Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lot 49 posted:

1. What's a good camera app? I want something that will let me turn off the shutter sound effect.

Camera ZOOM FX is a great camera, and has an option to turn off the shutter sound, but, on my phone at least, the option doesn't work. I had to delete the shutter sound file which is in /system/media/audio/UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Are you rooted? If so you can just delete the shutter sound.

As for 2., Phandroid and Android Police aren't bad.

Personally, I absolutely hate phandroid. They gently caress up facts all the time. Once in a while they get a leak or quick update, but they get more poo poo wrong than BGR does when they go on an apple fanboy rant.
/endrant

I'd suggest http://www.androidguys.com/ over phandroid or http://www.phonearena.com/android/news (phonearena's android section) which cover things quite well. I know it's not "android blog" but their android area is better than most websites.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Thanks for responses.

I hadn't considered rooting and then deleting the sound file. I'll probably do that, or maybe try and replace it with a low beep or something.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Camera ZOOM FX is a great camera, and has an option to turn off the shutter sound, but, on my phone at least, the option doesn't work. I had to delete the shutter sound file which is in /system/media/audio/UI.

2nding Camera ZOOM FX. Bought it for $.10 during Android's December's 10 apps for $.10 for 10 days sale. The disabling of my shutter sound worked seamlessly on my Xperia Arc. Plus the other features are very nice as opposed to Sony's stock camera.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I don't think we have a android troubleshooting thread so i thought id ask here:

As of about a week ago my gmail app stopped syncing (it has worked fine for nearly a year)

I have tried ticking and unticking the sync options, adding another account, deleting the data saved inside the app and asking it to sync again. The only thing i havn't tried is uninstalling the app (it wont let me, i guess its to tied into the phone)

I have googled it but i can't find a solution

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Did you enable 2-step Verification recently, or change any 2-step settings?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Sorry, I know its been asked but what is the favorite password vault for android?
I use Linux at home, so a good linux app is a must. I'd be only using it for web, and it seems all the big names support chrome/ie/firefox, so I don't suspect there are any OS issues. But I figure its worth mentioning.

I'm thinking either LastPass or KeyPass would be best?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Skam posted:

I don't think we have a android troubleshooting thread so i thought id ask here:

As of about a week ago my gmail app stopped syncing (it has worked fine for nearly a year)

I have tried ticking and unticking the sync options, adding another account, deleting the data saved inside the app and asking it to sync again. The only thing i havn't tried is uninstalling the app (it wont let me, i guess its to tied into the phone)

I have googled it but i can't find a solution
I've had this happen twice now in a year on my EVO 3D, and it was solved by a full reboot of the phone. Nothing else I tried ever did any good.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Did you enable 2-step Verification recently, or change any 2-step settings?

I haven't changed anything, it just stopped working

Cruseydr posted:

I've had this happen twice now in a year on my EVO 3D, and it was solved by a full reboot of the phone. Nothing else I tried ever did any good.

drat, As sad as this sounds i really dont want to do this because i don't want to lose my progress in a load of games.

Do you think i could get away with a factory reset without the sd card in?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Is the 4x1 weather widget in Beautiful Widgets broken for everyone else? It's like they hosed up the spacing with one of the last couple of updates:

The new Google Chrome update is really good, too.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Skam posted:

drat, As sad as this sounds i really dont want to do this because i don't want to lose my progress in a load of games.

Do you think i could get away with a factory reset without the sd card in?
Reboot, not reset/reflash.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
And also yes, you can factory reset with the SD card out; keeping it out is usually recommended because sometimes a factory reset will erase everything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I recently uninstalled a game from my phone and wanted to know if I could just pull the files from the backed up SD card and put them back on to keep my saved game or am I screwed?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Skam posted:

Do you have a low space message on your phone? I have had that stop Gmail sync on my phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I recently uninstalled a game from my phone and wanted to know if I could just pull the files from the backed up SD card and put them back on to keep my saved game or am I screwed?
It depends entirely on the game. Some save progress to the external SD card and some don't. Do you not have a Titanium Backup of the game?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It depends entirely on the game. Some save progress to the external SD card and some don't. Do you not have a Titanium Backup of the game?

I don't have root at the moment. Well I was rooted, but not when the game was installed.

The game in question is Dungeon Raid.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Skam posted:

I had a similar issue that I think I eventually tracked down to a calendar widget breaking a calendar process that broke the entire Google sync process.

I fixed it by not restoring that piece of system data when I flashed a new ROM.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

gariig posted:

Do you have a low space message on your phone? I have had that stop Gmail sync on my phone

I deleted a load of apps and sure enough its working

I really should of guessed it was that, I was assuming because i had over 20 gig spare on my sd card it was fine

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't have root at the moment. Well I was rooted, but not when the game was installed.

The game in question is Dungeon Raid.
I don't have experience with that one but it should be rather obvious if you have a file for it if you know the package name. I've seen games with their own folder, games that put their data in /sdcard/android/data, and some that use hidden folders with the package name. Uninstalling the app doesn't remove this data so if it's there it should be apparent.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

games that put their data in /sdcard/android/data

This is what Dungeon Raid does.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

When I used to have a TI-83 calculator, I used to use the program function to make little programs that would let me plug in some numbers and give me the output. Is there something similar for the Android without having to use a spread sheet program?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Bioshuffle posted:

When I used to have a TI-83 calculator, I used to use the program function to make little programs that would let me plug in some numbers and give me the output. Is there something similar for the Android without having to use a spread sheet program?

If you can extract the TI-83 rom out of your calculator you can use Andie Graph and it'll work exactly like your TI-83.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I have a 2 day business presentation I'm attending and would like to record it with a transformer prime's back facing camera so people at the home office can watch it later. Is there a background video recording app that would let me run evernote / gmail while it's recording? I have a Transformer Prime 64 gigs with 2 32 gig SD cards in it, I assume that 128 gigs is enough space for 14 hours of video or so?

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

i like tacos posted:

If you can extract the TI-83 rom out of your calculator you can use Andie Graph and it'll work exactly like your TI-83.

Legally speaking, if you own the calculator you can just download the rom from their website. By buying the calculator you purchase the right to use their software so it's not :filez:. I did the same thing for the TI-89.

This is assuming you can get the rom from the TI website. I know you can for the TI-89 but since I don't have a TI-83 I don't know about that calculator.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I used Wabbitemu to extract a ROM from the TI-83+'s system software, but trying to run the ROM in Andie Graph just gives me a blank screen:

The only link cable I have for my 83+ is about a million years old and has a 9-pin serial connector, so I'm pretty much out of luck there. Can anyone here tell me how they created a working ROM from the .8xu file available from TI?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I don't have experience with that one but it should be rather obvious if you have a file for it if you know the package name. I've seen games with their own folder, games that put their data in /sdcard/android/data, and some that use hidden folders with the package name. Uninstalling the app doesn't remove this data so if it's there it should be apparent.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is what Dungeon Raid does.

Tried it and it worked. Thanks a lot guys!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with scrolling down the mobile version of Facebook using the Google Beta. It keeps snapping back to the top for me.

Latest release on ICS.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ZeeBoi posted:

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with scrolling down the mobile version of Facebook using the Google Beta. It keeps snapping back to the top for me.

Latest release on ICS.

Yup, me too

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Manky posted:

I wonder why nobody has tried to implement a usage-based payment plan. They're already able to monitor usage - why not just make it so that heavy users get a pop-up, like, "Hey, we've noticed you've been using this app every day for the past year. Why not give us $10 to keep using it?" For light users, don't bother charging them. Implement some kind of sliding scale for occasional users, light users, intermittent heavy users, heavy users.

If I had that pop up I'd uninstall the app and get an alternative

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GreatKesh posted:

No skin off the developer's nose. I like the idea.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Radbot posted:

No skin off the developer's nose. I like the idea.

Me too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GreatKesh posted:

I know, gently caress those assholes who want to get paid for their work.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I know, gently caress those assholes who want to get paid for their work.

More like gently caress those assholes for trying to sell a product like a service, I'll pay someone else for their work.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

fudsak posted:

More like gently caress those assholes for trying to sell a product like a service, I'll pay someone else for their work.

Well, when you use a product that is actually a service, it does make sense. Example: Pocket Cast

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fudsak posted:

Software is a service. It requires constant work to keep it updated and bug free.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Well, when you use a product that is actually a service, it does make sense. Example: Pocket Cast

Totally agree. I guess I'm referencing something like a music player app, or a game app, or whatever else that is a standalone product.

Thermopyle posted:

Software is a service. It requires constant work to keep it updated and bug free.

Charging for updates is understandable. A lot of software adds a second app when they've hit enough updates for a 2.0, 3.0, etc.

To correct bugs is to maintain quality should not be considered a chargeable service. While it's continued work on the developers part, it's continued work to maintain their reputation. It's almost impossible to release software 100% bug free but if you're going to charge people to continue to work on errors in the code you wrote then you are crazy.

fudsak fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 9, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fudsak posted:

With attitudes like this, I can't imagine why Android developers make no money.

Edit: Saw the new post. The Android SDK changes all the time, the emulator is garbage, and there's something like 400 unique devices to support. Well, 400 to support before you consider cobbled-together custom ROMs and root permissions and all that other nonsense. Maintaining existing code is a nightmare for which developers should be paid.

On top of that Android users are cheap and won't invest in working devices or the ecosystem. The piracy rate on Android is generally around 80% for paid apps. There are good reasons why the best developers avoid the platform altogether and the attitude of "Well I'm not going to pay for an app..." is probably the top one.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 9, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So Flipboard got an update and what do I see in the update notes? The ability to share to outside apps not tied to Flipboard. Yay! Let's give this a whirl!

God damnit. :ughh:

For reference, he's how sharing from Pocket looks (i.e. not lovely).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ZeeBoi posted:

Latest release on ICS.

This isn't sarcasm, but any reason/feature you're using that instead of Friendcaster? Everyone seems to have moved to that.

And on the other foot...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So Flipboard got an update and what do I see in the update notes?
I hear people talk about Flipboard a lot but it's always in relation to tablets. If I'm a Google Reader whore, is it preferable to gReader? I'm used to selecting feeds and stories on a list, but whenever I see Flipboard on display it's inevitably on a tablet in some Metro Tiles style interface that I don't think would be too cool on a phone, especially the way I use Reader. I have dozens of subscriptions and occasionally hundreds of posts and selectively read about a dozen of them and Mark As Read the rest.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Craptacular! posted:

I hear people talk about Flipboard a lot but it's always in relation to tablets. If I'm a Google Reader whore, is it preferable to gReader? I'm used to selecting feeds and stories on a list, but whenever I see Flipboard on display it's inevitably on a tablet in some Metro Tiles style interface that I don't think would be too cool on a phone, especially the way I use Reader. I have dozens of subscriptions and occasionally hundreds of posts and selectively read about a dozen of them and Mark As Read the rest.

It's a really well built app that works great on phones as well. The problem with it is that it requires a different kind of user. You pick subjects and a few select authors and the app kinda decides what to show you. It's a far more casual experience, one that I prefer for news. I don't need to see every article a source posts. I still keep my Google Reader account for things I want to see every post of like web comics and blogs.

When used with Pocket you can blast through the day's news in no time. I'll go through my flipboard categories and if something seems interesting I'll long press and send it to Pocket and keep going through stories. When I want to sit down and tear through every line of an article I go to Pocket and read what I sent there (offline reader, saves everything). There's also a Chrome extension so if I'm at work and someone sends me something I can just right click, send to Pocket and go back to it on my smoke break. Another reason I'm a huge fan of the Flipboard/Pocket combo is my carrier is poo poo. I can plow through news and send them all to Pocket and while I'm inevitably in yet another dead zone I can still have something to read instead of flailing about loudly complaining about my 1 bar of 2G.

tl;dr - It's not a replacement for a well manicured RSS app and requires a bit of a mind set change to casual news consumption.

• Locked thread