Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

auruspex posted:

I didn't realize I was asking for you to critique my riding/speed in a parking lot I know and have rode in daily for the past 3 years. Maybe I misread the thread but I thought the focus was the crash which, again, to clarify, had nothing to do with my speed.

I've been riding for 3 months and I can tell you are riding like a dong in a parking lot. Maybe you should take the MSF again.

I've driven my neighborhood and local parking lots for the last 10 years in cars. I know they are full of loving idiots and children so I putt along. I don't ride down the middle of the road to avoid going over the speed bumps. I also tend to stop at stop signs.

If you've read the thread at all most people post some sort of self analysis of what they did wrong and could have done to prevent the accident. You didn't. Sorry we weren't all "stupid loving cagers bro" Take your lumps and learn something from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'd like to reinforce the distinction between who is at fault in a crash and whether or not the crash was avoidable. Big difference. When you're watching the youtubes after the fact, you can point fingers about the fault, but when you're on the bike, you have to focus on the avoidable.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Edit: shouldn't post right when I get up.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 5, 2012

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Man I wrote a blow by blow on an accident tonight and safari crashed and died.

Basically I hit a dog mid corner in lovely weather, it was low speed (40km/hr) and me and the bike are fine but the dog got hit mid spine ( I saw the dog he froze, than I hit him) and he died about 5min after the crash. I've come of one my bike before and had no issue getting the bike back up but this time I had a lot of trouble, not due to injury just because I felt so bad for the dog and was probably in a bit of shock. Fortunately a passerby helped me out.

The dog had no tag and the cops just said not to worry about it as long as he's off the road.

I was wearing full gear and have a fair amount of weather experience, but holy poo poo I feel bad for the dog :smith:

I'm pretty happy with my riding in regards to the accident, it was mid corner and I was going low speed due to wet windy weather. I just registered 'dog!' then my front wheel met his spine, definitely pissed at the owners though, poor little guy.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Glad you're ok, sad the dog isn't :( what kind of dog was it?

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Sort of a fox sized terrier mutt. Seemed well groomed, he was opening his eyes a little after but wasn't making any noise. Not a mark on the little guy though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cage driver checking in with CA. mootmoot got in a wreck and someone was banned for being a dick. At least I can rely on some things not changing.

Does anyone have a link to auruspex's video? It's not fair to post it, then take away the joy of critique for the rest of us.

VVV Thanks. Yup, that's a lot like the entitled pricks around here that roll through stop signs... In too much of a hurry to pay attention to the rules that they expect everyone _else_ to follow.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 5, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDFS_zB_z88

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I also reposted it on the previous page to be a cool guy but I don't know how to embed :(

Really sad about the dog, having hit an animal I know the emotional distress it causes, I'm really sorry man. Glad you're okay though, that's a relief.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sewersider posted:

s wearing full gear and have a fair amount of weather experience, but holy poo poo I feel bad for the dog :smith:

First let me say I am very glad you are ok.

While I feel bad for the dog, I'd rather you be alive then, it.

Sorry, but I am glad you are ok. It sucks when stupid poo poo like that happens.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

First let me say I am very glad you are ok.

While I feel bad for the dog, I'd rather you be alive then, it.

Sorry, but I am glad you are ok. It sucks when stupid poo poo like that happens.

I don't know, that dog was an excellent poster . . .

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

auruspex posted:

I didn't realize I was asking for you to critique my riding/speed in a parking lot I know and have rode in daily for the past 3 years. Maybe I misread the thread but I thought the focus was the crash which, again, to clarify, had nothing to do with my speed.

How does one "know" a parking lot? Is it like France recognizing Seychelles?

If you truly believe speed wasn't a factor, logic dictates that you won't modify it in the future given the same circumstances. I suspect you will. Personally, I'd rather be in sideways rain with a big rig bearing down on me than than attempt to navigate a Sam's Club parking lot on a Saturday. At least with the former, there's only one assassin involved and I know exactly where he is. When I have to ride through a parking lot, known or unknown, it barely qualifies as coasting. You can't even bank on taillights being operational, let alone visible.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're late to the party Marv, we got him already.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I would have preferred more drama and gnashing of teeth prior to the banning.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Just watched the video and I'm gonna go against the grain and say that that driver is 100% at fault and incompetent. He drives straight into auruspex on his own drivers side without even noticing. That's some inattentive, irresponsible poo poo.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

aventari posted:

Just watched the video and I'm gonna go against the grain and say that that driver is 100% at fault and incompetent. He drives straight into auruspex on his own drivers side without even noticing. That's some inattentive, irresponsible poo poo.
I'm going to duck in here and agree.
Auruspex's speedometer is visible and (mostly) readable in the video, and for the majority of the time he's doing what I'd call 'reasonable, if not exactly prudent' parking lot speeds. He hits 30 for one speedometer update cycle, for the majority of the time, his speed is much lower (22-25 mph), and his forward visibility and positioning are pretty reasonable to avoid a car that starts backing out, unless that car fairly well leaps out of the space like a cat on some catnip - in which case, I don't know that anything would help avoid a collision.
(remember, the vision with your eyes on the bike is way better than the vision on the video replay)

However, in the end, Auruspex's behavior for the 30 seconds prior to impact is fairly well irrelevant to the actual crash - because at the time of the crash he didn't really have unreasonable speed, or super terrible positioning for the turn. Jumping on his poo poo feels a lot like jumping on someone for hooning down some stairs on a supermoto, then biffing it in some gravel at the (unrelated) stopsign down the block, y'know?

Me?
I would be closer to the curb out of habit, but that's me, and I can't really fault him overmuch for making a different lane-positioning choice than I would, when that choice *shouldn't* have had a crash attached.

He rides more confidently then I do. I'm a noob, and would make different choices on the bike than he did. However - I make similar choices in my car under similar circumstances. There is one spot about 300 yards long on my commute to work where I routinely drive 35-40 in a 15. I know the road, and there is non-zero but totally manageable risk on that section - the biggest risk being that some DPD motorcycle cop is going to get a bug up his rear end,decide he wants to impound a fuckton of cars that day, and set up a trap at the end of that particular curve into the parking garage.

The driver of the other car, however, was holy poo poo are you kidding me?

My biggest issue, and the largest factor that I'd change were it me, is that I'd leave the video rolling as evidence rather than turn it off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If he had stopped for the stop sign he wouldn't have gotten hit. Funny how that works.

Also the speed limit is a maximum speed. That doesn't mean its safe to do it regardless of conditions. I do 10-15 mph through a 25 zone every morning because there's kids around. I don't do 30mph and run stop signs in a parking lot because that's a really dumb thing to do, and even if they are at fault for the accident, I'm still the one bleeding on the ground.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 7, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Parking lot seemed a bit fast and careless, but if it's a familiar lot, I'm not going to say what was reckless, plus the camera really skews perspective.

Driver was at fault, but if he'd have come to a clean stop and observed before going again he may have been able to avoid the accident. The bike always loses, so it's in your best interest to take the extra caution. Was it his fault? No, but he may have been able to avoid it if he'd have been a bit more careful, and that is always worth identifying.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

aventari posted:

He drives straight into auruspex on his own drivers side without even noticing. That's some inattentive, irresponsible poo poo.

This is true and no argument from me. However the complaint is that auruspex set that situation up. He approached the T junction, where he had a stop sign, in the center of the road (at best). You can see him go thru the middle to miss the speed bumps right before. Had he been a bit more inside, it might not have been as much of a problem. This isn't awful, just a factor that lead to it. His problem, if you didn't notice on the video, was he ran the stop sign. If he'd stopped at the stop sign there wouldn't have been a problem.

The driver would have cut close to him, sure, but that's what drivers do. If he never noticed this is a tough lesson, and if other's haven't noticed, people cut left turns tight all the loving time. Look at a large intersection and you'll see the left turn lane is often farther back then the straight and right lanes. It's because people turn tight, not wide, and even with them recessed I constantly see people driving thru them. Again, this isn't his fault, but it's a contributing factor and moreso when combined with how far wide he was near the stop sign.

The driver might not have even seen him, or he might have just expected him to stop and taken the turn a little tight, as people do, especially in parking lots. I also think he realized earlier than some say, he was stopped pretty much immediately which makes me think he was braking before they hit. I'd put this as 50/50. Inattentive driver, but poor riding. I mean hell, he almost has a similar accident right before. Fortunately that car yielded.

Mutual Slump
Jan 3, 2009

nsaP posted:

... However the complaint is that auruspex set that situation up.

I agree. Regardless of who is at "fault" here, the way Auruspex was riding this type of thing is bound to happen.

I feel in some situations (particularly this one) being a confident rider is a hindrance. A noob would have been putting along, yielding to traffic and actually stopping at stop signs. Would the careless driver still be a danger to everyone on the road? Yeah. But at least you are reducing your chances of being involved in a collision.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jabs posted:

I'm going to duck in here and agree.
Auruspex's speedometer is visible and (mostly) readable in the video, and for the majority of the time he's doing what I'd call 'reasonable, if not exactly prudent' parking lot speeds. He hits 30 for one speedometer update cycle, for the majority of the time, his speed is much lower (22-25 mph), and his forward visibility and positioning are pretty reasonable to avoid a car that starts backing out, unless that car fairly well leaps out of the space like a cat on some catnip - in which case, I don't know that anything would help avoid a collision.
(remember, the vision with your eyes on the bike is way better than the vision on the video replay)

However, in the end, Auruspex's behavior for the 30 seconds prior to impact is fairly well irrelevant to the actual crash - because at the time of the crash he didn't really have unreasonable speed, or super terrible positioning for the turn. Jumping on his poo poo feels a lot like jumping on someone for hooning down some stairs on a supermoto, then biffing it in some gravel at the (unrelated) stopsign down the block, y'know?

Me?
I would be closer to the curb out of habit, but that's me, and I can't really fault him overmuch for making a different lane-positioning choice than I would, when that choice *shouldn't* have had a crash attached.

He rides more confidently then I do. I'm a noob, and would make different choices on the bike than he did. However - I make similar choices in my car under similar circumstances. There is one spot about 300 yards long on my commute to work where I routinely drive 35-40 in a 15. I know the road, and there is non-zero but totally manageable risk on that section - the biggest risk being that some DPD motorcycle cop is going to get a bug up his rear end,decide he wants to impound a fuckton of cars that day, and set up a trap at the end of that particular curve into the parking garage.

The driver of the other car, however, was holy poo poo are you kidding me?

My biggest issue, and the largest factor that I'd change were it me, is that I'd leave the video rolling as evidence rather than turn it off.

Driver was at fault but Auruspex didn't stop at the stop sign and he was on the wrong side of the of the road which is contributing negligence.

Also, I couldn't make out his speed on the speedo. The speedo is digital, you might be looking at the tach.

And I watched the video again and the driver had already started his turn when Auruspex pulled up to the turn on the wrong side of the road and completely blew the stop sign. Auruspex didn't even avoid the large puddle by going back into his lane, just shows how he rides and how he pays attention.

And if the cop thought the guy was inebriated, the cop would've arrested him. Cops literally never pass up a DUI arrest.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 7, 2012

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Well, like they say in the MSF, there's always multiple factors that play a role in a crash: it's the rider's role to mitigate as many of those factors as possible. :eng101:

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Cycle Asylum - Biker-hating bikers.

Car driver wasn't paying attention. Who gives a poo poo about what happened before?

Honestly it's probably only because you're on a supersports and not driving a POS 86' Honda 250CC why these tedious pedants are on you.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mootmoot posted:

More like
Cycle Asylum - Biker-hating retarded bikers.

Yes, the car didn't see him but maybe if he was a bit more aware of the situation none of this would have happened.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mootmoot posted:

Car driver wasn't paying attention. Who gives a poo poo about what happened before?

Honestly it's probably only because you're on a supersports and not driving a POS 86' Honda 250CC why these tedious pedants are on you.

See auruspex, if mootmoot is on your side I think you may have some serious thinking to do about your riding.

mootmoot, are you just butthurt because your (second) accident was really like auruspex's and if you actually posted the video you know we'd all make fun of you for it? I noticed you typed it out but never said any detail other than the guy pulling out and him saying "I didn't see you."

Where's the vid mootmoot? Rest of CA: I'll take bets on mootmoots being similar to auruspex's.

Edit: Did you run a stop sign as well, mootmoot?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 7, 2012

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

More like
Cycle Asylum - Biker-hating retarded bikers.

Yes, the car didn't see him but maybe if he was a bit more aware of the situation none of this would have happened.

This what's wrong with CA. No solidarity, second-guessing and trying to apportion as much blame onto brother bike owners because you all think it makes you look edgy and better than everyone else.

And unfortunately I don't have a vid of my crash. It was just a pootle around London. I will happily tell you though that I was in shorts, shirt an espadrilles though. Like I give a gently caress about anyone else's choices. It was a blazing hot day and I wasn't going to be travelling fast enough to cool down with the wind so I went out lightweight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ Oh wow you so tough way to go alpha male bro

mootmoot posted:

:qqsay:

Grow up, mootmoot. You're not funny, you're not tough, you're not even a particularly good biker.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mootmoot posted:

This what's wrong with CA. No solidarity,

Oh so you are being convinient as gently caress and isolation a single case amongst many crash stories here. Yes CA has no loving solidarity, grow the gently caress up.

quote:

second-guessing and trying to apportion as much blame onto brother bike owners because you all think it makes you look edgy and better than everyone else.

Oh and once he was callup up on his irresponsible driver, instead of standing his ground the banned douchebag showed his true colors as the second biggest bleeding vagina in CA. Can you guess who is the the biggest bleeding vagina in CA, mootmoot?

quote:

And unfortunately I don't have a vid of my crash. It was just a pootle around London. I will happily tell you though that I was in shorts, shirt an espadrilles though. Like I give a gently caress about anyone else's choices. It was a blazing hot day and I wasn't going to be travelling fast enough to cool down with the wind so I went out lightweight.

An I am glad that you are ok, no really I am. But if you don't want to learn the lesson from your crash(es) then there is no amount of words/insults/sarcasm/et al that will change your behavior.

Just stay safe mootmoot, you godammed moron.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

So if you ride on the wrong side of the road and blast through a stop sign, it doesn't matter because it was right before the crash? Is that what I'm reading from people? Those two things contributed directly to his crash, for my view of the video, it was more the cause than the driver making a sharp left as every driver ever does.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

front wing flexing posted:

So if you ride on the wrong side of the road and blast through a stop sign, it doesn't matter because it was right before the crash? Is that what I'm reading from people? Those two things contributed directly to his crash, for my view of the video, it was more the cause than the driver making a sharp left as every driver ever does.

He's trolling, don't put a lot of effort into it. Did you see how he glossed past my post?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hello! I crashed. Kind of.:downs:

I was filtering to a stopsign when it turned green, so I accelerated to catch an opening. Because my bike is a loving beast and absolutely not because a combination of stupidity, rain and paint I could not hang on and decided to do a last minute layer dan.

Casualties: mirror, left blinker. Crashed/cracked plastic on the left side to match the right, tweaked fork, a big rash on the exhaust and a bent gear lever round out the extensive damage. To my ego that is.

Oh and the left parts of my body are sore but who cares about that.

Luck would have it that an old neighbor was waiting in that same line on his bike. He helped me get up and running and is a nice chap. :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KARMA! posted:

I was filtering to a stopsign when it turned green, so I accelerated to catch an opening. Because my bike is a loving beast and absolutely not because a combination of stupidity, rain and paint I could not hang on and decided to do a last minute layer dan.

Casualties: mirror, left blinker. Crashed/cracked plastic on the left side to match the right, tweaked fork, a big rash on the exhaust and a bent gear lever round out the extensive damage. To my ego that is.

Oh and the left parts of my body are sore but who cares about that.

Luck would have it that an old neighbor was waiting in that same line on his bike. He helped me get up and running and is a nice chap. :)

Doh.

Don't you have a TDM?

Save yourself from future left handed exhaust woe and save a poo poo-ton of weight with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDM-850-GPR-Exhaust-2in1-road-legal-/130376109406

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't really understand the whole bragging about hooning at 100+ on the freeway, or riding on the sidewalk/shoulder, while at the same time criticizing someone rolling a stop sign in a parking lot. Regardless of what "feels safer", the law would hold both bikers equally responsible if they were involved in an accident, right?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Radbot posted:

I don't really understand the whole bragging about hooning at 100+ on the freeway, or riding on the sidewalk/shoulder, while at the same time criticizing someone rolling a stop sign in a parking lot. Regardless of what "feels safer", the law would hold both bikers equally responsible if they were involved in an accident, right?

Yes, they'd be equally responsible. However, I don't see much bragging about hooning in CA, though. Hardly if ever. And when people post videos of someone going balls out on the highway, it's usually met with criticism around here, at least that's what I've seen.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
When I ride parking lots I stay in the center, as I'm sure you all do, too. Now I'm going to be more careful about getting back over to the right at the end of a lot corridor. I already do it but I want to be more conscious about it. I hope all of you are too.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KARMA! posted:

I was filtering to a stopsign when it turned green

There's your problem, if you wouldn't have waited for that stop sign to turn green you would have avoided that crash :)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

savesthedayrocks posted:

There's your problem, if you wouldn't have waited for that stop sign to turn green you would have avoided that crash :)

You would have had to stare at it for a while though.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar2000/953142976.Ns.r.html

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Saga posted:

Doh.

Don't you have a TDM?

Save yourself from future left handed exhaust woe and save a poo poo-ton of weight with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDM-850-GPR-Exhaust-2in1-road-legal-/130376109406

If I'm going to spend money on this bike I would buy a g&g exhaust. So pretty.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KARMA! posted:

If I'm going to spend money on this bike I would buy a g&g exhaust. So pretty.

Just a slip-on ad dynojet kit is good for about 7hp on the TRX (mine dyno'd at 79 and a bit,up from the regulation 72.5 at the rear) and a lot of weight lost. More on the TDM IIRC because of that huge collector.

While you're at it...

http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/Keihin_41FCR_Full_Kit_Yamaha_TDM850_All_19912002--product--4028.html

:devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Go with an no slip-on; loud pipes save lives (obviously), therefore open pipes will save more lives!

• Locked thread