Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The beginning of the movie looked awful and I was afraid the whole thing would be this horror show of grotesquely poor cg but they eased up and it ended up being pretty enjoyable and much less distracting.

Way way too short, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I have to say that assassination scene made for more uncomfortable viewing than I'd expected, even knowing beforehand what was going to happen.

Also, they cut an absolutely essential scene from the manga: Where's the Guts vs. Griffith Naked Waterfight? <:mad:>

coathat
May 21, 2007

Pretty easy to see why the movie didn't sell at all. The animation was so inconsistent. A couple of the fights were cool but overall it was a dud. Zodd looked like complete poo poo. It was really weird that sometimes his mouth would move when he talked and sometimes it wouldn't. I'm really hoping that this style doesn't catch on.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Actually we don't know how well the movie sold. Well the DVD only did 2.5k but no one really buys DVDs anymore. Blurays take longer to chart so we probably wont see it till next week. I've heard numbers from five to 6000 which isn't a lot but it's decent enough. It's also #25 on Amazon's anime list.

It also hung around the box office for three weeks and made 1.3 million USD. Which isn't bad for an hour long anime movie.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

coathat posted:

Pretty easy to see why the movie didn't sell at all.

And this is based on...?

(No really, this poo poo hasn't been released anywhere outside of Japan, and people are already claiming it's a bust?)

coathat
May 21, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

And this is based on...?

(No really, this poo poo hasn't been released anywhere outside of Japan, and people are already claiming it's a bust?)

I'd heard it did bad in theaters, but I guess that was wrong.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seems to have done ok for an hour-long R rated anime movie with a pretty limited release.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Broke down and watched one of the rips online with subs. Couple initial thoughts:

-I really don't understand why so many Berserk fans are frothing at the mouth and hating on this thing. It seems like a lot of the narrative changes were done to make the entire thing flow more like a movie should. The pacing is a little too quick, but honestly, it feels like roughly the same speed I've read through scenes in the manga which is pretty fast.

-Removing the first raid is one of the only changes I don't agree with. That could have taken, what, less than 10 minutes going by how the production team is handling things? Definitely would give the audience a better sense of just how ridiculously calculating Griffith is and pad out some of the other Hawks perhaps, and the celebration afterwards would have added a bit more to Guts' bonding with everyone instead "Three Years Later: We're All Awesome Friends, Moving on..."

-I've seen complaints about removing the initial raid against Adon's camp, but really, was there really much point to that in the end? Adon doesn't even come in contact with anyone, IIRC. All it does is introduce him as a coward, but that can be easily taken care of with poo poo in the next film, but, you know, precious Miura, can't have any changes to my animes, :qq: etc. etc.

-The animation is weird, mainly because there are long stretches where it's god drat beautiful and fluid (even the CGI will look good) and then there are a few brief moments where I'm loving laughing my rear end off at how bad it is. Example, the animation in this shot:

:laffo: Seriously, who the gently caress thought this segment was good? If I get a chance I'm going to make this into a gif, because it looks so drat stiff and out of place, a screen cap just doesn't do it justice.

-The assassination was god drat spectacular. Seriously, lots of little subtle changes here and there really ramp up the tension. Guts reaction after Julius dies, where he briefly panics, clearly thinking how the gently caress to get out of there, and then making sure to wipe his sword on the banner on the wall - little touches like that. Of course it helps that him wrecking people's poo poo on the battlements was loving :black101: with some really awesome animation to go along with everything.

-The score definitely lost a lot of personality without having Hirasawa, but it's still pretty good. A lot of parts seem like Generic Hollywood Fantasy Soundtrack, but it works.

-Are there people seriously pissed Zodd wasn't in the movie more? gently caress he's in the original TV show for, what, fifteen minutes? He's in an hour long movie for about five or six minutes? That might actually be proportional in some odd way.

-I'm sure the new voice will grow on me after a while, but I still miss the old voice actor for Guts. Dude had an awesome voice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

e: double post

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
They nailed everything except for Corkus, his level of douchery was perfectly captured by the original voice actor, they should have gotten that guy back.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the movie as a companion to the books, but I'm not sure I would care about any of these characters if I didn't know anything beforehand. It moves too fast to establish any kind of character or relationships. Still, I enjoyed it. I also liked the fact that Guts uses a different kind of weapon for the assassinations, it never made any sense in the books that nobody would recognize his giant sword and fighting style.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The big problem with them moving everyone except Guts, Griffith and Caska into the periphery is that it'll lesson the impact of Griffith's betrayal later on. When I first watched the original series I knew and liked all the named Hawks and their deaths hit me hard. In the movies anyone who doesn't already know who there are isn't going to care at all, unless they have a lot more dedicated time in the next two. Hell, I don't think they even bothered introducing Pipin by name.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The big problem with them moving everyone except Guts, Griffith and Caska into the periphery is that it'll lesson the impact of Griffith's betrayal later on. When I first watched the original series I knew and liked all the named Hawks and their deaths hit me hard. In the movies anyone who doesn't already know who there are isn't going to care at all, unless they have a lot more dedicated time in the next two. Hell, I don't think they even bothered introducing Pipin by name.

Caska asks Pippin for more wine or something like that near the end of the movie, but I don't think Rickert's name is even spoken. I think there's a decent chance they give some of the other characters more exposure in the next two movies, but I'm not holding my breath. I think most people that are already familiar with Berserk are just waiting for the stuff past the Eclipse anyway, as, for all of its faults, the original TV show handled the Golden Age pretty well overall.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I don't know. I thought the movie was pretty enjoyable v:shobon:v

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.
Movie was awesome.

As long as there weren't cgi characters talking to each other, which is never a good idea. Cgi for battles on the other hand is implemented very well indeed and undoes the biggest problem with the original series.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Awesome Welles posted:

:laffo: Seriously, who the gently caress thought this segment was good? If I get a chance I'm going to make this into a gif, because it looks so drat stiff and out of place, a screen cap just doesn't do it justice.
Yeah the way Griffith was walking in that scene was some uncanny-valley level poo poo.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, that scene was awful. Even if they would have just redrawn Gut's head there it would have made it much better. They must have been REALLY short on time. I'm surprised they didn't fix it for the blu-ray though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Niccy Bones posted:

Well, subs happened, and they're good! (No honorifics, proper romanization as far as I can tell, no karaeoke/lyrics in the opening, no translation notes, no untranslated words).

There was a few either missing words or poor grammar, I can't remember which.

The movie was pretty good but I'd prefer they remove the CG, it doesn't seem to really help anything in particular.

I can't speak of the voice actors because I liked the english ones, but it seemed fine.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 7, 2012

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If they removed the CG the movie would be 10 minutes long.

You realize the movie is primarily Cg because it's vastly less expensive than hand animation, right?

Commie's subs were great, a few typos but more than reasonable for a speed sub. For a movie that literally has a TV series and a comic that are better and basically anyone who is watching this movie has seen and committed to memory, the typos on a first out sub did not bother me.

I enjoyed it on the whole, looking forward to the rest, found myself laughing when I watched an ep of detroit metal city and saw some CG that looked better.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There was a few either missing words or poor grammar, I can't remember which.

The movie was pretty good but I'd prefer they remove the CG, it doesn't seem to really help anything in particular.

I can't speak of the voice actors because I liked the english ones, but it seemed fine.

About 90% of the CG was great and didn't look out of place (The other 10% looked hammy at it's worst).

If they hand animated all the CG it would probably cost ten times more than it actually did and the movie may have either taken longer to be released or suffered in order to cut costs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Azzents posted:

About 90% of the CG was great and didn't look out of place (The other 10% looked hammy at it's worst).

If they hand animated all the CG it would probably cost ten times more than it actually did and the movie may have either taken longer to be released or suffered in order to cut costs.

Yeah, the next one is out at the cinema in a couple of months I think, so at least they're being released in a pretty timely manner. Unlike the loving Evangelion movies. :argh:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Three movies within a year is pretty awesome I'd say, and Miura apparently asked them about doing the Black Swordsman arc next. I'd loving love to see the Count fight and the Guts\Femto confrontation animated.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't know it was less expensive. I thought it was more expensive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the next one is out at the cinema in a couple of months I think, so at least they're being released in a pretty timely manner. Unlike the loving Evangelion movies. :argh:

The delay for eva is not animation it's writing. They are making it up and doing drastic changes as they go along. And the cg in Eva is as bad as berserks. Looks at the people walking scenes before the school in 2.0. They look like zombies.

The bad cg is BAD in berserk. But tere is enough good combos that it makes up for it, while still being vastly worse than what hand animation would accomplish.

If they could manage to get out all the movies but take five times as long for the same price with hand animation is take it, but it's VASTLY cheaper, and unfortunately you can tell too often.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Think about the difference in the amount of time it would take to
A) Create a model, then move its limbs around and take pictures
or
B) Have to draw every single picture of a person moving

3D is way cheaper.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Well it's Studio 4c so I trust them to learn from this process and hope to see more consistent quality.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

3D is so much faster to make it's not even funny.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think 3D versus 2D is really that black and white. I'm sure a Pixar movie is just as much hard work and effort as a similar length classic hand-drawn Disney movie. The CGI in this movie in particular was clearly low quality, it didn't have very complex rendering or a lot of complicated animation.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Well, I assume this movie didn't have anywhere close to a Pixar-level production budget. You basically get what you pay for.

Other than that...I'm usually perfectly fine with even relatively modest 3D CGI quality when it comes to things like robots, mecha or vehicles and artificial objects that obviously lend themselves to computer modeling by default. They're not organic, so even a less than perfect model will work. These days, you usually don't need to make a huge effort in order to get those right or at least within generally acceptable limits.

The problems start when humans are going to be rendered in 3D, as is the case with Berserk. Making them look convincing at a low price isn't going to be that easy.

wielder fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 8, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't bring myself to get worked up over this movie at all, because in the end was this really a story that needed to be re-told?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Nate RFB posted:

I can't bring myself to get worked up over this movie at all, because in the end was this really a story that needed to be re-told?

No, but it's likely going to lead to them doing things beyond the Golden Age.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Do we have actual figures and responses to those figure from the first movie? Because if they are bad we aren't gonna go anywhere, cheap production or not. Each movie is going to bring in diminishing returns.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Nate RFB posted:

Also, seeing it animated is rad as hell.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The books don't start with the Golden Age, for a good reason I think. It's sort of a bait and switch because it's really not what the rest of the series is about and doesn't set the right tone. From the very first issue of the comic (hell from the first few pages) you already know what you're in for: sex, gore, monsters, and horrible violence. I guess Golden Age is easier to sell to a wider audience.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
I liked some of the touches like the changes to the assassination scene, but the animation was awful. I understand its the only affordable way but goddamn. Most of the time stuff looks like a sloppy low-budget PS2 FMV. I think the cheaper earlier animation honestly looked better. At least the series coloring didn't make static clothes look like a untalented teenagers ms paint project.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, aside from the fanwanky slowed down 'look how cool thiiiis is!" scenes, I vastly preferred the anime series take. Especially when it comes to side characters and development.

The problem is you can make really cool CG stuff, like with FMVs or say Advent Children, but that's a stylization. The problem with this is the CG itself is a style, but it's trying (and failing, mostly) to ape another. It's like not even uncanny valley. It's like uncanny uncanny valley. Like when you see those down syndrome looking girls in the Kanon adaptations. :downs:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
3D is cheaper, but good 3D can be just as expensive as 2D or more.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Indeed, but it's just that 3D is more of a lucrative offer to go with than 2D. Not to mention the fact, 2D animation tends not to be as profitable considering the stigma of people thinking animation is kiddy. :( Regardless, this is Japan we are talking about they will go the cheap option if it's viable. NOT saying that the Berserk movie is bad (it's alright) but I think it's more of a goal to at least keep an interest flowing without breaking a lot of bank for it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Do we have actual figures and responses to those figure from the first movie? Because if they are bad we aren't gonna go anywhere, cheap production or not. Each movie is going to bring in diminishing returns.

Given that the production team has stated they'll be putting plenty of focus on the overseas market, we might have to wait until global sales numbers start rolling in before jumping to any conclusions about what the ultimate fate of the series will be.

I don't think they're expecting it to make a huge amount of bank, necessarily. This is an adaptation of an ultra-violent manga full of nudity and ridiculous amounts of gore and weird poo poo, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Just saw the movie, and while the pacing is definitely frantic for those familiar with the material, I still liked it. The CG was jarring at some points, but I never minded it too much. The original Adonis scene got to me, and this one even more so, the way they were able to show the shock and guilt on Guts' part. The voice acting did seem off at first, but by the end of the movie it didn't really bother me. I'm really looking forward to the other movies.