Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Tossing A6s on or being hard on the brakes should not be enough to cause the car to poo poo itself like that. Not on a car that is marketed as high-performance, often advertised with shots of it screaming around a race track, and even having the manufacturer campaign similar cars in sanctioned race series. You figure out the right pedal force and pad compounds through experience, which should not run the risk of wrecking your car. Having to disable ABS to drive your fast car fast is unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Firstly, upon opening the box I immediately looked for the valves, because I heard there was some serious carnage to be had on one of them. This was allegedly due to my former mechanic who did the head-gasket/water-pump/timing-belt/tensioner job at the end of January botching the valve adjustment...

Lets see!

Click for bigger. Do I really need to tell you this? Probably. :sotw:

Oh, hello there little guy. :shobon:

Huh, I wonder why they kicked you out of the party, you look ok...

Ahh, yes.

That would do it.

You got a nice shoulder there. Have you been working out? :dukedog:

OH poo poo! RUN! RUN LITTLE GUY! :siren:

:buddy::Sup bro? :wth:

Valves. They're hilarious.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Tossing A6s on or being hard on the brakes should not be enough to cause the car to poo poo itself like that. Not on a car that is marketed as high-performance, often advertised with shots of it screaming around a race track, and even having the manufacturer campaign similar cars in sanctioned race series. You figure out the right pedal force and pad compounds through experience, which should not run the risk of wrecking your car. Having to disable ABS to drive your fast car fast is unacceptable.

Tossing Hoosiers on it nor being hard on the brakes aren't what cause the issue. What causes the issue is sudden lockup right on brake application - if you've ridden a motorcycle you get to experience this first hand instead of in a car where all of the senses are numbed. Jump hard onto the front brake of a sportbike without easing into it and you get a quick chirp when the front locks straight away then comes back to moving.

But yes, having this issue is bullshit and it shouldn't happen.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 1, 2012

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Onwards! So that first valve was definitely bad, but not horribly so. There's a 2nd valve in the box though...

Click for huge. Do it.

Ok, so this one has definitely been a bit hot. :kimchi: Seems ok though, did the machine shop overstate how bad they were?

:gonk: drat man, clean your act up or you'll never get the ladies.

:barf: Wait, nevermind, there's no hope for you, son.

:suicide:

:gibs:

You dirty, worthless bastard. :frogout:

So this is what they replaced your sorry rear end with. :v:

Looks ok to me, I see U.S.A. 3 times on the carton...

Nashville, eh? :bandwagon:

I'm trying to come up with a joke about Elvis dying on the toilet seat and their phone number, but I'm at a loss. :sigh:
Any of you care to have a go?

:ohdear:

HANG THE gently caress ON!

MOTHERFUCKING STOP THE GOD DAMNED PRESSES RIGHT THE gently caress NOW!!!

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: Is this poo poo?

I specifically asked/told the machine shop to please not use anything made in China. Nothing against the people there, but simply because I have NO confidence in the quality of their product from a long-term reliability standpoint. I said that I would gladly pay premium for Japanese parts, and I'd even settle for American if I had to. My intentions were, and still are to get at least 350,000 miles out of this engine rebuild. My only consolation so far is that they're only valves, and when I'm up for my next timing belt change in 85k if there's anything abnormal about compression I'll just have the head yanked yet again...

:negative: Gettle Automotive Machinists of Lebanon Pennsylvania, I don't think we can be friends anymore. :smith:

How could you do this to me in my hour of need. I trusted you!

I thought you were better than all those other loser local machine shops. You built an engine that set a world land speed record at Bonneville recently. :rice:

Did you let that filthy whore :china: in on that relationship too, you unfaithful jerk?

I collect your stuff and get out of my life. Leave the key on the kitchen counter. Don't you ever come back here again.
:sweep:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
So now that that horrible Trust Failure is over, lets move on.

Everything else isn't really a horrible failure, just average to slightly more than normal wear and tear for a 195,000 mile Honda bottom end. But they're getting posted anyway because they're all pretty shabby.

Onwards to Pistons and Wrist Pins!

:flaccid:Click makes bigger, mmmkay? :dong:

That grunge between the 2nd compression ring and the oil control ring on #4 is of interest to me.

Also you can plainly see that she was a dirty, dirty girl inside. NEVER AGAIN.

Some of those wrist pins are also a little :ohdear: I think...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
So there we have it.

Not only did the machine shop not follow my request to not use Chinese parts, but they didn't loving save the bearings and put them in the box! God drat it. Those were the MAIN THING I WANTED TO SEE! I even put little disposable food containers into the box numbered and labeled for each cylinder, and a bunch of even smaller ones for each of the main/journal bearings. They're all empty. I am ultrasads at this travesty...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sure sounds like someone isn't getting paid to me...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

I note that a lot of the 'ice mode' crashes are on cars that are pretty heavily modded or have much wider/stickier setups than stock and the drivers are usually doing things that would get them into a really bad situation if an electronic aid decided it didn't like what was happening and intervened on the natural path of the car.

Basically, it's something that should have been addressed before tracking the car.

Let's not forget that bigger wheels can also confuse the gently caress out of a car's ABS.

I rotated my tires last night. I was a bit concerned about doing it because my driveway has sunk a little bit since last time and it's not exactly level anymore.

I'm still alive though and the wheels are rotated. :toot:

Now if only I could figure out why the hell I have this drat brake shudder.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 1, 2012

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Let's not forget that bigger wheels can also confuse the gently caress out of a car's ABS.

Or, the car's ABS could just be total crap like Subaru's was around 2003. Braking hard on a ripply surface in my WRX was rewarded with the ABS going apeshit and the pedal sinking to the floor. Stock wheels with whatever Falken's were popular at the time. It liked to do that in snow, too. Tons of guys just pulled the ABS fuse in anticipation of aggressive driving.

I also hate my Mini's traction control. It takes steering angle into account and won't let you give full throttle past X percent steering angle. End result is that it dies when you try to pull out in a hurry and make a turn into traffic. Luckily there's a big fuckoff switch to turn it off.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Dielectric posted:

I also hate my Mini's traction control. It takes steering angle into account and won't let you give full throttle past X percent steering angle. End result is that it dies when you try to pull out in a hurry and make a turn into traffic. Luckily there's a big fuckoff switch to turn it off.

The guys had fun @ MINI Thunder last year testing that. Exit speed of 15 with DSC/TC on was 45, off it was 65. So, yeah it won't let you go anywhere near the limit.

That being said I've never had a problem with the ABS on my MINI even when I lock up basically immediately.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dielectric posted:

Or, the car's ABS could just be total crap like Subaru's was around 2003. Braking hard on a ripply surface in my WRX was rewarded with the ABS going apeshit and the pedal sinking to the floor. Stock wheels with whatever Falken's were popular at the time. It liked to do that in snow, too. Tons of guys just pulled the ABS fuse in anticipation of aggressive driving.

Impreza 2002 owner here. Yep. It was poo poo. I pulled my ABS fuse and sensors and wired up my bulb to flash on key on because seriously, the abs is going to hurt more then help. I learned to drive on a jeep without abs and know what threshold braking is. The abs used to go apeshit on my RS under tarmac braking.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Dielectric posted:

That might have something to do with not abusing the axles. Axles don't like WOT at full lock.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Impreza 2002 owner here. Yep. It was poo poo. I pulled my ABS fuse and sensors and wired up my bulb to flash on key on because seriously, the abs is going to hurt more then help. I learned to drive on a jeep without abs and know what threshold braking is. The abs used to go apeshit on my RS under tarmac braking.

I did the same, but I went so far as to remove the pump, wiring, and re-plumbed the lines to sit behind the passenger side strut tower.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Dielectric posted:

Ha, just gave me a flashback of driving my girlfriend's Grand Am in Minnesota winter one time. I was pulling out from a stop sign on a county route onto a full highway, which pretty much requires full acceleration. The snow and slush was slippery enough to activate the traction control just as I was pulling onto the highway in traffic. Of course this is the traction control that just murders engine power and doesn't use abs to brake the slipping wheel. My life flashed before my eyes and was lucky enough not to cause a 10 car pileup.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I can help you guys move your cars. :shobon:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I rotated my tires last night. I was a bit concerned about doing it because my driveway has sunk a little bit since last time and it's not exactly level anymore.

I'm still alive though and the wheels are rotated. :toot:

Now if only I could figure out why the hell I have this drat brake shudder.

Don't get underneath the car to rotate your wheels? That would seem to eliminate the risk of death almost entirely.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Slow is Fast posted:

Hey 02 RS/TS buddy. I did the same thing. ABS light is perma-on for me, I haven't bothered ripping anything but the fuse out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Throatwarbler posted:

Don't get underneath the car to rotate your wheels? That would seem to eliminate the risk of death almost entirely.

The issue isn't being crushed so much as shooting myself in the face after I drop it onto the new brake rotors.

Dick Trauma posted:

I can help you guys move your cars. :shobon:

never seen this in .gif form before. it's spectacular, but doesn't quite capture the :tviv: of the moment without sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_t8lVDt2RM

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Love how the dude yells "Why did you loving turn?!?" as if it would have made the least bit of difference.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The video would have been more funny if she didn't turn.
One of two things would have happened. Either the car would have made it half way up the ramps, then rolled backwards over the guys.
Or the sketchy-rear end ramp setup would have failed and the car would have received horrible damage as it scraped the front end down the back of the u-haul truck. The back of a u-haul truck gives no fucks, so the car would be pretty beat to hell.

She ruined making the video more funny, and probably saved those guy's life's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MY oil centrifuge was making a fuckton of noise and taking forever to spin down, so after i pulled it out while changing oil, i smashed it open. I don't know what they make these loving things out of, but it took 8 good hits with a splitting sledge to get the fucker open. When i looked inside

The noise was the impeller rubbing against the inside of the gunk. This was only 300 hours on the rotella T synthetic, and my third oil change using it. I've never seen it this bad even after going about 450 hours on mobil delvac 1. I switched back to delvac with this oil change and won't be changing back.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is some high-quality gunk, right there. Excessive heat nearby?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

That is some high-quality gunk, right there. Excessive heat nearby?

Only mack's famed oil cooled EGR. The spiner is after the filters, so the gunk is only sub-25 micron gunk, that makes it pack into what feels almost like a rubber creating the highest quality of gunks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

MY oil centrifuge was making a fuckton of noise and taking forever to spin down, so after i pulled it out while changing oil, i smashed it open. I don't know what they make these loving things out of, but it took 8 good hits with a splitting sledge to get the fucker open. When i looked inside

The noise was the impeller rubbing against the inside of the gunk. This was only 300 hours on the rotella T synthetic, and my third oil change using it. I've never seen it this bad even after going about 450 hours on mobil delvac 1. I switched back to delvac with this oil change and won't be changing back.

Woah. Glad I use the Mobil.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is that part, what is it from, and what does it do? :aaa:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

What is that part, what is it from, and what does it do? :aaa:

It's an oil centrifuge from a mack vision. it spins the oil at 7500+ RPM to spin contaminants out. It looks like this before you take a sledge to it. oil filters on big diesels only filter down to about 25 micron because of the amount of flow needed, this pulls smaller contaminants out.

The sexy part is that it's powered by the flow of the oil.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

It's an oil centrifuge from a mack vision. it spins the oil at 7500+ RPM to spin contaminants out. It looks like this before you take a sledge to it. oil filters on big diesels only filter down to about 25 micron because of the amount of flow needed, this pulls smaller contaminants out.

The sexy part is that it's powered by the flow of the oil.
: edit:
Totally missed the delvac ONE part of that... Maybe the shell has a better detergent package?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Send that off to Blackstone labs! :haw:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Why does impacted hardened oil cause it to take longer to spin down? You'd think it would make it seize instead of lubricate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

Send that off to Blackstone labs! :haw:

press it all into a jar, and send it to them with no explanation and wait patiently for them to poo poo themselves. I am going to save some and put it in a funnel, and see if it actually is still a liquid. like the pitch drop experiment.

bidikyoopi posted:

Why does impacted hardened oil cause it to take longer to spin down? You'd think it would make it seize instead of lubricate.

Inertia. What it's spinning on is basically just a brass bushing, the entire egg spins, when it triples in weight, it spins longer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

press it all into a jar, and send it to them with no explanation and wait patiently for them to poo poo themselves. I am going to save some and put it in a funnel, and see if it actually is still a liquid. like the pitch drop experiment.

Haha yes! But do you think the gunk is broken down oil or simply the oil washing away built up deposits better? If the latter, things will probably start improving.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

You've invented bunker C!

Powershift posted:

press it all into a jar, and send it to them with no explanation and wait patiently for them to poo poo themselves.

Do this and then post the results.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 8, 2012

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

It really took me a minute to realize that this is not a part of the housing...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ola posted:

Haha yes! But do you think the gunk is broken down oil or simply the oil washing away built up deposits better? If the latter, things will probably start improving.

That was my thought as well, the Rotella might actually be working really well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was the third spinner with that oil though, but the only one that went over 250 hours. I can't see why it would start working well on the third oil change.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Whoopsie:

:laffo:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

Whoopsie:

:laffo:

I don't get it... nitrogen filled tire? Ummmm... slightly curbed rim under a clamp weight?

Sure it's missing a rotor and brake pads, but it's also missing 3 out of 5 lug nuts, so it's not a "whoopsie, forgot the rotor"... so what did I miss?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I get the impression that this picture wasn't taken at the workshop that had just been working on this car - that this was taken *after* the driver got home.

Without a brake rotor. Or pads. Or 3/5 wheel nuts.

edit: from the crap on the sidewall of the tire, it might have even been taken after an accident, or a near-miss.

Memento fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 9, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

meatpimp posted:

I don't get it... nitrogen filled tire? Ummmm... slightly curbed rim under a clamp weight?

Sure it's missing a rotor and brake pads, but it's also missing 3 out of 5 lug nuts, so it's not a "whoopsie, forgot the rotor"... so what did I miss?

Don't bother about the missing lug-nuts. It's got a balancing weight to compensate. Great placement of that balancing weight by the way. It's really pretty where it's placed. Like a rare pearl or diamond. gently caress rotors, breaking is for pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Tossing A6s on or being hard on the brakes should not be enough to cause the car to poo poo itself like that.

Antilock brakes are extremely complicated systems with tons of constants and variables developed and set by manufacturers. Tire traction, dive, weight transfer, all sorts of things that are tailored to a specific model/trim. Programming is probably the only difference between a Silverado's and a Sonic's ABS, otherwise the functionality and units are probably similar.

Change every constant/variable, and you get surprises. Its fallacious that a street car should know it should be in race slick on a track mode when a few millionths of the percentage of driven time across the model range is using the ABS in race conditions.

Not to say there can't be a race mode ABS, but to think ABS made for snow/ice is even remotely like ABS programming for racing is silly.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 9, 2012