Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If they're anything like my group, they'll get attached to their pregens and not want to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MagnumOpus posted:

Thanks for the replies. My plan is to introduce my group to WFRP using some of the intro modules, but after a session or two once they've got the basic mechanics down we'll do character creation for the actual game and I'll get to writing.

If that's my intention, sounds like I'll want the Creature Vault and GM Toolkit for the variety of new stuff? And also I suppose the Priest and Wizard expansions? Basically for the actual campaign creation I'd like to have as many cool things as possible to build with, while leaving some of the more obscure and specialized options for future purchase as new options for 2nd characters.

I love everything I've read about the game so far but it feels like FFG really bungled the product management here because trying to figure out what I need is complete :psyduck:

Like it says in the OP, you don't NEED anything besides the core set (or 3 core books if you like it old-school). Anything else is immediately awesome and useful, though. It's VERY modular.

My collection so far is 2 core sets, Winds of Magic, Signs of Faith, Black Fire Pass, the GM and Adventurer's Toolkits, a Monster Vault, and the Player's and GM's Guides. I also have The Edge of Night. Every new thing just adds new options that you don't have to use if you don't want.

My top picks to go with the core set are the Adventurer's Toolkit and Monster Vault. Both add some nice stuff, the MV especially with the monster cards. Then just get whatever sounds cool. If you have a player who likes dwarves, get Black Fire Pass. Combat guy? Orders of War. You get the idea. Just start small until you get the feel, THEN spend all your money on the rest.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 27, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Echophonic posted:

Like it says in the OP, you don't NEED anything besides the core set (or 3 core books if you like it old-school). Anything else is immediately awesome and useful, though. It's VERY modular.
This is true, with one clarification: I understand that if you go it oldschool with the three books you do need the Creature Vault, I have been led to believe that the Creature Companion shafts you on the actual monster abilities(but this is second hand info only).

I own the Core, the Adventurer's and GM Toolkits, the Creature Vault and Hero's Call. They're all awesome (Hero's call's template things are just my new favourite thing ever :circlefap:) but the only one of these apart from the Core that I think I'd actually be hurting without is the Adventurer's Toolkit, and that's only because I prefer to run for larger groups (and ratcatcher with dog).

The only thing that I really wish they had put in the Core set is corruption and mutations, but that's due to a personal love of evil uranium, and since you have the GM guide you're sorted there anyway.

e: the only reason I don't have the Wizard expansion for the Mutations is that my completionist streak would get twitchy if I had one Ruinous Power expansion and not the others.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 27, 2012

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Speaking of Hero's call are there any ogre careers apart from the maneater?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Stormgale posted:

Speaking of Hero's call are there any ogre careers apart from the maneater?
No ogre-specific. They can take any career that both a dwarf and a human can take though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Looking forward to tonight. Running our first real session(our first session with the game was running Day Late, Shilling Short with the provided pregens)

One of my three PCs put quite a lot of thought into his character, which was good as it allowed the others to weave into that and also provide plot hooks.

I have a Zealot who was the son of a noble family sent away to an Abbey set up to deal with troubled young minds. There he had discipline and piety drilled into him as the only thing protecting his fragile mind from the ravages of chaos. Less than a week ago the abbey was attacked and burnt down by beastmen. He had "an episode" and all he remembers of that night is coming back to lucidity holding the abbot's ornate warhammer slick with the blood of beastmen, as the remnants of the warband flee from him into the forest leaving the rest of the abbey ruined and him the only survivor. He took what he could and set off on the road not knowing what else to do.

My second player is a young country yokel who took up road wardening because he couldn't bear the thought of farming turnips in his fathers field a day longer. He came across the ruined abbey and decided to investigate what happened and bring the perps to justice as his first act as a road warden.

Lastly we have a somewhat rebellious grey wizard sent away from the college for the first time since joining the order. He was brought in because of aptitude from a poor family and views himself as superior to the rich kids there on daddy's dime. This didn't exactly endear him to his superiors so when they saw the chance to send him away to investigate what happened in some backwater abbey out in the Reikwald they were only too happy.

There are a couple of clues around that this was more than just a random attack, and the players should eventually discover that it was the work of an overzealous witch hunter who has long desired to shut the abbey down, he sees its wards as too dangerous to keep alive. He planted some chaos relic within the abbey to draw an attack towards the area. I imagine he will be out of the partys immediate reach for the timebeing, although they may surprise me.

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008
Just picked this up, and I'm about halfway through the main rulebook. My one question so far is, what is the Character Transition line on the character sheet actually for? Are the check boxes supposed to mark off the cost of the transition? Why are there 5 if the maximum number of advances to transition is 4?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yup, that's exactly what it is for. I assume the extra point is future proofing or something.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Wizards have hat based character progression. This is literally the greatest ttrpg ever invented.

E: Ok, I know this is exceptionally far thinking, but what is the general consensus on how to build a wizard with regards to career advancement? In core there are only 2 caster professions. There seems to be another in Winds of Magic, but what do I do after that?

I bet the general consensus is, "If you live long enough to master 3 careers then don't sweat it so much weirdo." :ohdear:

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 6, 2012

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:
There's also one in The Witch's Song, surprisingly enough. The witch, much more versatile but pretty much doomed to die from corruption eventually. I don't know what it's worth in actual play.

I very much like WHFRP's way of putting a little bit of crunch stuff in all their products that you can use outside of it. Since it's all in the form of cards, I can add it to my card collection without needing to keep ten rulebooks available during character creation, and getting new cards gives me a warm feeling inside. Congrats to FFG for finding an effective way to discourage piracy.

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here

Turing sex machine posted:

There's also one in The Witch's Song, surprisingly enough. The witch, much more versatile but pretty much doomed to die from corruption eventually. I don't know what it's worth in actual play.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Witch can go to Warlock OR to one of the Colleges of Magic. I don't know if you'll be able to keep your Hedge Magic, however. If these new classes are supposed to represent Hedge Wizards, then they can still go off to the Colleges of Magic, but by the time you hit Warlock, you're able to use Dark Magic or Chaos Magic and at that point, you're damned.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Failboattootoot posted:

Wizards have hat based character progression. This is literally the greatest ttrpg ever invented.

E: Ok, I know this is exceptionally far thinking, but what is the general consensus on how to build a wizard with regards to career advancement? In core there are only 2 caster professions. There seems to be another in Winds of Magic, but what do I do after that?

I bet the general consensus is, "If you live long enough to master 3 careers then don't sweat it so much weirdo." :ohdear:
Hero's Call has Epic careers, including some Epic wizard careers. The Archmage has something like five slots. And a very big hat.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm having a hard time convincing my group to play this again :(

They all said they loved it. Loved it enough to play regularly. But what do they want to do? They want to have another go at the 5e playtest. Which they didn't like :argh:

They're a great group, but they can be so loving frustrating.

I mean, the guy playing the troll slayer in A Day Late And A Shilling Short burned a heap of fatigue in his first round in order to charge up, leap on top of the coach, and then leap off and behead a beastman. But noooooooo, he wants to try the new D&D again, even though he thought it sucked and the fighter was boring compared to the troll slayer. What the gently caress?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 9, 2012

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
Two questions about the action Dramatic Flourish from the core set.

1. One possible boon effect is "the target suffers 2 stress". But all NPCs take stress in the form of wounds, right? So what is the purpose of calling it stress? Flavour? Are there monsters immune to stress? (This can also be seen on Duelist's Strike, maybe others.)

2. One side's boon effect says "the target suffers 2 stress". The other side says "the target suffers 1 stress, even if you miss." But don't boon effects that aren't extra damage trigger even if miss anyway? Or is stress treated exactly like damage for this purpose?

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here

1. One possible boon effect is "the target suffers 2 stress". But all NPCs take stress in the form of wounds, right? So what is the purpose of calling it stress? Flavour? Are there monsters immune to stress? (This can also be seen on Duelist's Strike, maybe others.)

2. One side's boon effect says "the target suffers 2 stress". The other side says "the target suffers 1 stress, even if you miss." But don't boon effects that aren't extra damage trigger even if miss anyway? Or is stress treated exactly like damage for this purpose?

At it's most basic, stress against enemies CAN be just used as damage. However, there was also some advanced rules in the Creature Handbook guide that (I'm pretty sure) stated that fatigue can be used to remove Aggression dice and stress can be used to remove Cunning Dice. After that, both of them affect Expertise dice. Once that's taken away, then it's converted into damage. Also, special villain characters can be affected by stress and fatigue just like player characters if you so choose.

So, if you miss with your regular hit, they'll not suffer anything, but if it says stress is suffered, even if you miss, then the target suffers it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
You can also give PC action cards to major NPCs to juice them up. Many of the later adventure big bad guys come with a bunch of their own action cards (which you can also give to PCs in some situations).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Henchmen (aka minions) take Stress and Fatigue as Wounds. Also when you crit a Henchman you flip the card and they take damage equal to the severity of the critical wound instead of applying the crit effect. Also, overflow damage carries over. Henchmen are for killing lots and lots of as gruesomely as possible.

Important NPCs (D&D 4E Elites and higher basically) take fatigue/stress/crits exactly like players do. If Vlad gets away, then whether he got away scot free or if he got away with a leg wound and a phobia of bats will be relevant to (and fun for) later encounters. Similarly, whether you kill the rat horror, cause it to pass out from exhaustion, or drive its stress so high it rises up and murder its creators are all interesting ends to an encounter.

For the in between guys, it depends on the circumstances. By default I think you're supposed to treat them like PCs but I generally do whatever seems right at the time (and how much bookkeeping I can spare). Ungor Beastman Number 2's mental state is usually not going to be of huge interest to anyone, but crippling an otherwise healthy Wargor's arm is going to drastically increase party survivability. Conversely, if they drop 4 stress on the Ungor in one turn that guy's going to get proper stress rules, but if the Wargor is down to 1 wound and a head injury you better believe he just got decapitated.

As a general rule, the closer you treat a monster to a PC effectswise the more difficult and interesting it will be to kill and the more numbers you'll need to keep track of.

e: NPC stress and stamina used straight are amaaazing for Social Combat though.

This sounds... wrong. I'll check it when I get home, but unless there's some kind of missing context I think you've found a busted card.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 12, 2012

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Cock Goblin posted:

At it's most basic, stress against enemies CAN be just used as damage. However, there was also some advanced rules in the Creature Handbook guide that (I'm pretty sure) stated that fatigue can be used to remove Aggression dice and stress can be used to remove Cunning Dice. After that, both of them affect Expertise dice. Once that's taken away, then it's converted into damage.
I like this. Man, I want that Creature Handbook. But I shouldn't buy even more stuff before I've even played a game!

Splicer posted:

Henchmen (aka minions) take Stress and Fatigue as Wounds. Also when you crit a Henchman you flip the card and they take damage equal to the severity of the critical wound instead of applying the crit effect. Also, overflow damage carries over. Henchmen are for killing lots and lots of as gruesomely as possible.

Important NPCs (D&D 4E Elites and higher basically) take fatigue/stress/crits exactly like players do.

For the in between guys, it depends on the circumstances. By default I think you're supposed to treat them like PCs but I generally do whatever seems right at the time (and how much bookkeeping I can spare).
The RAW anyway (from Tome of Adventure and FAQ) says that all enemies take stress/fatigue as wounds, and only henchmen have that "crit = bonus wounds" rules. Apparently, a common house rule for non-henchmen of all kinds is to let players choose after revealing a crit whether it counts as crit or bonus wounds, which sounds like a very good idea to me. (It does make crits significantly stronger though.)

quote:

If Vlad gets away, then whether he got away scot free or if he got away with a leg wound and a phobia of bats will be relevant to (and fun for) later encounters. Similarly, whether you kill the rat horror, cause it to pass out from exhaustion, or drive its stress so high it rises up and murder its creators are all interesting ends to an encounter.
Does that actually happen though? In combat there's only one or two actions that deal stress/fatigue (to the enemy), so not counting it as a wound sounds like it would be wasted. Even amongst social actions, there isn't much stress/fatigue damage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

This sounds... wrong. I'll check it when I get home, but unless there's some kind of missing context I think you've found a busted card.
So after reading the card AND rereading the rules on boons to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding one of the most fundamental mechanics of the game, that card is odd. It's not useless; it has two boon effects, one triggering on one boon and the other triggering with two, each adding one stress. The reckless side only has the one boon effect; two stress for two boons. This fits in with the theme of conservative vs reckless, as the reckless is an all-or-nothing benefit where the conservative has a likely minor effect and a less likely major. The "even if you miss" is completely redundant though. Also, since the conservative side lacks a multiple hammer benefit it seems kinda weak to me, but not incredibly so.

If you send them a mail they might put in an errata. The card works fine if you ignore the "on a miss" thing, but there's definitely something funny going on.

The RAW anyway (from Tome of Adventure and FAQ) says that all enemies take stress/fatigue as wounds, and only henchmen have that "crit = bonus wounds" rules. Apparently, a common house rule for non-henchmen of all kinds is to let players choose after revealing a crit whether it counts as crit or bonus wounds, which sounds like a very good idea to me. (It does make crits significantly stronger though.)
The GM's Toolkit introduces Nemesis enemies, who take fatigue and stress and have stances and such. I apparently confused my houserule of "sometimes I have interesting enemies take stress/fatigue as normal, like Nemesises!" to be a houserule of "sometimes I have boring enemies take wounds instead of Stress/Fatigue, like Henchmen!" But hey it's working so :colbert:

Does that actually happen though? In combat there's only one or two actions that deal stress/fatigue (to the enemy), so not counting it as a wound sounds like it would be wasted. Even amongst social actions, there isn't much stress/fatigue damage.
It'll depend. If someone's statted themselves up as a Stressy McStressington then I'll want to let them do what they want to do. Similarly if a Stressy McStressington party somehow managed to throw down 7 stress on a Wargor then more power to them. What I generally do is track Stress and Fatigue for the more interesting bad guys and use them as guidelines for how they're going to act each round, and when the sum total starts nearing their wound threshold I'll make a judgement call based on how the fight is going.

Also, some creatures have hilariously low mental stats. A Hell Pit Abomination (which is just about as horrible as it sounds) has a willpower of 1. Now, letting 3 stress knock it literally unconcious would be a bit silly, but I'd definitely send it rampaging after its former allies for a turn or so before they can get it back under control.

e:

So what is the purpose of calling it stress?
Come to think of it... does stress/fatigue damage ignore soak?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 12, 2012

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Splicer posted:

e:
Come to think of it... does stress/fatigue damage ignore soak?

Good catch. It must, or there would be no point to monsters suffering such small amounts of damage.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Splicer posted:

Also, since the conservative side lacks a multiple hammer benefit it seems kinda weak to me, but not incredibly so.
I'm 3/4th of the way through writing an app that calculates the average utility of any power, I'll tell you the result when it's done. (It turned out to be a bit more work than I expected.)

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
Was supposed to run my first game tomorrow with 4 people. I planned to run A Day Late and see where to go from there. And of course two players cancelled at the last minute. Is there a way to salvage this? Can WHFRP work for 2 players with some kind of adjustment, or should I give up and break out the Magic?

(Also, initial results of the above-mentioned software is that Conservative is better than Reckless on basic attacks, by about half a wound's worth of utility. I still have to implement the possible down-grading of comets/chaos stars and the corner case of getting a crit without a wound.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are you taking into account the Delay icon? It's a killer.

I haven't played with two but I could see it working. The base game is designed for only 3 after all. Same advice as for any other low-numbers RPG; make sure to scale down the combat encounters and keep in mind that the lower the number of players the higher the number of party competency gaps, e.g. if no-one has a fellowship above 2 you might run into some difficulties in the talky bits.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Splicer posted:

Are you taking into account the Delay icon? It's a killer.
It's a tricky part to be sure. I'm thinking of approximating it by doing a weighted average between an action card and the basic attack card, but obviously that approach doesn't work for the basic attack itself. Right now I just value it at -14 utility (where a wound is worth +10 utility). Can't recall why I chose that specific number.

I should note that Conservative appears to still be good deal with considerably lower utility values of Delay.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

It's a tricky part to be sure. I'm thinking of approximating it by doing a weighted average between an action card and the basic attack card, but obviously that approach doesn't work for the basic attack itself. Right now I just value it at -14 utility (where a wound is worth +10 utility). Can't recall why I chose that specific number.
Using very fuzzy math: the GM could use the delay to shut down an active defence for two rounds, or about one usesworth. This will, on average, add one success or one boon to one attack than it would have had otherwise. Is that something you can easily weight for?

Also,for Reckless, are you taking into account that multiple Fatigue symbols still only deal one Fatigue?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am going to be picking up a copy of this to run for a weekly group. There are anywhere between 3-6 players depending on who has to work late or bridge traffic, though there are generally 5 players + GM.

What is the recommended purchases that will end up being enough pieces for everyone? Is it the core box and the Adventurer's Toolkit? Or can I just get the core and start picking up additional items piecemeal, to spread the sticker shock out over a longer period of time?

I have access to a pretty decent selection of 2nd Edition adventure materials. Is it as easy to convert it as I think it will be?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Was supposed to run my first game tomorrow with 4 people. I planned to run A Day Late and see where to go from there. And of course two players cancelled at the last minute. Is there a way to salvage this? Can WHFRP work for 2 players with some kind of adjustment, or should I give up and break out the Magic?

Should be fine with 2. We played with 3 and that scenario was pretty easy. There were a couple of wounds on the Troll Slayer at the end, but that was about it for permanent problems.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Splicer posted:

Using very fuzzy math: the GM could use the delay to shut down an active defence for two rounds, or about one usesworth. This will, on average, add one success or one boon to one attack than it would have had otherwise. Is that something you can easily weight for?
Not a bad idea. I can figure out how much two fewer misfortune dice are worth to monsters and it'll be a reasonable approximation of one Delay.

quote:

Also,for Reckless, are you taking into account that multiple Fatigue symbols still only deal one Fatigue?
I am not, because I wasn't aware of this rule. Thank you.

ocrumsprug posted:

I am going to be picking up a copy of this to run for a weekly group. There are anywhere between 3-6 players depending on who has to work late or bridge traffic, though there are generally 5 players + GM.

What is the recommended purchases that will end up being enough pieces for everyone? Is it the core box and the Adventurer's Toolkit? Or can I just get the core and start picking up additional items piecemeal, to spread the sticker shock out over a longer period of time?
Core + Toolkit is the way to go. The core box is designed for 3 and could stretch to fit 5 but the duplicates from the Toolkit will help. The only real issue is the amount of basic actions and defence cards. The core set only has 3 copies of each (which is a shame) and the Toolkit only adds 1 (also a shame). Luckily, nobody really needs their own copy of most basic action cards since they recharge instantly, and with 5 players there will probably be enough unused defence cards leftover for the 5th.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Luckily, nobody really needs their own copy of most basic action cards since they recharge instantly, and with 5 players there will probably be enough unused defence cards leftover for the 5th.
Also you can download and print off the basic actions from the FFG website here. Also if two people want to use the same card you can always photocopy it if sharing is awkward, or just scribbling it down on an index card. The odds of the FFG Game Police sending a team to take you out are reasonably low.

e: As in, in addition to the Toolkit. The extra dicewhat is wrong with me, new careers and cards mean I'd recommend the Adventurer's Toolkit to anyone starting up, even if you were sticking to three players.

I'd pick up a dice pack, but that's something you can leave off for a bit to see if you run into further problems.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 17, 2012

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
The toolkit doesn't have extra dice. The only way to get more is to buy a dice pack.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

If you have an iPhone or one of the other devices there's an official WFRP 3e dice roller app.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The toolkit doesn't have extra dice. The only way to get more is to buy a dice pack.
Fuuuu why do I keep saying this blatant lie.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Or another core set! :getin:

Also, the GM Toolkit has the same set that comes in the dice pack, from what I understand.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there a wiki or something that has :spergin: details on the Old World setting I can read while I'm at work? I've been talking to some friends and getting them interested in playing the game, and everyone keeps asking me more about the setting, and I frankly only know what I've read on the back of the career cards. I know this game is suited for just about anything, so I can make up what I want, but my friends are all kind of getting into the idea of playing in the original setting.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Wikipedia itself has a reasonable rundown of all the races and countries. GW are over protective of their IP so you won't find a huge amount online. Try the Warhammer MMO wiki too. Best would be to find some cheap out of print stuff. Or a friend who has played the tabletop version. Or maybe a cheap Warhammer ebook?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
There's a pretty big wiki called the Lexicanum. It's one of those wikis that doesn't believe information should be organized and readily available, but there's a lot to find if you poke around enough.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Oh cool, for some reason I assumed that site was 40k only. Here seems like a good starting point: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhammer_world

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
My friends and I were (are) huge fans of 2ed, but we were all kind of daunted by how different the gameplay mechanics look. Was wondering how similar in feel the characterisation and adventures are in 3ed, and how flexible the system is in non-combat mechanics. Our group always random rolled EVERYTHING and had a tendency to play as opportunistic arseholes, will they get a similar experience from 3ed?

To give you an example, their solution to the Minotaur guarding the herd stone from one of the first adventures was to strap gunpowder to the blind priest's back, light the fuse, then drive him towards the Minotaur with a whip.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Asphyxious posted:

My friends and I were (are) huge fans of 2ed, but we were all kind of daunted by how different the gameplay mechanics look. Was wondering how similar in feel the characterisation and adventures are in 3ed, and how flexible the system is in non-combat mechanics. Our group always random rolled EVERYTHING and had a tendency to play as opportunistic arseholes, will they get a similar experience from 3ed?

To give you an example, their solution to the Minotaur guarding the herd stone from one of the first adventures was to strap gunpowder to the blind priest's back, light the fuse, then drive him towards the Minotaur with a whip.
Setting up a randomroll for WFRP3 is pretty straightfoward.

Pick a stat. They get that many blue dice.
Swap some of them for red or green based on stance.
Add a yellow die if they have a relevant skill.

Add purple dice depending on how hard the basic task is (1 is the default).

Add some white if there's any positive situational modifiers.
Add black dice if there's any bad situational modifiers.

In play you'd just say "Make a (Skill or Stat name) check. It's difficulty (whatever). Yeah, that makes sense, have some white dice".

So in the above, I'd go for an average intelligence check to attach and prime the bomb (two purple, with dwarven engineering if anyone had it) and probably an easy (one purple) weapon skill or ride check to whip him the right way.
Being situational modifers I couldn't say what black and white dice would be assigned, but if, say, someone used blackpowder weapons a lot I'd give them a white die or two for the fuse-setting, or someone who used a whip a lot and had ride trained would get some white dice on top of the yellow skill die. If the minotaur knew you were there, or there was a big clearing between you and him, you'd probably get a black die to the whip roll.

If you succeeded on the whipping check but also rolled a bunch of banes you might take out the minotaur, but take damage/fatigue/stress from being showered by bits of minotaur and/or prayer stone. Or you take out the minotaur but the Priest survives and runs off screaming into the forest. A failure but with boons might send the Priest off in the wrong direction, but the minotaur would go to see why part of the forest suddenly exploded giving you time to set up an ambush.
If you got success + banes and/or chaos stars on the gunpowder I'd probably add black dice per bane and purples per chaos star to the whipping check, because things just suddenly changed from "Get the priest to the stone" to "Get the priest to the stone REALLY loving QUICKLY".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tendales posted:

There's a pretty big wiki called the Lexicanum. It's one of those wikis that doesn't believe information should be organized and readily available, but there's a lot to find if you poke around enough.
Thanks for this.

• Locked thread