to minimise your stock, which allows you to keep more parts on hand.

I just looked up on tower - you can order 9 SC10 factory team kits and even with the $400 shipping for those units factored into the individual pricing its still cheaper per unit by $50-70 than prices for the non FT kit. you could essentially sell the FT kit for the same price as the locals retail the base kit and STILL make money on it.

throw in free club membership for all in store purchases of new kits (except to existing users, to promote them paying). membership discounts your club entry, free practice sessions and VIP access of some sort (early ordering of new kits, priority race entry?) that could be perhaps for an additional (small) fee.

most clubs round this part charge membership fees for upkeep of the club, so drivers would be used to it. The only problem you have with it being a business as well is that it will always be disputed where the fees are going, In my opinion anyway.

anyway, its fun to dream :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Just got my body & wrap...looks great! Who knew Slashes made such killer race cars?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Anyone here from Houston? What's the legality of driving one of these around a big field in a park? Assuming there aren't many people around, of course. I'm looking to get back into the R/C game (had a T-Maxx when I was 14), but I live near downtown and don't have many options otherwise.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Anyone here from Houston? What's the legality of driving one of these around a big field in a park? Assuming there aren't many people around, of course. I'm looking to get back into the R/C game (had a T-Maxx when I was 14), but I live near downtown and don't have many options otherwise.

Im not in the US but some parks in my area specifically have signs saying no RC planes. sometimes also an RC truck picture.

its pretty much a regional thing, sometimes on a per-park basis.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm in Wisconsin, which I realize is not Texas, but I've never seen or heard about anyone getting hassled for R/C. As long as you arent trespassing on private property, causing damage to public land, or creating a noise disturbance, I cant see why the local authorities would care.

Cops drive by our local public skate park all the time, and have never stopped me from running my slash on it.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I usually practice in school parking lots, and the few times cops have driven by, they've either ignored me or stopped and watched. Obviously it's gonna vary on where you are.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I thought I heard a slightly unusual sound my last run but chalked it up to paranoia.

Turns out a tiny pebble worked its way past the skid plate and did this to my drive shaft:

I think I suck at this hobby :(

Sure is fun though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm sure there's a name for that, like 'the shaft drive blues' - but don't worry about it. It looks ugly but imagine if that was a belt drive (unprotected)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Ha, congrats on your driveshaft "free weight relief/lathe job"! My old rock crawler had a driveshaft that looked like it was chewed up by a vicious dog.

I just my dirt modified Slash body in yesterday and mounted to my car. I painted the beadlocks gold and added some more sponsor decals. Looks sick! I had a blast with it at the track last night, although I'm about a 1/2 second off on my laptimes.

Dirt oval is so much fun. I'll be racing on a big "World of Outlaws" type oval in a couple weeks, and I'll take a bunch of pics and video. That track has been getting upwards of 40 Slash-modified cars on a saturday night, so I want to get the bugs worked out at my local short track before making the trip.